Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches

Author
bbqjimbob
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
2006/09/01 02:37:46 (permalink)

Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches

My stepdaughter bought a "corned beef" brisket that is packed in liquid, with a packet of spices- about 2-3 pounds, net weight. She is bringing it over this evening (Friday) for me to cook on Saturday for dinner for all of us. She wants to make reuben sandwiches with it. What is the best way to prepare the brisket? Obviously, it's wouldn't be the same as beef brisket, cooked low and slow for 14+ hours, or would it? I'm thinking of grilling it on my CharGriller, using indirect heat. I'd put the charcoal grate on it's lowest setting, put the lump to one far side, and the corned beef brisket to the other far side, adding wood chips occasionaly. I figure it'd take about 4-6 hours this way. What do you think? Would this method work? What, if any, changes would you recommend to the method I'm considering? I really don't want to cook it inside, in a slow cooker. However, if that is the best way, I'll cook it that way. Please give me your opinions and recommendations for cooking a "corned beef" brisket that will be used to make reuben sandwiches.

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

24 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8389
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/01 06:57:20 (permalink)
    The only way I have ever cooked one of the corned beef brisket you mentioned was to cover it in water(in either a crock pot or a pot on the stove)add the spice packet, and simmer away til tender.My thoughts on this is if you are just going to make sandwiches out of the meat, I wouldnt go through all the trouble of preparing the grill....if you use the crockpot-give it a good 8 hours on high.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/01 13:06:17 (permalink)
    Corned beef brisket can be smoked just like any other brisket. It just cooks much faster because it contains all the extra liquid from the corning. It's very good smoked. I don't think grilling it on a CharGriller, would work unless you’re going to use some very low temps and as you said indirect heat. I just re-read your post only 2 or 3 pounds; yes 4 to 6 hours should be plenty. Just watch your temp, but more importantly test it for tenderness you’ll want to slice it and if you cook it just past good and sliceable you’ll get fall apart meat that can not be sliced and the next step is very dry meat. But do use some wood chips the smoky taste adds a lot of depth to a Corned beef brisket.
    Jack@DrofBBQ.com
    Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/01 13:14:51 (permalink)
    Traditional New England method is to simmer on the stovetop, approximately 1 hour per pound. For sandwiches you may want to press the meat (maybe overnight), refrigerated, with a plate on top and something to weigh it down. Pressing squeezes out some of the water and permits thinner slicing.

Depends on your supplier, but the commercially prepared corned beef we get in this area tends be be on the salty side for dry cooking.
    Ashphalt
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/01 17:34:27 (permalink)
    BTW - on reheating corned beef, remember that you want to save the moistness. Dry ends are not usually desirable. Sometimes I take a tip from the old fashioned delis of my youth which would prepare a lunchtime's supply of "hot" corned beef by slicing it and placing it in the steam cabinet. Steam slices over barely simmering water until hot. If you want to nuke 'em or use the traditional oven, sprinkle some water over the slices before covering to make a little steam.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13509
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/01 17:50:33 (permalink)
    I recently bought the corned beef from Walmart. It was in a plastic container with the spices. I put it in the over at a low temp (225F) and let it rip for 5-6 hours. It was super tender and tasty. It is my opinion that low temp is the way to go for it being moist and tender.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4042
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/01 20:44:34 (permalink)
    Ruebens are usually made with the boiled corned beef. Smoking is good and with some extra pepper and spices actually turns the corned beef into a pastrami.
    bbqjimbob
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/01 23:46:49 (permalink)
    Thanks, everyone, for your informative responses! I didn't know about the pastrami, but I definitely want to try it! However, my back has been giving me fits tonight, so I am just going to have my step-daughter cook it at home tomorrow in her slow cooker. I'm anxious to try making it as pastrami, and when I do, I will check back here for instruction!

Thanks again!
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5422
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/02 00:56:20 (permalink)
    DO NOT cook on the grill unless you soak it in a couple changes of fresh water and even then I'd be leary. I made the mistake of taking one of these right out of the package and slow cooked it on the BBQ. It was SO salty as to be inedible, ordered a pizza for dinner.

Simmer it in a large pot of water, 8qts or more. When fairly tender add a head of cabbage quartered, some new potatoes and any other root veggies you like.

MikeS.
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/02 08:52:20 (permalink)
    Corned beef, which has been soaking in brine vs. brisket cut beef cooked on the grill would produce a dried out leathery piece of meat.
    Corned beef needs to be in simmering water, covered, at that weight for at least 3-4 hours. All brisket cuts need time, thats for sure.
    I have put my corned beef in a large pan covered with water in the oven for 4-6 hours but it comes out saltier and a bit tougher than in simmering water on top of the stove.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/02 10:06:11 (permalink)
    I've cooked corned beef in my smoker a number of times and it has always turned out great. It is essential though to soak it for a couple of days with 4 or 5 changes of water. It's not pastrami, but it's better (imo) than plain corned beef and it makes fantastic Reubens. pb
    smokinokie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/02 11:09:45 (permalink)
    pb, how is it not Pastrami? Pastrami is a corned brisket that's been smoked. Maybe it's splitting hairs, but grilled corned beef wouldn't be Pastrami,so maybe that's what you meant. Just throw some wood chips in and you'll have Pastrami.

Take a corned beef, do like PB said and soak it to get the salt out, that's the key, the slow smoke it, long enough for the smoke to do it's thing, but not long enough to dry/toughen it up.

Here's an exerpt from bbq.about.com:
    http://bbq.about.com/cs/barbecuetips/a/aa022302a.htm

quote:
    The basic method for making pastrami from scratch is to start with a mostly trimmed beef brisket. If you buy a trimmed brisket at the store or butcher it will have no layer of fat on it. For the best results, it is best to have a very thin layer of fat on your brisket to make pastrami, about 1/4 inch. This means separating the flat and the point. For those of you who don't have a lot of experience with brisket, a whole brisket is actually two pieces of meat separated by a thick layer of fat that are referred to as the flat and the point. From this point you need to corn the beef. This is done in several different ways. The easiest and safest in my opinion is to use a brine. The salt-water brine preserves the meat and gives it the texture that we would call corned beef. The basic brine consists of water, enough salt to float an egg and seasonings like black pepper, coriander, juniper berries, garlic, etc. People who make their own pastrami usually end up with a recipe unique to them. The beef brisket should remain in the brine stored in a cold, dark place for anywhere from seven days to three weeks. You do need to regularly check on the meat and turn it to prevent spoilage.

Once you have corned beef you need to rinse the meat off. If you have brined it for a long period of time, like three weeks you might want to soak it overnight in fresh water to lift some of the salt out. Now, apply a rub and place it in a smoker. The old fashioned way of preparing pastrami is to cold smoke it. This will give it a more pastrami like texture, but not that many people have the smokehouse to do this. A modern, "hot" smoker will do the trick. Smoke your brisket for about 45 minutes to an hour per pound. Keep this part in mind when selecting a brisket. A ten-pound brisket can take 10 hours to smoke. Once the meat has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees it is done. You do not need to smoke pastrami as long as you would a regular brisket. The long brining time will make the meat tender.

Smokin'

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/02 11:19:16 (permalink)
    We are talking about sandwich meat, folks, not fancy smoked brisket.If the outcome is to be reubans, of the very simple kind, simmer, simmer, simmer!!!!!!!!!If you want pastrami, or anything else, go for the q!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18489
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/02 11:41:55 (permalink)
    Damn all this talk about corned beef. I just got back from the store with a corned beef brisket and a head of cabbage. Tomorrow night: corned beef and cabbage for dinner. Monday: corned beef hash.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/02 11:44:20 (permalink)
    me too Michael-my friend gave me a fresh head of cabbage from her garden, and i am heading to the store for a corned beef-one big pot and we have dinner!!!
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/02 13:08:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by smokinokie

pb, how is it not Pastrami? Pastrami is a corned brisket that's been smoked. Maybe it's splitting hairs, but grilled corned beef wouldn't be Pastrami,so maybe that's what you meant. Just throw some wood chips in and you'll have Pastrami.

Take a corned beef, do like PB said and soak it to get the salt out, that's the key, the slow smoke it, long enough for the smoke to do it's thing, but not long enough to dry/toughen it up.

Here's an exerpt from bbq.about.com:
    http://bbq.about.com/cs/barbecuetips/a/aa022302a.htm

quote:
    The basic method for making pastrami from scratch is to start with a mostly trimmed beef brisket. If you buy a trimmed brisket at the store or butcher it will have no layer of fat on it. For the best results, it is best to have a very thin layer of fat on your brisket to make pastrami, about 1/4 inch. This means separating the flat and the point. For those of you who don't have a lot of experience with brisket, a whole brisket is actually two pieces of meat separated by a thick layer of fat that are referred to as the flat and the point. From this point you need to corn the beef. This is done in several different ways. The easiest and safest in my opinion is to use a brine. The salt-water brine preserves the meat and gives it the texture that we would call corned beef. The basic brine consists of water, enough salt to float an egg and seasonings like black pepper, coriander, juniper berries, garlic, etc. People who make their own pastrami usually end up with a recipe unique to them. The beef brisket should remain in the brine stored in a cold, dark place for anywhere from seven days to three weeks. You do need to regularly check on the meat and turn it to prevent spoilage.

Once you have corned beef you need to rinse the meat off. If you have brined it for a long period of time, like three weeks you might want to soak it overnight in fresh water to lift some of the salt out. Now, apply a rub and place it in a smoker. The old fashioned way of preparing pastrami is to cold smoke it. This will give it a more pastrami like texture, but not that many people have the smokehouse to do this. A modern, "hot" smoker will do the trick. Smoke your brisket for about 45 minutes to an hour per pound. Keep this part in mind when selecting a brisket. A ten-pound brisket can take 10 hours to smoke. Once the meat has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees it is done. You do not need to smoke pastrami as long as you would a regular brisket. The long brining time will make the meat tender.

Smokin'

I was under the impression that pastrami has more spices (black peppercorns, coriander) than corned beef but, if it's nothing more than smoked cb, then I guess I've been making pastrami. pb
    Ashphalt
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/02 17:55:22 (permalink)
    I think we're all on the right track. I've always heard that pastrami is not as fully-brined as corned beef, and then packed in a spice mixture (think rub) before being lightly smoked. Good pastrami always has that thin layer of spice on the outside.

I like the suggestions that you soak a corned beef before smoking. I was going to suggest earlier that a corned beef has some similarities to a full-salt country ham and eating a thick wad of it straight from the smoker might be a little rough. Like ham, also, modern processing (and chemicals) have created lower-salt commercial products than we had 30-40 years ago.

As an aside, here in the Boston area we can sometimes get "gray" or "barrel gray" corned beef. Typically only around St. Paddy's Day. It's a no-nitrate product and so cooks up to a gray shade. Shelf-life isn't really much more than fresh meat. But it's a real treat, more like an internally-seasoned pot roast than what we're used to as corned beef.

Anyway, it's cold and gray here, remnants of Ernesto. You've all got me thinking of corned beef.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/03 01:05:22 (permalink)
    bbqjimbob, so how was it? How did she cook it?

MikeS.
    bbqjimbob
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/03 04:07:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeS.

MikeS.

Unfortunately, she forgot to put the corned beef brisket in the slow cooker before going out of town for most of the day, so we ended up ordering pizza instead. I guess we're going to her place on Monday for the reubens. Thanks for asking, anyways!
    fhoran
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/03 22:16:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bbqjimbob

quote:
    Originally posted by MikeS.

MikeS.

Unfortunately, she forgot to put the corned beef brisket in the slow cooker before going out of town for most of the day, so we ended up ordering pizza instead. I guess we're going to her place on Monday for the reubens. Thanks for asking, anyways!

I hate it when that happens. Fred
    bbqjimbob
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/03 23:39:29 (permalink)

I hate it when that happens. Fred

Things like that happen alot with her. We tease her, that she'd leave her butt in the toilet, if it wasn't attached (Her butt, not the toilet!) She left our place once, put her purse on top of her car- with $500 cash in it- and drove off! Her purse landed in a nearby field, the cash came out, and scattered everywhere! Thank God, the car behind her saw her leave our place, saw the purse land in the field, stopped and gathered it all up, and brought it back to our house, all $500 still there!
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/04 02:45:58 (permalink)
    IMO the slow cooker isn't the way to go with a commercial corned beef. These things are full of salt and the only way I've ever had them come out good is simmered in 8 - 12 qts of water.

I'd really like to hear how it comes out whenever she does cook it. Especially if done in the crockpot.

Hoping it comes out good.

MikeS.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/05 14:45:38 (permalink)
    I simply cook one in about four to six quarts of water. I do add extra bay leaves and pickling spice to the pot. SIMMER for three to foour hours.
    fhoran
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/06 19:33:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

I simply cook one in about four to six quarts of water. I do add extra bay leaves and pickling spice to the pot. SIMMER for three to foour hours.

I think that's the way to go too, otherwise I would think it would be way too salty. Use the water then to boil potatoes and onions and cut up meat for homemade hash, or throw in carrots and cabbage and make a boiled dinner. Fred
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Corned Beef Brisket for Reuben Sandwiches 2006/09/07 16:00:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

Traditional New England method is to simmer on the stovetop, approximately 1 hour per pound. For sandwiches you may want to press the meat (maybe overnight), refrigerated, with a plate on top and something to weigh it down. Pressing squeezes out some of the water and permits thinner slicing.

Depends on your supplier, but the commercially prepared corned beef we get in this area tends be be on the salty side for dry cooking.

Good tip - never heard of the pressing before. Corned beef brisket is on my shopping list for my next trip to the groc.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1