The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Cookies for the troops

Author Message
BT

  • Total Posts: 3589
  • Joined: 7/3/2004
  • Location: San Francisco, CA
Cookies for the troops Thu, 09/30/04 7:29 PM (permalink)
A San Diegan named Cliff Smith has created a line of vanilla-almond cookies shaped like military medals and stamped with the seals of the various services. They are made without transfats and sell for $7.99 for 2 boxes of 18. 5% of the profits go to the National Military Families Association and you can order cookies for delivery to soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. The web site for ordering is http://www.cookieclubofamerica.com , but unfortunately they are temporarily sold out. It seems that they are coming out with a new box design and much more extensive marketing and when they are ready, will resume both internet sales and sales in stores. So if you are interested, check the site around Veterans Day (Nov. 11).
 
#1
    chezkatie

    • Total Posts: 1329
    • Joined: 6/24/2001
    • Location: Baltimore and Florida,
    RE: Cookies for the troops Thu, 09/30/04 7:41 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

    A San Diegan named Cliff Smith has created a line of vanilla-almond cookies shaped like military medals and stamped with the seals of the various services. They are made without transfats and sell for $7.99 for 2 boxes of 18. 5% of the profits go to the National Military Families Association and you can order cookies for delivery to soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. The web site for ordering is http://www.cookieclubofamerica.com , but unfortunately they are temporarily sold out. It seems that they are coming out with a new box design and much more extensive marketing and when they are ready, will resume both internet sales and sales in stores. So if you are interested, check the site around Veterans Day (Nov. 11).

    Very interesting but as a Roadfood person, I would rather bake and ship my own home baked cookies to the troops.
     
    #2
      UncleVic

      • Total Posts: 6025
      • Joined: 10/14/2003
      • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Cookies for the troops Thu, 09/30/04 8:04 PM (permalink)
      Either way, lets get them HOME! Let the wives, husbands, dads and moms bake their own cookies and hand deliver them!

       
      #3
        tiki

        • Total Posts: 4135
        • Joined: 7/7/2003
        • Location: Rentiesville, OK
        RE: Cookies for the troops Thu, 09/30/04 8:22 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by UncleVic

        Either way, lets get them HOME! Let the wives, husbands, dads and moms bake their own cookies and hand deliver them!




        a fine idea!
         
        #4
          chezkatie

          • Total Posts: 1329
          • Joined: 6/24/2001
          • Location: Baltimore and Florida,
          RE: Cookies for the troops Thu, 09/30/04 8:28 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by UncleVic

          Either way, lets get them HOME! Let the wives, husbands, dads and moms bake their own cookies and hand deliver them!





          You are exactly right.
           
          #5
            BT

            • Total Posts: 3589
            • Joined: 7/3/2004
            • Location: San Francisco, CA
            RE: Cookies for the troops Thu, 09/30/04 11:49 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by chezkatie

            Very interesting but as a Roadfood person, I would rather bake and ship my own home baked cookies to the troops.


            Except that you can't--and haven't, have you? At the beginning of this war the Pentagon decided not to allow packages from the general public to be sent to the war zone because of the possibility of "bad guys" including harmful things in them--even bioweapons etc. So Pentagon-approved programs like the one I mentioned (even the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs has samples these cookies) are the only way to do it.

            By the way, I have political views too, of course, but I thought of this as being a fairly bipartisan effort and, as the one who started the thread, I'd prefer to keep it that way.

            Unless you've got a child in Iraq or Afghanistan, you won't be baking anyone there cookies, before or after they come home, but if you would like to show them that people at home remember them, this remains a way to do it.
             
            #6
              hermitt4d

              • Total Posts: 367
              • Joined: 8/4/2003
              • Location: Houston, TX
              RE: Cookies for the troops Fri, 10/1/04 3:31 AM (permalink)
              Thanks for the link BT. I've bookmarked it for future reference.
               
              #7
                lleechef

                • Total Posts: 6253
                • Joined: 3/22/2003
                • Location: Gahanna, OH
                RE: Cookies for the troops Fri, 10/1/04 6:38 AM (permalink)
                I'm not disagreeing with the above posts.........maybe you cannot send cookies but I have a good friend who is a helo gunner with Air National Guard Base, Kulis, AK who has already done two tours in Afghanistan that received "Care Packages" from me......salmon, halibut, and other kinds of seafood with no problems.
                 
                #8
                  BT

                  • Total Posts: 3589
                  • Joined: 7/3/2004
                  • Location: San Francisco, CA
                  RE: Cookies for the troops Fri, 10/1/04 1:51 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by lleechef

                  I'm not disagreeing with the above posts.........maybe you cannot send cookies but I have a good friend who is a helo gunner with Air National Guard Base, Kulis, AK who has already done two tours in Afghanistan that received "Care Packages" from me......salmon, halibut, and other kinds of seafood with no problems.


                  I think you can send stuff if it is addressed to an individual soldier and that soldier will open it if he knows the sender. What you can't do is send mail to "any soldier" or something similar.

                  Incidentally, in case anyone was wondering, my info about the cookie web site and the project comes from the new issue of "Military Officer" magazine which is the monthly mag published by the Military Officers Association of America to which the majority of active and retired military officers belong--so I'm pretty sure it's legit. I'm retired by the way.
                   
                  #9
                    Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                    Jump to:

                    Current active users

                    There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                    Icon Legend and Permission

                    • New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

                    2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com