Costco Apple Pie

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/08 16:19:04 (permalink)
While this thread was about Costco Apple Pie, I thinks it fair to say that Costco is part of "road food chain" because many mom & pop restaurants and great food joints buy many of their provisions from Costco. Also Costco is a great supporter of local businesses and frequently have take local products nationwide.

BTW, I always get their pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. Can't beat the taste or the price.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/09 12:02:47 (permalink)
It's just me an the mrs. at my house, so Costco is not an option.
I have been to Costco though and prefer the bakery at Wegman's. They just can't touch Wegman's when comparing quality.
As far as price, Costco baked goods are cheap and taste pretty good. Especially when you can get a decent large sheet cake for under $20.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/09 12:13:57 (permalink)
ScoreReader,
It's just Janet and I at home too...but it is kinda funny how fast the word gets out amongst the herd of kids and rabble of grandkids that the grandparents have made a Costco Run, and it's time to score on the goodies. I mean they are like the sharks sniffing blood, or the Vultures seeing the Lion at work !! Things they borrowed years ago seem to be found and returned within hours of our return from the big Warehouse !!
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/09 22:41:36 (permalink)
I did a Costco run today. They didn't have any gas. But there was a full complement of free sample people working inside.
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1601
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/09 22:51:59 (permalink)
I was the one who wrote a few weeks ago that one of my few complaints about Costco is that they do not carry skim milk. Low and behold I was in the Union NJ Costco this evening and they had skim milk! Maybe someone there reads this forum!

OK, another minor complaint. Why don't they stay open later. The ones in NJ close at 8:30 PM. Sometimes that's too late for me to be able to get there after work. So I go to Wal Mart instead, they are open until 10. I don't like to go to Costco on weekends because it's too crowded. ---Ken
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/09 23:46:28 (permalink)
I still have Kirkland brand undershirts that have lasted three times as long as Hanes brand ones.

The quality of their products really is wonderful. I no longer am a member, but I do miss a number of their products: their bakery cookies, poppy seed muffins, and wonderful whole bean coffee...ten times better, and cheaper than Starbuck's.

Scorereader, which Wegman's do you go to? My points of comparison are the ones in central New York, where my parents live, and I have to say, while the quality of their baked goods is overall fine, it doesn't match Costco quality, and certainly can't match the prices. The stuff always looks really good at Wegman's, though. I just never thought their bakery products matched the level of goods in their deli, butcher, and cheese sections.
arianej
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/10 00:03:34 (permalink)
Glad to hear the apple pie is a good bet! They're too huge to buy for just two people, unfortunately. Re: their other desserts, I've tried the All-American chocolate cake when they've demoed it, and it was pretty good.

And over Labor Day weekend, we bought one of their giant flans with caramel sauce--WOW. I highly recommend it, but it's very, very rich. 1/16th was more than enough for me.
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/10 12:08:03 (permalink)
Gordon, were they out of gas? Or don't have a station? Are there gas shortages going on because of Katrina?

On the Costco hours... they keep hours from 10 to 6 or 8 to keep costs down. Most traffic is from 10 am to early evening. Keeping the store open for a few customer isn't cost effective. Most of the Costco business model or system, it a balance of keeping costs to a minimum while maximizing customer satisfaction. They also are a real family oriented company and want their employees to be able to be home. This is a company that gives a loeav of absence up to 90 days (all paid) for maternity, or other family emergencies. They are the opposite of Walmart when it comes to employee relations.

Back to the pies! It's just the wife and me but we'll buy a pie and have a couple of large slices and then I'll take the pie to the office. It's gone in minutes. Same with the danish, cookies and muffins.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/10 19:38:39 (permalink)
Any place that the Mayor suggest is good, I will try.

Al knows his spots and he is always on target.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/10 20:10:31 (permalink)

Thanks for the points, Paul!!

And- Sandy/Joe- We get the baked goods too. We find that freezing the individual muffins works great for a late nite or after-work snack. We buy a couple of dozen and stick most of them into the freezer. The big carmel apple pies freeze well too. We cut them in quarters and tupperware them. Again, thawed with icecream they are outstanding.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/10 20:15:31 (permalink)
How are their pecan pies? That is my favorite for the fall. I anticipate traveling to Cincy for the JJ and the Costco.

Thanks for all the tips.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/11 21:12:51 (permalink)
Sandancer, as you know pecans and not cheap. Especailly whole ones which is what Costco pies are covered with. Their pecan pies are good also. I've made my own in the past, but you can't get the ingredients for what Costco sells them for. Personally, I only buy one of those when I have company or for a party... otherwise I'll eat the whole thing myself.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/11 22:00:44 (permalink)

The Pecan Pie is my absolute favorite Costco Bakery Product. It is as big as the Apple-Carmel or Berry. That makes it a 12 or 13 inch diameter As Sandy says they use Pecan halves not just pieces and chunks for the top layer. It is a thick(deep-dish)pie like the Apple...no 1/2 inch including crust on these guys. It's been a couple of years since we've had access to one of these beauties...but they were only $8.99 then.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/12 22:37:39 (permalink)
quote:
Gordon, were they out of gas? Or don't have a station? Are there gas shortages going on because of Katrina?

They have a station; just plain out of gas, for about 5 days now. They said they had some on Sunday, but sold right out. Must be Katrina....? All the local stations have gas.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/13 19:27:22 (permalink)
Tacchino,
now I go to Wegman's in Fairfax and Sterling, VA.
But I grew in Syracuse and the Wegman's I refer to for bakery is the newer or newly renovated ones like in Dewitt or Onondaga Ave.

When I grew up, the best grocery store bakery was at Williams in North Syracuse. (which was the best butcher, seafood and deli too)

Wegman's now hires real bakers and pastry chefs at all the new locations and newly renovated stores.
I agree that in days of old, the bakery never stood up to the deli and cheese sections, but that has changed at the mamouth stores they build now.

I liked the Costco cake I had, but I like Wegman's better. Certainly, the price at Costco is better. I mean geez, I think we paid $14.95 for an ENORMOUS sheet cake at Costco for a retirement party.
Willly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 396
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/13 21:00:14 (permalink)

Willly, I could staple that to my velvet Elvis and have a great display in my garage!!
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/13 21:37:36 (permalink)
I'm an art lover, but I'm embarrassed. Costco sells some good art at it's road shows, but a crayon work?
They are using that one for publicity... notice they don't advertise... it's word of mouth and an occassional thing like that to draw attention.

Al, do you really have a Velvet Elvis? Because I do in my office... for real. We love Elvis. So we have an Elvis shrine with his Velvet Picture and little lights and goodies to eat underneath.
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/13 23:40:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

Tacchino,
But I grew in Syracuse and the Wegman's I refer to for bakery is the newer or newly renovated ones like in Dewitt or Onondaga Ave.

When I grew up, the best grocery store bakery was at Williams in North Syracuse. (which was the best butcher, seafood and deli too)

Wegman's now hires real bakers and pastry chefs at all the new locations and newly renovated stores.
I agree that in days of old, the bakery never stood up to the deli and cheese sections, but that has changed at the mamouth stores they build now.

I liked the Costco cake I had, but I like Wegman's better. Certainly, the price at Costco is better. I mean geez, I think we paid $14.95 for an ENORMOUS sheet cake at Costco for a retirement party.

Scorereader, was Williams on N. Salina Street? I have great memories of going to the Italian bakeries and restaurants there when I was young.

I agree with you about the quality at the DeWitt Wegman's..definitely very high, in all categories!

Still, I love Costco with its quality relative to price...a real bargain in the bakery, as well as other departments.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/14 09:54:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tacchino

quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

Tacchino,

Scorereader, was Williams on N. Salina Street? I have great memories of going to the Italian bakeries and restaurants there when I was young.

I agree with you about the quality at the DeWitt Wegman's..definitely very high, in all categories!

Still, I love Costco with its quality relative to price...a real bargain in the bakery, as well as other departments.

Tacchino, Williams was a grocery store in North Syracuse (not northern syracuse). It was bought by Peter's and was on S. Main St. (rt. 11) in North Syracuse. It's across from Sweetheart Corner, where Sweetheart Grocery and CVS used to be. Now Sweetheart Corner is an Eckerds.

You may be remembering some Northside italian bakeries which were fantastic. Which is why I limited my enthusiasm for William's as "the best 'grocery store' bakery."

Here's some northside (now called "Little Italy") favorites:

Columbus Bakery (hot fresh italian breads) ( on Pearl St.) - Frommer's actually called this place an "attraction" in Syracuse calling it "right out of 'Moonstruck.'"

Community Bakery (on Butternut St.)

Ragusa (on Lodi St.)

And some other good ones not on the Northside:

Harrisons (on W. Genesee St.)

Patrician's Snowflake (on E. Fayette)

Geddes Bakery (which isn't in Geddes anymore, it's actually on, S. Main St in North Syracuse)

and Bella Bakery (which also moved from the original northside lacation to Baldwinsville)

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/14 10:04:45 (permalink)

Sorry, Sandy, I was just joking! Anytime my wife decides to add something 'cultural' to a wall here or there I make fun of getting a Velvet Elvis and Spanish Dancing Girl(topless) to add to the collection for the garage.
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Costco Apple Pie 2005/09/14 10:17:54 (permalink)
quote:
Hey! That is my 5 year old grandson's drawing..........how did Costco ever get it?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1