Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
GNeedles59
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 594
Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 15:46:04 (permalink)
What is St. Paddy's day? :-P

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18449
Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 16:56:30 (permalink)
GNeedles59

It's March 17. It's a day when lots of folks, especially the Irish in the United States, dine on corned beef and cabbage, a dish they learned about from New Englanders. Perhaps you've heard of the New England Boiled Dinner?
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2009/05/04 20:27:01
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 18:30:44 (permalink)
Google it up GN.

Then do "Bay Corn".
Joe
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10259
Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/05 00:43:53 (permalink)
GNeedles59

Corned beef was also served at Lincoln's inaugural dinner.  But I don't know if it was corned beef chili... it should have been!

The Menu is absolutely true.
However, Lincoln would not have known what Chili was since not much was known by people East of the Mississippi about Chili during his time. The USA version of Chili came about during the mid to late 1800's when "Cattle Drivers, Gold Prospectors and Chain Gangs throughout Texas enjoyed steaming bowls of long simmered beef, chiles and spices" - Source: Jane Butel's Revised & updated "Chili Madness" Cookbook from Workman Publishing Co. Inc. Her knowledge of the History of Chili is PHENOMENAL, along with many fantastic recipes! If you don't have the updated version of "Chili Madness", I suggest you get it. In the book, the origin of Chili is traced back to a Nun in Spain, Sister Mary of Agreda. Google it! She's an amazing story! 
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/05 01:06:31 (permalink)
PapaJoe8

FoodB, oh... I thought I heard that around here somewhere. Maybe it was just that CB&C is not the most popular St. Paddy's Day dish in Ireland???
Joe

Edit; You beat me to tha punch Michael! Yep, what you said above... that is what I was thinking.

Michael & PapaJoe8,
Both of you are Correct!!! That's AMAZING that anyone is in agreement with Michael!

While Corned Beef was originated in Ireland, CB & Cabbage is not popular there. People in Ireland view CB & C as an "American Thing".

St. Paddy's Day, like Cinco de Mayo, Halloween, Fourth of July, Memorial Day, New Years Eve and all the other "Days" have been exploited to the MAX in our country by the Beer, Booze & Food People. Americans love an excuse to party and "They" are willing to exploit it for Sales & Profit. Buy their stock!!" />" />

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18449
Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/05 02:04:16 (permalink)
Foodbme

PapaJoe8

FoodB, oh... I thought I heard that around here somewhere. Maybe it was just that CB&C is not the most popular St. Paddy's Day dish in Ireland???
Joe

Edit; You beat me to tha punch Michael! Yep, what you said above... that is what I was thinking.

That's AMAZING that anyone is in agreement with Michael!

Everyone is always in agreement with me, or they're wrong. Lots of people hate to have to admit it, but that's their problem.

chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/05 11:49:11 (permalink)
Foodbme, I hate to rain on your parade but I have had Corned beef chili on my menu for years. As no on has ever ordered it I couldn't tell you what it tastes like as I've never made it...just kidding, what a unique idea, I also love to brainstorm new soup ideas!
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/05 11:52:16 (permalink)
GNeedles59

St. Paddy's day is a legitimate reason to get drunk for no particular reason!
DoubleSBerger
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2012/02/13 15:16:01 (permalink)
OK, I know your original post on this is almost 3 years old, but I had to reply. Hope you're still active on here.  My father made Corned Beef Chili every year for St. Patricks day and brought it down to the Pub for the crowd to enjoy.  I think he did it for about 10 years (until he died 6 years ago, but don't worry it wasn't the chili.) Every St Patricks day now, I think I should try and recreate the recipe that he never wrote down, and I never saw him make. Finally this year as the day approaches I thought to google the phrase "corned beef chili" and at three years old your post is still the number one hit. There are still no known recipies out there that I can see.

So how did yours come out?

I pretty sure my father cooked the corned beef in the chili and did not add cooked corned beef at the end. Cooking the corned beef in the chili is the only way I think the fat could soak up so much heat from the hot peppers. It seemed to us that the corned beef chili got "hotter" than the usual chili we would both make with leaner stew meat. 

Foodbme

Last night,  as I lay sleeping, a vision or a dream or something out of the Cosmos came to me and SCREAMED ----Corned Beef Chili!!! I've been thinking about it all day long and can't get the Singing Sirens out of my head!! I've researched the Internet and can't find any references to it--SO------ My guess is it hasn't been tried or invented!!!
I'm on to something Original, unless someone on here can disprove that assumption!!!!! Come forward or forever hold your peace!

So, NOW the issue is--- develop a recipe to try out the theory.  My basic thought would be to build a pot of chili by just substituting chopped, cooked, Corn Beef in place of Regular Beef in it's many forms and add the traditional Chili Sauces. I'm thinking something like "Oy Vey Chili" for the name. I might copyright this idea so don't go stealing it!

I'm sure I just peaked some creative Roadfood Juices, so let's hear it!!   

Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 855
Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2012/02/13 16:10:44 (permalink)
I had  a fairly dry piece of corned beef I needed to use up for hash, but wasn't looking forward to the task. However, I took some left over chitlins, shallow fried in olive oil, with garlic, chopped fine and added them. Worked well. Wonder how that might work in with chili?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2012/02/14 01:53:56 (permalink)
Phildelmar
I had  a fairly dry piece of corned beef I needed to use up for hash, but wasn't looking forward to the task. However, I took some left over chitlins, shallow fried in olive oil, with garlic, chopped fine and added them. Worked well. Wonder how that might work in with chili?

Certainly you jest???? Chitlins???? As in chitterlings???
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2012/02/14 13:04:00 (permalink)
Yes, got the idea from the Nero Wolfe Cookbook
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2012/02/14 13:04:23 (permalink)
Yes, got the idea from the Nero Wolfe Cookbook
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1