Hot!Connecticut grinders

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Author
JB-ME
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 138
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/10/13 12:05:55 (permalink)
Unless they do something different in the Italian vs salami versions of their grinders, the dressing is just plain salad oil. Once years ago I asked if they used any special oil, and they told me the brand name--one all would recognize. Mixed in your case with mayo it would form its own kind of dressing along with the s&p, if you answered yes to that.
This is making me hungry!! I am looking forward to the last weekend of the month, when my sister and some other family members will be visiting. I'm hoping they stop at D'elia's on the way up from NJ. 
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 286
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/10/24 19:37:09 (permalink)
Today's grinder comes to you from Rosa's Deli in Wallingford, which is also where the alternate datacenter is located for the hospital I work at.

I hadn't had eggplant in a while, so I opted for an eggplant and meatball combo.

Hiding under that glorious layer of eggplant were some very, very tasty meatballs - better than Maple's, maybe!

Some places that I've visited choose to season their meatballs very mildly, sometimes to the point of blandness, and I was glad that wasn't the case here.  I need to come back and see what their sausage is like.

They also had a full range of Italian dinners.  I keep intending to try those whenever I see them.  A big steaming plate of cacciatore or pizzaiola sounds so good.
post edited by Ketteract - 2014/10/24 19:45:46
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8650
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/10/26 09:27:24 (permalink)
Rosa's sounds like a winner! And for the sake of research, you need to try some of the dinners you have mentioned.....
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/10/26 11:20:52 (permalink)
Here's a sampling of the entree section from a handful of grinder shops. At some places it seems to be a mere afterthought, where others put in more effort.  I'm curious about both.

Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/10/30 20:01:52 (permalink)
JB-ME
On the way home from visiting, dad would stop at a mom and pop grocery and buy grinders and a big bag of State Line potato chips for an easy supper, when we got home. 

Route 11
And JB-ME is right. Gotta have some State Lines alongside.

I finally tried State Line chips today.  They were surprisingly hard to find!  Stop 'n' Shop, Price Chopper, Wal-Mart, Big Y, and Stew Leonard's did not have them.  I finally found them at the old-lady gift shop in the lobby of the hospital where I work (alongside other oddly elusive treats like Chuckles, Mary Jane, and Chick-O-Stick).

I really liked them - they're more potatoey and less salty, certainly less salty than other potato chips I've had, like Wise, Herr's, or Lay's.  One of my older coworkers told me that State Line used to be one of the two big brands of chips in Connecticut, and he was excited when I brought the bag back to my desk to share.  He didn't know the gift shop had them either.  
post edited by Ketteract - 2014/10/30 20:04:11
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18857
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/10/30 20:10:00 (permalink)
Boy, when I was growing up just about the only potato chips you could find in the New Haven, Hamden, Milford area were State Line and Wise.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/10/30 20:13:07 (permalink)
Yep, he said Wise was the other one! Funny for a young'un like me to think of a time when Lay's wasn't that big of a player.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/10/30 20:28:39 (permalink)
And apparently their product line used to be larger!  

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/10/30 20:33:10 (permalink)
You know that notch in the state line between Connecticut and Massachusetts? That's where the signpost for State Line was planted in the logo on the bags of chips when I was a kid.
JB-ME
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/10/31 00:51:03 (permalink)
What you quoted about Stateline chips was part of my very first RF post, where I also mentioned D'Elia's in Norwich. I haven't had any Stateline chips in years, but they were big not only in CT, but in western MA, where I lived for a while as a child. The original building sat on the MA-CT state line. When we again lived in western MA years later, they were made in the town where I lived--Wilbraham--and their building was on Route 20--not far from Springfield, MA.
I'm glad you found some and they are still good! And to think they are available where you work! Wise chips are widely available here in Maine. I like a Maine brand Humpty Dumpty better. I think I've mentioned those before.
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 219
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/10/31 17:27:53 (permalink)
JB-ME
What you quoted about Stateline chips was part of my very first RF post, where I also mentioned D'Elia's in Norwich. I haven't had any Stateline chips in years, but they were big not only in CT, but in western MA, where I lived for a while as a child. The original building sat on the MA-CT state line. When we again lived in western MA years later, they were made in the town where I lived--Wilbraham--and their building was on Route 20--not far from Springfield, MA.
I'm glad you found some and they are still good! And to think they are available where you work! Wise chips are widely available here in Maine. I like a Maine brand Humpty Dumpty better. I think I've mentioned those before.

I wonder who makes Stateline Chips now?  I have not seen them in years.  Many years ago I drove past the abandoned State Line factory on Rte 20.  Sad to see.

Wachusett is another brand of chips, they were bought by some big company (mabe UTZ?) but the Wachusett brand is still ubiquitous here in central MA in sub/pizza shops. They usually have Lays too.

I believe that Wachusett still operates a production plant on the Fitchburg/Leominster line.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/11/01 13:28:25 (permalink)
JB-MEOn the way home from visiting, dad would stop at a mom and pop grocery and buy grinders

Michael Hoffman
I guess things have changed a lot in Connecticut if most subs are bought in pizza joints. I remember having to go into small grocery stores to get them made, and pizzerias didn't sell anything but pies..

Today I went to the Krauszer's in East Hartford to try their sandwiches.  Not quite mom 'n' pop, but a small chain with small stores that's been around for a long time.  

Note the Dietz & Watson sign - refreshing to see something other than Boar's Head advertised!  

I remember the Krauszer's in Cromwell having a Kohler sign behind their counter. They once served me some fantastic roast beef.

The menu stretched over to the right.  The selection was very impressive - more choices than I'd seen at a lot of dedicated grinder shops.  I wanted to get a clearer picture of the menu but couldn't do so inconspicuously.  There were several patrons waiting.

I noticed immediately that they cooked the ingredients for their hot grinders onsite!  One fellow had a cheesesteak prepared for him while I waited.  I ordered a "spicy Italian" in their smallest size with dressing, mayo, and salt and pepper.  They asked me what kind of cheese, and I chose provolone, after a moment's pause because I wasn't used to having anything other than provolone available in grinder shops.  

From what I could tell without pulling everything apart, the meats were capicola, salami, and ham.  They were excellent.  The bread was as good as it looks.  There wasn't as much mayo as my picture suggests.

And here's the real kicker: it was a whopping $4.49.  This was the most inexpensive grinder I've come across, and I've definitely paid more for lesser grinders in the past.  I ended up getting a bag of State Line chips (yeah, Krauszer's had them!) to meet the $5 minimum for credit cards, though I needed to replenish my supply anyway.

I'll certainly be returning to this store to try their other sandwiches.  
post edited by Ketteract - 2014/11/01 13:56:00
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/11/01 14:08:52 (permalink)
WistahWachusett is another brand of chips, they were bought by some big company (mabe UTZ?) but the Wachusett brand is still ubiquitous here in central MA in sub/pizza shops. They usually have Lays too.

I believe that Wachusett still operates a production plant on the Fitchburg/Leominster line.

I've wanted to try Wachusett chips ever since I saw almost all their varieties get glowing reviews on taquitos.net.  I haven't been able to find them anywhere in CT, though.  Even the Stop 'n' Shop up in Springfield didn't have them (or Humpty Dumpty).  Guess I'll have to drive further north!
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1767
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/11/01 15:29:24 (permalink)
Ketteract
JB-MEOn the way home from visiting, dad would stop at a mom and pop grocery and buy grinders

Michael Hoffman
I guess things have changed a lot in Connecticut if most subs are bought in pizza joints. I remember having to go into small grocery stores to get them made, and pizzerias didn't sell anything but pies..

Today I went to the Krauszer's in East Hartford to try their sandwiches.  Not quite mom 'n' pop, but a small chain with small stores that's been around for a long time.  

Note the Dietz & Watson sign - refreshing to see something other than Boar's Head advertised!  

I remember the Krauszer's in Cromwell having a Kohler sign behind their counter. They once served me some fantastic roast beef.

The menu stretched over to the right.  The selection was very impressive - more choices than I'd seen at a lot of dedicated grinder shops.  I wanted to get a clearer picture of the menu but couldn't do so inconspicuously.  There were several patrons waiting.

I noticed immediately that they cooked the ingredients for their hot grinders onsite!  One fellow had a cheesesteak prepared for him while I waited.  I ordered a "spicy Italian" in their smallest size with dressing, mayo, and salt and pepper.  They asked me what kind of cheese, and I chose provolone, after a moment's pause because I wasn't used to having anything other than provolone available in grinder shops.  

From what I could tell without pulling everything apart, the meats were capicola, salami, and ham.  They were excellent.  The bread was as good as it looks.  There wasn't as much mayo as my picture suggests.

And here's the real kicker: it was a whopping $4.49.  This was the most inexpensive grinder I've come across, and I've definitely paid more for lesser grinders in the past.  I ended up getting a bag of State Line chips (yeah, Krauszer's had them!) to meet the $5 minimum for credit cards, though I needed to replenish my supply anyway.

This might be the all-time winner of a place!  the photos look great.....looks like a huge menu!..and....the commentary on cheese makes me think they know what they are doing!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6347
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/11/01 15:46:07 (permalink)
We have Kraussers here in Jersey...no different from our Wawa's. I wouldn't compare their sandwiches to a real sub shop...certainly not the bread!!!
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/11/01 16:35:17 (permalink)
FriedClamFanatic

This might be the all-time winner of a place!  the photos look great.....looks like a huge menu!..and....the commentary on cheese makes me think they know what they are doing!

I was really very pleased.  I imagine the big menu is partly due to them being a grocery - they can, theoretically, offer as many meats and cheeses on their sandwiches as they have in stock (although huge chains like Price Chopper and Big Y have small selections on their sandwich menus despite having full delis).  Wonder if they're all D&W, or if there are some exceptions.  

leethebard
We have Kraussers here in Jersey...no different from our Wawa's. I wouldn't compare their sandwiches to a real sub shop...certainly not the bread!!!

Krauszer's is definitely a smaller operation than Wawa just based on the number of their stores, and I would absolutely compare their sandwiches and bread to those from dedicated grinder shops.  Especially the bread - look back through this thread, and you'll see some pretty unremarkable bread even from popular "giant grinder" places.  Of course some of this is bound to vary by location; like I said, the Krauszer's in Cromwell advertised a different brand of deli meat than the one in East Hartford (Kohler vs. Dietz & Watson, both survivors of the Boar's Head onslaught).

post edited by Ketteract - 2014/11/01 16:36:51
JB-ME
Cheeseburger
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/11/02 04:21:39 (permalink)
Ketteract

Is that about a 6-inch grinder? It looks really good. A good sandwich at a decent price and State Line chips, too. What a find!
Chances are this shop and others in the chain buy from local bakery sources, so there might be quite a difference in their grinders. So stores in CT and NJ might be quite different. You already wrote that two CT stores used different brands of meats. Are the stores franchised?
Ketteract--Now that you've found State Line chips in two places, you will probably start finding them all over!
post edited by JB-ME - 2014/11/02 04:26:51
stevep
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 78
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/11/03 14:47:51 (permalink)
I found a good one today!

Italian Gourmet Deli and Bakery
15 Hartford Ave
Newington, CT  06111
http://italiangourmetdeliandbakery.com/

I had their Italian Combo. Guy rattled off a few questions; "you want blah blah blah blah on it?". My response "yes, everything, just add a small amount of mayo and onions if they're not included".

The meats were genoa, pepperoni and capicola. Provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato and marinated peppers.

Damn.... one of the best I've had. Not overly huge but to be honest I'm starting to prefer quality over quantity. Very, very good combination of flavors. This place was worthy of a waypoint in my GPS.

post edited by stevep - 2014/11/03 15:11:13
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/11/03 16:32:22 (permalink)
JB-ME

Is that about a 6-inch grinder? It looks really good. A good sandwich at a decent price and State Line chips, too. What a find!
Chances are this shop and others in the chain buy from local bakery sources, so there might be quite a difference in their grinders. So stores in CT and NJ might be quite different. You already wrote that two CT stores used different brands of meats. Are the stores franchised?
Ketteract--Now that you've found State Line chips in two places, you will probably start finding them all over!

Yeah, that was a 6", their smallest.  They had two sizes larger than that, and we've already seen from Carbone's that different bread might be used for grinders of different sizes, so I'm curious to see if they change it up.  

If there's an official website for Krauszer's, I sure as heck can't find it.  But it seems like they must follow a franchising model.  I really want to get back to the Cromwell one and try another of their sandwiches, and see if they were indeed using Kohler meats (it's hard to find info on that company as well) or just had the sign up.  I do remember they didn't have the vast, elaborate menu that the East Hartford location had.  Their roast beef was A-number-1 though.

stevep
I found a good one today!

Italian Gourmet Deli and Bakery
15 Hartford Ave
Newington, CT  06111
http://italiangourmetdeliandbakery.com/

This is the first place I've seen with a chicken cordon bleu grinder on the menu!  I guess if you think about it, you could have any place make it if they were sufficiently flexible.  But I haven't had cordon bleu in any form in quite some time.

lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7271
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/11/03 17:51:30 (permalink)
Ketteract and stevep
Those are some mighty fine looking grinders!! 
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8650
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/11/04 09:33:04 (permalink)
What lleechef said!
stevep
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 78
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/11/04 22:26:10 (permalink)
Ketteract, I hope you don't mind me derailing this thread to my hometown of Worcester. Good delis are hard to find around here, and don't even get me started on the Greek pizza in the area....

That said, Belsito's does a damn good Italian grinder. Napoli also does a good one.

Belsito's:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/belsitos-deli-worcester-2

Napoli:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/napoli-italian-deli-and-catering-shrewsbury

Belsito's Italian pictured below. They also have a great meatball grinder. They use good bread, probably the best in the city.

post edited by stevep - 2014/11/04 22:27:31
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/11/06 09:12:37 (permalink)
stevep
Ketteract, I hope you don't mind me derailing this thread to my hometown of Worcester. Good delis are hard to find around here, and don't even get me started on the Greek pizza in the area....

That said, Belsito's does a damn good Italian grinder. Napoli also does a good one.

Belsito's:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/belsitos-deli-worcester-2

Napoli:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/napoli-italian-deli-and-catering-shrewsbury

Belsito's Italian pictured below. They also have a great meatball grinder. They use good bread, probably the best in the city.

Come one, come all!    That looks like a quality grinder, and the dinner options on Napoli's menu are very attractive.  I don't think I've ever had chicken saltimbocca.  Not sure when I'll make my way up to that part of MA, but I'll keep both these places in mind.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2506
Re:Connecticut grinders 2014/11/06 10:13:50 (permalink)
I haven't seen to many Grinders on this thread that didn't look great. This Italian grinder looks to have sharp Provolone, is it??????
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/11/08 16:52:17 (permalink)
Tonight's grinder is from Kent Pizza #3 in Hartford!

A thorough menu...

... and a large and legit meatball and sausage grinder, with sauce, peppers, and cheese.

The meatballs were on par with Rosa's, meaning they were probably better than Maple's, and definitely better than Franklin's.  The sausage was equally impressive.  The peppers and sauce weren't as good at either of those places, but the quality of the meats made up for it. (Maybe it's just the whims of my own tastes talking, but I've got a mental list now of where the best bread, sauce, peppers, cheese, and meat are at, and they're all at different places.)

Also of note: it was $15 including tax (and the combo surcharge) for a whole grinder here, which was still a few dollars less than what I would have paid at Franklin.
JB-ME
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/11/08 19:01:37 (permalink)
Looks so yummy, a little messy, and good. Thanks for sharing your CT grinder adventures.
I haven't had supper yet, and this is definitely making me hungry and think about what to get. I have all the ingredients for the latest one in the freezer and fridge.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/11/09 09:25:15 (permalink)
I expect I'll keep going until I've visited every worthy grinder shop in the state - it'll take years, maybe decades!  (Unless I relocate.)  I didn't even know that I liked sandwiches this much.

For anyone that's enjoyed Carbone's in Torrington, the next place on my list is often mentioned in the same breath on Yelp reviews: Salerno's, over on Main Street.  Their Facebook photo page shows some very attractive grinders with what looks like quality bread.  

Salerno's
THE DIAVOLO: ham, hot capicola, Genoa, provolone, hot peppers and "The Works."

Hopefully I'll have a pic of my own to share next weekend!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Connecticut grinders 2014/11/09 20:19:14 (permalink)
Except for the lettuce and tomato (and I think I see mayonnaise) that looks really good. But what's the stuff under the meat?
Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1