Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Cosmos
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1449
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/10 09:59:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

Which one would you pick? " />

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/10 10:27:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

Manyyyy years ago a GF invited me to her(parents) house for dinner. She was cooking corned beef and cabbage and corn bread. Nummy I thought. Until I set down to eat and it was canned corned beef. Not the real stuff I was use to. Not so nummy. That relationship didn't last a lot longer.

What is a Nummy?...Russ
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2216
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/10 11:37:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

Manyyyy years ago a GF invited me to her(parents) house for dinner. She was cooking corned beef and cabbage and corn bread. Nummy I thought. Until I set down to eat and it was canned corned beef. Not the real stuff I was use to. Not so nummy. That relationship didn't last a lot longer.

What is a Nummy?...Russ

"Nummy, nummy, nummy/I got love in my tummy/And I feel like lovin' you"? ...... Ohio Express.... or was it the 1910 Fruitgum Co.?
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/10 17:37:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

I like potted meat.Libbys, imo, is the best among them.

Does potted meat refer to where it came from, or where it is shortly going to???????
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2216
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/10 18:21:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chewingthefat

quote:

Does potted meat refer to where it came from, or where it is shortly going to???????

I think it describes the condition one must be in for one to want to eat it. pb
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5416
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/11 00:16:36 (permalink)
Porkbeaks knows. Nummy = good stuff to eat.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2395
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/11 00:47:52 (permalink)
Oh, Mary Kitchen! I love your hash. I used to eat it when camping, but it can't hold a candle to the fresh made stuff at a deli that makes it from the corned beef on site. I love it creamy on the inside and crusty on the outside from griddling on the flattop.
offlady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 343
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/12 21:26:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chewingthefat

quote:

If it's anything like where pineapple juice comes from, then I'd think twice about eating it. I worked in a pineapple cannery as a teen and whatever couldn't go into the other cans (rings, tidbits, chunks) would end up in the crusher and sold as crushed pine. At the very bottom of the rung was pineapple juice. I could tell you what really went into the juice, but I won't. Let's just say I haven't had a can of pineapple juice ever since I was a teenager.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/12 22:54:48 (permalink)
Please, all the piny details. We're all adults here, and most of us have had to deal with what our kids left for us in their nappies. We can take it.

So, what's the scoop on pineapple juice?
offlady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 343
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/14 19:52:52 (permalink)
OK, since you asked. Nothing of the pineapple fruit go to waste. The crowns are removed and are replanted for the next crop. The nice fleshy parts are machine sliced into rings, chunks and tidbits. The undersized or oversized fuits, and the crooked, uneven, or broken slices end up as crushed pineapple. The crushed pineapple is checked and picked over to remove anything that doesn't look like the fruit. EVERYTHING ELSE goes into the juicer. This includes the skin, the core, all of the trimmings, seeds, dirt, worms, pesticides, bugs, roaches, and anything else that falls onto the conveyor best. There are conveyor belts running all throughout the cannery catching all the juices from the workers gloves, tables, and everywhere else. There was this tiny old man who would walk around with his little oil can and squirt all of the machinery, right over the conveyor belt and I would see drips of oil going down to the juicer every so often. He kept those machines well oiled!

Sadly, this was the last viable pineapple cannery in the country and it closed its doors last year as labor and other costs made importing much cheaper. It provided jobs for most of the teenagers and many housewives for many years.

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8334
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/14 20:01:32 (permalink)
Well, apparently I am on the opposite sides of the spectrum.I like potted meat-no worse ingredients than a hot dog, IMO.I like pineapple,and am not overly concerned about the conditions that offlady described.That was a long time ago and I am still alive.Again, I repeat"I am afraid of tornadoes, but dont live in my basement"." />
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/14 21:05:09 (permalink)
PapaJoe's rule... if it didn't eat you first... eat it!!! That rule came from eating a bear steak complemnts of Benny Binion.
Joe
MissKitty
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/15 08:11:36 (permalink)
I have never had corned beef hash from a can so I'm afraid I can' comment on that. Unless you happen to come across a Jewish originated deli, corned beef here means that chopped up catfood type stuff. I think the nearest we would have to American corned beef would be varieties of salt beef.

As a child I used to eat, without much enthusiasm, the canned catfood type. Mainly because it was cheap and there were so many other things I didn't eat that I would feel guilty for making a fuss about it. As well as sandwiches my family would make variations on hash with it, or add it at the last minute to a vegetable, or added to baked beans. I will now sometimes very occasionally buy the ready sliced type you can get in supermarkets. I like SPAM sometimes these days too. I get an occasional craving for it, I probably eat maybe 2-3 small tins a year.

Potted meat here is meat paste you get in a jar, the most well known company that makes it is Shippams : http://www.britishsupermarketworldwide.com/acatalog/Sandwich_Filling.html

This kind of stuff originated from when we used to use up every scrap of animals killed at the autumn/winter slaughter and preserve them in earthenware jars under a thick layer of fat. I can't bear the jarred meat paste type but I like my mum's home made potted beef, which is like a kind of very coarse pate and involves a lot of homemade pure beef dripping and butter and also the pork rilletes made by the guy who runs the local little farm foods deli round the corner. So yummy on hot toast with cornichons on the side ! weirdly enough my mum prefers the jarred nastiness
Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/05/23 19:34:22 (permalink)
Can anyone tell the difference between Mary Kitchen and Libby's for corned beef hash? I always noticed the Mary Kitchen costs a little more.

And for that matter are these the only two brands of hash that are sold? I know there are store brands, but I've never seen any other brand besides Mary and Libby. This is unlike what I see for tuna or salmon where there are a handful of major brands as well as some upscale/gourmet/import brands.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/05/24 06:35:34 (permalink)
Another major brand is Prudence. In fact I think it's the only item they sell. I use it on occasion, it's pretty good and crisps up nicely.
I sometimes add chopped sun dried tomatos and a little tobasco sauce for a variation. Chow Jim
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1