Costco vs Sams

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
jellybear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1135
2006/07/27 22:17:12 (permalink)

Costco vs Sams

We are getting a Costco here ,its opening tommorow and I would like to know what to expect in the food department compared to Sams club.What is the Deli like and how much higher are the prices compared to Sams.Thanks.

88 Replies Related Threads

jjjrfoodie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 01:00:21 (permalink)
    I belong to Costco, but have several friends that do Sams and hence I shop there too.
    I feel Costco is a little higher quality in the meat and perishable food area.
    The rest is a crap shoot.

Good luck.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6658
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 01:35:04 (permalink)
    The thing we like about Costco is that their quality is unsurpassed. Meat is restaurant quality. Unfortunately, their supply of items is not always consistant. Went there the other day, no mushrooms, no asparagus. Sometimes there's no prosciutto. OH NO!
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1508
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 02:22:51 (permalink)
    I usually find better deals on meat at the supermarkets, vs. Costco or Sams...
    Costco has decent deals on other items, but service wise, Costco has it all over Sams.. Sams is staffed locally by the biggest bunch of illiterate incompetents I've ever seen.. As a Special Olympics volunteer, I can safely say that my kids there have far more on the ball than the supposedly normal grownups at Sams.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5408
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 02:47:28 (permalink)
    Only been to Sam's once, we liked Costco much better. Meat is execellent but you buy in bulk. Can be pricey because of that. Give it a try.

MikeS.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 07:19:40 (permalink)
    Mrs. Oneiron is Costco's #1 customer due to the film and photoshop, but I tag along maybe once a week to check out the deals. Their meats and grocery items are very good in quality and appearance and value. The spinach salads, pizza, chicken pies, etc. are often brought home with us. I usually buy my meats for BBQ and smoking at Costco. Their employees are more knowledgeable and helpful also - at least here in Kennesaw, GA.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 07:31:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

The thing we like about Costco is that their quality is unsurpassed. Meat is restaurant quality. Unfortunately, their supply of items is not always consistant. Went there the other day, no mushrooms, no asparagus. Sometimes there's no prosciutto. OH NO!

Lleechef: I suggest you try this site for prosciutto. I have stopped there several times and Al and Janet was with me when Al bought a nice portion of their proscuitto. Al would not share very much with us but he did give us a small bite. I assure you it is very good. Mr. Benton told us that it was aged close to 18 months. They ship. In addition, their country hams are super. I was tempted to try their smoked bacon.

Fred Sauceman has all the info you need on the link.

http://www.gotricities.com/content/article.dna?idnumber=031125150227

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 08:34:13 (permalink)
    Here in CT, we have Costco, Sams and BJ's. Costco, IMO, is head and shoulders over the others. Clean, staffed with very competent persons and well-laid-out. Meats are first-class. Even though you buy larger packages, the price per pound if 9 times out of 10 considerably better than supermarkets. Excellent NY Strips and briskets! And the best rotisserie chicken around (at the best per pound price). Great deals on pet foods, books, clothing, etc., etc.

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3449
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 10:28:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

Meat is execellent but you buy in bulk. Can be pricey because of that.

Isn't buying in bulk the entire point of shopping at a warehouse club?
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 11:06:26 (permalink)
    A few people have commented on the superior quality of the staff at Costco, as compared to those at Sam's Club. This makes me wonder if the personnel policies/wages/benefits at Sam's Club are the same as those at Wal-Mart. If so, that might explain a few of the differences that have been observed.

Costco has been named by several publications as one of the better employers to work for. That could explain the more competent help at Costco. You know the old saying--"A happy employee is a good employee".

And, I think that we all know about the wages/benefits offered by Wal-Mart. So--does anyone know if Sam's Club employees are compensated in a similar fashion to Wal-Mart's employees? If so, that could explain what has been observed. I like good prices, but I tend to avoid patronizing employers who are not very considerate to their workers.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6658
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 11:11:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Lleechef: I suggest you try this site for prosciutto. I have stopped there several times and Al and Janet was with me when Al bought a nice portion of their proscuitto. Al would not share very much with us but he did give us a small bite. I assure you it is very good. Mr. Benton told us that it was aged close to 18 months. They ship. In addition, their country hams are super. I was tempted to try their smoked bacon.

Fred Sauceman has all the info you need on the link.

http://www.gotricities.com/content/article.dna?idnumber=031125150227

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Thanks Sundancer. I do remember that Al and Janet bought prosciutto here. Thanks for the link, I will have to order some.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 14:02:32 (permalink)
    I belong to both, going to give up the Sam's membership though. The Costco in my area dosen't have a full service deli, but the pre sliced pakaged product is very good. Costco sells caskets also. Talk about full service, cradle to grave. Chow Jim
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 14:10:46 (permalink)
    We do not have a Costco in Knoxville although we have several Sam's. They have upgraded the appearance of these and they needed it as they were dark and dank.

I cannot compare although Sam's is OK but I rarely shop there as I do not do volume shopping.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 14:18:07 (permalink)
    Tedbear, I think it goes almost without saying that you are absolutely right about what Sam's Club employees get in terms of wages and benefits as opposed to CostCo.

As I boycott WalMart, so do I boycott Sam's. Costco all the way.
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 16:55:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tedbear

Costco has been named by several publications as one of the better employers to work for. That could explain the more competent help at Costco. You know the old saying--"A happy employee is a good employee".

From www.buyblue.org
    quote:
    By STEVEN GREENHOUSE, New York Times

Costco's average pay, for example, is $17 an hour, 42 percent higher than its fiercest rival, Wal-Mart's Sam's Club. And Costco's health plan makes those at many other retailers look Scroogish. One analyst, Bill Dreher of Deutsche Bank, complained last year that at Costco "it's better to be an employee or a customer than a shareholder."
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 17:31:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tedbear

And, I think that we all know about the wages/benefits offered by Wal-Mart. So--does anyone know if Sam's Club employees are compensated in a similar fashion to Wal-Mart's employees? If so, that could explain what has been observed. I like good prices, but I tend to avoid patronizing employers who are not very considerate to their workers.

About 70% of Costco stores are unionized, and even in the stores that aren't, the employees are paid comparably with comparable benefits. Costco gets it. Wal-Mart does not.
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 22:23:04 (permalink)
    Yeah, I don't go to Wal-Mart, Sam's or Lowe's (the hardware store, also part of the Wal-Mart empire.) Costco rates very highly for their employee's satisfaction. They have great products- the only meat I've bought there is the rotisserie chickens and portabella-stuffed flank steak, both of which were very, very good. Their lunch meat is really good, too, even the ham, and I'm not a fan of lunch meat-type ham.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 22:36:42 (permalink)

We were members of Costco for years in SoCal. We don't have one in Louisville so we let the membership expire in 2000. Last year we rejoined to be able to use the Cincinnati stores...but they are over 100 miles away and that just isn't worth the membership fee to us...Although we love the foods and meat available (and books). If they open in Louisville as they claim they will, we will rejoin.
    We do not do Sam's.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5408
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 23:24:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by felix4067

quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

Meat is execellent but you buy in bulk. Can be pricey because of that.

Isn't buying in bulk the entire point of shopping at a warehouse club?

Yes it is, but a hunk of ribeye can cost you 70 - 100 bucks. Ribeye steaks at 8.99 or 9.99 a lb last week, 2 steaks were 30 bucks. Although those 2 steaks would feed 4 easily.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5047
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/28 23:29:08 (permalink)
    There is no contest between Costco and Sam's.
    COSTCO! COSTCO! COSTCO! Three cheers for COSTCO!
    Tedbear
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/29 07:52:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by abe_froeman

Yeah, I don't go to Wal-Mart, Sam's or Lowe's (the hardware store, also part of the Wal-Mart empire.) Costco rates very highly for their employee's satisfaction. They have great products- the only meat I've bought there is the rotisserie chickens and portabella-stuffed flank steak, both of which were very, very good. Their lunch meat is really good, too, even the ham, and I'm not a fan of lunch meat-type ham.

Could you point me toward some information regarding your claim that Lowe's is a part of the "Wal-Mart empire"? I follow business fairly closely, as a result of reading Business Week from cover to cover every week for the past 15 years or so, and I am unaware of any connection between the two. I also read Smart Money and Kiplinger's each month, and have never seen a scintilla of evidence of what you have stated. If your statement is accurate, it has certainly never been covered in those publications during the time period that I have been reading them.

On what do you base this statement? If I am wrong about there being no connection between the two, then I humbly apologize. If you are incorrect, I believe that you should acknowledge that. Spreading incorrect information is damaging to both people and to businesses!

So--in what way is Lowe's a part of the "Wal-Mart empire"?
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/29 09:36:27 (permalink)
    I had subscriptions to Costco and BJs on LI but stopped Costco a while ago and stayed with BJs.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/29 10:16:51 (permalink)
    NO WAY Lowes is part of Wal-Mart. Where are you getting your information?
    Tedbear
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/29 10:56:32 (permalink)

Abe Foeman--Are you there?

Signman and I (and perhaps some others) are awaiting an explanation of the connection that you claim exists between Lowe's & Wal-Mart.

Since the two companies have separate stock issues, separate headquarters, and separate boards of directors, I find your statement...curious.
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/29 10:56:52 (permalink)
    Re the bulk meat issue at Costco, the store near me sells very large pices of meat AS WELL AS more modest portions. For example, one can buy a package of 6 NY Strips. Same with Ribeyes. Brisket is available in packages of 1. Italian sausage is a large package but they're perfect for freezing. Again, superior price per lb compared with supermarkets. And excellent quality.
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/29 11:33:42 (permalink)
    I shop at COSTCO but I invest in Wal-Mart ................Shares of Wal-Mart, priced below $45, are a sound investment.
    Tedbear
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/29 12:39:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

I shop at COSTCO but I invest in Wal-Mart ................Shares of Wal-Mart, priced below $45, are a sound investment.

Perhaps not as good as it used to be. Their business model has been a failure in South Korea and...Germany, I believe. I read just this week that they have sold off their stores in those two countries (At least I believe that the European country in question was Germany. I could be mistaken about which European nation was mentioned.)
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/29 13:37:22 (permalink)
    Jeez, people, RELAX! I didn't mean to get your undies in a bunch. That's just what I heard when they first started putting Lowe's in the Chicago area a few years ago. I just emailed Lowe's customer service to see if they are or have ever been associated with Wal-Mart. I'll report back when I hear from them.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/29 15:04:47 (permalink)
    Last I knew, Lowe's was originally associated with K-Mart, NOT Wal-Mart. I don't believe they were ever a subsidiary of anyone, though...or at least that is what one is led to believe from their company history on their website.

Edit...OK, I'm bored, it's too hot to do anything but sit here in front of the fan...I did some research.

Based purely on the fact that Wal-Mart was founded in 1962 with its first store in Arkansas and Lowe's went public in 1961 (having been actually founded "in North Carolina more than 60 years ago"), I'm going to go with:

No, they are not a part of Wal-Mart.
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Costco vs Sams 2006/07/31 08:51:00 (permalink)
    Ok, we can all go back to shopping at Lowe's guilt-free. They are not associated with Wal-Mart.

Now to hunt down the person who told me that many years ago
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1