Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
2007/03/25 15:10:26 (permalink)

Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no?

In the "Blasphemy , I know" thread http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1459&whichpage=1
Adjudicator posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Now, to a TRUE southerner, there is NOTHING more sacred than white acre peas and white cornbread with no sweetner (aka sugar) involved in the process. BACON FAT RULES!!!!

A TRUE Southerner? There were four (4) of Mom's family from Delta County, Texas, riding with the Texas Confederate Cavalry in the war for Southern Independence. The Dad was originally from Kentucky. One of the sons was killed. Mom's family, including her, have raised and picked more cotton than most folks in the south ever looked at.
Mom used a spoon of sugar in her cornbread. She added sugar to a pot of pintos, field peas, or black eyes, and she always added it to our iced tea while it was still hot. I did the same until my fifties, when I finally learned to drink unsweetened tea. My only explanation is we expended so much energy on labor we needed the extra sugar.
Two questions to our posters:
1. Do you or have you used sugar in these foods?
2. Do you consider yourself a TRUE Southerner?

60 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/25 18:14:23 (permalink)
    The war for Southern Independence ((!!!!)) For those about to ROCK, we SALUTE YOU!
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/25 18:54:21 (permalink)
    Born and raised in eastern North Carolina..... and to answer your question:

Cornbread: no sugar
    Beans: a dash helps
    Tea: Hell yeah, there beter be REAL sugar.

Just my 2 cents

Dennis in Cary
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2068
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/25 19:05:26 (permalink)
    Hell Yea, Y'all....Sounds like fighten words have been raised. Think I'll set this thread out.

Sugar.. Smackulated only.
    Tea, haft & haft
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/25 19:39:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

The war for Southern Independence ((!!!!)) For those about to ROCK, we SALUTE YOU!

Thank you, thank you. Another acceptable term for that war, of course, is the war against Northern Aggression, and as you know, the Southern States had every legal right to secede if they wished.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/25 19:45:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DLnWPBrown

Born and raised in eastern North Carolina..... and to answer your question:

Cornbread: no sugar
    Beans: a dash helps
    Tea: Hell yeah, there beter be REAL sugar.

Just my 2 cents

Dennis in Cary

I agree a dash of sugar in the beans prevents any slight bitterness they may have. I have always prefered them that way, anyhow! Yeppers, sweet tea had to have sugar added while hot. There is an actual chemical reaction that occurs that makes it taste sweeter.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/25 19:52:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by edwmax

Hell Yea, Y'all....Sounds like fighten words have been raised. Think I'll set this thread out.

Sugar.. Smackulated only.
    Tea, haft & haft

Not fighting, but some food discussion. I've always prefered yellow cornbread, too! There, I've said it, and I am proud as a Southerner to eat my sweetened, yellow cornbread in my sweetened pinto beans!
    edwmax
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/25 20:10:18 (permalink)
    Dick

You like Suger use it. Just make sure it good Southern Cane Suger and not that beet suger stuff.

Along time ago, I eat at a diner in Mobile Al. The "Tiny Dinnie on US90" They had a real good sweet cornbread muffin. I don't know if they just added sugar or maybe used some cake mix in the cornmeal. I tried making some cornbread nuffins a few weeks ago useing a little cake mix, they were a little too sweet.

dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/25 20:48:46 (permalink)
    quote:

Dick

You like Suger use it. Just make sure it good Southern Cane Suger and not that beet suger stuff.

Along time ago, I eat at a diner in Mobile Al. The "Tiny Dinnie on US90" They had a real good sweet cornbread muffin. I don't know if they just added sugar or maybe used some cake mix in the cornmeal. I tried making some cornbread nuffins a few weeks ago useing a little cake mix, they were a little too sweet.
    I don't use a lot of sugar in my cornbread, but I like at least one table spoon to a batch. I am liberal with my usage of eggs, too. I can see where adding cake mix could make it too sweet.
    edwmax
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/25 21:16:00 (permalink)
    Most or some recipes use some flour. I just used hafted the amout of flour and made up the difference with plane cake mix and buttermilk for the liquid. It was just little on the sweet side for my taste but I thought it was good.. I'll just gut the amout of cake mix next time.
    My Dad liked it, my mom thought it was sweet and my wife didn't.

Max
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/25 21:47:49 (permalink)
    I don't like sugar in my cornbread but make it that way sometimes because my dh's family liked it that way. I'd rather eat white bread if cornbread has sugar in it. My folks are from Tennessee, Virginia, the Carolinas and Alabama. Dh's folks are from the Carolinas and Georgia. I don't like cake textured cornbread either and I really only use flour to hold the blessed thing together lol

I only add sugar to butterbeans, right before I serve them. The rest of my beans are flavored with salt and meat. I have a low tolerance of sweets in my food.

My tea isn't as sweet as most either. Too much makes my stomach hurt. Not to mention they are empty calories I don't need.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/25 22:38:04 (permalink)
    quote:

Most or some recipes use some flour. I just used hafted the amout of flour and made up the difference with plane cake mix and buttermilk for the liquid. It was just little on the sweet side for my taste but I thought it was good.. I'll just gut the amout of cake mix next time.
    My Dad liked it, my mom thought it was sweet and my wife didn't.

Max
    I hear you, Pard. I always use the recipe on the yellow cornmeal bag, except when I'm experimenting, but I do add the sugar. I once cooked a batch of cornbread every day for a week or so, experimenting with adding greens, sausage, corn, etcetera. My dogs loved me extra that week. They got the leftovers.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/25 22:46:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BhamBabe

I don't like sugar in my cornbread but make it that way sometimes because my dh's family liked it that way. I'd rather eat white bread if cornbread has sugar in it. My folks are from Tennessee, Virginia, the Carolinas and Alabama. Dh's folks are from the Carolinas and Georgia. I don't like cake textured cornbread either and I really only use flour to hold the blessed thing together lol

I only add sugar to butterbeans, right before I serve them. The rest of my beans are flavored with salt and meat. I have a low tolerance of sweets in my food.

My tea isn't as sweet as most either. Too much makes my stomach hurt. Not to mention they are empty calories I don't need.

So that's votes each way from the "Old South". Thanks, BhamBabe. I'm sure I'd love your cooking, whichever way you went that day. Oh, I do love a good mess of them butterbeans, too.
    Jim in NC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/25 23:02:56 (permalink)
    Dennis in Cary got ot right. Sugar in cornbread-Never!

No flour either. Just cornmeal (self rising), egg, buttermilk and bacon drippins'.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/25 23:16:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jim in NC

Dennis in Cary got ot right. Sugar in cornbread-Never!

No flour either. Just cornmeal (self rising), egg, buttermilk and bacon drippins'.

A cornmeal purist, huh? Okay, is that white or yellow cornmeal? The white always seemed anemic somehow to me.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5408
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/25 23:42:14 (permalink)
    A bit of sugar in my cornbread, yellow cornmeal please.

No sugar in my tea, I'll add the new Splenda to my own taste. Don't like it real sweet.

No sugar in beans, have never tried it that way.

As to being Southern all my kin came out of the south, Arkansas & Texas. They just happened to be living in Calif at the time.

MikeS.
    pamelakrest
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 362
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/25 23:58:19 (permalink)
    Hmmmm...do I consider myself a southerner??? That is a question I've always wondered about...My parents are from Whitesburg,Kentucky area...they always said they were briars...sooooo I guess I am a briar...but Kentucky is south of Ohio(where I live now)...soooo I might be Southerner too....hahahaha
    My personal favorite is no-sugar cornbread with food...my family...they like the sweet...(what do they know hahahaha)
    I've not tried sugar in beans, but do like my tea sweet.
    Pam
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/26 00:20:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeS.

A bit of sugar in my cornbread, yellow cornmeal please.
    No sugar in my tea, I'll add the new Splenda to my own taste. Don't like it real sweet.
    No sugar in beans, have never tried it that way.
    As to being Southern all my kin came out of the south, Arkansas & Texas. They just happened to be living in Calif at the time.
    MikeS.

Yep, white cornbread just don't seem right to me.
    Your Dad's folks in Texas could not have lived far from Mom's Simpson clan in Delta County, Texas. They had come from Kentucky and Tennessee by way of Arkansas and the Indian Territory. Our mutual kin's ancestor in Arkansas who was an early settler there was born in the Carolinas. There are thousands of our kin in the South East then others here in Texas who came here from the Arkansas branch of the family.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/26 00:35:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pamelakrest

Hmmmm...do I consider myself a southerner??? That is a question I've always wondered about...My parents are from Whitesburg,Kentucky area...they always said they were briars...sooooo I guess I am a briar...but Kentucky is south of Ohio(where I live now)...soooo I might be Southerner too....hahahaha
    My personal favorite is no-sugar cornbread with food...my family...they like the sweet...(what do they know hahahaha)
    I've not tried sugar in beans, but do like my tea sweet.
    Pam

We'll put you down for another mixed vote on cornbread. Kentucky was a Confederate state, for sure. Southern is a state of mind. If you feel southern you probably qualify.
    Jim in NC
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/26 09:29:11 (permalink)
    White or yellow cornmeal as long as it's high quality stone ground. If I'm adding something like jalapenos, white is fine. Yellow is more visually appealing and has a very slightly more pronounced corn flavor.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/26 09:48:59 (permalink)
    Here's how it worked out in my family:

The Grandmother from Southern Alabama (100% Choctaw, so there's a couple of generations of South there too) used little to no sugar and added bacon grease.

My Grandmother from Madison, Jojuh added enough sugar to call it sweetened, but not cake sweet. They've both been gone some 10 years now, but I still won't speak or scribe which recipe I favored. They'd git me.

From the south of California, aka Northern Mexico, I now bow out Ort style.
    BunglingBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/26 09:50:11 (permalink)
    Born and raised in Texas, but have lived in a lot of other places both north and south. Still cling to a lot of the Southern traditions when it comes to eating (and drinking).

Cornbread - no sugar, and yellow cornmeal ONLY.
    Beans - no sugar except in baked beans ... then I use brown sugar.
    Tea - Have to have iced tea with almost every dinner. But NO sugar, just a tad of Sweet 'n Low.

C Turner Joy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/26 09:55:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dickestep

Kentucky was a Confederate state, for sure.

Kentucky was not a Confederate state.
    iqdiva
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/26 10:35:19 (permalink)
    As an 11th generation Alabamian ,I must say :
    1.Cornbread with no sugar and definitely bacon grease,I prefer hoecakes.
    2.White Acre peas and greens of all kinds with bacon grease.And,I use a trick from Reconstruction days when folks didn't have white sugar,a dash of home made sugar cane syrup (not sorghum or molasses)in vegetables.
    3.Tea with sugar,always !
    southern_belle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/26 10:45:06 (permalink)
    Born and raised in TN. Yellow cornmeal and NO sugar in my mama's recipe for cornbread, plenty of sugar in that sweet tea, and no sugar in my beans. Only some kind of pork, and bacon grease in the cornbread. "American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God"
    Jim in NC
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/26 10:46:41 (permalink)
    While not a Confederate state, culturally Kentucky is a Southern state.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/26 10:47:54 (permalink)
    Forgot the other questions:

1. A little sugar in beans and black eyes. Sweet tea sugared when hot. I've been drinking that with lots of fresh lemon ever since I can remember

2. No, I consider myself a true, native born, beach culture Southern Californian, albeit one who was raised within walking distance of two true Southern Grandmothers. Plus I was raised by two Southern Californians who were in turn raised by Southern mothers. In fact, my Mom was born in Alabama, but came out here an an infant. Something had to have worn off onto me, and I do think some things did. For instance, when I started kindergarten I was the only kid in class saying "yes mamm" and "no mamm" to the teacher. And I do mean the only one.
    And I eat rice instead of potatoes. I could go on.......
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/26 11:26:21 (permalink)
    Southern New Yorker.

Cornbread with sugar and maybe even vanilla.
    Beans latin style, no sugar.

I drink many different types of tea, but if you mean Lipton orange pekoe, I'll take it sweet with or without milk, does'nt matter.
    Iced tea sweet.
    With lemon only if I'm not feeling well.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/26 11:33:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jim in NC

White or yellow cornmeal as long as it's high quality stone ground. If I'm adding something like jalapenos, white is fine. Yellow is more visually appealing and has a very slightly more pronounced corn flavor.

Yeppers, I like the yellow color better, too. It does look much prettier with colored peppers in Mexican style, too.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cornbread, beans, and tea. Sugar or no? 2007/03/26 11:44:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

Here's how it worked out in my family:
    The Grandmother from Southern Alabama (100% Choctaw, so there's a couple of generations of South there too) used little to no sugar and added bacon grease.
    My Grandmother from Madison, Jojuh added enough sugar to call it sweetened, but not cake sweet. They've both been gone some 10 years now, but I still won't speak or scribe which recipe I favored. They'd git me.
    From the south of California, aka Northern Mexico, I now bow out Ort style.

Yep, the Mother of three of those Simpson Texas Cavalry troops was half Cherokee from Tennesee. That got my ancestor John Boyd (Bullet) Simpson kicked off a wagon train going west for marrying her.
    Oh, your Granny's from Georgia (Like Adjudicator), but... but... She used sugar? Well, I'll swanny!
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1