Cornies Cheese Puffs???? Surely someone besides me????

Author
kevaxe2k2
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
2009/07/18 16:17:35 (permalink)

Cornies Cheese Puffs???? Surely someone besides me????

Used to LOVE these. Just your standard cheese puffs. They were called Cornies and were in a blue bag.  This was in the early 80's and I can't really say when they went away, probably in the 80s. Can't remember what company made them, but I think it was a bigger one because I remember of them being one of the variety of chips sold when we had fund raisers in school.

I can't find anything on the internet except for this: I remember as a kid loving a cheese snack
called ‘cornies’. The Kroger brand of Baked Cheese Curls is a product that is as good or better than the snack I remember for my childhood.

That was from some review site.

So, I'm not crazy. But stunned that I can't find anything on these. Haven't found a cheese puff that compares!
post edited by kevaxe2k2@wyan.org - 2009/07/18 16:22:23

5 Replies Related Threads

kevaxe2k2
    Hamburger
    Re:Cornies Cheese Puffs???? Surely someone besides me???? 2009/08/08 11:41:48 (permalink)
    Ok, maybe I AM crazy afterall!
    hardbook34
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Cornies Cheese Puffs???? Surely someone besides me???? 2011/08/18 20:34:09 (permalink)
    I just registered with Roadfood... I remember Cornies cheese puffs / snacks.  However, it was an all orange
    bag.
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    Re:Cornies Cheese Puffs???? Surely someone besides me???? 2011/08/19 09:24:49 (permalink)
    Kitty Clover made a cheese puff called Cornies in and around the greater Kansas City area up until the 1980s.  I used to get them when we would visit my relatives in SW Missouri.  I always thought "Kitty Clover" was the oddest name for a snack food company.  Guess they were just looking for something with the initials "KC."  The Kitty Clover snacks were not as good as the Guy's Snacks, IMO, which were also all over that area.
    wdslvr2
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Cornies Cheese Puffs???? Surely someone besides me???? 2011/11/04 09:25:32 (permalink)
    You are NOT crazy!  My favorite after school craving in high school in the 70's was to go to our local dairy bar and instead of ice cream would pick up a bag of Cornies and a Cherry Coke at least every week!  I've been searching the internet for the brand.  I kept thinking it was Jay's or something, but I vaguely remember later the brand was bought out by a another company and don't remember the name.  I'm wondering if it's Tom's as the package seems familiar.   Here is what I found, apparently in 1985 another company tried to trademark the name, but it was already registered to Borden....

On Thursday, March 14, 1985, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for CORNIES by , Dallas, TX 75206. The USPTO has given the CORNIES trademark serial number of 73527656. The current federal status of this trademark filing is CANCELLED - SECTION 8. The correspondent listed for CORNIES is   of BORDEN INC., 180 E. BROAD STREET, COLUMBUS, OH 43215 . The CORNIES trademark is filed in the category of . The description provided to the USPTO for CORNIES is BAKED CRISPY CHEESE FLAVOR CORN PUFFS AND CRUNCHY CRISPY CHEESE FLAVOR CORN PUFFS.

I also found out through foodtimeline.com that they were originally made by Culbro, DBA Snack Time Company commencing the Cornies brand out of Iowa originally and then distributing to midwest area in Feb. 1978.  They no longer exist and the brand  trademark has been cancelled.  :(

post edited by wdslvr2 - 2011/11/06 07:15:40
    kevaxe2k2
    Hamburger
    Re:Cornies Cheese Puffs???? Surely someone besides me???? 2011/11/04 22:58:45 (permalink)
    Wow that makes sense--as we have Borden products here (mostly dairy though, I think).  I can't remember having them much past the early 80s, not after elementary school.

Great info!  I may email Borden and see what else I can find out! :)

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1