Corn Tortillas as Snack

Author
lone nut
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
2007/07/11 23:07:54 (permalink)

Corn Tortillas as Snack

I was reading up on corn tortillas lately. Looks like I'll have to buy a press and a bag of masa harina and try making my own. Everyone says the commercial mass produced units are woefully crummy compared to fresh made, and I don't doubt it. Masa is everywhere here in LA, I think a press is under $20. The mass produced disks are OK for enchiladas, or chips, but as a bready sort of snack, fresh is better. There are a couple of trains of thought on warming the store bought tortillas: Steam in the microwave, or heat over a gas burner. I've tried both. Steaming involves wrapping the thing in a moist paper towel and zapping it. The product is good, but this is too cumbersome, and trying to handle the hot paper towel is no fun. I was surprised that just throwing it on the gas burner for 8 sec or so on each side works really well, I thought it would just dry it out. But no, it's fine as long as you don't overdo it. I like butter and salsa on the warm tortilla. Whipped butter is a good idea. In Dallas, you always get warm corn tortillas in a plastic container at the table in restaurants. At least the ones I patronize. And plenty of hot, red, runny (not chunky) salsa, sometimes in pouring devices like those "maple" syrup containers at coffee shops. I'm getting one of those.

10 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Corn Tortillas as Snack 2007/07/11 23:23:25 (permalink)
    Ditto here on wanting to make my own... But from what I've read, make sure you get a cast iron one.. Guess the wooden ones work, but these seem to have a better pattern or something..

How to: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/recipe_corntortillas.htm
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Corn Tortillas as Snack 2007/08/21 17:30:11 (permalink)
    As far as heating them goes, I'd be lost without my ancient cast iron comal.
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1455
    RE: Corn Tortillas as Snack 2007/09/06 10:58:36 (permalink)
    I made an attmpet to make them fresh by rolling them (I have seen a press in my local hispanic market)...didn't turn out so well...
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 985
    RE: Corn Tortillas as Snack 2007/09/12 09:59:07 (permalink)
    We're lucky enough to have several excellent locally-owned taquerias here in Topeka, where you can get fresh corn tortillas that are so good you have to start eating them on the way home. They don't keep well, but I just go buy another batch. They make excellent enchiladas.
    salindgren
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: Corn Tortillas as Snack 2007/11/18 06:51:07 (permalink)
    Wait, the person in Topeka is eating corn tortillas on the way home?? With no butter or salsa?? I could not do that. MAYBE flour ones. Well, see my post (today) about roasting chiles. The device I describe should work nicely for corn tortillas as well.
    -Scott Lindgren
    scottlindgren@netzero.com
    Mad Scientist
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Corn Tortillas as Snack 2007/11/19 18:18:32 (permalink)
    Lodge makes a good cast iron comal. They don't call it that (it's called some sort of pancake skillet or griddle, but it has the same minimal lip as a comal.) It's also great for searing a quick steak

I buy all my Lodge cast iron from Amazon, because they have a good variety, are cheaper than any Lodge source around here (<$10 for the comal) and shipping is free on any order over $25. I think they *lose* money overall after S/H on each of my cast iron orders. Some people have big collections of stainless, but I use cast iron, a giant wok or nonstick pans almost exclusively and hardly touch the stainless)

Besides, I can browse/order when it occurs to me, and it'll show up magically on my doorstep soon after
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Corn Tortillas as Snack 2007/11/19 19:21:16 (permalink)
    I use my various heirloom Griswold cast iron pans for everything except for when I'm doing spaghetti sauce, chili or soup. For that I have a large SS stock pot.
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Corn Tortillas as Snack 2007/11/21 10:07:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by salindgren

Wait, the person in Topeka is eating corn tortillas on the way home?? With no butter or salsa?? I could not do that. MAYBE flour ones. Well, see my post (today) about roasting chiles. The device I describe should work nicely for corn tortillas as well.
    -Scott Lindgren

Kinda hard to put butter or salsa on them while driving my truck. We used to eat them on the way home when we lived in Houston, too.
    Fresh corn tortillas from a taqueria (NOT the cardboard ones from the supermarket) are sublime, but many Anglos have never tried them. I much prefer them to flout tortillas.
    salindgren
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: Corn Tortillas as Snack 2007/11/21 19:57:50 (permalink)
    OK, Niagara says it would be a problem to have corn tortillas WITH butter and salsa in his truck, but here's a couple of ideas about that... Many of you have probably read that book that talks about using your vehicle's motor as a stove, or oven. You could warm up the tortillas on the exhaust manifold, right? Now we're talking REAL RoadFood.
    Now, real butter is a problem, but I can put up with margarine in a pinch, you could keep a pile of those little containers in a cool, dry spot. A jar of salsa is a problem, but decide which fast food has the best salsa packages, and just stuff a bunch in your pocket. Buy a coke, steal the salsa. Isn't there some kind of weird squeezable imitation butter out there? With that you don't even need a utensil.
    -Scott Lindgren
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Corn Tortillas as Snack 2007/11/26 12:35:40 (permalink)
    salindgren-

When you buy fresh corn tortillas at a taqueria, they still are warm.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1