Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6193
Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs 2011/05/09 16:09:03 (permalink)
Yes,Costco said Thumann's is a seasonal product..and it's available again. I noticed the other day,they had the Hebrew National brand again,near the Kirkland brand...food court still dishes out the inferior Kirkland dog,,,The $1.50 dog and drink is just a bit less a deal with the Kirkland dog!!!!!
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2326
Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs 2011/05/16 12:05:12 (permalink)
"Last time I was in the Union Costco they still had Hebrew National. I've never had the Kirkland brand. Despite reading the positive things Costco has said about their hot dogs (Kirkland) in the past, I would bet my reaction would be similar to leethebard's. I hope they don't replace Hebrew National here in Union."

And I would have lost that bet. My wife was in the Union Costco last week and told me that the Hebrew National franks were replaced by Kirkland. I went yesterday to sample one. I would have been surprised to discover that I actually liked this frank, but after reading Screenbears comments, I suspected that I might like it as our tastes in hot dogs are similar.

The frank was as he described; Eastern style beef dog that is fairly well seasoned with a slight smokiness. It was good in my opinion. On the same level as Hebrew National though if pressed I might pick Hebrew National. The Kirkland is a quality dog made with choice beef and a good spicing. Juicy enough and served hot. In the past the Hebrew National dogs were prepared in water while the buns were steamed. Yesterday my dog was taken out of a steamer box and was already wrapped in foil. The only negative was that the bun was overly steamed and stuck to the dog. Overall a good beef dog and an acceptable substitute for Hebrew National. The size is similar though Costco says it is slightly bigger than the HN. They also sell these dogs to prepare at home. I forget the price, but it was very reasonable; less than $3.00 per pound. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and taste of this dog.

Costco also sells Thumann's at a great price. 17 something for 5 lbs. Unfortunately I would be the only one in my house eating these as everyone else in the Fox house only eats beef dogs. And not as frequently as I do.
post edited by John Fox - 2011/05/16 12:07:52
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs 2011/05/16 22:37:32 (permalink)
  Too bad the hot dog/food concession is indoors at Costco in Union. You need to have a membership card.
   If it were outdoors as it is in San Diego, it'd be a lot of fun to make it a stop on the hot dog tour. Quick service, great price, and, if someone on the tour needs a drum of mayonnaise and a 4 tires, they could get that, too.
    I mean, in San Diego, and this happily isn't meant as an insult, it is arguably the best frankfurter in the city, and it's a fun atmosphere as well.  Who doesn't want to eat a great dog while saving lots of money?
The Bear
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs 2011/05/20 12:14:18 (permalink)
I tagged along with a friend to his local COSTCO, mostly to see what hot dogs they were selling. In their processed meats section, I found the Kirkland Beef Dinner Franks. The packaging boasted they were the same franks sold in the snack bar. The USDA label indicated they were made by J & B Sausage in Weimar, TX. I then bought one in the snack bar. I had the same experience as John Fox; it was already wrapped in foil and stored in a steamer box. I tried it and thought it was pretty good, but not as good as Hebrew National. It was the first time for my friend; he also did not like it as much as the Hebrew National. He asked someone working there what was up with the hot dogs. The employee replied they recently converted and he used to love the Hebrew Nationals but doesn't eat the new ones himself anymore. The new ones remind me of Budweiser - not the greatest beer out there, but one most people would not demand their money back for. COSTCO's taste tests were probably legit; they picked a formula they thought most people would eat. I didn't see John Fox's most recent comments before going to COSTCO, but my other impressions are similar to his.

But ScreenBear's glowing review of the franks consumed in San Diego, CA was nagging at me. So I did a little digging. Remember when COSTCO was going on about the kosher meat shortage and the shut down of Best Kosher? What they didn't tell you was that they own and operate a meat processing plant in Tracy, California and were already adding a hot dog processing facility to the building. I found the information on page 5 of the May, 2011 edition of Costco Today, a house organ for COSTCO employees:
http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/49263/92530/pub/
The article on page 5 states the operation in Tracy is already up and running and will eventually supply all food courts in the US. So, could ScreenBear have been eating one of the Tracy-produced franks and not one of the Weimar-produced franks?

At the COSTCO, I asked the counterperson if they were using the same franks sold back in the meat section. He just gave me a blank stare and a shrug. So, hard to tell what they are supplying in any given COSTCO at any given point in time without dumpster diving. The plant number for Tracy is 15832. While digging, I found a lot of articles about the extraordinary food safety procedures they use there. I guess they don't trust ground beef and hot dog production to the usual e.coli purveyors any more.
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2326
Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs 2011/05/20 12:38:52 (permalink)
Wow! Great job David. I asked the woman serving me why Costco switched. She didn't know (which I figured) but did say that she preferred the Kirkland frank. Then she told me it might be because she's pregnant!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10093
Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs 2011/05/20 13:54:58 (permalink)
ScreenBear 
Too bad the hot dog/food concession is indoors at Costco in Union. You need to have a membership card. 
 The Bear

I don't think that is correct. Here in AZ, if you tell the gatekeeper that you're just going to the Snack Bar, they let you in. The Snack Bars in the stores here are near the door and don't require going into the shopping area on the other side of the registars. Try it next time you go.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs 2011/05/20 18:39:59 (permalink)
Back on April 1st, leethebard wrote:
leethebard

Our Costco here in Brick, NJ just got the dogs I've heard about on this site...Hebrew National Umbrellas at the food court gone and replaced by "Kirkland" ones also. I'll try any new dog once, so I bought the $10 bundle.......I'll agree with those who hate them...they're like a greasy cheap brand...hard skin.....no taste...oh and the orange grease that came out of them when I grilled a bunch...my family won't eat them. .................
']                                                                                                      Lee

I know about orange grease. I did not buy the retail bundle that Lee did, but the one I had at the snack bar did not have any orange grease. I guess I would have had to ask for a uncooked frank with bun and then grilled it myself to see how the dog behaves cooking it like Lee did.

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1587
Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs 2011/06/07 09:17:07 (permalink)
Tried my first Kirkland dog yesterday at the Costco in Edison NJ. My verdict: Not so good. It was way too salty, that seemed to be my overwhelming sensation while eating it. And I didn't like the texture either, kind of mushy.  I don't agree with John and Screenbear at all on this one, although usually when they like a particular hot dog, I do too. Back to the Chicken Bake for me.
bchbumwnabe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs 2011/06/14 11:30:30 (permalink)
I'm looking to buy what in Pa they call weiners ( a short fat hot dog). Anyone know how I can get them in Fl?
rjb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 451
Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs 2011/06/14 11:42:35 (permalink)
You can get them online from Nueske's in Wisconsin.  Very good, as is their bacon.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1