Hot!Connecticut grinders

Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Author
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 431
Re: Connecticut grinders 2015/03/09 08:41:09 (permalink)
ann peeples
Never heard of a " breaded steak " sandwich from Chicago.

It's not one of Chicago's more well-known foods, but it's definitely a thing:

http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2013/04/a-sandwich-a-day-breaded-steak-sandwich-at-ricobenes.html
http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2013/05/a-sandwich-a-day-breaded-steak-sandwich-at-johnny-os.html
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=breaded+steak+sandwiches&find_loc=Chicago%2C+IL

I imagine it tastes pretty much like what I had in KC.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9085
Re: Connecticut grinders 2015/03/09 09:06:59 (permalink)
I wasn't doubting it exists, I just havent heard any of my Chicago area friends mention it.  A hidden gem!
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 238
Re: Connecticut grinders 2015/03/09 13:22:50 (permalink)
The "beef cutlet" grinder sounds good.  I can tell you that they don't exist here in Massachusetts, at least not in the Boston area or the central Mass area.

Is the beef cutlet grinder common to find at Connecticut sub/grinder shops?
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2015/03/09 13:30:40 (permalink)
All three of the big Hartford grinder shops (Franklin, Maple, and Corner) offer beef cutlet grinders; even so, I imagine it's not guaranteed to be found throughout CT the way that chicken cutlet is.
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1942
Re: Connecticut grinders 2015/03/09 20:43:51 (permalink)
Ketteract
ann peeples
Never heard of a " breaded steak " sandwich from Chicago.

It's not one of Chicago's more well-known foods, but it's definitely a thing:

http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2013/04/a-sandwich-a-day-breaded-steak-sandwich-at-ricobenes.html
http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2013/05/a-sandwich-a-day-breaded-steak-sandwich-at-johnny-os.html
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=breaded+steak+sandwiches&find_loc=Chicago%2C+IL

I imagine it tastes pretty much like what I had in KC.

Many years........nay....decades ago, there use to be a sub shop in N. Falmouth on Cape cod, that in addition to subs and great Roast Beef had a fried breaded steak on a roll.  Not a lot of sauce, but since they also did pizza you could get it that way. Wonderful grilled onions.  About a 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick on a long roll. Meaty and juicy. Breading was light. 
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2015/03/15 17:13:07 (permalink)
** PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT **

As they do every year, Carbone's will be offering corned beef grinders on St. Patrick's Day - this Tuesday.  

I'm told that they've usually had lines out the door on that day. Gonna see if my coworker is willing to bring some into the office!

From their Facebook page:

post edited by Ketteract - 2015/03/15 17:16:20
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1942
Re: Connecticut grinders 2015/03/17 19:33:04 (permalink)
Ketteract
** PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT **

As they do every year, Carbone's will be offering corned beef grinders on St. Patrick's Day - this Tuesday.  

I'm told that they've usually had lines out the door on that day. Gonna see if my coworker is willing to bring some into the office!

From their Facebook page:

rofl.....only in America do you get an Italian ( I assume) place offering an Irish Meal on what is mostly an American Holiday in what is a very WASP-y state! Do they replace the lettuce with Cabbage on the Grinder?

I'm not a big fan of Corned Beef unless I'm in some NYC Deli with a counter guy humorously yelling at me about being "too goy"( Hey!......I like Peanut butter on my Bagels!).  Slather it up with a BBQ sauce it's ok, but I'd rather go with Pastrami on Rye with melted Swiss, which is what I had to celebrate the "no snakes" day.

Erin go Bragh!  Actually, I heard Erin left her Bragh on the counter at the local bar after downing her 4th Green Beer/Guiness
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2015/03/18 09:01:53 (permalink)
Unfortunately, the coworker who would have brought these in got sick, and I wasn't in a position to take off half a workday waiting in line.

If you look at the pictures of Carbone's throughout this thread, I think it would be reasonable to have confidence in their corned beef. Italian, Irish, whatever - they know what they're doing with meat!
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2015/03/29 09:08:17 (permalink)
After getting back from Madison on Friday, my first stop was Second Poquonock Giant Grinder up in Windsor Locks.  I'd enjoyed my week of food adventures, but I'd dearly missed my Italian grinders.  (One menu I saw for a sandwich shop in Madison described their chicken parm as having "three chicken tenders, sauce, and mozzarella." Yeah, no, try again!)  

I'd previously had a decent roast beef grinder from them - at least, it seemed decent until I went to Carbone's and learned what roast beef could really be.  I was hoping to be more impressed by one of their hot grinders.

It was okay.

A whole grinder was about $15, and as you can see, the price is reflected in the quantity - it's not as stuffed as something you'd get from Franklin or Carbone's.  

The meatballs were better than Franklin's, but the rest of the sandwich was honestly pretty average.  It wasn't toasted, but they didn't ask me if I wanted that, so I don't know if it was even an option.  The bread was your standard white grinder-base.

For good measure, I tried their pizza again too, opting for a plain cheese slice.  I said yes when they asked if I wanted it ovened up a bit; they should have left it in there longer.

I did notice that they had fried chicken, and that is something I've yet to try from this state.

Overall, I'd say Second Poquonock is adequate if you were in my situation and you just had to have a quick grinder after getting off a plane at Bradley, but if you're not quite so deliriously ravenous, there are certainly better options.
post edited by Ketteract - 2015/03/29 09:10:02
stevep
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
Re: Connecticut grinders 2015/03/31 23:25:51 (permalink)
Ketteract,
Thank you for the referral to Zerio's. This is in my top 4 of all time best deli's.

Have you tried Italian Gourmet in Newington yet?
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2015/04/01 05:44:46 (permalink)
I'm absolutely going to, based on the photo in this thread! They're also not too far from me.  They should probably change their name, though; "Italian Gourmet Deli" is rather generic-sounding.  

What did you get at Zerio's?

Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2015/04/11 19:29:11 (permalink)
Returned to the Wethersfield Pizza House tonight to give it a rematch against Franklin's cutlet.

It's good. It's very good.  More cutlets per grinder than Franklin, too.  But my judgment is the same as before.  Franklin edges out WPH for depth of flavor.  They're sort of like Pepe's bacon and onion: I don't know what the hell they do, but it's something that's not duplicated anywhere else and puts it above the competition.  Maybe it's something in the breading. I don't know. 

That said, I'd recommend WPH in a heartbeat if you were in that immediate area and unwilling to venture out.  Friendlier staff, for one!
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2015/05/13 15:22:03 (permalink)
So, it turns out, unsurprisingly, that you can add Carbone's Market to the list of first-rate chicken cutlet grinders in CT.

I got an 8" with the works.

The cutlets were juicy and tender - absolutely top-notch. The breading was herby and distinctive.  As you can see, there are two thick cutlets - different from the Hartford-area style of several piled-up thin cutlets.  But every bit as good.

The Carbone's "works" treatment (oil and vinegar, mayo, salt, pepper, herbs, roasted peppers, onions, lettuce, tomato) works as well for their cutlets as it does for their coldcuts. You can see each and every component here.

At first glance it doesn't look as big as some of Carbone's other sandwiches, but it's every bit as filling; those breast filets are dense.

I also managed to sneak this pic. The chili interested me, but that's $5 for another time. I did take note of the weekend ribeye special that TnTinCT had previously mentioned.

Worth the trip, as they've been every other time. What a wonderful place.
TallyMan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Connecticut grinders 2015/05/13 16:10:27 (permalink)
This has got to be one of the best threads on Roadfood. I've never set foot in Connecticut (yeah, I spellchecked it!) but those grinders are impressive, so many quality choices in a small state. In Florida terms, it's like the grinder cruise that never ends....
ThanksfortheCrepes
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: Connecticut grinders 2015/05/14 07:02:19 (permalink)
Thanks for this thread Ketteract.

I've really enjoyed reading it and drooling over your photos from page one.

I lived in Vermont as a kid, and these sandwiches were referred to as grinders, but I've not heard that term in other places I've lived. Whatever you call them, they can be fabulous, and you're certainly showing us exemplary specimens. That Carbone's roast beef makes me very sad Arby's exists.

You're very lucky to live in such a food in general and sandwich mecca.
Edited: changed your to you're cuz I cain't spell. 
post edited by ThanksfortheCrepes - 2015/05/14 07:05:07
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Connecticut grinders 2015/05/21 14:12:13 (permalink)
Thank you for the kind words!  I started this thread because I felt that Connecticut had earned it.  Usually it's the pizza that gets all the coverage, since it's a sexier food subject than sub sandwiches.

stevep, I finally made it to Italian Gourmet Deli & Bakery in Newington.

And yes, it's another chicken parm.  I've just really, really been in the mood for that lately.  And honestly, as much as I love good coldcuts, if there's a cutlet/meatball/sausage option available that's just as good, I'll probably pick that (unless the coldcuts are, like, Carbone's-level).  So I apologize for the somewhat monotonous last few posts; I'm sure I'll get a hankering for prosciuttini or something soon enough!

Two standout things about this sandwich: the cutlets, whose breading was very good - like Franklin/Wethersfield good - and the bread, which was nicely chewy and had rather more character than your usual white grinder rolls.

The sauce was of the sweeter variety, but not obnoxiously so.  The peppers were the same as what they used in their cold grinders, and generously applied.

The big, big missed opportunity with this grinder: it wasn't toasted, nor was I offered the option.  Some grinders offer enough flavor on their own that toasting isn't vital.  I'm not sure this one was in that class.  Toasting would surely have raised it from merely good to excellent.

The bread is better than Franklin or Wethersfield, which helps, but not quite enough.  I saved half in the fridge and will toast it in my own oven tomorrow.

I'd say Italian Gourmet is worth another visit, but next time I'm definitely going for their coldcuts.  I'd prefer not to have to toast my own grinders.    There was also a hot meal section with pretty standard-looking fare like roast meats and mashed potatoes - not something I've seen at every grinder shop.  I may try that as well.
post edited by Ketteract - 2015/05/21 16:37:01
Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Jump to:
© 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1
-->