Connecticut Travelin' Around in Circles

Author
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1847
2007/07/19 10:32:14 (permalink)

Connecticut Travelin' Around in Circles

Hi All,

Using my GPS that is loaded with the Roadfood POI's, along with the desire to post photos of places real close to me, I decided it is time to post about what is here in Connecticut.
A good breakfast is the way to start a day. I went to Dottie's Diner.
The counter near the kitchen door is the place where the regulars seem to be sitting and here are a some women who were holding court over all that day. Paris Hilton and her underwear was the topic of the day.

Here is the corned beef hash with two poached eggs. This is a well seasoned melange. No amount of photoshopping can help this photo. The chocolate donuts that the Stern's raved about were not available.

There are plenty of places that rate highly for their dogs. Here is the well regarded Blackie's, with their deep fried dogs. I had a solo dog with their piquant green pepper relish and a birch beer.

Lunch was just about to start so there were some spare seats

I am sure that some of you are wondering how could I eat just one? This is because five minutes later, I was at Al's. Here is their Hippo, which includes chili, cheese, kraut, bacon and the addition of their sweet Hawaiian relish. The carbord holder for this dog could not stand the weight and collapsed halfway.

Al's has a larger selection of choices from burgers to seafood to the day's special of pulled pork. You can see this place immediately after passing it on the highway.

Those places are within a few minutes from me. I headed west, towards Danbury with intentions of going north from there. Danbury has a few great places, but the first place that was on my GPS was the Roadside Chili Parlor. It seems that this place has been around for a long time from appearances.
Heck, even the Roadfood listed review is in black and white. To the left is a area with picnic tables for eating outside.

A cup of their signature chili. As a chili-head, I was less than impressed. There was a tang to its taste, but no real chili or cumin flavor. The meat had a minced and somewhat mealy mouth feel to it. It was not ground beef, maybe stewed to the 9th degree. There is some cheese and a noticeable layer of grease on top. I am sure that it is fine on their hotdogs. The best part was the flour tortilla chips that were incredibly light and airy.

I headed north, along RT#7 which goes all the way to the Canadian border. I think that this will be a great future road trip. I posted about this before, but when I saw this bus, I had to make a very quick U-turn.
Here is a better picture of the bus of my dreams and their burger. I forgot to ask for the lettuce, tomato and onion, but the line at the window caused me to forgo those additions. It is an incredible set-up and while there I saw that they were making the chili from scratch.

I consider the previous photos as a great example for this site. You never know what you'll find just by driving around. I will go back and stop at this bus again. I think that it may deserve a Roadfood review.
I headed all the way to the Massachusetts border and then took a country route that eventually led me back home for this day.
Next up, I will post about my day trip heading south and along the coast, heading eastward.

mark

11 Replies Related Threads

HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Connecticut Travelin' Around in Circles 2007/07/19 14:51:06 (permalink)
    Excellent post! Keep them coming.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3741
    RE: Connecticut Travelin' Around in Circles 2007/07/19 15:19:40 (permalink)
    What a fun way to spend a day! Looks like you had a great Roadfood adventure.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Connecticut Travelin' Around in Circles 2007/07/19 17:20:44 (permalink)
    Great way to spend a day, very nice job on the post & pics Mark.

Thanks
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7921
    RE: Connecticut Travelin' Around in Circles 2007/07/19 22:14:52 (permalink)
    Doggydaddy,

Looks like you had a great day for roadfood...
    Considering your "topic de jour" at Dottie's Diner, in my food deprived state of mind right now, that Hippo at Al's appeals to me more than Paris Hilton and her underwear!
    doggydaddy
    RE: Connecticut Travelin' Around in Circles 2007/07/19 22:15:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

Great way to spend a day, very nice job on the post & pics Mark.

Thanks

Thanks all and to John,

I have a great part two coming up, but I want to thank John for all his help in learning how to get the photos transferred. I still need to work on getting a picture within the real frame, but I am getting close.

mark
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Connecticut Travelin' Around in Circles 2007/07/21 21:29:51 (permalink)
    hi doggy daddy,
    nice pics. I love hot dog stands like "Al's "... (where is it located exactly?)
    and the deep fried hot dog from Blackie's looks good! (I'll take mine extra extra crispy please!)

looking forward to part 2 , Mark !
    doggydaddy
    RE: Connecticut Travelin' Around in Circles 2007/07/22 09:08:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ellen4641

hi doggy daddy,
    nice pics. I love hot dog stands like "Al's "... (where is it located exactly?)
    and the deep fried hot dog from Blackie's looks good! (I'll take mine extra extra crispy please!)

looking forward to part 2 , Mark !

Thanks Ellen,

It is due to your many posts of your travels that have caused me to add my two cents. I am going to add part 2 real soon, and frankly this could become a continuing feature as there are so many Roadfood places within a very close radius.

Al's and Blackies are incredibly close with each one basically the next exit in each direction. There are many places like these two.
    I found out about one such place yesterday that has been flying right under my radar. A dishwasher came in with a take-out bag containing a great looking juicy burger and an orange freeze. I have to get there quick as it is losing its lease after many years.

mark
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Connecticut Travelin' Around in Circles 2007/07/22 16:02:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ellen4641
    I love hot dog stands like "Al's "... (where is it located exactly?)
    It's off Rte. 8 Exit 26 in Naugatuck -- just south of Waterbury. There's a review on Roadfood.com here: http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=3128
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Connecticut Travelin' Around in Circles 2007/07/23 18:03:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by doggydaddy

Thanks Ellen,

It is due to your many posts of your travels that have caused me to add my two cents. I am going to add part 2 real soon

mark

thanks doggydaddy, mark. You made my day!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4091
    RE: Connecticut Travelin' Around in Circles 2007/07/23 18:22:49 (permalink)
    Thanks, doggydaddy. Excellent photos and text. It's a great collection you have. Makes this California boy want to plan another trip to Connecticut for something besides clams and pizza!
    doggydaddy
    RE: Connecticut Travelin' Around in Circles 2007/07/25 14:30:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails

Thanks, doggydaddy. Excellent photos and text. It's a great collection you have. Makes this California boy want to plan another trip to Connecticut for something besides clams and pizza!

Thanks Ed.

For me it is the other way around as this California boy sure misses the Bay Area. I think that this will happen in the holidays, but it isn't soon enough. Anyway, Part 2 is up and I had fun with where i went on that trip.

mark
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1