The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Connecticut Donuts

Author Message
phlmaestro

Connecticut Donuts Wed, 03/12/08 2:41 PM (permalink)
A friend and I are taking a roadtrip up to New Haven a week from Saturday to try a Pepe's pizza.
My friend is a donut fanatic and often bemoans the fact that the only donut shops in our area are Dunkin Donuts. So I'd like to hit a good independent donut shop on our way home as we head back south on Rt. 95 or 15. I saw Coffee An reviewed on this site. They only mention the cake donuts. Can anyone tell me if they've got a complete array of donuts like most donut shops or do they just make a couple different flavors of cake donuts?
Also, feel free to mention other donut shops either in New Haven or south of there along either 95 or 15.
Thanks.
 
#1
    Tony Bad

    RE: Connecticut Donuts Wed, 03/12/08 2:46 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by phlmaestro

    A friend and I are taking a roadtrip up to New Haven a week from Saturday to try a Pepe's pizza.
    My friend is a donut fanatic and often bemoans the fact that the only donut shops in our area are Dunkin Donuts. So I'd like to hit a good independent donut shop on our way home as we head back south on Rt. 95 or 15. I saw Coffee An reviewed on this site. They only mention the cake donuts. Can anyone tell me if they've got a complete array of donuts like most donut shops or do they just make a couple different flavors of cake donuts?
    Also, feel free to mention other donut shops either in New Haven or south of there along either 95 or 15.
    Thanks.


    The donuts from[url='http://roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=643'] HERE [/url] are among the best I have had anywhere. It may be a bit out of your way though.
     
    #2
      exsquidao

      • Total Posts: 409
      • Joined: 3/9/2007
      • Location: shelton, CT
      RE: Connecticut Donuts Wed, 03/12/08 3:00 PM (permalink)
      Yalesville's not too far from NH, just get on 91N exit 13 or 12 or something.
       
      #3
        phlmaestro

        RE: Connecticut Donuts Wed, 03/12/08 4:52 PM (permalink)
        I saw them, but it's just too far out of the way. We both live in downtown Philly without a car and will have one only for a limited amount of time. We can't go to Neil's this time around.
        But I'll be visiting a friend in central CT in April and may try to get to Neil's then.
         
        #4
          phlmaestro

          RE: Connecticut Donuts Wed, 03/12/08 4:57 PM (permalink)
          You know. I just took another look at the map. It's not quite as far north of where we'll be as I thought. I guess I misjudged the first time. I'll see how we're doing for time. '

          But in case we can't make it to Neil's, I'd still appreciate comments on the donuts and variety of them at Coffee An.
           
          #5
            JBarry713

            • Total Posts: 243
            • Joined: 1/25/2006
            • Location: Wilton, CT
            RE: Connecticut Donuts Thu, 03/13/08 12:26 AM (permalink)
            The doughnuts at Coffee An are the best I've ever had, though I haven't been to Neil's (yet). If you go, try to get there early as the amount of doughnuts is limited and the place is small - plus the doughnuts alwasy taste a little better slightly warmed. The variety is pretty good, but not that wide. I have noted what type of doughnut batter is used in parenthesis. Off the top of my head they serve a coconut twist (cake), chocolate glazed (cake), cinnamon-sugar (cake), powdered (cake), plain (cake), glazed (yeast), powdered raspberry jelly (yeast), and plain with chocolate glaze on top (yeast). I do like their yeast doughnuts, but what really steals the show at Coffee An are any of their doughnuts made with the cake batter. Hope this helps.
             
            #6
              phlmaestro

              RE: Connecticut Donuts Thu, 03/13/08 1:03 PM (permalink)
              Thanks Jack. It definitely does, although I don't think we'll be able to get there too early in the day because of how far we're coming from.
               
              #7
                Unkle Lunkle

                • Total Posts: 22
                • Joined: 10/18/2007
                • Location: West Hartford, CT
                RE: Connecticut Donuts Thu, 03/13/08 10:19 PM (permalink)
                Tastee's Donuts on New Park Avenue in Hartford are a favorite of ours. My brother-in-law in NY tipped me off about 2 years ago. It's a small "mom 'n pop" operation featuring small bitesized donuts that have been pains takenly decorated with a multitude of favors, colors, and toppings - probably 25 or more combinations. A box of 25 runs about $8. Kids love 'em (young and old).

                They also serve lunches - the Cuban is their specialty. I'll do a Roadfood retaurant feature in the days ahead.

                If you plan to visit, check their hours as the can change, but you can usually count on them being open from 7:00 a.m. until about 2:00 p.m. during the week days and Saturday. No Sundays.
                 
                #8
                  ayersian

                  RE: Connecticut Donuts Fri, 04/11/08 2:03 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Unkle Lunkle

                  Tastee's Donuts on New Park Avenue in Hartford are a favorite of ours. My brother-in-law in NY tipped me off about 2 years ago. It's a small "mom 'n pop" operation featuring small bitesized donuts that have been pains takenly decorated with a multitude of favors, colors, and toppings - probably 25 or more combinations. A box of 25 runs about $8. Kids love 'em (young and old).
                  Unkle, you've outdone yourself -- today's review is spectacular! I'm planning on going this weekend for a box of midis. Thanks very much for the tip! Chris
                   
                  #9
                    Tony Bad

                    RE: Connecticut Donuts Fri, 04/11/08 4:39 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by ayersian

                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Unkle Lunkle

                    Tastee's Donuts on New Park Avenue in Hartford are a favorite of ours. My brother-in-law in NY tipped me off about 2 years ago. It's a small "mom 'n pop" operation featuring small bitesized donuts that have been pains takenly decorated with a multitude of favors, colors, and toppings - probably 25 or more combinations. A box of 25 runs about $8. Kids love 'em (young and old).
                    Unkle, you've outdone yourself -- today's review is spectacular! I'm planning on going this weekend for a box of midis. Thanks very much for the tip! Chris


                    I agree with Chris...great review! I am adding this to my must stop list on my next trip thru Hartford. Let us know how you make out Chris!
                     
                    #10
                      FrankBooth

                      • Total Posts: 185
                      • Joined: 5/24/2005
                      • Location: Brooklyn, NY
                      RE: Connecticut Donuts Fri, 04/11/08 4:50 PM (permalink)
                      COFFEE AN' DONUTS- a bit of a trip off of 95, but not so bad, just a few miles and so worth the trip. cake donuts to die for- great simple luncheonette type food too (egg salad sandwich with bacon on rye please...), but the donuts are just spectacular. everytime... enjoy fb
                       
                      #11
                        Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                        Jump to:

                        Current active users

                        There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                        Icon Legend and Permission

                        • New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

                        2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com