The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Corndogs!

Hepcat

• Total Posts: 374
Corndogs! Mon, 10/4/04 5:27 PM (permalink)
Corndogs! Mmmmmmm, mmmmmmm! One of my favourite delicacies! But can really good corndogs be found anywhere but at a fair or carnival?

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
    RE: Corndogs! Mon, 10/4/04 8:48 PM (permalink)
    The answer to your corn dog question is in Springfield, Illinois at the Cozy Dog Drive-In. www.cozydogdrivein.com

Hepcat

RE: Corndogs! Mon, 10/4/04 10:03 PM (permalink)
      A good start to be sure! We need broader coverage of the continent though.

Shane

• Total Posts: 51
        RE: Corndogs! Mon, 10/4/04 11:06 PM (permalink)
        Cozy Drive In - say no more...

Sundancer7

RE: Corndogs! Tue, 10/5/04 6:06 AM (permalink)
          At all of the NHRA events, hot fresh corn dogs are available. I watch them and when they pull them out of the oil, I ask for that particular one. I cover it with mustard and ketchup and enjoy while it is hot.

Watch the Sundacer live in Las Vegas on 10/29 at the NHRA races on ESPN

That is the only way I like the corn dogs is hot and fresh.
          Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

alesrus

• Total Posts: 292
            RE: Corndogs! Tue, 10/5/04 12:05 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Sundancer7

At all of the NHRA events, hot fresh corn dogs are available. I watch them and when they pull them out of the oil, I ask for that particular one. I cover it with mustard and ketchup and enjoy while it is hot.

Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN

Which car is yours Sundancer? Good luck.
            Also

I love the idea of a corndog but I have never had a fresh one. I will have to keep my eye open next time I am at the county fair.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
              RE: Corndogs! Tue, 10/5/04 1:18 PM (permalink)
              I remember years ago at Myrtle Beach at the Pavilion Area, a man used to run a corn dog stand and cooked them fresh . He had a dip mixture.
              I think it was mustard and ketchup mixed and maybe something else.
              Those were so good with that dipping sauce. Now everything looks like the frozen stuff. They also used to have big ears of corn on a stick like the corn dog that they would dip in melted butter and you could sit on the benches there and have your corn dog and/or corn on the cob and look out at the ocean.

syrup

• Total Posts: 164
                RE: Corndogs! Tue, 10/5/04 1:56 PM (permalink)
                I remember a camping trip to Michigan's Pictured Rocks, back in 1980 when somebody made a Campfire Corn Dog. Basically it was a hot dog covered in Bisquick fried over an open fire.
                It was really good and I've never tasted a Corn Dog quite likw it.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Corndogs! Tue, 10/5/04 2:33 PM (permalink)
                  quote:

Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN

Race fans who go to The Mobil 1 Twelve Hours at Sebring, Florida in March get the best corn dogs.

I attend every year and am around during the week before. We all count the minutes until the corn dog guy fires things up.

I'm always interested in good food in and around race tracks -- I go to 20-some-odd races a year. Maybe this would be a viable topic.

festivalfood

• Total Posts: 168
                    RE: Corndogs! Tue, 10/5/04 7:55 PM (permalink)
                    I have never been to CozyDog but they look good.I have never had a corndog made with a good quality dog,sure the batter was great but the hot dog inside was always a cheap nasty tasting thing.Now a corndog with a good quality snappy dog inside would be pure heaven!
                    Anyone ever have a baked corndog?Sure the fried variety is more flavorful with all that grease dripping down your chin.About two years ago I bought a commercial corndog maker off of Ebay,it is a kind used in Japan,it is about 12" wide and 36"long and about 12"high.It is all stainless and and it has 24 teflon coated wells that you put the dogs and batter in and it bakes the corn dogs,the whole thing is gas fired and used commercially in Japan,I never seen one before,and have never seen one since,it was brand new complete with supplies,the seller inherited it from his Japanese father inlaw who brought it from Japan but never used it,I think I paid$325 for it .I still have not used it yet,I am a nut for buying equipment,I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen one before.I have seen the kind that bakes corndogs like a waffle baker,but never one like this before.

festivalfood

RE: Corndogs! Tue, 10/5/04 7:58 PM (permalink)
                      I do have to admit Hepcat your pictures of those awesome looking corndogs are making me drool!!

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
                        RE: Corndogs! Tue, 10/5/04 11:26 PM (permalink)
                        I've always enjoyed corn dogs at the Wisconsin State Fair much better than anywhere else. The enjoyment comes from the wonderful scent of the food being prepared, the experience of watching the food being prepared, and just being there right in the middle of this once a year experience. It's one of those few times that cost, calories, conscience, and cholesterol are not any part of my vocabulary. A
                        "Food Conscience" is not allowed at these type of events, unless, of course, you're a glutton for punishment.

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
                          RE: Corndogs! Wed, 10/6/04 4:39 PM (permalink)
                          Our fellow poster Red Patti recommended the corn dogs at Disneyland to us when we were there last August, and they were delicious. You get them at this food truck that never goes anywhere. Sorry, I can't remember just where it was. Patti?

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Corndogs! Fri, 10/8/04 12:08 AM (permalink)
                            Festivalfood, dont look at the following link! Others can try to make their own: http://www.prontopup.net/

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
                              RE: Corndogs! Fri, 10/8/04 10:13 AM (permalink)
                              Where is the recipe for the corn dog?I could not find it.Anyone know of a good one ?

Tony Bad

RE: Corndogs! Fri, 10/8/04 10:26 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Hepcat

Corndogs! Mmmmmmm, mmmmmmm! One of my favourite delicacies! But can really good corndogs be found anywhere but at a fair or carnival?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Mmmmmmmmmm indeed. I had a good one at the Union Fair (Maine) this summer, and a not so good one at a local fair here in NY.

Dune Dog in Jupiter Florida has great dogs, and great corn dogs, as well as a darn fine fish sandwich. Hope they made it through the recent hurricanes okay...it wasn't what I'd call a real substantial building!

festivalfood

RE: Corndogs! Fri, 10/8/04 8:46 PM (permalink)
                                  Hey Unclevic,Thanks for the link!I have scaled back on buying equipment.I have enough for two lifetimes now,2 tractor trailers full as I type this.I dabble a little selling on ebay,but do alot more buying than selling!

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Corndogs! Mon, 10/11/04 10:04 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by festivalfood

Hey Unclevic,Thanks for the link!I have scaled back on buying equipment.I have enough for two lifetimes now,2 tractor trailers full as I type this.I dabble a little selling on ebay,but do alot more buying than selling!

No problem... But then when would ones collection be complete without a custom corn dog cooker??

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: Corndogs! Mon, 10/11/04 10:07 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by jellybear

Where is the recipe for the corn dog?I could not find it.Anyone know of a good one ?

Here's one... I can email or post more if ya need... But this one pretty well covers it...

Corn Dogs

1 cup corn meal
                                      1 cup all-purpose flour
                                      2 tablespoons sugar
                                      2 teaspoons baking powder
                                      1/2 teaspoon salt
                                      1 egg, slightly beaten
                                      1 cup milk
                                      2 tablespoons melted shortening
                                      1 pound frankfurters
                                      Wooden skewers
                                      1. Mix corn meal with flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add egg and milk; blend in melted shortening. Mix well.
                                      2. Skewer frankfurters and dip in batter. Stand skewer-side up and fry in deep-fat fryer at 350*F (175*C) until golden brown, about 2 or 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
                                      Makes 8 servings.

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: Corndogs! Mon, 10/11/04 8:31 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by chicagostyledog

The answer to your corn dog question is in Springfield, Illinois at the Cozy Dog Drive-In. www.cozydogdrivein.com
                                        I'm from Springfield and the Cozy Dog Drive in has been one of my favorites for over 30 years. By the way they will sell you the dry mix to make Cozy Dogs just call them. The owner is a very close friend and I eat there once or twice a month.
                                        Dr of BBQ

Redskin204

• Total Posts: 48
                                          RE: Corndogs! Sat, 10/23/04 2:52 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:

Paul E. Smith
                                          Knoxville, TN

I am a diehard lifelong drag racing fan (fanatic is more like it), and I try to make the Dallas/Ennis race every year. I also managed to attend Houston/Baytown in 2002 but that was the last time I made it down there because it's just so far from my home.

You are right on the money about the corndogs at the NHRA tracks. Seriously good eating. I also like their turkey legs, even though they're a bit too much for me to finish on my own.

Best wishes for Vegas.

Redskin204

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                            RE: Corndogs! Mon, 05/26/08 9:10 AM (permalink)
                                            Heck yes you can find good corn dogs outside a fair or carnival --- the State Fair brand in the freezer at the grocery is great --- we bought a box last week and have been enjoying them. The only thing missing is the atmosphere of the carnival/fair but that's ok --- they taste great!

Andrea

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                                              RE: Corndogs! Tue, 05/27/08 12:50 PM (permalink)
                                              There is a huge difference in corn dogs and Pronto Pups. Given my druthers, it will be a Pronto Pup every time. The batter is better and the outside is crunchier. Mustard only, please.

guspas

• Total Posts: 197
                                                RE: Corndogs! Tue, 06/3/08 12:11 AM (permalink)
                                                there is a big difference between freshly made corn dogs and what u find in the freezer

Hepcat

RE: Corndogs! Wed, 05/11/11 3:10 PM (permalink)
                                                  I still haven't found any corn dogs better than those served on the midway of the Canadian National Exposition in Toronto the three weeks prior to Labour Day.

Several years ago I stumbled upon Caruso's Corn Dog stand in Port Stanley just south of London, Ontario though. But it was closed for the season - and never reopened.

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
                                                    RE: Corndogs! Sat, 05/14/11 8:41 AM (permalink)
                                                    The very best corndogs have to come from state & county fairs, or local festivals.  I want to see them dip the hotdog in the cormeal battery & make sure they fry my corndog crisp.  Lots of mustard.
                                                    I will order corndogs locals from local drive-ins for example because I love them,but getting a freshly made one is the best.

Vince Macek

• Total Posts: 855
                                                      Re:Corndogs! Sat, 05/14/11 9:58 AM (permalink)
                                                      I give you Jim Stacy, the hardest working man in Atlanta:
                                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f2wIAVDFEA
                                                      You can tell you're at a class street festival when you see the Pallookaville trailer.

Sundancer7

RE: Corndogs! Sat, 05/14/11 11:00 AM (permalink)
                                                        guspas

there is a big difference between freshly made corn dogs and what u find in the freezer

I totally agree however I have bought State Fair several times and I find that the slightly sweet batter and the dog is not bad.  Under no circumstance are they as good as a fresh fried corn dog but in the evening when the need approaches, they work.

Paul E. Smith
                                                        Knoxville, TN 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com