Corn Dogs.....Worth the effort ?

Author
festivalfood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
2008/08/16 22:07:34 (permalink)

Corn Dogs.....Worth the effort ?

I have mentioned in a few previous posts that I am finishing redoing one of my Waymatic concession trailers.I am debating my decision to serve corn dogs.I have a gas corn dog fryer,and was going to use it for fries and corn dogs,but I was wondering if it will be worth the effort and if people will want the fresh dipped corn dogs using Sabrett hot dogs.I am actually experimenting with a beer batter dipped Sabrett dog(corn dog style).I originally thought that it would go over big,especially since any corn dog I ever had used a cheap mushy dog,and they still sell well at fairs and festivals.The rest of my menu will be grilled Sabretts, with fresh made meaty,spicy chili.fried peppers and onions,kraut,red onion sauce,relish,etc.Hot and sweet sausage and peppers,real Italian hot dogs(fried in split pizza bread with fried potatoes.peppers and onions).Crinkle cut fries,and drinks.So what do you think about the corn dogs?

5 Replies Related Threads

guspas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Corn Dogs.....Worth the effort ? 2008/08/27 14:32:56 (permalink)
    i personally love em but if ur working festivals, then everyone and their mom will have em. id focus on offering something others aren't offering.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Corn Dogs.....Worth the effort ? 2008/08/27 16:40:32 (permalink)
    If you haven't already, you might want to post this question up in the professionals forum.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5406
    RE: Corn Dogs.....Worth the effort ? 2008/08/27 22:38:27 (permalink)
    We went to a local fair last Saturday, I had 2 hand dipped corn dogs. The batter was great but the dogs were yucky cheap ones. I would have gladly another buck for a good dog to go with the great batter.
    festivalfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Corn Dogs.....Worth the effort ? 2008/08/30 17:17:10 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies.I will have my trailer at a very busy fixed location,so the menu will be pretty much up to me,but I understand about corn dogs and fairs.I also have never had a quality hot dog used in a corn dog,only cheap mushy ones.I know a guy who is a successful food vendor at many fairs and festivals,but he is a true "Carny" at heart.He buys the cheapest nastiest hot dogs he can find when he sells them at an event,and charges top dollar.What I mean by "Carny" is he has those shark eyes that looks through you like an open wallet,waiting to have your money removed by him!LOL!! I would rather not run a fryer in the trailer if possible,it just keeps things cleaner inside,and it's just one less thing to deal with,but I kinda like the idea of a quality corn dog,or beer battered dog!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: Corn Dogs.....Worth the effort ? 2008/08/30 20:10:05 (permalink)
    I really wonder if the batter makes the difference. My guess is that it really does and when the dog is really hot, can anyone really tell the difference. I guess they can but when they are hot, it is difficult.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1