Hot!Connecticut grinders

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
JB-ME
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/06 18:08:27 (permalink)
Ketteract
ann peeples
Beautiful looking sandwich! I tried Utz chips for the first time recently-just the regular ones-but was eyeballing the ones you pictured. How were they?

Old Bay seasoning, essentially. If you like that, you'll like these!
Utz and Wise seem to be the two huge brands of potato chips in this area, and I generally prefer Utz's, especially their salt and vinegar which is one of the most pleasingly acidic I've found. So many brands hold back when it comes to that variety.

I love Old Bay Seasoning, but this flavor of Utz chips didn't rate a second buy for me. Maybe I was hoping for crab flavor? I, too, like the salt and vinegar chips. I love other Utz chips, too. I have purchased directly from the company, as well as at Hannaford's, Walmart, and Sam's Club. Utz has some wonderful varieties/flavors, including dark russet kettle chips and sweet potato chips. Wish I had some of each now. Utz has several flavors of BBQ chips and all are good. Not a fan of Wise at all.
   I don't know if they are available in CT, but here in Maine I like to buy Humpty Dumpty brand chips. If you like salt and vinegar chips, you might also like HD's version--as well as their dill pickle chips. Same puckery idea with a dill flavor. HD also has sour cream and clam chips and cheese and onion chips. All are awesome!
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 230
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/06 18:14:55 (permalink)
JB-ME
I don't know if they are available in CT, but here in Maine I like to buy Humpty Dumpty brand chips. If you like salt and vinegar chips, you might also like HD's version--as well as their dill pickle chips. Same puckery idea with a dill flavor. HD also has sour cream and clam chips and cheese and onion chips. All are awesome!

You know, I first read about Humpty Dumpty chips in a Stephen King novel a million years ago, and I always remembered them because I thought that was such a funny name for a chip brand.  I've looked for them in several stores here in CT - Stop 'n' Shop, Krauszer's, Price Chopper, Wal-Mart, Stew Leonard's, Whole Foods, Fresh Market - and struck out each time.  Would love to try them, though, especially dill pickle.  I haven't had that flavor in forever, and it seems to be a difficult flavor to find, even here. 
post edited by Ketteract - 2014/09/06 18:16:36
JB-ME
Hamburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/06 18:42:42 (permalink)
Lay's makes dill pickle chips, too, though I think Humpty Dumpty was making them long before Lay's. Humpty Dumpty was started in South Portland a long time ago and bought out by a Canadian company 10+ years ago. I prefer the dill pickle chips over the salt and vinegar. The other two HD flavors I mentioned are really good. I'm not a King fan, so I didn't know about his mention of HD in one of his many books. It doesn't surprise me, though, since he has lived in Maine most of his life. He was born here, and unless he has moved recently, lives in a huge, old mansion in Bangor.
post edited by JB-ME - 2014/09/06 19:57:42
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 420
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/10 15:33:26 (permalink)

This is a combination grinder from the Second Poquonock Grinder in Windsor Locks, CT

The price for the half (8 inches) is $7.95 I found it very tasty.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/13 12:47:30 (permalink)
Visited Second Poquonock today myself, on the way back from Springfield!  I chose the roast beef.  Excellent quality beef, as you can see, and plenty of it.  I didn't like that the veggies were in between the cheese and the meat, and the sandwich was also a tad dry, but a couple of mayo packets fixed that.

Sampled their pizza too for good measure.  This is hamburg.  The topping was good, but overall the slice was underwhelming.

Just for the heck of it, here are a couple of nice old houses I saw in Springfield.

Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/20 12:14:50 (permalink)
On the advice of a coworker, today I checked out Carbone's Market in Torrington.  He recommended their roast beef after seeing my pics from Second Poquonock, claiming Carbone's was superior.

It is.  It blows Second Poquonock away.

The beef is thicker-cut, juicier, tastier, and more plentiful.  And a sandwich with "everything" includes cheese, mayo, lettuce, tomato, onions, roasted peppers, oil and vinegar dressing, and what appears to be some kind of Italian seasoning.  I should have taken a pic from the side - there were tons of peppers.

It was the most delicious roast beef sandwich I've ever had.  Absolutely worth the drive to Torrington.  

They also have homemade chili, baked mac and cheese, a great selection of chips including Utz Onion 'n' Garlic (which I'd never seen in stores), and various shelves of grocery items.  I foresee many, many trips to Carbone's in my future.

post edited by Ketteract - 2014/09/20 12:20:50
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6878
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/20 12:41:43 (permalink)
That looks really, really good!
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/20 12:44:19 (permalink)
It was ridiculously good. I generally prefer hot grinders like chicken/eggplant parm, meatball, sausage, etc., but my coworker was adamant that I start at Carbone's with the roast beef. 
JB-ME
Hamburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/20 20:58:02 (permalink)
That does look really, really good. Does the coworker have any other suggestions?
stevep
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/09/20 23:03:23 (permalink)
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/21 10:21:22 (permalink)
JB-ME
That does look really, really good. Does the coworker have any other suggestions?

Haha I'll have to ask.  The only other place I've heard him mention in conversation is BurgerFi, which appears to be a primarily East Coast chain.  They have a location in Avon.  I'm going to GoldBurgers in Newington before I go there, though.
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/09/22 08:44:02 (permalink)
On my way to New Haven last week I stopped for gas at an exit in Meriden.  There was a place called Nardelli's Grinder Shop.   I did not have time to eat, but checked out their website later and it looked very good.

There was also an upscale burger place there called Jake's Wayback Burger.  Looks like another good spot to try.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/09/22 09:38:54 (permalink)
Wistah
On my way to New Haven last week I stopped for gas at an exit in Meriden.  There was a place called Nardelli's Grinder Shop.   I did not have time to eat, but checked out their website later and it looked very good.

There was also an upscale burger place there called Jake's Wayback Burger.  Looks like another good spot to try.

Compared to other grinder shops I've been to, Nardelli's is merely adequate.  They do a quality Italian combo, and as far as regional chains go, they're better than most, but there are superior places to be found along I-91.  The next time you're going that route, my top recommendations are:

- Franklin Giant Grinder in Hartford
- Wethersfield Pizza House
- H&M Giant Grinder in Windsor Locks
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18483
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/09/22 11:36:02 (permalink)
Clearly, things have changed in Connecticut since I grew up there. If you wanted a sub you went to a local Italian grocery where someone would make one for you.
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2419
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/09/22 11:46:35 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Clearly, things have changed in Connecticut since I grew up there. If you wanted a sub you went to a local Italian grocery where someone would make one for you.

They took the Italian roll and sliced the meats right in front of you. I was thinking yesterday of a small pizza place that I used to hang around. We called the lady who owned it Mama. She would make Salami and provolone, then heat them in the oven on grinder rolls. OMG, I could eat these every day of my life...........I now make these for Mollie.....
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18483
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/09/22 12:52:54 (permalink)
pnwchef
Michael Hoffman

They took the Italian roll and sliced the meats right in front of you. I was thinking yesterday of a small pizza place that I used to hang around. We called the lady who owned it Mama. She would make Salami and provolone, then heat them in the oven on grinder rolls. OMG, I could eat these every day of my life...........I now make these for Mollie.....

I used to go to Marchitto's Grocery on Dixwell Avenue in Hamden. Charley Marchitto's mother would make the sandwiches. She'd take a loaf of Italian bread (pointed on each end) and cut it in half, slice it open and pull out some of the crumb to make room for the filling. Then she'd drizzle olive oil on the bread and sprinkle dried oregano before layering Genoa salami, mortadella, capicola, provolone, roasted peppers and sliced olives. Boy, that sandwich, a lemon Frisbee pie and a Pepsi made for a terrific lunch -- all eaten while sitting out front on Marchitto's stoop.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2014/09/22 15:10:47
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/09/22 15:18:39 (permalink)
Ketteract
Wistah

Compared to other grinder shops I've been to, Nardelli's is merely adequate.  They do a quality Italian combo, and as far as regional chains go, they're better than most, but there are superior places to be found along I-91.  The next time you're going that route, my top recommendations are:

- Franklin Giant Grinder in Hartford
- Wethersfield Pizza House
- H&M Giant Grinder in Windsor Locks

I am surprised that the Maple giant grinder is not on your list.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/09/22 16:35:39 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
pnwchef
Michael Hoffman

I used to go to Marchitto's Grocery on Dixwell Avenue in Hamden. Charley Marchitto's mother would make the sandwiches. She'd take a loaf of Italian bread (pointed on each end) and cut it in half, slice it open and pull out some of the crumb to make room for the filling. Then she'd drizzle olive oil on the bread and sprinkle dried oregano before layering Genoa salami, mortadella, capicola, provolone, roasted peppers and sliced olives. Boy, that sandwich, a lemon Frisbee pie and a Pepsi made for a terrific lunch -- all eaten while sitting out front on Marchitto's stoop.

Reading this makes me want to embark on a quest to see what remaining mom 'n' pop grocery stores in Connecticut will make me a good grinder.

When I lived in Middletown, I would sometimes go to the Krauszer's store in nearby Cromwell and have one made. There was a sign behind the counter with the Kohler logo, and the roast beef I got was some of the best I'd had. (I was curious about the Kohler company, but if they're still around, they don't have a website that I can find. This thread seemed to indicate that they survived the '80s/'90s Boar's Head onslaught.)

waltpiii
I am surprised that the Maple giant grinder is not on your list.

Depends on what kind of grinder you want, and what I've tried. If you want chicken cutlet, then I'd easily recommend Franklin or Wethersfield over Maple, but I haven't tried H&M's. For a sausage-and-meatball combo, Maple has the edge over Franklin, but I haven't tried H&M's or Wethersfield's. For an Italian combo, H&M does the best I've had here so far, but it's possible that Franklin or Maple could do better.
stevep
Hamburger
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/09/23 21:12:25 (permalink)
Great thread. I have to hang around here more often! I tried H&M today because of this thread, and I have to say I didn't care for it. I had the Italian grinder. They give you a ton of meat but it didn't have a whole lot of flavor. It was missing that **BAM** flavor explosion you get with some other Italian grinders. I'd give it a 3 out of 5.

Here's a pic of the Italian from H&M today:

Here's an Italian I had at Cardona's in Albany recently. This is easily in my top 3 of all time. Better meats, better bread, better made:

And another good Italian. Lucy D's in Stratford, CT. Outstanding bread. Even though I think a lot of the meat was Boar's Head, the flavor combination really worked:

Another great Italian grinder is the Classic Italian on a half Vienna from Frigo's in Springfield, MA. IMO, it's the quintessential Italian grinder. Unfortunately I don't have a picture but I will take one next time I visit, and I'll post it on here.
stevep
Hamburger
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/09/23 21:17:32 (permalink)
Ketteract, Carbone's is next on my list. I would have gone there today as it was my first choice, but it was too far out of the way. I'll plan an upcoming work day in that part of the state :)
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/09/24 07:16:12 (permalink)
Those other two do look fantastic. Sorry your H&M experience was underwhelming - I honestly thought the meats in my Italian combo there were very flavorful, but then, I still have a lot of exploring to do!  The drive to Stratford would be a bit of a pain, but it turns out that I will go far for a good grinder...

Frigo's is the closest to me, so they're next on my list.  I will say that the bread has been a common weak point among the grinder shops I've visited so far.  Zerio's, Carbone's, and Nardelli's have impressed me with their bread; the latter two apparently use the Milite Bakery in Waterbury, for what that's worth.  They hollow out the bread some to make room for the fillings - I'm actually afraid to ask them to do otherwise.
post edited by Ketteract - 2014/09/24 07:17:58
stevep
Hamburger
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/09/24 07:23:33 (permalink)
Frigo's is a mad house at lunch time, but they have the Classic Italians available for grab and go. So, don't let the line intimidate you.

Lucy D's is good but not sure it would be worth the drive for you. However, Antonio's Rt 5 Sub Shop is worth the drive IMO. Panini's as big as your head, and a rotating menu of homemade soups.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/a...p-and-deli-north-haven
post edited by stevep - 2014/09/24 07:35:39
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/25 12:13:01 (permalink)
I went to Frigo's yesterday.  I had a "Hot Cut" which is a combo of hot Capacolla and Genoa Salami.  It was very tasty. The roll was hollowed in the middle to accommodate the meat and veggies.  My only complaint is that they put to much oil and vinegar which made the roll soggy before I finished.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8388
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/25 12:20:15 (permalink)
Boy oh boy-this thread and the pictures are killing me...
stevep
Hamburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/25 14:50:45 (permalink)
I visited Frigo's today and unfortunately their Classic Italian has been downsized. I think the meats changed too. Still a decent grinder but not what it used to be. I can no longer recommend the Classic Italian as worthy of a road trip.

Walt, glad you liked the hot cut. I hear their dirty Italian is also good, though I've not tried either. Maybe I'll try one of these next.

I still can't wait to try the roast beef in Torrington.... next week for sure.
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 315
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/26 07:31:30 (permalink)
Vito's in New Haven is another "not to miss" spot for a great grinder / sub.

Attached Image(s)

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1