Corn fed or grass fed?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
2003/11/08 18:01:39 (permalink)

Corn fed or grass fed?

I think I am leaning toward grass fed steak, but maybe that's a fluke ... any other opinions? i think most steak houses are corn fed ....

57 Replies Related Threads

pineyhill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2003/11/08 20:31:26 (permalink)
    Hmmm last I knew corn has always been considered a grain. Shouldn't the comparison be corn fed vs grass fed.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2003/11/10 07:46:45 (permalink)
    oops, you are right. that is what i meant.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2003/11/10 23:27:18 (permalink)
    I really am curious about the difference. I buy what's offered at my local supermarket, not knowing anything about it; and for very special occasions I'll buy from Lobel's, which has been invariably wonderful. But enlightenment is nice. What are the differences in flavor? marbling? tenderness? I'd love to know more.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2003/11/11 07:44:19 (permalink)
    Prime is prime, choice is choice. I defy anyone out there to tell the difference between two identical prime cuts of beef as to whether they were fed one way or the other. I even had a "kobe-style" steak a few years ago and I couldn't say it was any better than the prime cuts I consumed. My wallet was the only thing that could tell.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2003/11/11 09:08:24 (permalink)
    Actually ALL beef starts out as grass fed---thats what Ranchers feed cattle---grass---and a few other things that grown in it--thats what all the steaks and chili's of the cowboys and vaccaros(sp)that are the beginnings of America's great"Beef--its whats for dinner!" tradition is based on----Grain fed beef is "Feed lot" beef----when the cattle drive ended up there at the railhead--those people---feedlot owners,feed cattle grains---usually corn.They fatten up quicker and "marbling" in the meat is developed---basically they pen them so they cant move around much and put them on a high carbo diet!

Alot of people never even see grass fed beef---although there is a burgoning market for it developing i think in large part to folks wanting to get organic or high quality foods. And once again---when the retailers find a market for food that is LESS processed and uses fewer middlemen,oddly enough it cost the consumer MORE!!!????Oh well--i dont have that problem as half of my nieghbors have acres of good quality grass fed beef---and this is prime time to get some freash---as a matter of fact a very good friend is rounding up a bunch this week. They usually fill the family freezers at the same time and THAT is really good grass fed beef--his are brangus. You may try to find an online source and look for a local custom butcher that could tie you to a source--its good--and if you buy it from the rancher direct he/she may actually make as much money off his beef as the grocerers do!!
    vwhombre
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2003/11/14 14:22:41 (permalink)
    If ya be wantin a good store bought steak, try to find colemans. its an organic ranch in colorado(grass fed i presume) even the flavorless filet has a very rich beefy flavor like eating a stesk for the first time.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13493
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2003/11/15 07:14:01 (permalink)
    When I was in Buenos Aires, Argentina, the restaurants that feature beef pride them selves that their beef is grass fed from the high protein blue stem grass that grows naturally on the Argentine plains.

I do not know that I would know the difference but the beef I had there was the best I had ever had.

I had steak, red wine and their potatoes ever night I was there. If I go back, I will do the same.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2003/11/15 09:35:22 (permalink)
    Back when we and eveyone else around here raised and butchered their own beef, the cattle were grass fed, but everyone brought the cattle from the pasture to the lot and grain fed them for about a week before butchering them, supposedly to "clear the grass out of their system". I don't know if that made any difference or not (and it probably didn't), but that was some fine beef. What made me think of this was reading tiki's post above. Hope he got some from the neighbor's current butchering. Everyone around here had Herford or Angus.

Also would comment that my experience with and opinion of Argentine beef agrees with Sundancer. And I'd forgotten about that blue stem grass everyone down there talked about.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2003/11/15 12:46:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki
    [Alot of people never even see grass fed beef---although there is a burgoning market for it developing i think in large part to folks wanting to get organic or high quality foods. And once again---when the retailers find a market for food that is LESS processed and uses fewer middlemen,oddly enough it cost the consumer MORE!!!????Oh well--i dont have that problem as half of my nieghbors have acres of good quality grass fed beef---and this is prime time to get some freash---as a matter of fact a very good friend is rounding up a bunch this week. They usually fill the family freezers at the same time and THAT is really good grass fed beef--his are brangus. You may try to find an online source and look for a local custom butcher that could tie you to a source--its good--and if you buy it from the rancher direct he/she may actually make as much money off his beef as the grocerers do!!

I prefer grass fed. I am lucky enough to have a relationship with a neighbor that raises cattle as a hobby (he did it for a living along with training thoroughbreds for about 40 years) and he raises them in some gorgeous grass. Their feed is supplemented slightly with grain from the Abita Brewery (that's how I met him, I gave him the grain for years). A couple of times a year he lets us have a cow to slaughter, as long as I am willing to let him buy one or two more at auction (I pay for the calfs). It is a great arrangement and I really don't have to do anything except open and close gates when he is out of town and go out to the butcher and tell him how I want it after it has been hanging for a couple of weeks. It's a great deal and I enjoy the personal relationship I have with the guy, do the beef is just a bonus.

He also has a championship quality catfish pond. It's just about as easy to get 3 or 4 good size cats as it is to go to the market and buy them, and a whole lot more fun.
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2003/11/15 22:25:21 (permalink)
    When the young kids I teach mention chocolate milk, I tell them it comes from cows that have been fed chocolate bars. Works for a while.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2003/11/16 07:22:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rumbelly

When the young kids I teach mention chocolate milk, I tell them it comes from cows that have been fed chocolate bars. Works for a while.

My grandfather used to tell me that different teats on the cows udders gave different milk and that the one in the back was orange juice--thats why its sold in mmilk cartons in the dairy section!I think i believed him too!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2003/11/17 12:06:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

I prefer grass fed. I am lucky enough to have a relationship with a neighbor that raises cattle as a hobby (he did it for a living along with training thoroughbreds for about 40 years) and he raises them in some gorgeous grass. Their feed is supplemented slightly with grain from the Abita Brewery (that's how I met him, I gave him the grain for years). A couple of times a year he lets us have a cow to slaughter, as long as I am willing to let him buy one or two more at auction (I pay for the calfs). It is a great arrangement and I really don't have to do anything except open and close gates when he is out of town and go out to the butcher and tell him how I want it after it has been hanging for a couple of weeks. It's a great deal and I enjoy the personal relationship I have with the guy, do the beef is just a bonus.

He also has a championship quality catfish pond. It's just about as easy to get 3 or 4 good size cats as it is to go to the market and buy them, and a whole lot more fun.

Working on much the same deal with my friend here--who also has three nice unfished farm ponds with catfish crappie and bass----offered their use to me as they dont fish them. Glad they dont--doesnt take long to get dinner for 2!
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2003/11/19 10:59:23 (permalink)
    We keep 25-35 cows on our place in South Texas, and all they eat is grass (mainly coastal) and there are usually some oats planted as well. During dry spells we burn prickly pear, which the cows adore.

We supplement with cubes, kind of a "cow candy". All it takes is a rattle of a bucket of cubes from the back of a pickup and they will follow at a trot anywhere you want them to go!

My husbands uncle has a butcher shop in town where all the meat is processed so I keep our freezer full.

A few weeks ago we ran out (will get more this weekend when husband and kids go hunting), and I bought some hamburger at the grocery store. I thought it smelled strange as I was cooking it and did not like the taste either!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2004/02/12 18:49:18 (permalink)
    Most beef bought in the USA starts out as grass fed and in the end are taken to a feed lot where they are fed huge amounts of grain where they can gain several hundred pounds. I have driven past some of the in Texas and Colarado and they are huge with many thousands of animals being fed basically all they can eat. Then at a prescribed time they are slaughtered. This is done under controlled conditions.

Argentine beef is mostly totally raised on blue stem grass. They are not feed lot cattle.

I have had both types and my preference is Argentine beef. It may be just a preference with me and it is totally my opinion.

The best beef I have ever had in my life was in Buenos Aires.

It is my understanding that chemicals are not used anywhere near as much as they are in the USA because of the conditions which they are raised.. Animals in feed lots are in very crowded conditions and extremely unsantitary conditions although approved by USDA. You can judge for yourself if you drive past one. Feces and urine soaks the ground and the animals sleep in it. It invites disease and infection. It has to be controlled by antibiotics. When cattle come off the farm enroute to the feed lot, they are generally in very good contitions cause the cattle farmers graze them in the fields. It is suggested that the problems come when they reach the feed lots.

Just another point to consider where your purchase your favorite cut of whatever.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2004/02/12 20:58:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

We keep 25-35 cows on our place in South Texas, and all they eat is grass (mainly coastal) and there are usually some oats planted as well. During dry spells we burn prickly pear, which the cows adore.

We supplement with cubes, kind of a "cow candy". All it takes is a rattle of a bucket of cubes from the back of a pickup and they will follow at a trot anywhere you want them to go!

My husbands uncle has a butcher shop in town where all the meat is processed so I keep our freezer full.

A few weeks ago we ran out (will get more this weekend when husband and kids go hunting), and I bought some hamburger at the grocery store. I thought it smelled strange as I was cooking it and did not like the taste either!

Any tips (sirloin) on how/where to buy grass fed beef at a reasonable price??
    Pepper Breath
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2004/02/13 07:18:38 (permalink)
    One of the most melt in your mouth, tastiest, cow's my Dad ever raised was grass fed with about a half bucket of ground Oat and corn every day. She was very unstressed,which also makes a big difference.
    I had a friend in the Air Force who's family raised beef for the "Prime" market and they alway's fed a ration of soy in the ground feed. Must be that tofu works for cattle, too.
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2004/02/13 08:53:31 (permalink)
    WELL finally, something I know about! We raise beef cattle out here, and there are many feedlots also. Grass fed beef is more flavorful. Feedlot cattle spend most of their life standing in a pen full of manure eating. Which would you choose

Nebraska Woman
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2004/02/13 09:03:37 (permalink)
    Feeding grain to steers to get them ready for market is nothing new. Remember the "fatted calf" from the Bible?
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2004/02/13 18:27:52 (permalink)
    Sorry, I thought opinions were welcome! " />
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2004/02/13 20:35:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EatBeef

WELL finally, something I know about! We raise beef cattle out here, and there are many feedlots also. Grass fed beef is more flavorful. Feedlot cattle spend most of their life standing in a pen full of manure eating. Which would you choose

Nebraska Woman

Bout says it all!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2004/02/13 20:37:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EatBeef

Sorry, I thought opinions were welcome! " />

They are, nothing for you to be sorry for.
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2004/02/13 22:07:18 (permalink)
    Thanks tiki!

Kayleigh
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2006/03/25 21:46:43 (permalink)
    I have read all these posts and still am not sure what's going on.

Grass Fed
    Kobe
    Angus
    Free Range

I know a good steak medium rare.
    Other than that I have no clue.
    Do any of the above terms mean much or are they all marketing ploys.

Kay
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2006/03/25 22:28:17 (permalink)
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11999

http://www.wolfesneckfarm.org/

http://www.laurasleanbeef.com/

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11061

I have tried both of the meat from each link.
    The beef was far superior tasting and looking. I try to go "organic/natural" when buying beef now.
    These links tell lots about the why's and wherefore's ... Do some research and a taste test. You can tell the quality. I didnt think I could, but it was overwhelming.
    I particularly like the Wolfes Neck, but it is not available here in South Carolina.
    http://www.natural-beef.com/
    There is another brand, which is not available here either, but I am still doing research on the grass fed beef.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15272
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2006/03/25 22:35:15 (permalink)
    Kay
    You are digging back into history, aren't you.

1. Free Range- Terms used for cows that have the freedom to move around a field or pasture, or open land to graze as the mood hits them.
    2. Grass fed- A grass-eating cow. These are the ones you may see in a field chewing on bales of hay set out for them by the farmer/rancher. They may be barn-kept also.
    3. Kobe- Originally this was a Japanese process for specialized feeding and treatment of cattle. It included beer mash and by-products of the brewing of beer as a major food source for the cows. The cows were pampered by the farmers in that they received physical rub-downs and massages to assist their muscular development. The beef from this process was very scarce and extremely expensive. In the U S A this is often called Kobe-Style Beef. It demands premium prices and the amount of the Kobe Process may vary greatly. In many cases it is probably more of a marketing ploy than a real "Kobe Beef" process.
    4. Angus- is a breed of cattle with many subsets and cross-breeding off of the original Angus breed. Many times the term in the finished beef products are just a marketing label with no real connection to the breed of cow that donated the actual beef in the package.

Hope that helped...and I invite anyone with more knowledge than me (and that would be a lot of you) to add or correct my outline.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2006/03/26 05:30:56 (permalink)
    My brother inlaw use to raise white faced herfords, his choice because of disposition,quality and beef per pound. Always grass fead and the last 30 to 45 days on the combination of grain and silage. The silage he use to get from the Budwiser brewery a biproduct of making the beer at one time it was free now you have to pay for it. His hogs loved it also, on occasion they would break out of the pen and you would know where to find them, they were happy as a pig in whatever. When butchered, his beef was outstanding, great marbeling and the fat was almost a deep yellow color. He also slaughtered his own, it wouldn't be unuseuall to go vist him and he would have something hanging from the chain fall with his young children running around. I sure do miss his farm products he is now raseing a good crop of condos. Thats progress. Chow Jim
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2006/03/26 08:19:31 (permalink)
    The cattle we raise in Nevada, are for the most part range cattle, that is, we lease land from the BLM, Bureau of Land Management, and move out cattle twice a year from our pastures, land which we own, and where the cattle eat primarily alfalfa and then they are moved to the open range where they eat scrub grass and sage brush. We then bring them home, think old timey cattle drives. Although we also use trucks to haul some of them home. It is a cheaper and more efficient way to do it, but certainly not as much fun Most of them are then again pastured and fed a diet of alfalfa,which we grow, or purchase in cubes. For our own eating, we fast feed them for 45 days on corn, and a couple of bottles of beer a day. It fattens them up with a well marbled mass. I prefer corn fed cattle, as range and alfalfa fed cattle taste like grass to me. As a kid growing up in the Midwest all the beef raised was corn fed, and I prefer that taste. However many of my customers, and their customers prefer alfalfa fed beef, so I give them what they want. We also fatten our pigs and sheep with a primary diet of corn. To me it just taste better.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2006/03/26 10:07:13 (permalink)
    I was in the Pampas area of Argentinia a few years ago. As I understand it, this is one of the most fertile areas on earth. Their cattle grazes entirely a variety of blue stem grass. I think it is very high in protein.

It was explained to me that they do not finish their cattle off with corn.

I guess there are arguments on both sides but in my opinion, the Argentine beef is hard to beat.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Corn fed or grass fed? 2006/03/26 10:31:12 (permalink)
    Blue Stem Grass is very high in protein. It also has higher sugar content then most other grasses, which makes it a very unique feed source. This combination makes for a feed that makes for a well marbled mass. We did an exchange program with some Argentinian cattle ranchers through the Department of Agriculture several years ago, and I have to agree that their beef is of a very high quality, tender, well flavored and cooks up very nice. Our climate in Nevada is not conducive to the growing of Blue Stem, not enough moisture. On my scale of good, I would rate true Kobe as the best beef hands down, American corn fed beef with a 3 to 5 week hang time second, Argentinian beef 3rd, and suprisingly enough UK beef ( which is all grass fed )4th. However, Paul is right it is all amatter oftaste.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1