Hot!Connecticut grinders

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
JB-ME
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/06 18:08:27 (permalink)
Ketteract
ann peeples
Beautiful looking sandwich! I tried Utz chips for the first time recently-just the regular ones-but was eyeballing the ones you pictured. How were they?

Old Bay seasoning, essentially. If you like that, you'll like these!
Utz and Wise seem to be the two huge brands of potato chips in this area, and I generally prefer Utz's, especially their salt and vinegar which is one of the most pleasingly acidic I've found. So many brands hold back when it comes to that variety.

I love Old Bay Seasoning, but this flavor of Utz chips didn't rate a second buy for me. Maybe I was hoping for crab flavor? I, too, like the salt and vinegar chips. I love other Utz chips, too. I have purchased directly from the company, as well as at Hannaford's, Walmart, and Sam's Club. Utz has some wonderful varieties/flavors, including dark russet kettle chips and sweet potato chips. Wish I had some of each now. Utz has several flavors of BBQ chips and all are good. Not a fan of Wise at all.
   I don't know if they are available in CT, but here in Maine I like to buy Humpty Dumpty brand chips. If you like salt and vinegar chips, you might also like HD's version--as well as their dill pickle chips. Same puckery idea with a dill flavor. HD also has sour cream and clam chips and cheese and onion chips. All are awesome!
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 213
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/06 18:14:55 (permalink)
JB-ME
I don't know if they are available in CT, but here in Maine I like to buy Humpty Dumpty brand chips. If you like salt and vinegar chips, you might also like HD's version--as well as their dill pickle chips. Same puckery idea with a dill flavor. HD also has sour cream and clam chips and cheese and onion chips. All are awesome!

You know, I first read about Humpty Dumpty chips in a Stephen King novel a million years ago, and I always remembered them because I thought that was such a funny name for a chip brand.  I've looked for them in several stores here in CT - Stop 'n' Shop, Krauszer's, Price Chopper, Wal-Mart, Stew Leonard's, Whole Foods, Fresh Market - and struck out each time.  Would love to try them, though, especially dill pickle.  I haven't had that flavor in forever, and it seems to be a difficult flavor to find, even here. 
post edited by Ketteract - 2014/09/06 18:16:36
JB-ME
Hamburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/06 18:42:42 (permalink)
Lay's makes dill pickle chips, too, though I think Humpty Dumpty was making them long before Lay's. Humpty Dumpty was started in South Portland a long time ago and bought out by a Canadian company 10+ years ago. I prefer the dill pickle chips over the salt and vinegar. The other two HD flavors I mentioned are really good. I'm not a King fan, so I didn't know about his mention of HD in one of his many books. It doesn't surprise me, though, since he has lived in Maine most of his life. He was born here, and unless he has moved recently, lives in a huge, old mansion in Bangor.
post edited by JB-ME - 2014/09/06 19:57:42
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/10 15:33:26 (permalink)

This is a combination grinder from the Second Poquonock Grinder in Windsor Locks, CT

The price for the half (8 inches) is $7.95 I found it very tasty.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/13 12:47:30 (permalink)
Visited Second Poquonock today myself, on the way back from Springfield!  I chose the roast beef.  Excellent quality beef, as you can see, and plenty of it.  I didn't like that the veggies were in between the cheese and the meat, and the sandwich was also a tad dry, but a couple of mayo packets fixed that.

Sampled their pizza too for good measure.  This is hamburg.  The topping was good, but overall the slice was underwhelming.

Just for the heck of it, here are a couple of nice old houses I saw in Springfield.

Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/20 12:14:50 (permalink)
On the advice of a coworker, today I checked out Carbone's Market in Torrington.  He recommended their roast beef after seeing my pics from Second Poquonock, claiming Carbone's was superior.

It is.  It blows Second Poquonock away.

The beef is thicker-cut, juicier, tastier, and more plentiful.  And a sandwich with "everything" includes cheese, mayo, lettuce, tomato, onions, roasted peppers, oil and vinegar dressing, and what appears to be some kind of Italian seasoning.  I should have taken a pic from the side - there were tons of peppers.

It was the most delicious roast beef sandwich I've ever had.  Absolutely worth the drive to Torrington.  

They also have homemade chili, baked mac and cheese, a great selection of chips including Utz Onion 'n' Garlic (which I'd never seen in stores), and various shelves of grocery items.  I foresee many, many trips to Carbone's in my future.

post edited by Ketteract - 2014/09/20 12:20:50
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6829
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/20 12:41:43 (permalink)
That looks really, really good!
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/20 12:44:19 (permalink)
It was ridiculously good. I generally prefer hot grinders like chicken/eggplant parm, meatball, sausage, etc., but my coworker was adamant that I start at Carbone's with the roast beef. 
JB-ME
Hamburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/09/20 20:58:02 (permalink)
That does look really, really good. Does the coworker have any other suggestions?
stevep
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/09/20 23:03:23 (permalink)
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1