Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Corned beef hash

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 115
quest577

• Total Posts: 2
Corned beef hash Fri, 04/11/03 10:21 AM (permalink)
Hi all, I am new to the forum..and I can't speak for prior posts. But I would like to take this opportunity to open a discussion on my favorite breakfast food. Corned beef hash.
Any good reccomendations for corned beef has locations, recipes?
The best I've ever had was in Amherst, MA where I went to college. It was a small breakfast shop called Annies?....so good!

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
    RE: Corned beef hash Fri, 04/11/03 10:57 AM (permalink)
    I have had corned beef hash and I like, but unfortunately being from the South, we don't have that much down here. I have bought some of the canned stuff in the grocery store, but it is just not the same.

Michael Stern

RE: Corned beef hash Fri, 04/11/03 10:59 AM (permalink)
      One of the great places for corned beef hash is[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=6']The Laurel Diner[/url] just off I-84 between exits 14 and 15 in Connecticut. A bonus of eating there is that when you're done, you can drive just about five miles for donut dessert at Phillips Diner.

Out West, my favorite is in Santa Fe at [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1386']Pasqual's[/url]:

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7410
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Corned beef hash Fri, 04/11/03 11:02 AM (permalink)
        The best corned beef hash I've had were at the Blue Benn Diner in Bennington Vt and at Dot's Diner in Wilmington VT

quest577

• Total Posts: 2
          RE: Corned beef hash Fri, 04/11/03 11:56 AM (permalink)
          wow Michael...I must say that pic looks awesome. You know corned beef hash is good when it's got serious chunks of corned beef in it like that!

DaveM

• Total Posts: 353
            RE: Corned beef hash Fri, 04/11/03 5:00 PM (permalink)
            My favorite was also homemade at the Friendly Toast in Portsmouth,NH.
            I have been told that the turkey hash at Kelly's Diner in Somerville,MA is also homemade.
            DaveM

lvw

• Total Posts: 90
              RE: Corned beef hash Fri, 04/11/03 5:56 PM (permalink)
              DaveM,

I was just about to recommend the Friendly Toast!!!! That place is great! Good hash, Anadama bread and those buttery homefries...
              Good call!
              Lisa

susabelle

• Total Posts: 1
                RE: Corned beef hash Fri, 04/11/03 9:00 PM (permalink)
                Bette's Oceanview Diner in Berkeley has terrific corned beef hash!

Sundancer7

RE: Corned beef hash Fri, 04/11/03 9:08 PM (permalink)
                  I looked up the recipe for corned beef hash on Yahoo and I entend on doing it this next week. There are so many and I will do the best I can.

Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN

Willly

• Total Posts: 396
                    RE: Corned beef hash Sat, 04/12/03 11:14 AM (permalink)
                    Not quite corned beef, but great roast beef hash can be found at Wollensky's Grill in NYC. Served with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce, it's a bit high-brow, but excellent. The meat is the dry-aged cap from the rib steaks and prime rib its next door sister Smith and Wollensky sells...

brianh

• Total Posts: 21
                      RE: Corned beef hash Sun, 04/13/03 2:39 AM (permalink)
                      Good topic 577!
                      First off, I can't believe "jessicazee", a fellow Milwaukeean(?)
                      hasn't beat me to this.(By the way, she is batting a thousand on her recommendations so far!)

Anyways, there is a great place for corned beef hash here in Milwaukee that happens to be right next door to jessiczee's A+ rated Ozpies(Love that place!). The place of which I speak I speak is Benji's on Oakland Ave. in Shorewood.
                      Home made, great, neighborhood sit down deli.
                      http://www.mkemenus.com/menus/benjis/specialentree.html
                      Please try it if you are in our town!

rumbelly

• Total Posts: 235
                        RE: Corned beef hash Sun, 04/13/03 2:00 PM (permalink)
                        Last nights mashed potatoes mixed with fried onions, tinned Hereford corned beef all smushed up and panfried in a non-stick skillet till crispy brown. About 6 slices of buttered toast, H.P sauce and a cold beer. The only other thing you need after this is a nap.

elltea

• Total Posts: 21
                          RE: Corned beef hash Wed, 04/23/03 3:14 PM (permalink)
                          In Berkeley, I find that the best corned beef hash is actually the "red flannel hash" at Rick and Anne's. Amazing! I lived in CT for a while and seem to remember seeing "red flannel hash" on diner menus there... is it a regional thing that I am lucky to find in California?

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                            RE: Corned beef hash Thu, 04/24/03 2:28 PM (permalink)
                            Corned beef hash is my favorite eating breakfast out food and I have tried it in many places. Favorite if from Harners Bakery in North Aurora, Il. The bakery if wonderful but they have a full restaurant as well and a beautiful view of the Fox River. Even though we are a hour west of Chicago, the Harner family farms abd raises their own meat. The sausages, thick smoked bacon and the hash are out of this world.

Craig328

• Total Posts: 89
                              RE: Corned beef hash Sun, 05/11/03 4:08 PM (permalink)
                              Best Corned Beef Hash (also the best Scrapple) I ever had was at Zinn's Diner in Denver, PA. Think it's exit 21-22 on the PA Turnpike. Really good hash is hard to find especially since my wife and I moved to Florida. There's one small breakfast joint on Park Avenue in Lake Park that still makes hash the old fashioned way and not out of a can.

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
                                RE: Corned beef hash Tue, 05/13/03 1:58 PM (permalink)
                                Great place to have turkey hash is Charlies Sandwich Shop in Boston.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
                                  RE: Corned beef hash Mon, 06/9/03 1:00 AM (permalink)
                                  I third the corned beef hash at the Friendly Toast -- my wife and I make the hour's drive from Boston to Portsmouth about every three or four months to have breakfast there! Green eggs and ham with a side of hash is breakfast heaven.

My wife is also partial to the Almond Joy pancakes.

Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
                                    RE: Corned beef hash Tue, 06/10/03 11:16 AM (permalink)
                                    I've never had that much corned beef hash in restaurants, and that which I've had has not been that good, with the canned stuff from the grocery store being even poorer. Maybe this is because, like scbuzz, I'm from the South, and I guess its just not that popular down here and what is available isn't that good. Definitely the best corned beef hash I've ever had has been in various New England restaurants. That was good! However, I grew up with homemade roast beef hash and homemade turkey hash being extremely popular dishes, though never saw them served that much in restaurants; seemed to have been more of a home cooking thing. My dad and I could hardly wait for the main roast beef or turkey meals to be completed so that we could then get the hash for the next meal.

marky

• Total Posts: 104
                                      RE: Corned beef hash Tue, 06/10/03 11:49 AM (permalink)
                                      i am a corn beef hash junkie and ive been in all 50 states. if the c.b. hash is homemade i try it.you have not had the real thing if you havent been to harolds new york deli in edison nj. choice corn beef onions peppers and potatoes. bring a crowd it easily feeds three people and is far and away in class of its own

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                                        RE: Corned beef hash Tue, 06/10/03 12:20 PM (permalink)
                                        I too love corned beef hash, but being in the south, it is just not on the menu much.

I was really craving it with eggs, so I bought a can of the kind at the store. The checkout girl looked at it and said "are you really going to eat that?", my husband was dubious as well, but he ate it.

Anyone know where we can get some of the good stuff down here?

Roast beef hash is one of our favorites the next night or two after having a roast. If there is any left. I have three teenagers so the chances are slim.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
                                          RE: Corned beef hash Tue, 06/10/03 12:50 PM (permalink)
                                          It doesn't compare to something along the lines of what Michael has a picture of upthread, but you can do much better than canned corned beef hash by buying a can of corned beef (something that you'll find even in southern supermarkets, next to the Spam), frying up some potatoes with onions and peppers, and then throwing in the corned beef when the potatoes are nearly done, breaking the beef into threads with the spatula and frying the whole thing until it develops a nice crust on the bottom. There's so much water in canned hash that it'll never crust up the way you want it to.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
                                            RE: Corned beef hash Tue, 06/10/03 2:18 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

It doesn't compare to something along the lines of what Michael has a picture of upthread, but you can do much better than canned corned beef hash by buying a can of corned beef (something that you'll find even in southern supermarkets, next to the Spam), frying up some potatoes with onions and peppers, and then throwing in the corned beef when the potatoes are nearly done, breaking the beef into threads with the spatula and frying the whole thing until it develops a nice crust on the bottom. There's so much water in canned hash that it'll never crust up the way you want it to.

I use Mary Kitchen canned corned beef hash when I need a fix at home. I don't have any trouble at all getting a good crust on the hash.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                                              RE: Corned beef hash Tue, 06/10/03 5:14 PM (permalink)
                                              When we were kids, my mother used to spread a couple of cans in a baking dish (I suppose it was a 9x13), then make 4 deep indentions; into each she would crack a raw egg. She'd bake this until the eggs were done, and that would be dinner. I LOVED it.

Lone Star is right; you just can't hardly find it down here. So, when I have to have some, I either buy a can or go to IHOP (Ok, don't slam me for that, wanderingjew ).

Lucky Bishop, if you'll pre-heat an iron skillet, then plop the canned hash in there, you should be able to achieve the crust.

muzzlehatch

• Total Posts: 73
                                                RE: Corned beef hash Mon, 06/16/03 12:09 AM (permalink)
                                                I love corned beef hash, and have to say that even the cheap stuff out of the can does the trick for me! There aren't many things I'll eat out of a can, either. That said, best I've had yet might be that at the Farmer's Diner in Barre, Vermont, one of the best spots for breakfast I've ever experienced and a must-visit for the Sterns I would think. Everything homemade and almost everything grown in Vermont. Beef is all in-state, though I don't know who corns it. In any even, real shreds of thin-cut corned beef, good seasoned potatoes, green peppers....mmmmm.

Also great: Walker Brothers, Wilmette, IL.

paoconnell

• Total Posts: 71
                                                  RE: Corned beef hash Mon, 06/30/03 11:53 PM (permalink)
                                                  Best corned beef hash I've ever had: Shapiro's in Indianapolis. Made with chunks of the corned beef they use for their sandwiches.

TANFANRN

• Total Posts: 26
                                                    RE: Corned beef hash Tue, 07/1/03 1:49 AM (permalink)
                                                    I LOVE HASH, BUT UNFORTUNATELY HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANYTHING GOOD AROUND SOUTHERN MICHIGAN. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Michael Stern

RE: Corned beef hash Tue, 07/1/03 3:22 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by paoconnell

Best corned beef hash I've ever had: Shapiro's in Indianapolis. Made with chunks of the corned beef they use for their sandwiches.

This is good, too: a Shapiro's corned beef omelet :

... and here's a very juicy corned beef hash we just had at Up For Breakfast in Manchester, Vermont (review to follow):

Dr Bob

• Total Posts: 1
                                                        • Location: Rockville Centre, NY, NY
                                                        RE: Corned beef hash Wed, 07/2/03 12:21 PM (permalink)
                                                        Junior's Restaurant, Downtown Brooklyn,known for Cheesecake, is a great place for breakfast and home made corned beef hash. Sit at the front round counter for the true experience and enjoy the assortment of rolls, corn bread and mini-danish included with all breakfast specials.

kangolpimp

• Total Posts: 119
                                                          • Location: New York, NY
                                                          RE: Corned beef hash Fri, 07/4/03 3:14 PM (permalink)
                                                          If you are compromising by using canned corned beef hash, a good breakfast preparation is to open both ends of the can, and using your palm keep on tapping hard against the side of the can (may take a good 3 or 4 minutes) until it plops out whole onto a plate. Lay it sideways and cut into inch-thick patties. Fry these in a good amount of very hot oil, and you should achieve a perfect crust on both sides. In the event that it doesn't exit the can intact, simply shape into patties using your hands, then. It will still work. You can also cheat by frying the hash inside of a ring mold to maintain a perfectly round patty. I enjoy these topped with poached eggs and peppery cream gravy - a lowbrow Eggs Benedict!

Sundancer7

RE: Corned beef hash Fri, 07/4/03 3:21 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by kangolpimp

If you are compromising by using canned corned beef hash, a good breakfast preparation is to open both ends of the can, and using your palm keep on tapping hard against the side of the can (may take a good 3 or 4 minutes) until it plops out whole onto a plate. Lay it sideways and cut into inch-thick patties. Fry these in a good amount of very hot oil, and you should achieve a perfect crust on both sides. In the event that it doesn't exit the can intact, simply shape into patties using your hands, then. It will still work. You can also cheat by frying the hash inside of a ring mold to maintain a perfectly round patty. I enjoy these topped with poached eggs and peppery cream gravy - a lowbrow Eggs Benedict!

I have done something similiar to what you did except I put the can in the fridge and when it was cold, I opened it as you indicated, dipped in eggs, flour, soul food seasoning, onions and pepppers and deep fried it. I served it with eggs and has browns and my guest thought I was some type of NYC chef.

Paul E. Smith
                                                            Knoxville, TN

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 115

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com