Costco Now Sells Barbecue Baby Backs!!!

Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6313
2008/07/31 22:48:28 (permalink)

Costco Now Sells Barbecue Baby Backs!!!

Just came from a sneak peek of the grand opening of our Local Costco's new location...they've moved into new digs..and went from one of the smaller warehouses to(we are told) one of the largest anywhere..gas station($3.67 a gallon) It was a black tie affair(the Costco Employees were wearing black tie and serving all the food we could eat...gourmet cheeses(Stilto with Apricots from Englands ,beef roast chicken every cake imaginable etc....
BUT,I digress...along with the rotisserie chicken this new branch sells fresh store made baby back ribs...or will have them starting tomorrow....not the prepackaged stuff the old location had, but barbecued on premises... The old location never had them. My question: Does anyone have a Costco that sells these store made baby back ribs...and are they any good???We'd like to give them a try...we may go back for the Grand Opening tomorrow and I'm thinking of giving them a shot....Any reviews?

13 Replies Related Threads

KonaErnie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 356
    RE: Costco Now Sells Barbecue Baby Backs!!! 2008/08/01 15:10:28 (permalink)
    My first post We have had them here at the Costco in Kona Hawaii for a few years. Not the greatest baby backs in the world. Small portion but the ribs are meaty. Sauce isn't the best either. Kind of expensive too (paid $14 for a rack a few weeks ago). I prefer to just buy their package of spare ribs and do them on my smoker. More bang for the buck if you ask me.
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Costco Now Sells Barbecue Baby Backs!!! 2008/08/01 15:31:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by KonaErnie

My first post We have had them here at the Costco in Kona Hawaii for a few years. Not the greatest baby backs in the world. Small portion but the ribs are meaty. Sauce isn't the best either. Kind of expensive too (paid $14 for a rack a few weeks ago). I prefer to just buy their package of spare ribs and do them on my smoker. More bang for the buck if you ask me.

I have to say I have also had Costco ribs here in Scottsdale, nothing special as far as I am concerned. I'm with Ernie, just grab a rack and smoke them yourself if you have the equipment, or find a smoke house in your area that you like and buy them already smoked. May be a bit pricier, but you get what you pay for.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Costco Now Sells Barbecue Baby Backs!!! 2008/08/01 15:42:48 (permalink)

Lee,
    We had them on a regular basis at the store near us in SoCal (Victorville,CA). At the store here in Louisville they have had them now and then (no advanced notice) put out with the Rotesserie Chickens. They were pretty good when we tried them a few times in SoCal, but haven't purchased them here in Louisville...Too many real BBQ stands around for that !

Ernie,
    Welcome to Roadfood. The quality and pricing are about the same here as the numbers you gave. Since we can buy a full rack of ribs for about the same price at a number of local places here we haven't done the Costco Ribs. Now if Costco put them at the SnackBar I might consider them for my post-shopping snack break!!
    catherines
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Costco Now Sells Barbecue Baby Backs!!! 2008/08/01 15:47:40 (permalink)
    Hi - where is this Costco located.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Costco Now Sells Barbecue Baby Backs!!! 2008/08/01 17:20:20 (permalink)
    If you're talking to me...the new location is on Rt. 70 in Brick, across from Lowe's!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    RE: Costco Now Sells Barbecue Baby Backs!!! 2008/08/01 17:47:33 (permalink)
    As of last weekend, they were not doing them in the East Plano (Dallas) location. I'll enquire if they have plans to do them. Thanks for the tip, Lee.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Costco Now Sells Barbecue Baby Backs!!! 2008/08/01 19:54:08 (permalink)
    Just came back from the first day at the new Costco's. I looked at the ribs and decided against them...just didn't look like what I wanted...but they had a road show demo on exotic cheeses and olives, so I bought some Italian salami and their hot wings and some wine and their delicious Baguettes...and we're having a wine and cheese party instead!!!
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Costco Now Sells Barbecue Baby Backs!!! 2008/08/02 17:14:13 (permalink)
    Lee - they'll be meaty, but without much flavor because they are not smoked. I think the price is good and it's easy and all done for you. But, they are not legitimate bbq ribs.

I use to like Sams Club's version with their brown sugar glaze. No, they were not smoked. Now, they've changed from cooking them on their own to using a pre-cooked brand and heating them.. They are terrible.

I've reluctantly accepted any decent ribs made in places like Fresh Market because I don't want to bother cooking them myself. The meat is tasty and hopefully tender, but they are not legitimate BBQ ribs. I still like any ribs though.
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    RE: Costco Now Sells Barbecue Baby Backs!!! 2008/08/02 17:44:44 (permalink)
    Costco Ribs rank up there in the top 10 worst I have eaten.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: Costco Now Sells Barbecue Baby Backs!!! 2008/08/02 23:19:28 (permalink)
    My part of the country has had them for several years as well. They are OK in a pimch but they are expensive. They charge by the pound but they add a big tub of sauce in there price too. Now that we have an actual BBQ joint in town I can get a full rack dinner for about 3 bucks more. These are done with hickory as well. Not just rotisire baked as Costco does.

I can do my own in about 5 hoursin the BBQ. If i'm pressed for time they'll spend about 2 hours in the smoker and then finish in the oven.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Costco Now Sells Barbecue Baby Backs!!! 2008/08/02 23:59:17 (permalink)
    I agree with those who'd rather smoke their own--generally! Right now we're about to enter our third week of 100°+ weather, and there ain't no way I'm going to do any outdoor cooking. I'd try Costco if there weren't some ± decent places to get them here.
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Costco Now Sells Barbecue Baby Backs!!! 2008/08/04 00:24:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

I agree with those who'd rather smoke their own--generally! Right now we're about to enter our third week of 100°+ weather, and there ain't no way I'm going to do any outdoor cooking. I'd try Costco if there weren't some ± decent places to get them here.

It was 109 today, and I did some of the best ribs ever. All I got to do is get them on the smoker, keep an eye on my digital remote therostat and go out once an hour to spritz em down with a little apple cider.

I'd spend a hell of a lot more time in the heat going back and forth to Costco for vastly inferior ribs. To me, it's a no brainer.

John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Costco Now Sells Barbecue Baby Backs!!! 2008/08/05 17:17:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Baah Ben

Lee - they'll be meaty, but without much flavor because they are not smoked. I think the price is good and it's easy and all done for you. But, they are not legitimate bbq ribs.

I use to like Sams Club's version with their brown sugar glaze. No, they were not smoked. Now, they've changed from cooking them on their own to using a pre-cooked brand and heating them.. They are terrible.

I've reluctantly accepted any decent ribs made in places like Fresh Market because I don't want to bother cooking them myself. The meat is tasty and hopefully tender, but they are not legitimate BBQ ribs. I still like any ribs though.

Baah Ben,

You have two very good butcher shops near you, Gaff's and Ray's. A friend tell me that one of them (I think Ray's) sells homemade BBQ that is very good. Give them a try and let us know.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1