Corned Beef

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
2004/12/24 12:37:38 (permalink)

Corned Beef

The Sundancer does not pride himself as a chef or anything close. I know there are several chef folks on this forum that are really good. Lleechef comes to mind and Bushie and the Mayor are great. The reason I say this is it is very difficult for me to travel into new terrain.

I bought a corned beef with fat the other day at Walmart and quite frankly I was intimidated by the process but honest to God, it came out super. I actually impressed myself. It was preseasoned but came with additional seasoning which I used. It also was pre tenderized. It was super tender, moist and I even liked the fat. I made some sour dough in the bread machine, used some seasoned mustard, poured a little libation and enjoyed the evening. In addition, I found out that it nukes very well.

I may try pastrami next if I get up enough nerve.

I would appreciate your input on corned beef or pastrami. I like them both. Before I attempted the corned beef, the best I had ever had was at a deli in Milwaukee that is suppose to be co-owned by the commisioner of baseball. I cannot verify that. It is a really dumpy place in a part of town that needs some rehab but the sandwiches are super and there is always a line.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

30 Replies Related Threads

Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Corned Beef 2004/12/24 16:31:57 (permalink)
    Way to go!!

And yes, Bud Selig and a few other guys who ate there frequently bought "Jake's" in Milwaukee to keep it in operation when the owner was getting ready to shut it down. (or at least that's what the newspaper clippings say). AND IT IS THE BEST CORNED BEEF I HAVE EVER HAD--INCLUDING THE BEST THAT NEW YORK HAS TO OFFER, even at 2nd Avenue and Carnegie delis.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3300
    RE: Corned Beef 2004/12/26 11:11:02 (permalink)
    Jake's corned beef is hands down the best of the best. Jake uses Vienna Beef corned beef. It's hand carved, and served on delicious Miller's rye with a nice kosher pickle. Take a number, wait in line, or sit at one of the old wooden booths or tables and enjoy a Dr. Brown's black cherry soda while waiting for your sandwich. Jake's corned beef may also be purchased by the pound. You can purchase Vienna cooked corned beef briskets at the Vienna Store in Chicago on Damen & Fullerton. Grasch Foods in Brookfield, WI sells them during the various holidays and they're available at some Jewel and Dominick's food stores in the Chicago area.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Corned Beef 2004/12/26 12:41:11 (permalink)
    Chicago Dog Man: You did a nice job recapping Jakes. I have been there numerous times and always enjoyed it. It ain't exactly ornate but it is good. Nice thick slices. I enjoy both the corned beef and pastrami. Thanks for describing the bread. I knew it was good.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/03 07:41:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Jake's corned beef is hands down the best of the best. Jake uses Vienna Beef corned beef. It's hand carved, and served on delicious Miller's rye with a nice kosher pickle. Take a number, wait in line, or sit at one of the old wooden booths or tables and enjoy a Dr. Brown's black cherry soda while waiting for your sandwich. Jake's corned beef may also be purchased by the pound. You can purchase Vienna cooked corned beef briskets at the Vienna Store in Chicago on Damen & Fullerton. Grasch Foods in Brookfield, WI sells them during the various holidays and they're available at some Jewel and Dominick's food stores in the Chicago area.

Thanks for bringing this back up. I plan on being in Milwaukee in the next few weeks. I will definately visit Jakes. I will get two sandwiches. One being pastrami and the other being corned beef. They have a nice selection of strange soft drinks and their Russian soup ain't bad.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/03 23:22:15 (permalink)
    Chicago, Sundancer,
    About how high would you say Jake's piles the sandwich?
    The best quality I've ever had was at the 2nd Avenue Deli. However, I was surprised it wasn't piled terribly high, as has become the fashion out East.

Sure, I'll go for the quality over the quantity, but nonetheless I was just surprised....being used to the mile-high offerings at Harold's (Edison, NJ) and the such.
    The Bear
    Jim Ross
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/05 14:18:59 (permalink)
    I haven't made it to Jake's yet, but my favorite corned beef sandwich is at Manny's Coffee Shop in Chicago. It's pretty pricey though. Here are a couple of the Stern's pictures.
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Photo.aspx?RefID=86&PhotoID=5300
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Photo.aspx?RefID=86&PhotoID=5301
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/05 15:42:25 (permalink)
    Jim, I grew eating Manny's corned beef in the 50's. It was not far from my home. Manny's, hands down, has the best corned beef sandwich in Chicago! For $9.95 you get a gigantic plateful of corned beef and a potato latke. I always wash it down with aGreen River.On the other side of the Illinois/Wisconsin border is Jake's. Jake's serves the finest corned beef sandwich in Wisconsin with Benji's right on it's tail. Manny's, Jake's, and Benji's delis serve Vienna corned beef. Jake's is hand cut(thicker and cross cut). Manny's is thinly machined sliced. The cut of corned beef effects it's taste. I grew up eating lean, thin sliced, corned beef. When I moved to Wisconsin from Chicago, I began eating hand cut corned beef. I now prefer the hand cut corned with a tad fat. I't jucier, tastier, crumblier, and melts in your mouth. The machine cut, lean thin sliced is drier to my taste buds. That's what happens when to copperhead who's now a cheesehead in beer town. However, I always call pop...pop!

CSD
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 669
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/05 16:47:27 (permalink)
    my fathers business was on the west side of chicago(ogden and western)and on saturdays if i went with him he would take me to lou mitchells for breakfast and then mannys for corned beef lunch and by that time i was ready to roll home,that man can slice up a corned beef the old way with a knife and serve it to you before you could blink
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/05 17:13:55 (permalink)
    Those certainly were the good old days. I lived on Roosevelt and Keeler, across from Sam & Hy's deli. We moved to Lincolnwood in the mid 50's and shortly after, Sam & Hy's moved to Skokie on Dempster. My uncle was the deli man at the Skokie store for many years. It was eventually sold, went down hill, and finally closed. Good corned beef was still to be found in Skokie at Buddy's Deli on Church and Kaufman's on Dempster. We also had Rubin's Deli(food with an attitude)in Lincolnwood on Touhy. Rubin never smiled, but served a great hand cut corned beef sandwich, as well as hand cut lox. Kaufman's is the only Skokie/Lincolnwood original corned beef survivor. Lippy's Red Hot Ranch on Devon served the best natural casing Vienna Beef hot dog on the north side while their potato pancake held the "The Greasiest Thing Ever Fried" trophy for many years.

CSD
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3144
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/05 19:12:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    what happens when to copperhead who's now a cheesehead in beer town. However, I always call pop...pop!

What else would you call him? Mom?

BTW what kind of soda do you like? Mmm Diet Blenheim
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4211
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/05 19:47:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jim Ross

I haven't made it to Jake's yet, but my favorite corned beef sandwich is at Manny's Coffee Shop in Chicago. It's pretty pricey though.

Manny's ain't cheap, but, one sandwich will easily feed two people!
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/05 21:26:21 (permalink)
    I LIVED AT 9200 BLK OF KENNETH, KNEW FOSTER AT BUDDYS WELL AND MY UNCLE JERRY WAS A FIXTURE AT SAM N HYES ON DEMPSTER HIS HOUSE WAS BEHIND THE BLDG ON THE CORNER OF LINCOLNWOOD DR AND THE ALLEY BEHIND DELI HE ATE THERE EVERY DAY
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/05 21:28:32 (permalink)
    DO YOU REMEBER THE ORIGONAL LITTLE HERMS IN THE PARKING LOT OF SAM AND HYS? AND BROWNS LITTLE HARLEY DLR. BY THE MARK 3
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/05 21:29:32 (permalink)
    I LIVED AT 9200 BLK OF KENNETH, KNEW FOSTER AT BUDDYS WELL AND MY UNCLE JERRY WAS A FIXTURE AT SAM N HYES ON DEMPSTER HIS HOUSE WAS BEHIND THE BLDG ON THE CORNER OF LINCOLNWOOD DR AND THE ALLEY BEHIND DELI HE ATE THERE EVERY DAY
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/06 16:32:08 (permalink)
    Phil, I used to eat at Little Herm's when I wasn't in the mood for a Poochie's char cheddar burger with grilled onions and cheese fries. That was when "Harv" owned the place. Every Friday, after work, a group of my teaching buddies from Chute Middle School in Evanston would frequent the Mark III. I wasn't familiar with Brown's HD on Dempster, but knew of it on Western Avenue. There were two brothers, Mark & Steve Brown. I believe Mark passed away from CO2 poisoning while working in his garage one night. Steve aka "Steve the Bear" Brown opened the motorcycle dealership off Howard & Western. I was neighbors with the Brown's in Lincolnwood and we attended Niles West together. Do you remember the Cork on Dempster? Great baby back ribs and Corkette creamy garlic dressing. BTW, I'm not familiar with the Skokie Dworkins, but I do buy my poppy seed hot dog buns in the steamer box for my business directly from Alpha Baking Company which is S.Rosen/MaryAnn.

CSD
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4211
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/06 17:11:06 (permalink)
    Hey Dog-

I'm a Ni-We-Hi grad as well. I also know a bunch of the biker guys that knew Steve Brown. I graduated in '75, how 'bout you? Care to give a real name; we might know each other from way back when. If you want to do this off the radar, try me at my email address.

BTW phatphil and CSD, reading your posts was a nice journey back in time. Thanks.

Buddy
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/06 17:11:48 (permalink)
    i found out they are the owner of it in niles,im a 63 baby so i may not remember the cork but i do know my mom went to prom with harvey somewhere on the west side as kids around independace blvd.i road with mark to sturgis one year and on the way back he wiped out and was airlifted, at the time he had browns auto body his dads old amc dealer.my neighboor mickey worked for them for years
    acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 444
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/06 17:12:56 (permalink)
    For those who have been to both, how does Jake's stack up against Katz's on Houston Street in NYC? Katz's hand cut corned beef and pastrami is far superior to anything here in Philly. The only deli in Chicago that I've ever visited is Max&Bennie's. I think I had the LEO omelette there.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/06 19:22:11 (permalink)
    Talking about Corned Beef, the New York Post reported today that the 2nd Avenue Deli, NYC, long heralded by the deli cognoscenti as serving the best corned beef sandwich in the whole wide world, has closed its doors until further notice.

It seems the landlord wants a stiff raise in rent, and the owner isn't very happy about it.

Guess how much the rent was, let alone how much the landlord wants to raise it to? It was $27,000 a month. That's a lot of corned beef sandwiches.

The landlord wants to raise it to $33,000. And that ain't chopped liver, neither.

I say move. It doesn't have to be where it is. You can make it the 2nd Avenue Deli on Park Avenue and it'd still be a destination restaurant.

What I'm surprised about is that after all these years they didn't own the building.
    The Bear

chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/06 19:58:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by acer2x

For those who have been to both, how does Jake's stack up against Katz's on Houston Street in NYC? Katz's hand cut corned beef and pastrami is far superior to anything here in Philly. The only deli in Chicago that I've ever visited is Max&Bennie's. I think I had the LEO omelette there.

I've been to both. I like Jake's the best. I'd take Jake's over my home town favorite, Manny's. Next time you're in Chicago, try Manny's for the deli or Lou Mitchell's for the breakfast. Max & Benni's corned beef is mediocre at best.

CSD
    acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 444
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/06 20:39:17 (permalink)
    CSD

Where exactly is Manny's?

I've been to Lou Mitchell's for breakfast.

I may be going to Chicago this summer.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/06 20:41:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by acer2x

CSD

Where exactly is Manny's?

I've been to Lou Mitchell's for breakfast.

I may be going to Chicago this summer.

Manny's is on Jefferson, just north of Roosevelt Road on the west side of Chicago. www.mannysdeli.com

CSD
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/01/07 00:29:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

Talking about Corned Beef, the New York Post reported today that the 2nd Avenue Deli, NYC, long heralded by the deli cognoscenti as serving the best corned beef sandwich in the whole wide world, has closed its doors until further notice.

It seems the landlord wants a stiff raise in rent, and the owner isn't very happy about it.

Guess how much the rent was, let alone how much the landlord wants to raise it to? It was $27,000 a month. That's a lot of corned beef sandwiches.

The landlord wants to raise it to $33,000. And that ain't chopped liver, neither.

I say move. It doesn't have to be where it is. You can make it the 2nd Avenue Deli on Park Avenue and it'd still be a destination restaurant.

What I'm surprised about is that after all these years they didn't own the building.
    The Bear

They're not going to find a space that size anywhere in Manhattan for less than $30,000 a month. I think the closure is a bluff. They have a line out the door from the time they open till closing time. It's a huge space and they have constant turnover. They're making a fortune (and they deserve to, the food is wonderful). January and February are the slowest months of the year in the NY restaurant scene. I think closing the doors was an attempt to get some press and pressure the landlord into reconsidering.

The 2nd Avenue Deli isn't going anywhere. It's not another CBGB's story (a landmark club that hasn't made money in many years). They will settle with the landlord and be open on 2nd Avenue for another 50 years.

If I'm wrong, and they shut their doors forever, then it will be a sad, sad, sad day in NY. I've had a bowl of matzo ball soup from the 2nd Avenue Deli at least twice a month for the past 18 years.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/03/23 16:14:09 (permalink)
    Jake's Deli in Milwaukee will be one of the stops on the "Cheesehead in Beer Town" tour on Saturday, April 29th. Visit the Misc-Food Related Forum for details. The Sundancer, Hillbilly, and I can vouch for Jake's as the finest corned beef sandwich in the world and we all live in different parts of the country. If you want proof, kindly join us on the tour.

CSD
    Tastytoo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 271
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/03/23 17:34:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Steve aka "Steve the Bear" Brown opened the motorcycle dealership off Howard & Western.

CSD

Was that the CCS Bear? I think my older siblings mentioned that place.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/03/25 00:01:03 (permalink)
    Yes, that was the CSS Bear. BTW, I just sent you an e-mail about some other Roadfood things about 2 minutes ago.

CSD
    Tastytoo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 271
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/03/25 19:39:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Yes, that was the CSS Bear. BTW, I just sent you an e-mail about some other Roadfood things about 2 minutes ago.

CSD

I never received it. I checked my preferences and my e-mail address is correct
    Kogs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/03/26 19:25:02 (permalink)
    HELP! This topic is killing me. I have recently (6 months ago) moved from metro Detroit to Atlanta. I enjoyed wonderful corned beef sandwiches at Star Deli (12 Mile & Telegraph Rd) in Southfield, MI and while Atlanta has lots of good food, I haven't found THE GREAT deli yet. Anyone?

Kogs
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Corned Beef 2006/03/26 19:35:34 (permalink)
    go to WWW.NYCBSA.COM NEW YORK CORNED BEEF SOCIETY OF ATLANTA
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1