Corned beef hash

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
bieger
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/07/10 00:50:33 (permalink)
I know this is going to sound weird, but I LOVE corned beef hash with peanut butter. If you haven't tried it, you should try it at least once! Mmmm, I'm gettin' hungry just thinking about it!

Jeremy
kangolpimp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 119
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/07/10 00:55:41 (permalink)
Can you elaborate, Jeremy? Is the corned beef hash heated or cold/room temperature right out of the can? And is it made into a sandwich? Any condiments? Sounds intriguing, and I do enjoy peanut butter in a number of savory applications, but I am not sure corned beef hash would have ever sprung to mind as one of them.
boogles2
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/07/10 01:06:54 (permalink)
Jeremy!! I totally thought I was alone!!!

My wife is standing over me and neither os us can BELIEVE that there's someone besides us that loves PB&CBH.

I usually mix mine with the fresh, unsalted stuff from my local gourmet supermarket, and add a little salt before I mix it together in the skillet. Also, I usually stick with Mary Kitchen's low fat CBH. It's a TERRIFFIC mix.

write back!!! :)
bieger
Junior Burger
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/07/10 01:06:58 (permalink)
Hey there...I have it on a sandwich...no condiments. Just toast the bread a little and you're set!

If you try it, let me know me know what you think. I have to admit I was skeptical when I tried it, but it's quite good!

Jeremy
bieger
Junior Burger
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/07/10 01:12:51 (permalink)
That's really funny, because I always use the peanut butter that you mix yourself from the machines at the gourmet supermarket! The texture is just so much better that way. Where did you hear about PB&CBH?

Where is Ebbers, CT?

Jeremy
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/08/04 17:17:34 (permalink)
We went out for breakfast last Saturday at a small local cafe, and I was surprised and delighted to find corned beef hash on the menu. Of course I ordered it. Imagine my disappoinment when my plate arrived and it was *sigh* canned.

I guess I will have to wait for a trip up North to have some good corned beef hash.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6626
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/08/05 01:31:08 (permalink)
The Olde Irish Alehouse in Dedham, MA has great corned beef hash (I was the chef there for a year). We took the left over corned beef from Friday's boiled dinner and mixed it with spuds and onions for Sunday brunch. Served this crispy brown on both sides with your choice of eggs, accompanied by bangers and Irish bacon........Irish soda bread and raisin bread....homemade orange marmelade and Irish butter. It was pretty darn tasty!
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2293
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/08/27 00:45:45 (permalink)
In San Diego, you'll find great corned beef hash at D.Z. Akins.
fummunda
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/09/18 00:28:46 (permalink)
The best C.B.H. I've ever had was at...my house because I could cook it to my own picky specs. That said, I usually don't have much to say about chain restaurants these days but I have to put a plufg in for the hash at The Original Pancake House. The Kansas City one's been gone for several years but a while back we ate at the one in Bethesda Maryland and it was just as good as I remember it in KC. I just like the vibe at those places...the menu's an education in itself (enzymes in the pancake batter and they'll tell you why) and the food's just plain good, imho.
fummunda
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/09/18 00:32:03 (permalink)
Oh I plumb forgot...21 in New York (the classic ex-speakeasy with the little jockeys standing out front) has an absolutely standout CHICKEN hash. Kind of unexpected at an upscale place but it's definitely worth trying.
cunamara
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/10/02 09:58:41 (permalink)
Corned Beef Hash Trivia: In response to a probing talk show interviewer, Julia Child once admitted that her very favorite [closet] food was canned corned beef hash.
pennypincher
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/10/06 14:05:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by quest577

wow Michael...I must say that pic looks awesome. You know corned beef hash is good when it's got serious chunks of corned beef in it like that!

I thought the picture looked great also (Pasquals). So I went there
last week on a road trip.

Actually the picture is deceiving, the corn beef hash leaves a lot to be desired. I've had better corned beef hash out of a can.

It's not worth anywhere near the $11.95 they charge. It is worth
about $1.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/10/06 14:45:52 (permalink)
As Liketoeat said earlier, I am from the South and don't really understand Corn Beef Hash. Will someone, perhaps from Northern Climes, enlighten me as to what the definition of this dish actually is. Maybe we just don't have it, who knows.

I also see people (from the North, generally) referring to "Brunswick Stew"as a quintecential Southern dish, but I have never seen it being served any farther south than Birmingham. I like it, but always related it to Southern Appalachia, more than the traditional southern states.
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/10/06 15:25:51 (permalink)
Mayhaw, I have made roast beef hash many times using left over roast beef by frying some onions and potatoes, maybe a bell pepper, then adding chunks of the left over roast. I finish it by adding about a capful of Kitchen Bouquet browning sauce. As delicious as it is, it is just not the same as using corned beef, which is just not made much South of the Mason-Dixon line I guess.

I still look for it on the menus though!
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/10/06 16:22:16 (permalink)
Mayhaw Man: corned beef, roughly chopped. Cooked potatoes, ditto. Onions and peppers, ditto. Combine in a cast iron skillet and fry until browned and crusty. Serve for breakfast with eggs.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/10/06 16:45:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

As Liketoeat said earlier, I am from the South and don't really understand Corn Beef Hash. Will someone, perhaps from Northern Climes, enlighten me as to what the definition of this dish actually is. Maybe we just don't have it, who knows.

I also see people (from the North, generally) referring to "Brunswick Stew"as a quintecential Southern dish, but I have never seen it being served any farther south than Birmingham. I like it, but always related it to Southern Appalachia, more than the traditional southern states.

Mayhaw Man, you know that Louisiana is a world to itself, not a part of the South. Well, maybe the South spills over a little bit near the Alabama and Mississippi borders, and from Bunkie on north might as well be Arkansas--but the rest of Louisiana is wonderfully different and special. VIVA LA DIFFERENCE!!
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2293
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/10/06 19:14:33 (permalink)
I think Brunswick stew is a Virginia dish, originally made with squirrel.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6626
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/10/07 12:37:40 (permalink)
Good corned beef hash: take the left-over cooked corned beef brisket. Chop and combine with the left-over boiled potatoes, add a chopped onion. Put all in a cast-iron skillet with a little veg. oil and start the browning process. When it's nice and crisp on both sides, put into serving plates and top with two poached eggs.
The-Porcus
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/11/23 08:05:54 (permalink)
Dysart's Truck Stop near Bangor, Maine. Great with a side of home baked beans
bieger
Junior Burger
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/11/23 11:57:24 (permalink)
Ya'll just gotta try this with Peanut Butter...that's all I've got to say. There's even a restaurant in NYC that serves it this way now.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/11/23 16:33:36 (permalink)
quote:

Mayhaw---and all you folks of the southern persuasion---corned beef hash real is a treat and easy to make--you might want to "regionalize" it too---i make an "Okie Hash"----use barbecued brisket instead of corned beef and add some sweet potatos to the mix--not cooked to soft and diced along with the potato,onion,bell peppers and a bit of garlic-cook in a skillet till crispy and turn it over---make indentations inn the hash and drop in some eggs---add a tiny splash of liquid--i used Shiner bock last time--and cover till the eggs are cooked---i also make a sauce for it----half Head Country bbq sauce and half Mrs Renfros Peach salsa. Toss in a couple of bisquits and youve got a killer breakfast! I garuntee!
cunamara
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/12/06 09:23:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by elltea

In Berkeley, I find that the best corned beef hash is actually the "red flannel hash" at Rick and Anne's. Amazing! I lived in CT for a while and seem to remember seeing "red flannel hash" on diner menus there... is it a regional thing that I am lucky to find in California?

It's originally, and still is occasionally, referred to as "New England Red Flannel Hash," so at least it's origins seem regional. It gets its color by the simple addition of diced beets but, at least one scratch recipe I've seen calls for a small amount of milk as well(about 2-6 tbsp's per cup-and-a-half of corned beef). I'm not sure how well this variation works with various canned hashes but one not-so-well-known brand, Hereford's, would probably benefit from sweetness of the beets.
essvee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/12/06 12:17:30 (permalink)
I've mentioned this before in another CBH thread, but the best hash I've had was at the Miss Florence Diner in Florence, MA. They grind the ingredients instead of leaving them chunky. (I believe this is an old NE way of preparing hash; can anyone colloborate?) This leaves the stuff wickedly crispy on the outside and luxuriously creamy on the inside. They'd press big rounds of red onion into it and serve a great big plate-sized pancake of it. Good times.
scenicrec
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/12/27 00:48:23 (permalink)
The Full House Cafe in Oakland serves the best corned beef hash I've ever tasted. It contains huge flakes of still-juicy corned beef, some potato, some onion, fresh dill, and is served with a cup of horseradish cream on the side. They also have red flannel hash, mushroom hash, and sometimes poached salmon hash. Also, the Whistle Stop Cafe in Deep River, CT. has something they call a "Rustler's Benedict"- eggs benedict w/ corned beef hash in place of ham.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/12/27 05:33:02 (permalink)
quote:

I also see people (from the North, generally) referring to "Brunswick Stew" as a quintecential Southern dish, but I have never seen it being served any farther south than Birmingham. I like it, but always related it to Southern Appalachia, more than the traditional southern states.

I grew up in Appalachia and never saw Brunswick Stew served anywhere in the mountainous sections of Kentucky, West Virginia, SW Virginia or East Tennessee. But I've enjoyed it dozens of times in the piedmont and low country areas of Georgia and North Carolina where is is generally included in a barbeque dinner or served with cornbread.

The best Brunswick Stew I've eaten was at Harold's Barbecue in Atlanta. You can see excellent photos of Harold's stew in the Stern's review on this Web site. In fact Harold's may be the best Brunswick Stew served at any restaurant; it's certainly the meatiest I've found.

Zeb's in Danielsville, Georgia has very good Brunswick Stew as does Holcomb's Barbeque in White Plains. I also like the version served at Hot Thomas Barbecue in Watkinsville, Georgia.

To date, I haven't had very good Brunswick stew at North Carolina barbeque temples. The N.C. stew I've had usually seems overcooked and bland (Bullock's and Parker's). I generally leave it on my plate.

Really, Brunswick Stew is all over Georgia and North Carolina.

JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/12/27 06:42:13 (permalink)
Surely, there are places below the Mason Dixon line that serve up authentic corned beef hash. With so many northerners relocated to southern climes I'd think there would be pockets where people would demand favored dishes from home.

Atlanta, SE Florida, SW Florida and Charleston come to mind.

This thread (with its provocative photos) makes me feel like I've been missing out on something very good and I'm in a pout about it.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18258
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/12/27 10:44:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kangolpimp

If you are compromising by using canned corned beef hash, a good breakfast preparation is to open both ends of the can, and using your palm keep on tapping hard against the side of the can (may take a good 3 or 4 minutes) until it plops out whole onto a plate. Lay it sideways and cut into inch-thick patties. Fry these in a good amount of very hot oil, and you should achieve a perfect crust on both sides. In the event that it doesn't exit the can intact, simply shape into patties using your hands, then. It will still work. You can also cheat by frying the hash inside of a ring mold to maintain a perfectly round patty. I enjoy these topped with poached eggs and peppery cream gravy - a lowbrow Eggs Benedict!

I just open both ends, remove the top, turn the can over and push the hash right out with no problems. It stays together and can be sliced easily. No need to spend time tapping on the side and waiting for it to come out on its own.
DaveM
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/12/27 15:29:58 (permalink)
I want to also add the Deluxe Town Diner in Watertown,MA to the list.
Great homemade hash, as well as all breakfast foods.
Greek sausage also served.
This place does the little things right, like buttermilk and sourcream in the pancake mix, chunks of meat in the hash, and big thick french toast.
Only drawback is that when it gets crowded, you often have to wait outside-kinda cold here in New England in winter.
DaveM
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18258
RE: Corned beef hash 2003/12/27 16:53:33 (permalink)
The only place I know of in the Columbus area that serves corned beef hash is a place called the Grill and Skillet in Bexley. Several years ago Bob Evans began serving corned beef hash, but it was the worst tasting hash I've ever eaten. They removed it from the menu quickly.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Corned beef hash 2005/02/12 04:29:38 (permalink)
I love CBH. Many restaurants in the south have no clue what it is and I have no clue how to make it, so I have relied on the canned if I want some, or travel north or west from here.
Would anyone be willing to share a recipe, or continue naming restaurants that serve a god CBH?
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1