Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Corn On The Cob

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 31 to 60 of 139
mikez629

• Total Posts: 307
RE: Corn On The Cob Wed, 01/23/08 5:31 PM (permalink)
Every fall we go out to the North fork of Long Island and go pumkin picking-them have roasted corn on the cob-its roasted in a big oven-them peel back the husk and dip in melted butter and sprinkle it with sea salt-I eat 4-5 in a day-soooooo goooood.

daytrader106

• Total Posts: 106
    RE: Corn On The Cob Sun, 02/17/08 4:46 AM (permalink)
    I have to say. The idea of grilling sweet corn with the HUSK down is not the right way.

Get FRESH sweet corn. Witht he husk on and tight. Spray or dunk it in water. Then place on the grill OR into a bed of coals if you are camping.

Once the husk starts to get dark.

Pull the corn out or off the grill. Peal it back. If you like butter add some, BUT you should not need any. All the moisture will be held in by the husk. Steaming the corn to perfection.

daytrader106

• Total Posts: 106
      RE: Corn On The Cob Sun, 02/17/08 4:50 AM (permalink)
      Also, Dip the corn on the cob WITH husk on. In some water. Place in the microwave for 50 seconds.

It will come out ready to eat.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
        RE: Corn On The Cob Mon, 02/18/08 2:50 PM (permalink)
        I absolutely love grilled corn and I never add butter or salt. If I have gotten hold of some good fresh sweet corn, to me, it doesn't need anything else.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1909
          RE: Corn On The Cob Tue, 02/19/08 11:47 AM (permalink)
          Earlier in this thread I mentioned Mirai sweet corn that I am trying for the first time this year. I have also ordered, from Burpee, a red colored sweet corn that I have heard about. I had some red seed last year too, but forgot to plant it.

chef2be

• Total Posts: 41
            RE: Corn On The Cob Tue, 03/4/08 11:27 PM (permalink)
            The best is at summerfest and the Wisconsin state fair and adding a little of their special salt makes it even better

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
              RE: Corn On The Cob Wed, 03/5/08 12:35 AM (permalink)
              I used to live on a farm in Kansas when I was a kid and we grew our own white sweet corn that we used to eat raw; even though it was better roasted with salt, pepper, and butter. Sometimes you just can't wait. Smoked corn is also a favorite of mine. I have never seen it in any restaurant but I do make it at home. It makes really great corn chowder!

David O.

repartee

• Total Posts: 111
                RE: Corn On The Cob Tue, 05/20/08 1:14 PM (permalink)
                boyardee,

could you tell us how to make that smoked corn.

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                  RE: Corn On The Cob Tue, 05/20/08 1:22 PM (permalink)
                  Why would you husk corn before grilling it? Let the husks catch the ashes. My corn grows where I stand, and that's the secret to good corn on the bone. Get it fresh. Corn chowder is for when you have some cans of cream style and you don't want to taste the yuck they add. It's also pretty good out of the microwave, unlike most foods.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
                    RE: Corn On The Cob Tue, 05/20/08 1:43 PM (permalink)
                    My favorite methond for doing corn is pretty simple. I grill it. I peel back the husks and remove the silk. Then I close the husks back up and soak them for an hour. I light my charcoal and when it's developed the right ash I spread it out and add some soaked wood chips on top. I then grill the corn for about ten or 15 minutes, turning to get good grill marks all over. This stuff is wonderful, with a slightly smoky aroma and flavor

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                      RE: Corn On The Cob Tue, 05/20/08 1:52 PM (permalink)
                      Try painting the corn lightly with a mixture of butter and sweet BBQ sauce and cook it the exact way Michael says...Russ

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                        RE: Corn On The Cob Tue, 05/27/08 4:20 PM (permalink)
                        I plant corn every spring (about 50 plants), and every summer the squirrels destroy them all. DESTROY!!! the crop looks like a tornado hit it.

tmiles

RE: Corn On The Cob Wed, 05/28/08 3:39 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by tmiles

Earlier in this thread I mentioned Mirai sweet corn that I am trying for the first time this year. I have also ordered, from Burpee, a red colored sweet corn that I have heard about. I had some red seed last year too, but forgot to plant it.

My home garden corn is planted. I'll start the season with a very early old fashoned yellow,"Early Sunglow", because the new supersweets don't germinate in cool soil. Today I planted "Ruby Queen" a red supersweet, and "Breedres Choice" a yellow supersweet to pollinate the red because the red produces little pollin. I also planted 2 rows of Mirai because I had a little extra space, but it is really a week or two early to plant the Mirai. I bought a few pounds of the Mirai seed for a small commercial plot and noticed that the seed is very light. Because it is light and very low in starch the soil temp should be 70 degrees before planting Mirai. A population of rabbits has built up in the yard. I fence the other veggies, but not corn or tomatoes. I hope that they leave the unfenced stuff alone. The rabbits always beat the fence in the end, so I plant extra.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                            RE: Corn On The Cob Wed, 05/28/08 4:43 PM (permalink)
                            Corn is coming in here in Florida now, I bought 10 ears and grilled them Sunday, so good. When at work I shuck down to the last few husks, wrap in a WET paper towel and microwave anywhere from 3-5 minutes. I'll eat 2-3 for lunch. Love it.

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
                              RE: Corn On The Cob Wed, 05/28/08 5:02 PM (permalink)
                              I live near a couple of farms that seel fresh white or bicolored corn at roadside stans for 3bux@dozen. Sweet as candy and tender enough to eat raw.
                              britt

rmcielwain

• Total Posts: 607
                                RE: Corn On The Cob Wed, 05/28/08 9:56 PM (permalink)

Yep, definitely here in Florida now: got 4 ears & boiled them last night....sweet!

baileysoriginal

• Total Posts: 758
                                  RE: Corn On The Cob Wed, 05/28/08 10:54 PM (permalink)
                                  I bought two ears of the new corn yesterday and prepared it exactly as Michael Hoffman described, on the grill, along with a stuffed pork loin and some stuffed mushrooms.

And it was some good eating.

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
                                    RE: Corn On The Cob Wed, 05/28/08 11:36 PM (permalink)
                                    They have fresh corn here now in the Dallas area. But I will say that corn here and where I'm from, central new york, tastes different. Even when I lived in C.N.Y and could drive down the road and choose from the different farmers, corn taste differed. The soil made all the difference.

OliverB

• Total Posts: 50
                                      RE: Corn On The Cob Sat, 05/31/08 10:32 AM (permalink)
                                      I make several trips up north to the Laurentian mountains in the summer months and always stop off at the roadside farmer's markets along the way where you can find barrels of freshly picked husks of sweet corn. Nothing beats it.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: Corn On The Cob Sat, 05/31/08 3:34 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by fabulousoyster

I plant corn every spring (about 50 plants), and every summer the squirrels destroy them all. DESTROY!!! the crop looks like a tornado hit it.

Sounds like I would be having squirrel to eat with my corn

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                          RE: Corn On The Cob Sat, 05/31/08 10:15 PM (permalink)
                                          Just had a good batch today-not from Wisconsin yet, but I think it was from Florida...Wonderfully sweet!

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                            RE: Corn On The Cob Sun, 06/1/08 9:47 AM (permalink)
                                            All of you Florida corn eaters...

If you don't mind me asking, what are you paying for sweet corn this year? I know with ethanol and simple inflation the price of corn has really gone up, but it didn't hit me just how MUCH it had gone up until I was at Publix the other day. Every year around this time, they would have a sale on locally grown corn and have all the husks in a big barrel-like box in the produce department. Seems like season before last, the sale price would be 10 ears for a buck. This year, the price has gone to eight ears for TWO BUCKS. That is a huge increase in a very short period of time....so, I ended up passing on the corn.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1932
                                              RE: Corn On The Cob Sun, 06/1/08 9:55 AM (permalink)
                                              I agree, Mikez629. I use fresh butter and a dusting of RealSalt. I could eat three or four in a row and call it a meal.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
                                                • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: Corn On The Cob Sun, 06/1/08 10:09 AM (permalink)

TTM We bought FL Sweet Corn this past week at 4/$1 at our local veggie stand. They had both 'white' and 'bi-color' available. No claims were made about it being 'Silver Queen', or 'Butter and Sugar' or 'peaches and Cream' specifically, but it was very good for early-long transport corn.

We pan fry a large steak (for 2) in some bacon drippings, keep the pan hot after the steak cooks while the corn is done in boiling water. After removing the corn and drip-drying it, we will drop the ears in the still hot frying pan with whatever meat juice and bacon drippings may remain. Roll it around enough to coat the ears..or at least get them a trace of pan-drippings, then serve with the steak.

brickie

• Total Posts: 226
                                                  RE: Corn On The Cob Sun, 06/1/08 10:23 AM (permalink)
                                                  I may regret this...
                                                  THE BEST sweet corn I have ever tasted is grown in Thompson Ct.
                                                  The variety is "Montauk". I buy it at Woodstock orchards.

Big Ugly Mich

RE: Corn On The Cob Mon, 06/2/08 5:48 PM (permalink)
                                                    TRUE STORY:

I visitied the Illinois State Fair last summer and had a cob of corn. On the table was a spray bottle filled with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. What was that for? Illinois isn't Wisconsin, but they have cows that are capable of producing butter!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
                                                      • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      RE: Corn On The Cob Mon, 06/2/08 6:04 PM (permalink)

At our local Fall Festivals a number of fund-raising booths sell Sweet Corn, either grilled or boiled/steamed, In both formats the ear is usally dipped in melted BUTTER (not fake butter) before being handed, dripping with goodness, to the customer. I love to sit and devour those huge ears!

Big Ugly Mich

RE: Corn On The Cob Mon, 06/2/08 6:07 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by fabulousoyster
                                                        The solution to your problem is elementary. I've seen a chihuahua chase an infestation of geese from the apartment complex my then-girlfriend lived in. That's what kept the management from kicking her and her dog out. You may want to get something bigger than a chihuahua in case the deer start hitting your patch up for handouts.

Dogs are proof that there is a God who loves us.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                          • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          RE: Corn On The Cob Mon, 06/2/08 6:12 PM (permalink)
                                                          TTM

Last year our local farmers stand was $3/dz, nobody has any good stuff yet

I am waiting though..

AL

You got strawberries??? I wonder how the crop is coming along with all the cool weather we had, should be about time for some fresh local

tmiles

• Location: Millbury, MA
                                                            RE: Corn On The Cob Tue, 06/3/08 12:57 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by The Travelin Man

All of you Florida corn eaters...

If you don't mind me asking, what are you paying for sweet corn this year? I know with ethanol and simple inflation the price of corn has really gone up, but it didn't hit me just how MUCH it had gone up until I was at Publix the other day. Every year around this time, they would have a sale on locally grown corn and have all the husks in a big barrel-like box in the produce department. Seems like season before last, the sale price would be 10 ears for a buck. This year, the price has gone to eight ears for TWO BUCKS. That is a huge increase in a very short period of time....so, I ended up passing on the corn.

Both field corn and sweet corn are far more expensive to grow this year, but the sweet corn uses less fertilizer, and so costs a little less to grow. Sweet corn costs more to pick ,pack and ship. I grow only sweet corn. I used to grow 30 or 40 acres, but now less than an acre. I buy my field corn (sheep feed) from another farmer. He had a very good year last year, but after paying taxes, and living for a year, he had to borrow more than ever to plant this spring, due to higher input costs.

When I grew wholesale sweet corn, the price that I got had little to do with my production costs. Supply and demand set the price.Some times I made out and some times I didn't. Retail was also somewhat supply and demand, but most of the people who have farm stands in my area have moved to a "take it or leave it" attitude. Most of us set price based on production costs now. I plan to charge $1 per ear or $8 per dozen this season, with the customer allowed to husk on the spot, rejecting unwanted ears. I expect to sell out each of the few days that I have sweet corn. I will not make much on it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 31 to 60 of 139

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com