Cooking without a vent hood

Author
abigailsdaddy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
2009/10/26 19:47:26 (permalink)

Cooking without a vent hood

I have come across a retail/restaurant space that is completely built out, has equipment, tables, chairs, etc.  This place is ready to open for business.  The space was previously occupied by someone that served coffee drinks and sandwiches and went out of business due to the owners passing.  From what I've discovered through by research, the place was very successful and very popular, therefore, I am thinking of using the space for the same kind of business.  From looking at the menu they used to serve cold and hot sandwiches.  However, while the kitchen is outfitted with sinks, refrigerators, freezers, slicers, etc., there is no means of cooking aside from a small griddle that is typically used in a home, but there is no vent hood installed.  I plan on purchasing a few sandwich presses, however, I would like to be able to offer a wide range of sandwiches, cold and hot.  Can I get by by simply using a small griddle, as the previous owner appeared to do? Is there other means of "hot cooking" without having to incur the expense of having a vent hood installed?

6 Replies Related Threads

edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2111
    Re:Cooking without a vent hood 2009/10/26 20:34:17 (permalink)
    Hoods are required by Code (commercial) when you use gas equipment.  Most Codes (not all) will allow electric equipment without hoods, as these do not give off carbon monoxide.     ..... Now many commercial kitchens with electric equipment will still use a hood as a means to reduce heat buildup in their kitchen.

I don't think a hood will be needed for a couple of panini grills and a commercial electric flat grill (24" x 24").
    abigailsdaddy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re:Cooking without a vent hood 2009/10/27 10:02:30 (permalink)
    Thank you edwmax!
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3151
    Re:Cooking without a vent hood 2009/11/14 11:20:18 (permalink)
    If grease-laden vapors are created virtually every insurance company you go to would require hood and ducts to code and an automatic extinguishing system.
    konnie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 334
    Re:Cooking without a vent hood 2009/11/14 20:31:52 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

If grease-laden vapors are created virtually every insurance company you go to would require hood and ducts to code and an automatic extinguishing system.

The purpose of the hood is not to remove heat or carbon monoxide but to trap and remove the grease so as to prevent or automatically extinguish a grease fire.  If you don't want the expense or can't go thru the roof with a vent they make a free standing ventless hood system which has the required automatic extinguisher system and filters to trap the grease.

Many years ago we had a store in a large multi level mall in their food court.  The food court was on the ground floor and there was no way to go thru the roof.  We purchased the ventless type and ran 2 deep fryers and a small grill under it with no problem.  It was about 4' wide and 8' tall.  If you are cooking anything that creates grease the HD will require you to have some type of hood system with an automatic fire extinguisher.It makes no difference if the cooking equipment is gas or electric.

Mike S.
    agoskillym
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Cooking without a vent hood 2009/11/16 23:05:19 (permalink)
    It's funny I just purchased a BKI ventless hood system this sat. at an auction. But my question is for konnie. What electric griddle do you recommend. I have been looking and not sure what is a good buy.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Cooking without a vent hood 2009/11/17 23:38:40 (permalink)
    The bottom line on this issue came from the FAQ in the hot dog section written by our esteemed leader Pops Dog House : These requirements vary by city, county and state.  It is for this reason that members of the Roadfood community cannot answer specific questions about what is required to operate a cart, trailer, or brick and morter joint in your specific community. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1