Copycat Recipe like Beano's Submarine Dressing?

Author
dabaxter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2011/07/06 16:47:03 (permalink)

Copycat Recipe like Beano's Submarine Dressing?

I like Beano's Submarine Dressing. I've been looking for a copycat sub dressing recipe that seems to be just like theirs, but can't find one. Do any of you know of one. Their recipe says soybean oil, red wine vinegar, salt, sugar, spices.

6 Replies Related Threads

DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Copycat Recipe like Beano's Submarine Dressing? 2011/07/07 00:17:15 (permalink)
    Do a search on the board, this was discussed about a year ago in detail. It's not as simple as it appears. Notice there isn't a separation layer between the herbs/vinegar and oil. The vinegar is impregnated within the herbs. The oil is also infused from what we could determine. You also might want to check out the higher grade variants for other companies uch as Boar's Head, Dietz and Watson, A&P, and their higher spec version on their web page that uses olive oil instead of soy. There's a silly clone that's floating around as a Mr. Sub or something similar that tastes nothing like Beano's.
    dabaxter
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Copycat Recipe like Beano's Submarine Dressing? 2011/07/08 21:20:41 (permalink)
    I did a search on the board before posting. I could find no copycat recipes like Beano's.
    post edited by dabaxter - 2011/07/08 23:38:18
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8364
    Re:Copycat Recipe like Beano's Submarine Dressing? 2011/07/09 03:50:46 (permalink)
    I dont agree with Dawn and her assessment. The Beano's I have bought for many years has a separation of oil and vinegar-it just has so many herbs it doesnt appear that way.You still have to shake it prior to use. And because it is sold at room temperature, the separation is even less noticable. Once refrigerated, there is a definate difference.
    However, I simply use red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic salt and tons of oregano.
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Copycat Recipe like Beano's Submarine Dressing? 2011/07/09 06:48:32 (permalink)
    Ann,
    If you recall the thread we had a year or two ago, I carefully separated a Beano's and a Boar's head bottles of dressing. Yes there is a small amount of vinegar, but not enough to create a separation zone between the herbs and oil. For the most part, the little vinegar is either absorbed in the herbs or just around it. They had to be squeezed in a small strainer just so I could get an idea of how much vinegar there actually was. I need to do a search on this. Don, David, and I don't remember who else was in on this thread. I shared the both the inital and later the completed recipe that was indestinguishable from the Boar's Head which is the one that uses olive oil instead of the soy oil. The oil in particular had a slight lemon taint to it that could only have come from an infusion beforehand.  I need to check a few cds or my recipe folder and see if I can find the file or if it's still in my PM folder for what else there was. 
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8364
    Re:Copycat Recipe like Beano's Submarine Dressing? 2011/07/09 07:57:31 (permalink)
    I do not doubt your vast research, and welcome it. Maybe my last bottle seemed to separate because the olive oil they presumably use gets cloudy with refrigeration. Looks like separation to me. Either way, I believe the poster is looking for the taste, rather than the exact recipe which would be labor intensive.
    deepfryerdan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re:Copycat Recipe like Beano's Submarine Dressing? 2011/07/11 11:53:52 (permalink)
    I've never heard of Beano's.. I dont think they sell it around here. What other dressings would it be comparable to?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1