Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10358
2009/05/04 00:07:18 (permalink)

Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!!

Last night,  as I lay sleeping, a vision or a dream or something out of the Cosmos came to me and SCREAMED ----Corned Beef Chili!!! I've been thinking about it all day long and can't get the Singing Sirens out of my head!! I've researched the Internet and can't find any references to it--SO------ My guess is it hasn't been tried or invented!!!
I'm on to something Original, unless someone on here can disprove that assumption!!!!! Come forward or forever hold your peace!

So, NOW the issue is--- develop a recipe to try out the theory.  My basic thought would be to build a pot of chili by just substituting chopped, cooked, Corn Beef in place of Regular Beef in it's many forms and add the traditional Chili Sauces. I'm thinking something like "Oy Vey Chili" for the name. I might copyright this idea so don't go stealing it!

I'm sure I just peaked some creative Roadfood Juices, so let's hear it!!   

42 Replies Related Threads

food4u
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 03:50:58 (permalink)
    I went out searching for a corned beef chili recipe, because I thought for sure that it would exist somewhere on the internet. It appears I was wrong. The only ones I could find under corned beef chili were those that included both corn and beef, but not corned beef. You may actually have hit on a new idea! I'm no chili expert, but it seems like substituting corned beef for regular beef would probably work. Good luck, and let us know how it turned out!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 10:28:48 (permalink)
    Who flagged it & Why was this flagged????
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18891
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 10:32:50 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Offhand I'd say it's because some wannabe is unhappy that you posted it in the category you chose. Obviously, it was not done by a moderator, because a moderator would have just moved it to what he or she considered an appropriate section.

On the other hand, perhaps someone felt your Oy Vey reference vergred on anti-Semetic, in which case, the person should have had the guts to say something.

Ah, the nothings that nip at your heels are everywhere.

Remember when people who felt it necessary would merely suggest in a post that something be moved. With this new system they can remain anonymous cowards.
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2009/05/04 11:06:03
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 10:55:50 (permalink)
    I know that when I make chili, I add raw beef.  I would think that if you were going to make Corned Beef Chili, you would have two options.

Option One:  Make a vegetarian chili, and then add cooked cubed corned beef to it, or even shredded corned beef.  But if it is cooked, it would have to be added at the end.

Option Two:  Add chopped raw corned beef in the same manner you would add any chopped roast or brisket when making chili.

EDIT:
    BTW, I think this is a great idea....  Please let us know what you decide to do!
    post edited by braunsteinm - 2009/05/04 10:57:27
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8666
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 11:01:06 (permalink)
    I really do not like that feature-Foodbme is talking about chili-where else should it be?Anyway, interesting idea.I love corned beef, and I love chili. I am just not sure how I would put it together.Please keep us posted as you experiment.
    GNeedles59
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 11:03:20 (permalink)
    Sounds like an interesting idea, i don't know if it is something I would go for.  Just because you can do something, should you? :-P Go for it and post results!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 11:11:19 (permalink)
    Maybe it was flagged by a chili purist!

I dunno, I'm not sure how I'd meld the flavor of corned beef with the chili and cumin. The garlic and onions would be OK, but I can't taste, in my mind,  how the defining flavors of each would go together.

But what do I know? Give it a try and report back!
    WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1860
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 12:07:41 (permalink)
    I don't know why it was flagged, it's completely relavant to the chili section.

I don't know how well corned beef chili would turn out.  I experimented once with highly seasoned deer sausage chili and it was a resounding thumbs down.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 12:24:25 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Foodbme

Offhand I'd say it's because some wannabe is unhappy that you posted it in the category you chose. Obviously, it was not done by a moderator, because a moderator would have just moved it to what he or she considered an appropriate section.

On the other hand, perhaps someone felt your Oy Vey reference verged on anti-Semitic, in which case, the person should have had the guts to say something.

Ah, the nothings that nip at your heels are everywhere.

Remember when people who felt it necessary would merely suggest in a post that something be moved. With this new system they can remain anonymous cowards.

THANX for the comment Michael.
    It's about a variation of Chili so I put it in the Chili thread. That's where it belongs.

If someone is upset about what I called it, that's their opinion & problem and they should not have the right to censor others. There was nothing Anti-Semitic intended by the name. Corned Beef is generally associated with Jewish Deli's as well as with the Irish, i.e. Corned Beef & Gabbage.

Yiddish is a totally awesome language that is a combination of German and Hebrew and many of the words are used as descriptive. Translated to English, Oy Vey! means "Oh Woe" as in Oh Woe is Me!

I worked in NYC for a number of years and had many Jewish friends & they taught me quite a few Yiddish words.
    I'll use another one in a sentence. "The person who flagged this post as inappropriate is a "Schmuck"!" Translation: A JERK!
    Source: [color=#008000 sb_id="ms__id3134"]wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 12:25:21 (permalink)
    WarToad

I don't know why it was flagged, it's completely relavant to the chili section.

A thread purist would argue with you about that.

From the forum menu under Chili:

Discuss your favorite chili parlor. Chili varies widely across the country – with the thick and hearty Texas style and the 5-way Cincinnati variety with cheese, noodles, onions etc.

A reasonable person who is not a scurrilous coward, and is concerned about things being where they belong, would have suggested it be moved instead of anonymously flagging it.

brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 12:32:10 (permalink)
    It would be nice if the "flag" was actually a link.  Clicking on it would she who flagged it and why.
    I took over managing a samll kitchen when I was still a little green.  I inherited an almost full barrel of cured brisket.  A wild thought came to me, "Corned Beef Burgers".  I groung the uncooked brisket and formed it into patties and then grilled them.  Dont even think about it.  It was the worst disaster I ever commited!  I tried one before I put it on the daily specials.  Bad idea!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 12:37:42 (permalink)
    brittneal

I took over managing a samll kitchen when I was still a little green.  I inherited an almost full barrel of cured brisket.  A wild thought came to me, "Corned Beef Burgers".  I groung the uncooked brisket and formed it into patties and then grilled them.  Dont even think about it.  It was the worst disaster I ever commited!  I tried one before I put it on the daily specials.  Bad idea!

That's funny.

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 12:38:38 (permalink)
    Here is a Google warning: I Googled "corned beef chili recipe", and the only promising link led to one of those pages that warns that you have viruses and spyware on your computer, and when you click on the X in the right corner it starts downloading malware.

If you accidentally find yourself on such a page, you have to exit either from the taskbar, or using Ctrl-Alt-Del. If you click ANYWHERE in the popup box, it will infect you.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 12:39:29 (permalink)
    Mosca

Maybe it was flagged by a chili purist!

I dunno, I'm not sure how I'd meld the flavor of corned beef with the chili and cumin. The garlic and onions would be OK, but I can't taste, in my mind,  how the defining flavors of each would go together.

But what do I know? Give it a try and report back!

I'm not sure how it will all go together either, especially the Cumin & Chili Powder on top of the Corned Beef Seasonings. I can't even imagine how it will taste. Guess there's only one way to find out---------put it in a pot & see what happens!!!

On Wednesday I'll take one for the Roadfood Team , I'll make a small "Test Batch" using a pound of Deli Corned Beef cut up in small chunks. If it works, then I'll buy a whole corned beef, cook it & go from there.
    I'll post the results of the "Noble Experiment', assuming I'm still on the Planet!

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 12:43:22 (permalink)

Well, if it doesn't work out you can always put it on rye bread and have a corned beef chili sandwich. Or add sauerkraut, Swiss and Russian dressing and have a chili Reuben sandwich.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 12:52:15 (permalink)
    FoodB, I am having trouble blending regular chili seasonings and corned beef in my mind. But hey, done right... who knows?

Hmm, what about a green chili corned beef stew? The mild green chili flavor w/ tha corned beef might work? Potatoes and... hmmm? Oh, maybe even Cabbage???

NYNM, what do you think?
    Joe
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 12:55:30 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Well, if it doesn't work out you can always put it on rye bread and have a corned beef chili sandwich. Or add sauerkraut, Swiss and Russian dressing and have a chili Reuben sandwich.

I KNEW the Creative Juices would start to flow!!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 13:09:01 (permalink)
    PapaJoe8

FoodB, I am having trouble blending regular chili seasonings and corned beef in my mind. But hey, done right... who knows?

Hmm, what about a green chili corned beef stew? The mild green chili flavor w/ tha corned beef might work? Potatoes and... hmmm? Oh, maybe even Cabbage???

NYNM, what do you think?
    Joe

Hummmmmm----Green Chili Corned Beef Stew?????  I know----Let's call it "Ole', Oy Vey, Green Chili Corned Beef Stew"!!!!!! We'll serve it with Irish Soda Bread Tortilla's!

WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1860
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 13:16:54 (permalink)
    Better add some teriyaki glaze to that somewhere.  It'll round out the food fusion.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 13:26:02 (permalink)
    WarToad

Better add some teriyaki glaze to that somewhere.  It'll round out the food fusion.

I was thinking maybe a side of Sauerkraut-Kielbasa Sushi with Wasabi-Grey Poupon Sauce!

DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 13:26:12 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Foodbme if it makes you feel any better I rated your post a 5 star idea. I am curious about corned beef chili now myself. Let me know how it works out for you and I may try making some myself.

Dennis in Cary 
    post edited by DLnWPBrown - 2009/05/04 13:31:41
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 13:39:40 (permalink)
    DLnWPBrown

Foodbme

Foodbme if it makes you feel any better I rated your post a 5 star idea. I am curious about corned beef chili now myself. Let me know how it works out for you and I may try making some myself.

Dennis in Cary

THANX for the rating! I'm making a test batch on Wednesday. Report to follow!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 14:16:45 (permalink)
    FoodB, I love the Irish Soda Bread Tortillas idea!!!

The name... to long I think. I'm stickin w/ ... Coned Beef Green Chili Stew. Corned beef says Irish to many folks even though it's not. :~)

About the corned beef w/ regular chili seasonings??? Hey, I'd try a bowl. But... I'll eat anything.
    Joe
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 14:26:19 (permalink)
    Looks like you are not flagged anymore Foodbme  

Dennis in Cary
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 14:29:00 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Try it again, but this time say that you want to make corned beef chili in a hotdog cart.  Since hotdog cart discussions are now appropriate to every forum, you can't possibly get flagged.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 14:32:17 (permalink)
    PapaJoe8

Corned beef says Irish to many folks even though it's not. :~)
    Joe

Au Contraire' my fine PapaJoe8--- If you look up the history of Corned Beef, it Originated in Ireland & the British Isles and then was made popular by the Irish- Americans!

GNeedles59
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 15:27:49 (permalink)
    Corned beef was also served at Lincoln's inaugural dinner.  But I don't know if it was corned beef chili... it should have been!

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 15:42:02 (permalink)
    Foodbme

PapaJoe8

Corned beef says Irish to many folks even though it's not. :~)
    Joe

Au Contraire' my fine PapaJoe8--- If you look up the history of Corned Beef, it Originated in Ireland & the British Isles and then was made popular by the Irish- Americans!

Perhaps he was thinking of corned beef and cabbage, which definitely is not Irish in origin.

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:Corned Beef Chili??? A crazy idea!! 2009/05/04 15:42:09 (permalink)
    FoodB, oh... I thought I heard that around here somewhere. Maybe it was just that CB&C is not the most popular St. Paddy's Day dish in Ireland???
    Joe

Edit; You beat me to tha punch Michael! Yep, what you said above... that is what I was thinking.
    post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2009/05/04 16:22:05
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1