The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Corned Beef Broth

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
Corned Beef Broth Sat, 03/17/07 12:01 PM (permalink)
For those of you who are making corned beef this weekend, what will you do with the "broth" or liquid you boiled it in? I am making pea soup with mine. In the past I have also used it to make lentil soup and navy bean soup.

BunglingBill

• Total Posts: 218
    RE: Corned Beef Broth Sat, 03/17/07 12:24 PM (permalink)
    I have always dumped it out in the past. BUT, your post is a bit of a heads-up! I think I will save the broth (we are cooking our corned beef today) and use it next week to boil some Great Northerns.

Using that broth should make my famous (at least here at home, it's famous) ham and bean soup (with now-in-season spring Vidalia onions added) even BETTER. Thanks for the idea.

agnesrob

RE: Corned Beef Broth Sat, 03/17/07 3:11 PM (permalink)
      Glad to have inspired you. My Mom never threw anything remotely edible away(raised during the Depression). She also saves foil, saran wrap and rinses out baggies. But thats her ecology thing. She's 87 and quite inspiring herself. For years I didn't appreciate her beliefs but now I have taken up her ideas and have kept them going. Enjoy your soup!

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
        RE: Corned Beef Broth Sat, 03/17/07 3:35 PM (permalink)
        Pea soup sounds like it has potential, but IMHO the broth is too salty to be much good, and with commercial corned beef it will have a substantial concentration of nitrates.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
          RE: Corned Beef Broth Sat, 03/17/07 7:34 PM (permalink)
          agnesrob, great idea!
          I've always dumped the broth, but today I strained it, added a few handfuls of pinto beans, a can of Rotel, some dijon mustard and a couple spoonsful of Branston Pickle to cut the salt taste. It worked...

Radeke

• Total Posts: 3
            RE: Corned Beef Broth Sat, 03/17/07 11:54 PM (permalink)
            I made a boiled dinner tonight, with a ham...I know, not "traditional" but we aren't Irish that I'm aware of and definitly not corned beef lovers. I actually stumbled upon Roadfood lokking for suggestions. It came out Awsome!!! I used a 7lb. smoked shoulder, potatoes, carrots, white boiling onions and a head of cabbage. I just couldn't bear throw away the couple GALLONS (I used a huge All-Clad stock pot) of broth. The bone was quite nice as well. Long story short :) I ended up boiling the bone in the leftover broth and stored it in the fridge. Now what? I've had a great homemade Split Pea Soup, but never attempted any homemade soup. Help please!

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5357
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Corned Beef Broth Sun, 03/18/07 1:33 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Radeke

I made a boiled dinner tonight, with a ham...I know, not "traditional" but we aren't Irish that I'm aware of and definitly not corned beef lovers. I actually stumbled upon Roadfood lokking for suggestions. It came out Awsome!!! I used a 7lb. smoked shoulder, potatoes, carrots, white boiling onions and a head of cabbage. I just couldn't bear throw away the couple GALLONS (I used a huge All-Clad stock pot) of broth. The bone was quite nice as well. Long story short :) I ended up boiling the bone in the leftover broth and stored it in the fridge. Now what? I've had a great homemade Split Pea Soup, but never attempted any homemade soup. Help please!

1st off let me say welcome to Roadfood!

For a soup it's going to be very easy. 1st decide what kind, with this broth you could easily do a vegetable or a legume soup. Take your favorite vegetables, potato, carrot, turnips, or even cauliflower and broccoli. Basically whatever.

Chop veggies into approx. 1/2 inch size for potatoes or 1/8 slice for carrots. Put into boiling broth and then turn down to a simmer until tender.

For leguems, beans/peas, rinse with cold water in a colander to wash off any dirt. Some people recommend a soak in for for a few to several hours. I don't. Put beans into boiling broth and then simmer for 2 - 4 hours. Again until tender. The time is going to depend on what bean/pea you used.

You are going to have plenty of salt in this broth already so I sure wouldn't add any to start with. Add some pepper and a bit of garlic I always add some onion to most of mine.

Feel free to ask more ?s if ya have them.

MikeS.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6205
                RE: Corned Beef Broth Sun, 03/18/07 2:40 AM (permalink)
                Even as a chef that worked in an Irish restaurant in Boston, we never saved the corned beef broth for anything. Down the drain. Too salty. Too pungent. I prefer my veg or legume soups not to have this taste.

agnesrob

RE: Corned Beef Broth Sun, 03/18/07 7:16 AM (permalink)
                  I admit I don't add any additional salt but I have never found the resulting soup to be too salty. Maybe it depends on the amount of water used. Mike S., your instructions are right on the money. After watching my Mom make soup for years I realize I don't have any exact recipe. I always just "wing it".

blue heaven

• Total Posts: 484
                    RE: Corned Beef Broth Sun, 03/18/07 8:43 AM (permalink)
                    Hi agnesrob.....great idea.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                      RE: Corned Beef Broth Sun, 03/18/07 9:48 AM (permalink)
                      I use the broth to cook additional cabbage during the week.With cabbage at 29 cents a lb.,its our vegetable of choice right now!

BunglingBill

RE: Corned Beef Broth Sun, 03/18/07 11:45 AM (permalink)
                        Darn! I was all prepared to boil up some Great Northerns in our left over corned beef broth. Sounded like a GREAT idea. Then Ashphalt points out the concentrated nitrate problem, which sounds reasonable to me. I still have the broth in the fridge, but debating whether to use it or not.

Life is full of tough decisions!

iqdiva

• Total Posts: 1491
                          RE: Corned Beef Broth Sun, 03/18/07 11:56 AM (permalink)
                          Well Bill,we're all destined to die from something...We Might as well enjoy the ride...

BunglingBill

RE: Corned Beef Broth Sun, 03/18/07 12:20 PM (permalink)
                            You're right, diva . . . . I'm cookin' the beans in the broth The devil with the chemicals!

iqdiva

• Total Posts: 1491
                              RE: Corned Beef Broth Sun, 03/18/07 12:52 PM (permalink)
                              Go for it Bill...Enjoy ( Make some cornbread or hoecakes to go along with those beans)!

Radeke

RE: Corned Beef Broth Sun, 03/18/07 4:52 PM (permalink)
                                quote:

For a soup it's going to be very easy. 1st decide what kind, with this broth you could easily do a vegetable or a legume soup. Take your favorite vegetables, potato, carrot, turnips, or even cauliflower and broccoli. Basically whatever.

Chop veggies into approx. 1/2 inch size for potatoes or 1/8 slice for carrots. Put into boiling broth and then turn down to a simmer until tender.

For leguems, beans/peas, rinse with cold water in a colander to wash off any dirt. Some people recommend a soak in for for a few to several hours. I don't. Put beans into boiling broth and then simmer for 2 - 4 hours. Again until tender. The time is going to depend on what bean/pea you used.

You are going to have plenty of salt in this broth already so I sure wouldn't add any to start with. Add some pepper and a bit of garlic I always add some onion to most of mine.

Feel free to ask more ?s if ya have them

Thanks a ton, Mike!!! I say to hell with the nitrates, I'm going down in style! So, like I said I've never attempted this. Do I cut up some of the leftover ham and toss it in too? What kind of veggies go in split pea soup? I'm gonna work on it tomorrow, so wish me luck...

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
                                  RE: Corned Beef Broth Sun, 03/18/07 5:03 PM (permalink)
                                  I cannot understand why anyone would include nitrate laden water in their cooking. If there were any health benefits or even flavor benefits, I might understand but there is not so why use it?

Radeke

RE: Corned Beef Broth Sun, 03/18/07 5:22 PM (permalink)
                                    I honestly don't think the amount of nitrates in a bowl of soup is enough to kill us. I think it's probally less harmful than the air we're breathing each day...

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5357
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: Corned Beef Broth Sun, 03/18/07 11:46 PM (permalink)
                                      Radeke, sure put some cubed ham into whatever soup you make. You just can't hardly go wrong making a broth soup. Now a cream soup, that's a whole different story...

I made my corned beef dinner today, after I took out the meat I put in carrots and cabbage. After we ate PP went and cleaned the kitchen right away. She tossed the broth so no bean soup for us. Until next week...I'll cook another one then.

MikeS.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                                        RE: Corned Beef Broth Mon, 03/19/07 12:53 AM (permalink)
                                        At risk of being labeled a Polly Picky, isn't the problem item nitrites instead of nitrates? Nitrites from the addition of Potassium Nitrite.

snaggle

• Total Posts: 24
                                          RE: Corned Beef Broth Tue, 03/20/07 11:50 PM (permalink)
                                          im thinking some sort of twist on french onion would be an intelligent choice for the broth, with pumpernickel crostini's and swiss cheese baked on top type deal. maybe add a little fake beef broth or if you have it glace. mind you when i say french onion i mean a ****ton of onions are involved too.. this could be good me thinks..

BunglingBill

RE: Corned Beef Broth Wed, 03/21/07 2:02 PM (permalink)
                                            Diva,

Now that the fervor has cooled a bit (about the broth) please check my two corning methods, posted on another thread, about how I make corned beef. My "corning brine" is offered in TWO versions . . . with and without the chemical "Saltpeter."

If using a broth with Saltpeter, I would dump the broth after cooking the beef. If using a broth WITHOUT Saltpeter, I would definitely reuse it to prepare boiled dried beans or other similar dishes.

Have a good one!

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                                              RE: Corned Beef Broth Wed, 03/21/07 2:26 PM (permalink)
                                              If your corned beef was nice and pink, then it had saltpeter(potassium nitrate) in it. I would dump the water.

missmegs03

• Total Posts: 1
                                                • Location: Pittsburg/Alameda, CA
                                                RE: Corned Beef Broth Wed, 03/23/11 3:57 PM (permalink)
                                                I can see that this is an old topic, however my family has made a type of Navy Bean stew like this for as long as I can remember. My dad will soak the beans overnight in the corned beef stock, and then cook the beans in it as well, he adds diced tomasoes, carrots, celery, and onions. If we have any leftover corned beef he adds that as well. Now there is all this talk about not using the stock because of the nitrates in it from the meat, however I don't see what the big deal is all about because you don't seem to have a problem eating the meat that had the nitrates added to it. Do all the nitrates cook out of the meat?

Steadam2011

• Total Posts: 16
                                                  Re:Corned Beef Broth Mon, 07/25/11 5:50 AM (permalink)
                                                  This is what I place in mine. Hope you enjoy.

8 small red potato, quartered
                                                  1 large onion, peeled and cut into wedges
                                                  1 apple, peeled, cored and finely diced
                                                  3-4 lbs corned beef brisket
                                                  1/2 head cabbage, cut into chunks
                                                  4 cups apple cider
                                                  3/4 cup packed brown sugar
                                                  2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
                                                  1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
                                                  1/4 teaspoon black pepper

<message edited by Steadam2011 on Sat, 08/27/11 3:06 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com