Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave

Author
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
2008/03/15 17:43:40 (permalink)

Can you really cook a good corned beef in the microwave? The answer is a simple yes. In fact I think it comes out better than the more traditional methods. It is certainly easier, anyway.

Here is the USDA approved recipe for doing this:

MICROWAVE: Calculate cooking time at 20 to 30 minutes per pound. Place brisket in a large casserole dish and add 1-1/2 cups of water. Cover with lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on medium-low (30 percent power) for half the estimated time. Turn meat over and rotate dish. Microwave on high for remainder of time or until fork tender. Vegetables may be added during the final 30 minutes of cooking.

I know many of you would never consider doing corned beef in the microwave, so here is the USDA link regarding cooking corned beef by any method.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Corned_Beef/index.asp

Whatever way you do it, enjoy it. This time of year is certainly prime time for corned beef.

17 Replies Related Threads

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave 2008/03/15 22:30:56 (permalink)
    Greyghost, I still think you should start a microwave cooking thread here. I, like you, know that almost anything, if done right, can be cooked, and turn out good, in the microwave.

I also know that many folks here will not beleive what I just said.
    Joe
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave 2008/03/16 08:58:13 (permalink)
    Youre kidding right?
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2613
    RE: Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave 2008/03/16 11:59:17 (permalink)
    If you aren't in a rush, try cooking your corned beef in a roaster oven. I put down some beef broth, a layer of root veggies, then the beef. I'll cook this at 225F for 7 or 8 hours. Cabbage will be added on top later.

Set it and forget it. Someone at work did it this way a couple years ago using cheap grocery corned beef. I'm cooking butcher shop stuff, one from Miesfeld's Market, the other from Rob's Family Market.
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    RE: Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave 2008/03/16 12:42:05 (permalink)
    I always use my slow cooker but I know that if you are simmering in liquid the microwave should do just fine. After its done I will leave half plain and brush the other half with a mixture of brown sugar and mustard and bake about 15 minutes in the oven.
    007bond-jb
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 926
    RE: Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave 2008/03/16 13:01:08 (permalink)
    On some brands of corned beef they give instructions for cookin in an oven and in a pot of water with veggies.
    I bought 2 small corned beef flats & did 1 in the oven & 1 in a pot of water. The oven cooked 1 tasted 10 times better & had a yummy bark/crust, since then I only do the oven cook way. I still boil veggies in water to go with it adding a ham hock for flavor.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave 2008/03/16 21:25:22 (permalink)
    JB,

You know I am a fan, but I do have a challenge for you. Try the USDA microwave recipe I have supplied and document it with one of your great videos. Experiment. The liquid does not have to be water. It could be Guinness stout, wine or anything you like. I would love to see the result along with your opinion of the result.

As this pretty much cooks itself, it will be a short video and you will have to find other things to do to occupy your time while it is cooking. Cook sides maybe, play some pool or perhaps design a space station.

Personally, I like the result, but would love to see your take on the matter. If you do decide to take up the challenge, please post the result here. Should be interesting either way.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave 2008/03/17 00:58:26 (permalink)
    I find the commercial corned beef so salty even when cooked in a large pot of water. I'd be scard to try it any other way.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave 2008/03/17 01:06:33 (permalink)
    Mike, with your kitchen setup, I'd think you'd be making your own corned beef! (And I agree with SALTY being the key word, though this is the process used to corn the beef).
    But I may be old school here, I still shy away from the microwave for cooking any meat.. Though I do thaw out ground beef in it on occasion, but then I'm constantly checking to prevent any pre-style cooking.

007bond-jb
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 926
    RE: Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave 2008/03/17 11:50:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greyghost

JB,

You know I am a fan, but I do have a challenge for you. Try the USDA microwave recipe I have supplied and document it with one of your great videos. Experiment. The liquid does not have to be water. It could be Guinness stout, wine or anything you like. I would love to see the result along with your opinion of the result.

As this pretty much cooks itself, it will be a short video and you will have to find other things to do to occupy your time while it is cooking. Cook sides maybe, play some pool or perhaps design a space station.

Personally, I like the result, but would love to see your take on the matter. If you do decide to take up the challenge, please post the result here. Should be interesting either way.

Thanks GG, I have been having problems with my Nuke (microwave) when cooking on high it tends to concentrate the energy in the center of the oven, The result burns the hell out of food in the center.
    It has a turntable too, It started this a while back.

Mike S always rinse the salty goo off of the CB before cooking.
    I'll rinse & let em soak in water for 30 min before baking
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    RE: Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave 2008/03/17 12:15:11 (permalink)
    Best way I’ve ever done corned beef was a idea I got from an Irish pub out east a few years ago….cook it for about 8-10 hours covered with foil and with some added water in a 225 oven. Very, very tender.

simmering on the stovetop is good, but not often yields the tenderest results we like.

I’ve done them in the smoker grill very successfully.

Tonight, however, our corned beef will come from the crockpot. It’s raining all day today in St. Louis, and we have our cabbage and potatoes ready to steam just before supper time.
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave 2008/03/17 12:32:05 (permalink)
    Apologies to the OP, whom I'm sure has good reason to cook a corned beef in the microwave, so I'm not knocking him or anything.

But I can't imagine enough salt getting out of it if it's not simmered, immersed in water, for a loooong time. Plus how can you boil the cabbage, potatoes, carrots, rutabagas, et al? You gotta boil them veggies in that salty greasy corned beef broth or it isn't the same. It ain't called boiled dinner for nothing.

There is a place in Frisco called Roberts 'Turkey Brand' corned beef. You can go in and pick your own if you want. Right there in the office they have barrels of briny beef. They also corn two cuts-- bottom round and brisket. Never seen that before.

It's called 'Turkey Brand' because somewhere in the great Irish diaspora to Frisco corned beef was referred to as 'Irish Turkey.' Anyone ever hear that before?
    AllysonChains
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave 2008/03/17 17:50:50 (permalink)
    I'm scared to cook in the microwave." />
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    RE: Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave 2008/03/17 17:53:01 (permalink)
    I'll use the microwave to start something or finish something, but don't often just cook in the microwave.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10220
    RE: Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave 2008/03/17 17:58:56 (permalink)
    I don't cook meat in the Micro anymore because the last time my grandkids tried to dry off their rainsoaked cat, fluffy exploded!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8329
    RE: Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave 2008/03/17 18:07:16 (permalink)
    I boiled my corned beef and cabbage as I have done for 30 years.1 hour per pound, with the cabbage going in about half an hour before the meat being done.That is how I was taught, and it turns out everytime.Not saying other methods wouldnt work, but I stick to what my Grandma Kelly taught me at a young age. Happy St.Pats!!
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave 2008/03/17 18:16:51 (permalink)
    The great thing about corned beef is that the whole house smells great. And I flavor the cooking liquid quite a bit....Russ
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Cooking Corned Beef In The Microwave 2008/03/18 06:50:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by annpeeples

I boiled my corned beef and cabbage as I have done for 30 years.1 hour per pound, with the cabbage going in about half an hour before the meat being done.That is how I was taught, and it turns out everytime.Not saying other methods wouldnt work, but I stick to what my Grandma Kelly taught me at a young age. Happy St.Pats!!

That's the way I did it last night. Chopped onion, spices (peppercorns, allspice, mustard seeds, cloves, fresh bay, dill) and two slabs of corned beef went into the pot at about 5:00 P.M., took them out at about 7:30, and then I boiled cabbage, new potatoes, carrots and halved onions for 20 minutes or so. It's a once-per-year ritual, and I have no need to speed it up. I like the smells from the cooking; they stimulate the appetite!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1