Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer?

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
2004/10/07 13:48:49 (permalink)

Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer?

I grew up in corn tortilla territory. I don't remember ever experiencing the joys of flour tortillas ' til I ate at LaCumbre in the Mission District of SF, but what a revelation
We even have a fresh corn tortilla factory here in Southern Oregon, but I've been forever seduced by the lure of a good flour tortilla. Any dish seems better with flour tortillas to me.
Do you have a preference? Do you get fresh tortillas, corn or flour, where you live?

115 Replies Related Threads

scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 14:19:25 (permalink)
    I live in South Carolina. I might be able to get freshly made ones, but I have not checked out all the local Mexican/Hispanic grocery stores that are popping up around my town.

I love the corn ones best !!! I like to eat them by themselves. But I love them with most anything in them too.
    downtown
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 14:35:45 (permalink)
    if I'm forced to choose, it's corn. but to me, they are two entirely different creatures and each one has it's own attraction. just depending on the mood you're in.

I live in West Texas. yes, we can get them hot off the press. shoot, even when you buy them in packages, you can still smell the freshness throught the pkg.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 14:42:36 (permalink)
    There's a wonderful roadhouse called Pumps on 12 on, of course, US 12 west of Michigan City, Indiana and east of Beverly Shores. Years ago we were there on a weeknight that turned out to be "Mexican" night. They brought us a bowl of chips, but the chips were half corn tortillas and half flour tortillas. Both were freshly made and freshly fried, but the flour tortilla chips were outstanding.

You can simply cut up flour tortillas and either soak them in oil or oil and butter and then bake on a jelly roll pan, seasoned as you like. The flour tortillas tend to get kinda flaky like what we want out of our pie dough, and they have a wonderful, delicate crispness. Do try them! Yum!
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 15:03:24 (permalink)
    Well, that's like asking whether you prefer beans or rice: both flour and corn tortillas are essential, and they're only rarely interchangeable. I can't imagine making enchiladas with flour tortillas, for example.

I will go so far as to say that I'm more likely to eat a fresh hot flour tortilla straight off the griddle than a corn one, but that may only be because I make flour tortillas more often than I do corn ones. But I also always have to buy extra corn tortillas when I make enchiladas to account for all the ones I'm going to eat in one bite as soon as they come out of the oil while I'm at the stove frying them.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 15:13:30 (permalink)
    Different strokes for different purposes...
    Try eating a 'Tostada' loaded with stuff on a flour Tortilla!
    and crispy Taco's (Hoosier pronunciation is "TAY-KOOs") demand the corn strength!. But it is difficult to stuff the volume of the typical large Burrito into a corn tortilla that needs to be rolled up !!
    Both are good in their respective tasks.
    GB944
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 15:39:34 (permalink)
    Well, they're both great, but the key is freshness.

The best tortillas I ever had were at a restaurant on the side of a highway in Mexico (damned if I could ever find it again) where the mexican women were patting out the tortillas by hand (we don't need no stinkin' tortilla presses!), cooking them on the griddle and bringing them to the table piping hot. Both flour and corn, they were worth living in Mexico for.

The second best were in California (and, yes, I'm going to blaspheme and talk nicely about a chain) at a Chevy's Mexican restaurant. Although they use a press, the freshness makes up for the chaininess and the process.

Of course, you can't make migas (a mixture of scrambled eggs and corn tortilla strips and chilis) with flour, and you can't make a burrito with corn, so, in my perfect world, we eat both, early and often...

gb
    GB944
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 15:41:10 (permalink)
    I love 'em both:

The flour for a good burrito

The corn for good migas...

gb
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 15:50:18 (permalink)
    I'm a corn person. I have easy access to great fresh flour and corn tortillas and am getting pretty fair at making them myself. I enjoy making corn tortillas. Nothing like them right out of the iron pan. Most of the hispanic guys I've worked with in kitchens would choose a corn tortilla over a flour one. They never wasted any of the old ones and would make chilaquiles with them for breakfast. Very tasty. I like flour ones for burritos.
    ericats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 16:53:37 (permalink)
    I prefer corn tortillas for practicle reasons: they last longer, they are low fat/calorie, they're versital, etc. But sometimes a nice thick somewhat greasy flour tortilla hot of the grill really hits the spot!
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1453
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 17:28:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Well, that's like asking whether you prefer beans or rice: both flour and corn tortillas are essential, and they're only rarely interchangeable. I can't imagine making enchiladas with flour tortillas, for example.

I will go so far as to say that I'm more likely to eat a fresh hot flour tortilla straight off the griddle than a corn one, but that may only be because I make flour tortillas more often than I do corn ones. But I also always have to buy extra corn tortillas when I make enchiladas to account for all the ones I'm going to eat in one bite as soon as they come out of the oil while I'm at the stove frying them.

As a general preference, I like corn, but you're right, each style has its own application.

Nothing ticks me off more than some joint selling "soft tacos" using flour tortillas instead of corn...what is it an open face burrito?
    downtown
    Hamburger
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 17:58:52 (permalink)
    now here, that is exactly what a soft taco is -- using a flour tortilla. maybe your defination of a soft taco, cosmos, is my quest for the perfect taco shell. could you clarify this a little more.

oh, and for sausage wraps, it has to be a flour tortilla. with mustard.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 18:16:22 (permalink)
    The west coast seems to be flour territory. If you go to a Food Truck around here and order a taco, you'll get 2 small flour tortillas laid open faced.
    I'm not a traditionalist, though, and have tried substituting flour tortillas in all sorts of dishes., Mexican and otherwise. Flour makes for a tasty tostada, more like a mexican pizza, for instance. (you have to use a fork, mr. mayor)They are too absorbent for tortilla soup, I've found.
    downtown
    Hamburger
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 18:27:40 (permalink)
    oh, and flour tortillas are the only kind ever served with fajitas. that I've seen.
    scarletfire
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 18:30:43 (permalink)
    Ahhh!! Being born and raised in a family that makes both... i have to agree with many of you. they are for different purpose. However - i will rarely, if ever, reach for a soft flour tortilla (unless i watch it come off the griddle). here in MN most soft tacos are flour and all hard shell are corn. there is no other in main stream... Rare is it that one views a soft corn tortilla unless in the Mexican part of Mpls... Matter of fact - whenever i have a taco fest and i cook corn ones - most people don't even know what they are unless they come out of a box with a brand name!! I have educated many on the joys of fresh corn tortillas... i will add though that i can't imagine my grammas 'taquitos' on corn. Her 'taquitos' (to my brother and I) were her fresh made flour tortillas filled with homemade pintos, scrambled eggs and chorizo! YUM! Oh - and i couldn't imagine a corn tortilla slathered with butter but a fresh flour tortilla? YUM and YUM again!!!!
    ericats
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 18:32:30 (permalink)
    I live on the west coast (Los Angeles) and it seems that Southern CA is partial to corn tortillas and the Bay Area is partial to flour tortillas.

By the way, I've never had a soft taco with a flour tortilla; a soft taco is always made with unfried corn tortillas. I know of a dish called "soft tostada" and that is made with a flour tortilla.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 18:42:48 (permalink)
    Hi Ericats, Didn't mean to slight SoCal. That's interesting.
    I've wondered about the term "taco" and how it's applied
    around the country to items that aren't all that similar.
    Growing up in Kansas, it was always beans at the bottom,then meat,the lettuce and tomato, and finally cheese. Ritual. That's why I've been so delighted to find regional variations everywhere that differ from the familiar.
    Welcome, Bill
    downtown
    Hamburger
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 18:52:24 (permalink)
    ohhhhh, UNFRIED corn tortilla -- just warmed. I see now.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7304
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 18:57:46 (permalink)
    I like them both and they are made fresh here and distributed in our local grocery stores (yes, we have grocery stores in Alaska) and Costco. Believe it or not, we have a very large Mexican population here and there is a great demand for all kinds of tortillas.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 19:20:46 (permalink)
    I prefer corn for my tacos, flour for my burros... As for fresh, we have a factory in town (El Matador) that makes them, but normally pick them up at the store... Sadly I cant say I've had Fresh Fresh...
    downtown
    Hamburger
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 19:40:35 (permalink)
    one of the most knee-weakening combo I've ever had on a flour tortilla -- cabrito, black beans, pico de gallo. can't imagine it on corn.
    downtown
    Hamburger
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 19:47:39 (permalink)
    AND --to expand this even further regarding flour tortillas. in my area, you can get different flavored ones. do ya'll have those? chipotle, sundried tomato and basil, cheese and jalepeno. giant size at that.

the "WRAPS". restaurants kinda like Subway. you go down the little line and pick and choose your ingredients --black bean or pinto, chicken or hamburger or steak, cilantro rice with that?, choice of veggies, salsas, and choice of tortilla flavors like breads.
    ericats
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 20:49:18 (permalink)
    If one is going to put beans in a tortilla then flour is the hands down winner (corn tortillas and beans just don't taste as good.) Also, I think that chorizo and eggs tastes better in a flour tortilla.

Soft tacos are really minimilist (sp?); just carne asada or cochinita pibil or other type of meat (cabeza [head] or tongue), salsa, and chopped white onion and cilantro. Divoon! Fish tacos are also served on corn tortillas; fried fish, cabbage, salsa, and a mayonnaise sauce (and chopped onion.)

The soft tostada that I mentioned above was really just a burrito. It had refried beans, lettuce, guacamole, cheese, and chopped tomato. Very good eats.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2320
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 22:19:07 (permalink)
    Depends on what else yer having. If you're sopping up a big bowl of posole, it's gotta be corn. If you want a fat burrito, you need flour, because corn tears too easily. Corn fries better, but flour works better if you're baking, as in enchiladas.
    Charlie1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 23:02:28 (permalink)
    I grew up in Mexico, and every meal started with the cook going down to the tortilleria on the corner and buying a big stack of tortillas. It was a treat to go with her and eat the warm tortillas straight from the stack. We never discussed getting tortillas de maiz because that would have bene redundant, there wasn't any other kind.
    I remained a tortilla snob for years until I had a Central Market flour tortilla. Nice and thin and v tasty. It is the only thing I'll wrap around my grilled sausage and slather with mustard.
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 23:06:25 (permalink)
    Don't think I can agree with flour tortillas being used for enchiladas. It just isn't customary. Not that everything has to be set in stone, but flour tortlllas just aren't used in enchiladas. A whole lot of people will certainly disagree with me, but on this I won't waiver. Unless you send a sample to me so I can make an informed decision.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 23:29:30 (permalink)
    I prefer corn for most uses because I think they're healthier. But for some things--like burritos (as at La Cumbre)--you've pretty much got to use flour. Sure, we get fresh ones--both places I live (SF and Tucson)
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 23:30:46 (permalink)
    Flour tortillas simply taste better to me and I almost always prefer them to corn.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 23:34:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GB944

The second best were in California (and, yes, I'm going to blaspheme and talk nicely about a chain) at a Chevy's Mexican restaurant. Although they use a press, the freshness makes up for the chaininess and the process.
    gb

I'm going to blaspheme for real! Phtewwww!

There's a Chevy's across the street. I never eat there. You want fresh tortilla's? There are tortillerias all over the Mission District.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? 2004/10/07 23:44:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by zataar

Don't think I can agree with flour tortillas being used for enchiladas. It just isn't customary. Not that everything has to be set in stone, but flour tortlllas just aren't used in enchiladas. A whole lot of people will certainly disagree with me, but on this I won't waiver. Unless you send a sample to me so I can make an informed decision.

I think if you make an enchillada with a flour tortilla, you've pretty much got a loosely wrapped "wet" burrito.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1