Copycat Recipe for Betty Crocker Noodles Romanoff

Author
ShenB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
2008/04/22 23:42:05 (permalink)

Copycat Recipe for Betty Crocker Noodles Romanoff

Betty Crocker Box Side Dish Noodles Romanoff Recipe Found!

Does anyone else remember this great boxed side dish that dissapeared in the 80's? I Found this recipe the other day and think I'll give it a try.

All the other supposed copycat recipes I've seen are missing the orange glow that the Betty Crocker original had and this recipe has it because it includes one envelope of the Kraft Blue Box Mac & Cheese in addition to the sour cream, garlic & onion flavors.

Why didn't I think of stealing the packet out of a box and add it in myself.

Noodles Romanoff

The key to success here is the Kraft Macaroni and Cheese day-glo yellow powder. Without it, you will never approach the original.

One package egg noodles (about 1 lb.)
1 cup sour cream (use full fat)
2 T butter, melted
1 medium onion, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped finely
3/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano (okay, so I'm a cheese snob, except for):
1 package day-glo cheddar cheese powder from a box of Kraft Macaroni 'n' Cheese
1/2 cup chopped parsley
Cracked pepper to taste

Directions: Cook the noodles to al dente. While cooking noodles, sauté the onion and garlic in butter in large saucepan. Add parsley at the last minute; remove from heat. When noodles are a hair away from being done, drain but retain residual pasta water (don't wring them dry).

Put the hot noodles into the saucepan, then add the sour cream, and the Kraft day-glo orange powder and half the Reggiano. Mix very well with the cooked onions, garlic and parsley. The result should be a pleasingly creamy deep yellow-orange like the original. Add the pepper. Serve in individual bowls with the rest of the parmesan.

3 Replies Related Threads

fabulousoyster
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Copycat Recipe for Betty Crocker Noodles Romanoff 2008/04/23 08:39:36 (permalink)
    The result should be a pleasingly creamy deep yellow mess

Thanks for this wonderful recipe. I'm gonna make it right away and feed those I love.
    divefl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Copycat Recipe for Betty Crocker Noodles Romanoff 2008/04/23 13:57:42 (permalink)
    Why are you keeping the pasta water?
    ShenB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Copycat Recipe for Betty Crocker Noodles Romanoff 2008/04/23 14:23:21 (permalink)
    divefl,
    I didn't write the recipe myself but copied it and pasted it from a website page that gave no credit to it's author.
    I think they wanted the noodles wet as opposed to when you normally drain noodles they quickly dry on the surface and start sticking together in clumps. Also I was thinking a full dry pound of noodles is too much and most likely will use 8 to 12 ounces of flat medium width noodles.
    I'm going to try making this myself over the weekend and see how well it compares to the original boxed mix. Have you ever had the original Betty Crocker version?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1