The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Corporate games: Dunkin Donuts/Togo/Baskin-Robbin

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
Corporate games: Dunkin Donuts/Togo/Baskin-Robbin Tue, 12/13/05 2:32 AM (permalink)
quote:
Pernod sells Dunkin' Brands for $2.5B

By William Spain, MarketWatch
Last Update: 12:57 AM ET Dec. 13, 2005
(Editor's note: Updates to correct spelling error in headline.)

CHICAGO (MarketWatch) -- Pernod Ricard said Monday it has agreed to sell its Dunkin' Brands fast-food chains to a trio of private equity groups in a deal that will bring the French liquor company for almost $2.5 billion in cash. Bain Capital Partners, the Carlyle Group and Thomas H. Lee have agreed to buy the group, which includes Dunkin' Donuts, Baskin-Robbins and Togo's.

Earlier this year, Pernod acquired the restaurants in the sell-off and break-up of Allied Domecq, pieces of which also ended up with Fortune Brands. The company had put the Dunkin' Brands business on the auction block immediately upon completion of the Allied Domecq deal last summer.

Pernod said the proceeds of the private-equity deal would be used to pay down debt and allow it to focus exclusively on its wine and liquor brands, which include Stolichnaya and Chivas Regal. The sale is expected to close in the first quarter.

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
    RE: Corporate games: Dunkin Donuts/Togo/Baskin-Robbin Wed, 12/14/05 1:51 AM (permalink)
    What is Togo's?

trudyn

• Total Posts: 117
      RE: Corporate games: Dunkin Donuts/Togo/Baskin-Robbin Wed, 12/14/05 2:38 AM (permalink)
      The possesive of Togo?

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
        RE: Corporate games: Dunkin Donuts/Togo/Baskin-Robbin Wed, 12/14/05 9:49 AM (permalink)
        Togo's is a sandwich shop concept that never really got going around here. Baskin-Robbins is growing faster because DD has gotten franchised owners to add a B-R when DD stores are rebuilt. DD is based in Massachusetts, and especially strong in the Northeast. I am glad to see Bain, another Mass. based company take the lead in the takeover. You may all be hearing more about Bain, because it is Gov Romney's old company. Even though he is no longer part of it, his name will always be associated with it, much as our VP is often mentioned in the same breath as Halliburton. If our Guv runs for President, and he gets some traction, his record at Bain will be checked in great detail, as will his running of this state. I have NO inside info, but I would not be surprised to see a DD IPO within 3 to 5 years. They paid plenty, but if they pull off the promised growth plan, it will look cheap a few years down the road. An IPO would realize the gain. If not for the Krispy Kreme IPO fiasco, they might have been able to sell it off in an IPO now. IMO, DD was the most valuable part of Allied Domeq, but being a booze company, I think that Pernod was wise to sell DD after the merger. It makes Pernod more of a pure play on top shelf booze.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
          RE: Corporate games: Dunkin Donuts/Togo/Baskin-Robbin Wed, 12/14/05 3:50 PM (permalink)
          Way back wjen Togo's started up as a small chain. they actually made very good sandwiches---i used to go to their Santa Cruz Ca store all the time and they had a fabulous tuna sub. Their cold cut subs were filled with plenty of meats and good cheese---lots of fresh vegies---all in all it was a good sandwich---of course it has chamged hands a bunch since then and i havent been to one in a while---but as i said---they were good.---nut i would not think they could complete really well with the great independant sub shops in the northeast!

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
            RE: Corporate games: Dunkin Donuts/Togo/Baskin-Robbin Wed, 12/14/05 5:41 PM (permalink)
            When I worked in Emergency Room at a hospital in Oakland, Togo's seemed to be the preferred place for a late-night sandwich run by the staff. But when they tried to open a location across the street from my place in San Francisco, it flopped and got replaced by a Quiznos. I'm not a big fan of the latter and never tried the Togo's while it was open but I can only assume since the Quizno's is a success, the Togo's was pretty bad.

tmiles

RE: Corporate games: Dunkin Donuts/Togo/Baskin-Robbin Thu, 12/15/05 10:22 AM (permalink)
              To add to comments in this thread, I saw in the WSJ today that Quizno's is in play. Let the bidding begin. I will not be bidding, and I will not be eating much at Quizno's.

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                RE: Corporate games: Dunkin Donuts/Togo/Baskin-Robbin Mon, 12/19/05 12:23 AM (permalink)
                Thank you for answering my question.

I don't like Quizno's either, their sandwiches give me Cap'n Crunch Mouth.

tmiles

RE: Corporate games: Dunkin Donuts/Togo/Baskin-Robbin Mon, 12/19/05 12:58 PM (permalink)
                  This thread got me wanting a KK. I went Sunday AM, and it was about a 90 min round trip. As mentioned earlier, I could have gone to Butler's in just a little more time. Anyway, at 9AM on a Sunday there was no line, and the store was not busy. I have, in the past, seen long lines at that store on a Sunday AM. I got 6 orig glazed, hot, and they were,IMO, perfect. The 6 mixed other kinds that I got to fill the dozen were on the edge of stale. I did not get the traditional free donut. The clerk was professional in dress, and took my order fine, but she did not have the eager to please smile that I have seen at this store in the past. As I said she was not busy. Had I been her, and having the time, I'd have said something extra like, "I hope you enjoy them", or " thanks a lot, come again". The machine was pumping out the original glazed product, but with gaps in the line, with 5 feet of donuts, and then 5 feet of blank space, a way I suppose to match production to sales.
                  For me, the hot originals are still a treat. I hope that they can stay in business.

Wistah

• Total Posts: 205
                    RE: Corporate games: Dunkin Donuts/Togo/Baskin-Robbin Mon, 12/19/05 5:42 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by tmiles

This thread got me wanting a KK. I went Sunday AM, and it was about a 90 min round trip. As mentioned earlier, I could have gone to Butler's in just a little more time. Anyway, at 9AM on a Sunday there was no line, and the store was not busy. I have, in the past, seen long lines at that store on a Sunday AM. I got 6 orig glazed, hot, and they were,IMO, perfect. The 6 mixed other kinds that I got to fill the dozen were on the edge of stale. I did not get the traditional free donut. The clerk was professional in dress, and took my order fine, but she did not have the eager to please smile that I have seen at this store in the past. As I said she was not busy. Had I been her, and having the time, I'd have said something extra like, "I hope you enjoy them", or " thanks a lot, come again". The machine was pumping out the original glazed product, but with gaps in the line, with 5 feet of donuts, and then 5 feet of blank space, a way I suppose to match production to sales.
                    For me, the hot originals are still a treat. I hope that they can stay in business.

I just read in the paper last week that KK suddenly closed most or all of their Boston area locations.

tmiles

RE: Corporate games: Dunkin Donuts/Togo/Baskin-Robbin Tue, 12/20/05 9:11 AM (permalink)
                      Wistah, I went to the one in RI, near Tasca Ford. Maybe it was their last day?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com