Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Cooking for Engineers

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
  • Roadfood Insider
Cooking for Engineers Thu, 06/15/06 10:26 AM (permalink)
Found this site a few minutes ago. I like the way they layout the recipe cards at the end.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/

WVHillbilly

• Total Posts: 406
    RE: Cooking for Engineers Thu, 06/15/06 1:54 PM (permalink)
    shutter. . . cooking is an act of creativity and passion for me. Having worked with engineers for over 30 yrs., The phrase "cooking for engineers" just doesn't seem right. . . although, some folks do cook like chemists.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
      RE: Cooking for Engineers Thu, 06/15/06 5:04 PM (permalink)
      Good gosh between the military food thread and the cheap breakfasts one I'm about to get kicked off this site but engineers being given grief about cooking is just too much. I got my mechanical engineering degree thirty or so years ago. I am currently one of the worst engineers on the planet.

I make the joke (not so much a joke according to my wife of 25 years) that she knew she was marrying Mr. Right but she didn't know my first name was "Always". Free body diagrams, printing everything (I can print faster than I can write cursive) and the mind numbing (to the English majors) planning are part of being an engineer.

Planting the garden each year drives my wife nuts. I can give you a diagram of the garden I planted thirty years ago...now that is slap stupid...but makes sense to an engineer.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
        RE: Cooking for Engineers Thu, 06/15/06 5:16 PM (permalink)
        Ahhhh, that explains allot of things V960! But your OK in my book! :~)
        Joe

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
          RE: Cooking for Engineers Fri, 06/16/06 2:02 PM (permalink)
          One thing that many friends notice about my recipe book is that salt is listed as NaCl, water is H2O and almost all the measurements are in the metric system.

My oldest daughter is just as anal retentive. She is going to the beach tommorrow and her bag was packed two days ago. My wife however still hasn't unpacked her bag from LAST year.

pcdiva

• Total Posts: 591
            RE: Cooking for Engineers Fri, 06/16/06 5:40 PM (permalink)
            Well, how about me? I am an engineer turned accountant!!! But after a quick look at the site, I really liked it. But then Cookwise is one of my favorite books, Alton Brown is my favorite Food TV personality, America's Test Kitchen is my favorite PBS show, and the 2 magazines that they publish are my favorites. I just love areas that tell me why recipes work as opposed to just giving me the recipes themselves.

Know how I could get a job in the field of recipe research anyone???

Alice

Pat T Hat

• Total Posts: 968
              RE: Cooking for Engineers Fri, 06/16/06 6:09 PM (permalink)
              Thank you so much for the site UncleVic. I do agree that cooking is a creative passion. There is the science though that tells you the what and why's of what you can and can't do. I liked his thorough (I thought) experiment on the beer can chicken. Just as I expected...A total waste of a poor beer that never did anything to anybody. His conclusion is honest enough to say the beer may make the difference though doubtful. I agree. Tequila and lime in the can however......... Never have tried doing beer can chicken before but since reading this I certainly will.

caratzas

• Total Posts: 216
                RE: Cooking for Engineers Sat, 06/17/06 2:22 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by pcdiva

But then Cookwise is one of my favorite books, Alton Brown is my favorite Food TV personality, America's Test Kitchen is my favorite PBS show, and the 2 magazines that they publish are my favorites. I just love areas that tell me why recipes work as opposed to just giving me the recipes themselves.

If you haven't already, check out the author Harold McGee.

pcdiva

• Total Posts: 591
                  RE: Cooking for Engineers Tue, 06/20/06 12:41 AM (permalink)
                  On my library list for tomorrow's excursion, caratzas. Maybe his book will be my birthday present from my brother if I like it. Since I am at the moment sans job, I'm trying to keep my book buying to a minimum.

Alice

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 788
                    RE: Cooking for Engineers Tue, 06/20/06 11:04 AM (permalink)
                    great site, very well designed

sonyclarle

• Total Posts: 1
                      Re:Cooking for Engineers Sat, 08/28/10 4:26 AM (permalink)
                      Hi,

Cooking is a great Art.... The Varieties of recipe's information in your Thread is nice. It is useful to Every one.

Keep on Sharing.

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                        Re:Cooking for Engineers Sat, 08/28/10 9:11 AM (permalink)
                        V960---when I started College--Electrical Engineering was pretty easy.  At least it was basic stuff------------now I don't think I
                        could get past day one.  Have trouble turning on the TV. 

But cooking is different----

Start with the basics and wing it---play it by ear (or rather by
                        taste buds.  If we cooked by the book we would only need that one book.  And forget your imagination, we don't need no stinking imagination.

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2366
                          Re:Cooking for Engineers Sat, 08/28/10 9:12 AM (permalink)
                          Try their Buffalo Chicken Chili.  I cooked it for work and everyone loved it.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7590
                            Re:Cooking for Engineers Sat, 08/28/10 10:16 AM (permalink)
                            Engineers as retail customers scares me.

That cheesecake recipe looks like I have to try it.

Thanks!

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6091
                              Re:Cooking for Engineers Sat, 08/28/10 5:53 PM (permalink)
                              This truly happened yesterday, a guy calls about a catering for a date in October, I had previously talked to his wife who was very pleasant, in any case he starts in on questions about the food and prices, lots of questions, too many questions, to the extent I knew nothing would make this jerk happy, and I wasn't catering his party of 75, abour 3/4 of a mile from my place. When he was finished with the interrogation, I said to him, you work at Bechtel, don't you[they have a large office in Frederick], he said yeah, how did you know, I said, wild guess. For those of you who may not know, Bechtel is one of the largest Engineering, Construction firms in the world. What he doesn't know yet is the next time he calls to place his order, I will already be booked for the day in question.
                              When I was with Merrill Lynch then Smith Barney, I wouldn't do business with Engineers, complete PITA. My apologies to any Engineers out there reading this.

plb

Re:Cooking for Engineers Sat, 08/28/10 6:38 PM (permalink)
                                chewingthefat

This truly happened yesterday, a guy calls about a catering for a date in October, I had previously talked to his wife who was very pleasant, in any case he starts in on questions about the food and prices, lots of questions, too many questions, to the extent I knew nothing would make this jerk happy, and I wasn't catering his party of 75, abour 3/4 of a mile from my place. When he was finished with the interrogation, I said to him, you work at Bechtel, don't you[they have a large office in Frederick], he said yeah, how did you know, I said, wild guess. For those of you who may not know, Bechtel is one of the largest Engineering, Construction firms in the world. What he doesn't know yet is the next time he calls to place his order, I will already be booked for the day in question.
                                When I was with Merrill Lynch then Smith Barney, I wouldn't do business with Engineers, complete PITA. My apologies to any Engineers out there reading this.

Bechtel is better known for their cost engineering that their design or construction expertise (meaning cheap).

But any real engineer knows investors should buy low-expense, no-load index mutual funds and not have anything to do with stock brokers. 

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                                  RE: Cooking for Engineers Sun, 08/29/10 4:11 AM (permalink)
                                  pcdiva

Well, how about me? I am an engineer turned accountant!!! But after a quick look at the site, I really liked it. But then Cookwise is one of my favorite books, Alton Brown is my favorite Food TV personality, America's Test Kitchen is my favorite PBS show, and the 2 magazines that they publish are my favorites. I just love areas that tell me why recipes work as opposed to just giving me the recipes themselves.

Know how I could get a job in the field of recipe research anyone???

Alice

Yes but can you figure out how the Egg gets into the Shell and how Peas get into the Pod?

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                                    RE: Cooking for Engineers Sun, 08/29/10 6:32 AM (permalink)
                                      I liked the website. There are some good recipes there and the feedback is pretty cool too. I looked up the Beef Stroganoff recipe and it is almost identical to the one I make at the restaurant. Although I use a little Worcestershire sauce and a little red wine or brandy to mine to round out the one dimensional flavor of the beef and mushrooms.  The histories of the recipes is also a fun addition but probably lifted from Wiki.

JMHO

David O

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6091
                                      Re:Cooking for Engineers Sun, 08/29/10 12:04 PM (permalink)
                                      plb

chewingthefat

Bechtel is better known for their cost engineering that their design or construction expertise (meaning cheap).

But any real engineer knows investors should buy low-expense, no-load index mutual funds and not have anything to do with stock brokers. 

Exhibit #1

mar52

• Total Posts: 7590
                                        Re:Cooking for Engineers Sun, 08/29/10 2:25 PM (permalink)
                                        RTFLMAO!!!

Have you ever noticed that if "that customer" isn't an engineer, good odds are that they are accountants or CPAs?

How many BTUs does that tomato produce when you bite in to it?

Most of the answer for the questions that engineers ask are answered in my mind as.... Who cares???

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                                          Re:Cooking for Engineers Tue, 10/19/10 10:23 PM (permalink)
                                          It is a very nice site, I like it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com