Cookbooks

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7388
2013/01/25 16:28:25 (permalink)

Cookbooks

I have a 1970's edition of Julia's The French Chef Cookbook.  I have made just about every recipe in her book....including croissants (a disaster) and brioche (another disaster) before I realized that I could buy them in my village boulangerie!  I finally mastered both.  The book has traveled around the country and across the Atlantic many times.  I also have Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book  from 1950.  My father gave it to my mother when they got married, I guess he wanted to eat well.....he sure did!  The inscription on the first page says, " To Thelma with all my love, Mike" 
post edited by lleechef - 2013/01/25 20:46:12

30 Replies Related Threads

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/25 18:35:19 (permalink)
    My mom didn't cook from books but she was a fabulous cook. For many years she ran the American Legion and anything food wise and did it on the fly.  I have a 1970's Betty Crocker I refer to now and then but mostly for timing on roasts.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4138
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/25 19:13:19 (permalink)
    My favorite:
    Creole Gumbo and all that Jazz, by Howard Mitcham. Stains from crawfish boils, cover ripped, other pages splattered----------but I still love cooking from it. I think I got it in the early 90's. Sometimes I think I should just bring it along as a guide book when I go South and eat my way from cover to cover.
    post edited by EdSails - 2013/01/25 21:21:32
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8699
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/25 19:24:20 (permalink)
    I have a zillion cookbooks-I read them like mystery novels. But i never follow a recipe-just do what I do......add this, add that.......

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/25 21:34:58 (permalink)
    The majority of my cookbooks I get not for recipes but for stories. I have everything from Southern cuisine, Caribbean, Italian Jewish and New Mexican to a Tahitian cookbook. Of course, one of my favorites is American Gourmet, by Jane and Michael Stern. I have two copies of it just to be on the safe side! The reason I like that and most of the others I get is the stories and background info. A recipe is nice, but when you can read about the history of the recipe and get stories about each item, that is what makes the difference to me. I do recommend picking up that Creole Gumbo book I mentioned earlier----the stories about each recipe and the side stories about jazz, Storyville, the famous "Chimney Sweeper" crawfish boil parties etc. make that book a keeper. Howard Mitcham hung out with many of the famous people in New Orleans and the stories in the book are fascinating.
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 820
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/26 09:08:03 (permalink)
    ann peeples

I have a zillion cookbooks-I read them like mystery novels. But i never follow a recipe-just do what I do......add this, add that.......

The only way to cookk!!!

tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/26 09:52:38 (permalink)
    Some of my most used cookbooks are from my former church, the local volunteer firefighters, and the Junior Leagues of several southern cities. Yes, they have splattered and bent pages and one is even missing the entire cover page. I'm thinking about getting that one rebound, as I was part of the cookbook committee and that book contains several recipes from family members.
    love2bake
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1492
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/26 11:19:48 (permalink)
    My favorite is James Beard's American Cookery
    Besides that, for an all-around basic book with classic recipes, I can always trust my old Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/26 11:45:16 (permalink)
    I actually used Julia's book.  Don't anymore, I already know how to make puff pastry and veal Prince Orloff.  The pages are yellow and the book is falling apart.  I guess it's because she was a special friend that I like it so much.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10407
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/27 02:38:42 (permalink)
    I have my Mother's 1936 Woman's Home Companion Cookbook. All 900+ pages of it. Imagine how women cooked during that time period. Men didn't get near the kitchen in those days. It covers everything from how to boil water to how to do the dishes.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2783
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/27 10:14:15 (permalink)
    Pie Diva was cooking for me from The Old Fashioned Cookbook even before we were married.  The Amazon reviews sound exactly like her experience, she's used the book so much that it is falling apart.

The second printing is a slightly smaller format and much less desirable to buyers.  We've recently bought 3 of these versions to use and give to our children.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/27 13:55:36 (permalink)
    I don't think that my mother used Betty Crocker's cookbook too much......she had already learned from her mother and grandmother.  I did use it about 4 years ago to make my mother's "Easter Cake" for my parents.  It's a Lady Baltimore cake with walnuts and marachino cherries and icing between the layers, covered with white icing and coconut.  Took me all day.  My mother used to whip that up on Easter like it was nothing!  Obviously she was much better at baking than I was!!
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/27 14:09:06 (permalink)
    I also read cookbooks like a novel, since I could read probably. Over the years I have collected probably about 100 cook books although I usually never follow a recipe exactly from any. My favorites have always been those sold by local Junior Leagues and other local groups. I do have a prized very old copy (maybe 1930) of The Boston Cooking School Cook Book by Fannie Merritt Farmer. I love old stuff! I also have a recipe box filled with recipes I have collected over the past 45 years or so from magazines and such.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8699
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/27 14:10:30 (permalink)
    I am not a baker-Mom was. I am not a precise person. Thats why I embraced cooking. However, Mom made the best red velvet cake...she mastered it for my birthday, year after year. i knew she was losing it when she made me a lemon chiffon, and said it was my favorite. I accepted her cake, but put my head down at her memory.
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/27 14:21:44 (permalink)
    Ann, I know that feeling! My mom is now 93 and living with one of my sisters in Florida. Things she has loved to eat for years are now things she hates. I am able to engage her in conversation on the phone but I know that 10 minutes later she doesn't even know that I've called.
    Just keep the nice memory of those delicious red velvet cakes! It is hard for me sometimes but I do try!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10407
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/27 19:20:26 (permalink)
    I have cookbooks but my bride has Scrapbooks.That's what they are, -----Scraps!
    It's all the recipes she's clipped out, ripped out, photocopied or hand written on hunks of paper, etc.
    They're arranged in no order whatsoever. BUT she knows where everyone of them is when she needs it.
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1042
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/28 10:08:01 (permalink)
    I had several cookbooks, but over the past 10 years and almost as many moves, I can't find any of them.
    When my grandmother died in 2008 at the age of 98, we found notebook after notebook of recipes she'd written down since around WW2 we'd figured. Some were from cookbooks, some magazines, some from family or neighbors in the Pennsylvania backwoods where they lived. My uncle put them all together in one document, 80 pages of recipes. She loved to bake, and there are tons of recipes for pies, cakes, cookies, pudding, and other desserts.
    Now I have all the recipes for the food she'd always cook when she caught wind of my brothers and I coming down for a visit. They don't taste exactly the same when I make it, but close enough to be able to picture sitting in her kitchen while she happily chirped away at the stove while we caught up. I'm willing to share it if anyone would like a PDF of it.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/28 10:47:12 (permalink)
    I have shelves of cookbooks(including 3 of the Betty Crocker's, all different copyrights, earliest 1967)and still every night I wonder what I'm going to cook.  I keep saying I'm going to pre-plan but that never happens.
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/28 12:56:47 (permalink)
    I love collecting cookbooks but I rarely use them. For Super Bowl, however, we're using Jeff Smith's firehouse chili recipe, since it's quick and cheap and you can alter it easily.

I bought an old Better Homes cookbook that we got a lot of mileage out of for tacky casserole night at a friend's house.

Love, love, love Square Meals. I am very interested in WW2 rationing and how that worked, so I love that chapter.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/28 13:09:03 (permalink)
    My cookbook collection is a part of me.  I bought my first one back in the 1960's.  It is a copy of "Maryland's Way" put out by the Hammond Harwood House in Annapolis.  It's cover is now brown & tattered & the pages stained.  I still swear it has the best pound cake recipe ever.  As to the oldest book I have, I think that's "365 Dinner Dishes" recipes selected from "Table Talk, Goodhousekeeping, The Boston Cooking School cookbook & others".  It was published in June 1903.  I may have a book that is older but the page that would show a publish date has been removed.  A while back I set out to collect a regional (preferably a Junior League) book from every state.  One of my stipulations was the book had to have been printed pre-mid 70's.   I felt that with the TV cooking shows & people moving around, after that date the regional flavors started to disappear.   I stopped collecting when I moved & am not sure what states I am still missing.  I know it's only a handful.
    ALL GOOD
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/28 13:10:44 (permalink)
    I wait for our local library's quarterly book sales and then attack.  I know where they stash all the cookbooks (under the tables) and I go on the last day of the sale when you get 13 books for one dollar.  Each time I come home arms full of '60's and '70's delights.  I read them like they are trashy romance novels.  Can't get enough.  These things are real page turners!  Then, they become part of a vast collection I still need to catalogue.   My only "go-to" cookbook is a Better Homes and Garden's "New Cook Book" from 1984.  Got it from my mother when I got married the first time.  I refer to it to this day for the basics, but deviate on most "recipes".

love2bake
    • Total Posts : 1492
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/28 16:18:17 (permalink)
    SeamusD

I had several cookbooks, but over the past 10 years and almost as many moves, I can't find any of them.
    When my grandmother died in 2008 at the age of 98, we found notebook after notebook of recipes she'd written down since around WW2 we'd figured. Some were from cookbooks, some magazines, some from family or neighbors in the Pennsylvania backwoods where they lived. My uncle put them all together in one document, 80 pages of recipes. She loved to bake, and there are tons of recipes for pies, cakes, cookies, pudding, and other desserts.
    Now I have all the recipes for the food she'd always cook when she caught wind of my brothers and I coming down for a visit. They don't taste exactly the same when I make it, but close enough to be able to picture sitting in her kitchen while she happily chirped away at the stove while we caught up. I'm willing to share it if anyone would like a PDF of it.

Yes!  I would love to read those!!  I'll send you a PM.
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1042
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/28 16:49:38 (permalink)
    love2bake

SeamusD

Got it! Check your email.
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1177
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/29 18:00:12 (permalink)
    I never cooked an entire meal on my own until I left home in the mid-70's.  At the time, there was a local food writer named Leon Soniat who had a weekly column in the food section of our paper.  I used to clip his recipes and try them out, just basics you think of from this area - red beans, jambalaya, etouffee, etc.  Then he came out with his cookbook - La Bouche Creole (the Creole Mouth) which is a compilation of his columns, plus personal stories, local food customs, and what it was like growing up in NOLA with fond memories of his French-Creole grandparents, his Mamere, and Papere.  His recipes are easy to follow and tasty, though for some reason when cooking seafood dishes, his recipes call for using water or broth, when making a seafood stock would be so much better, and it's not like the ingredients aren't handy.

EdSails - you'd really like this cookbook for it's stories as much as the recipes.   
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4654
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/29 18:18:13 (permalink)
    SeamusD

love2bake

SeamusD

Got it! Check your email.

Hey Seaumus, I'd love to have a copy of that too if you'd be willing.
    Thanks, Bill
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/30 02:32:23 (permalink)
    BelleReve, I'll see if I can find it. Thanks!
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1177
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/30 13:41:20 (permalink)
    Ed, you're welcome.  There's a similar with great recipes is -  New Orleans Home Cooking by Dale Curry.  Dale Curry is a retired food editor of the Times Picayune and still contributes articles and recipes to other publications like Southern Living, and New Orleans magazines.             
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6559
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/01/31 21:47:18 (permalink)
    I have an extensive cookbook collection, TOOO many to count.  I have most of my mom's from the late 60's to early 70's and then I have my grandmothers that go back into the 40's and 50's.  Mine range from A-Z I like reading them like a novel, but also trying a new version of something I make from them too.

I also collect "Community Cookbooks" those put out by the local church ladies, or civic clubs......  There are my favorites.  I have a 5' wide by 7' tall book case filled with them from all over the US and else where. (actually 9 of those cases filled but only the one filled with "local" cookbooks

The book I will always cherish which was handed down from my grand mother to my mom to me was a simple, I forget the title i will have to find it and see what it is called.  But there are 4 pages in the book that have had clear contact paper put over them, they had been used so many time and so many drips that mom "laminated" them for easier clean up.

One recipe is Carrot Cake (my personal favorite for my birthday)
    Another is bannanana bread
    I cant remember the other two tho..

One of my favorite recipes from the community type books is for "Elephant Stew" it comes from the Indiana Conservation Officers Cook Book. It is a Hilarious read.

packerwmn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/02/14 13:39:09 (permalink)
    SeamusD - I would love a copy of the PDF if you are still willing to share.
    I love collecting old cookbooks - that's what I look for at rummage sales and flea markets.
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    Re:Cookbooks 2013/02/19 12:42:50 (permalink)
    I have almost all of Jamie Oliver's cookbooks. I never use them. He has great ideas so I just improvise on them and it turns out fine.

I've also got a Yankee Magazine church cookbook...just in case I have to feed a crowd of 50. Always prepared.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1