Corky's Pizza East Hartford

Author
Tommy2dogs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 348
2005/06/17 19:04:21 (permalink)

Corky's Pizza East Hartford

Does anybody remember Corky's Pizza in East Hartford Ct? I just came across an ad for Corky's in Arlington Texas that has Wood Fired Brick Ovens and is owned by a guy named Nick who owned Corky's in Hartford from the mid 70's to 1995. His father "Corky" had the original Corky's in Hartford from 1937 to rhe mid 50's. All the history is on the website http://corkyspizza.com/index.html

5 Replies Related Threads

ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1587
    RE: Corky's Pizza East Hartford 2005/07/03 12:27:10 (permalink)
    Hey thanks for the link. when I first saw your post, I said to myself "I rememebr eating at a Pizza place a couple times in the late 80's and early 90's near Hartford on my way up to Boston, and I think it was called Corky's" My recollection however was that it was in East Hartford rather than actual Hartford.

On the web site it indicates that the East Hartford Corky's was opened by the son. It was terrific, memorable pizza. Sorry to read it closed in 1995.

One thing I remember that was odd to me, being from NY/NJ, was that you were suppsoed to call up and order your pizza in advance, even though you were dining in. Being from out of town, we didn't know the rules, and were sort of penalized by having to wait until our pizza was ready before being offered a table. But it was worth the wait.

---ken
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Corky's Pizza East Hartford 2005/07/03 16:43:18 (permalink)
    Excellent I will give them a try this week. Good Pizza is almost impossible to find here in DFW Texas In my county, Pizza Hut was voted best Pizza 3 years in row.
    murbike
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Corky's Pizza East Hartford 2005/07/03 17:21:44 (permalink)
    I grew up on Adams St in East Hartford, and Corky's was on the corner of Adams and Main. You can see my old house from the parking lot.

The Corky's in EH did not have wood fired ovens. Great pizza.

This site brings back tons of memories. I remember when they came to the neighborhood, and I remember the building in the first picture. Before he moved in, there was a hair salon (Cut n Curl, I think), and something else next door. The white house next to the restaurant was an old style doctor's office/house. Corky bought that house (you can see the roof in the sky shot), and the building to the right (now parking).

For years, some of the neighbors were at war with him. They used to dump raw dough and other food in back of the store, and that brought rats, stench, and nastiness. The pic from 1995 shows the parking lot after it was resurfaced, and the dumpster was enclosed (used to be a dirt parking lot). In the old days, the dumpster was open, and nasty.

Still, the food was outstanding.
    NickDee
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Corky's Pizza East Hartford 2005/07/10 19:41:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ken8038

Hey thanks for the link. when I first saw your post, I said to myself "I rememebr eating at a Pizza place a couple times in the late 80's and early 90's near Hartford on my way up to Boston, and I think it was called Corky's" My recollection however was that it was in East Hartford rather than actual Hartford.

On the web site it indicates that the East Hartford Corky's was opened by the son. It was terrific, memorable pizza. Sorry to read it closed in 1995.

One thing I remember that was odd to me, being from NY/NJ, was that you were suppsoed to call up and order your pizza in advance, even though you were dining in. Being from out of town, we didn't know the rules, and were sort of penalized by having to wait until our pizza was ready before being offered a table. But it was worth the wait.

---ken
    NickDee
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Corky's Pizza East Hartford 2005/07/10 19:55:35 (permalink)
    Your kind words are appreciated. It wasn't that you "we're supposed to call in your order". That was merely a service available to try and minimize your wait. Sometimes the wait to get in was over an hour. They were always trying to accomodate as much as possible.
    Nick
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1