Cornbread and other cornmeal-based recipes...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: Cornbread and other cornmeal-based recipes... 2004/01/03 19:47:36 (permalink)
Here is a real Southern tradition

Spoon Bread - as the name denotes it stays soft & is served with a spoon

1 1/2 cups corn meal
1 tsp sugar, 1 1/3 tsp salt, 1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup butter (melted), 5 eggs, 2 cups molk, 1 tbsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350. Mix corn meal, salt & sugar together, pour boiling water over the mix & add melted butter, beat eggs, add milk to eggs & combine with first mixture. Add baking powder. Pour into oiled 9X13 baking pan & bake 30-40 minutes. about 10 servings
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Cornbread and other cornmeal-based recipes... 2004/01/05 07:27:45 (permalink)
this recipe is from Patti Labelle's cookbook--"Labelle Cuisine",which I highly reccomend---i think you will really love it---its a great read!!

DownHome HushPuppies

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups corn meal
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground
2 large egg
1 small onion, chopped fine
peanut oil, for deep-frying

1. mix flour,cornmeal,baking powder,salt,pepper,cnd cayenne.Insmall bowl beat milk and eggs.Add to dry ingrediants with onion and stir until just combined

2. heat oil to high--365F--

3. drop carefully,1 tablesoon batter per hush puppy into oil and fry turning once till golden brown--drain on paper towels and serve hot.

i find that the best tips to making them is to get the oil to the right temp and to not make the hushpuppies too large so 1 tablespoon is plenty big eno8ugh, They are wonderfull with catfish---if you can get that there in England--and i just like to eat them for breakfastwith a good cup of coffee! Enjoy!
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Cornbread and other cornmeal-based recipes... 2004/01/05 15:09:51 (permalink)
If you have leftover cornbread, you can make a cornbread salad. Chop some onions, celery, and bell pepper and add to the crumbled cornbread. Add some chopped boiled eggs and pimento and anything else that sounds good. Season with salt and pepper and stir in enough Hellmans mayonnaise to bind.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Cornbread and other cornmeal-based recipes... 2004/01/05 16:20:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

If you have leftover cornbread, you can make a cornbread salad. Chop some onions, celery, and bell pepper and add to the crumbled cornbread. Add some chopped boiled eggs and pimento and anything else that sounds good. Season with salt and pepper and stir in enough Hellmans mayonnaise to bind.

Oh my, Lonestar this sounds really good!!!Bet it would be killer with a handfull of crawdad meat and a splash of tabasco!!
Lone Star
RE: Cornbread and other cornmeal-based recipes... 2004/01/05 16:21:44 (permalink)
That's the beauty of it tiki - anything goes!
Jellybeans
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: Cornbread and other cornmeal-based recipes... 2004/01/05 17:22:43 (permalink)
quote:

Thanks Lone Star!!! I was wondering what to do with the leftover cornbread since I'm usually cooking for one!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Cornbread and other cornmeal-based recipes... 2004/01/05 19:43:54 (permalink)
quote:

Lone Star is the definitive Texas food expert. I lived in this state about 18 years before I heard about Cornbread Salad. Just want to chime in and say that she's right; this stuff is awesome.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13503
RE: Cornbread and other cornmeal-based recipes... 2004/01/05 19:52:15 (permalink)
I have never done what is suggested but it wounds like I could do it with a lot of different ingredients such as BBQ as Emeril as suggested before or with any meat.

I would guess that sausage would be real good.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
Lone Star
RE: Cornbread and other cornmeal-based recipes... 2004/01/06 12:23:12 (permalink)
Thanks Bushie! I forgot to write that I add a chopped tomato to the salad too.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Cornbread and other cornmeal-based recipes... 2004/01/06 13:08:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

this recipe is from Patti Labelle's cookbook--"Labelle Cuisine",which I highly reccomend---i think you will really love it---its a great read!!

DownHome HushPuppies

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups corn meal
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground
2 large egg
1 small onion, chopped fine
peanut oil, for deep-frying

1. mix flour,cornmeal,baking powder,salt,pepper,cnd cayenne.Insmall bowl beat milk and eggs.Add to dry ingrediants with onion and stir until just combined

2. heat oil to high--365F--

3. drop carefully,1 tablesoon batter per hush puppy into oil and fry turning once till golden brown--drain on paper towels and serve hot.

i find that the best tips to making them is to get the oil to the right temp and to not make the hushpuppies too large so 1 tablespoon is plenty big eno8ugh, They are wonderfull with catfish---if you can get that there in England--and i just like to eat them for breakfastwith a good cup of coffee! Enjoy!

IF ONLY seafood restaurants outside the South would pick up on this and offer hushpuppies instead of the clammy breads they serve with fried seafood. I'm convinced that a restaurant in the upper mid west would be an overnight sensation if they brought out a big bowl of huspuppies with their seafood orders (and as an appetizers) the way they do in the Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi. They also work great with BBQ!

I really miss my hushpuppies as I travel around. They sure would make a nice addition to the walleye or perch at a Milwaukee Friday night fish fry.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Cornbread and other cornmeal-based recipes... 2004/01/06 13:51:17 (permalink)
So true Hillbilly,---was just up in my old New England home and hush puppies would have been great with the Fried Fishermans platter!!!
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: Cornbread and other cornmeal-based recipes... 2004/01/06 17:17:36 (permalink)
When I was down in Southport NC back in October, the one place had these little tubs of Sheds Spread that had honey mixed into it. The tubs were just big enough to dip the warm hushpuppies into. There were big bowls of both put on the table. Oh I could go for some right now!!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1