Costco's new dogs

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6175
2009/02/27 17:54:16 (permalink)

Costco's new dogs

Due to production limitations Kosher Best has stopped production, as you know, that's sad news, however Kirkland, Costco's brand, is going to do a 1/4 lb. dog withh no filler, all beef etc. I haven't seen them yet except in their monthly magazine I got today, they sound great. Anyone got them yet in your Costco? How's the taste, snap, etc.?

45 Replies Related Threads

firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/02/27 18:50:08 (permalink)
    I have not had them yet, but I have not had a bad Costco product yet, so I can't wait.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6202
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/02/27 19:42:52 (permalink)
    Our Costco's main hotdog is Hebrew National!!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/02/27 20:05:18 (permalink)
    Our Costco Snack Bar had a new Dog in place of the Polish Dog I have ordered for a decade. I was not impressed. I didn't note the brand, but will next time I head over there.
    John Fox
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/02/27 20:41:04 (permalink)
    My local Costco serves Hebrew National. Over on Cowhound it was posted that all Costco's will be switching to Kirkland's own beef dog. Many have already made the switch. The overwhelming majority are disapointed in the Kirkland dog and prefer Hebrew National or Sinai 48.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1588
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/02/27 21:28:54 (permalink)
    My only complaint about the current Hebrew National Dog at the NJ Costcos is that it's too fat, I prefer a longer thinner dog.

Since that's the way the new dog is described in the Costco Mag, I am looking forward to it. But from what I am reading here, I'm ready to be disapointed.

Interesting, until I read it today, I didn't realize the Hot Dog and Pizza prices have not changed at Costco since the 1980's. That's pretty amazing, even for Costco. 
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/02/27 22:27:42 (permalink)
    Gee...too bad.... things are tough all over.

I've always considered the Hebrew National hot dog at Costco the best frankfurter deal in town, a great marketing ploy and a superb goodwill gesture to customers. Guess I won't be going to Costco...that is, unless I need a 30 lb. jar of mayonaisse.

Anyone have any idea who makes the Kirkland dog for Costco? Better yet, how much less per dog will it be saving them?

The Bear

markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/02/28 09:48:06 (permalink)
    Here is the article
    New dog in town
    FRANCE FREEMAN
    The arrival of the new Kirkland Signature™ ¼ Pound Plus all-beef hot dog at
    Food Courts in many parts of the country has prompted Costco members to ask
    what happened to the kosher hot dog they’ve been eating for years, and the
    bigger question: Why did Costco mess with something that wasn’t broken—or was it?
    Worldwide in 2008, Costco sold more than 82 million quarter-pound hot dogs in
    its Food Courts. This year that number will be close to 90 million. Going forward,
    those numbers will continue to rise.
    What’s not rising is the availability of kosher raw materials and kosher production-
    plant capacity for making those hot dogs. Clearly the kosher meat industry never
    anticipated the high demand that Costco’s continued growth represents.
    Costco, which had relied on the two national suppliers of kosher hot dogs since
    the mid-’80s, became concerned in 2007 over troubling signs in the kosher meat
    industry that ultimately led to a decrease in supply. A decision was made to investigate
    and develop Costco’s own Kirkland Signature–brand hot dog.
    Timing is everything, because by the end
    of 2008 three events had coincided: One of the
    original hot dog suppliers made the decision
    to quit the kosher meat business; one of the
    largest kosher raw-ingredient suppliers was
    closed down; and Costco was ready to test its
    new hot dog in a couple of warehouses.
    Back when the original hot dog carts
    were conceived, the desire was to deliver a
    quality product. With hot dog industry standards
    at an all-time low in 1984, going with a
    kosher product was the best way to insure
    consistent quality at that time. Kosher—
    which literally means “fit” or “proper”—was
    a good starting point in addressing food safety concerns.
    Today’s standards for hot dogs have shifted in a positive way, reinforced by
    stricter product labeling and better-than-ever food safety guidelines.
    As with the hundreds of other Kirkland Signature products, Costco has been able
    to focus on the best processing plants in the industry—all with full-time U.S.
    Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service supervision.
    The new Kirkland Signature ¼ Pound Plus hot dogs are about 10 percent heavier
    and longer than the old quarter-pound hot dogs and are made from 100 percent beef
    with only fresh USDA Choice or better cuts. This high-quality hot dog has been developed
    without fillers, binders, phosphates, corn syrup, artificial color and artificial flavors,
    which are frequently found in other brands, including some of the kosher brands.
    Everything about the new hot dog is high in quality. In blind taste tests against
    the older brands, the Kirkland Signature hot dog won consistently. You owe it to
    yourself to see if it lives up to your expectations of quality and value.
    —DW
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/02/28 10:29:59 (permalink)
    Well....I'll try it. Hopefully, I'll eat my hat as well.

The Bear
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6202
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/02/28 17:20:31 (permalink)
    Sounds good....I hope they taste close to the Thumanns also sold at our Costco, along with the Hebrew Nationals!!!
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/02/28 19:38:28 (permalink)
    In blind taste tests against
    the older brands, the Kirkland Signature hot dog won consistently.

This is the part that scares me. Hopefully they were not the same people that preferred New Coke.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/02/28 19:49:23 (permalink)
    We tried a couple of the new Dogs last Monday when we were spending our Annual "Bonus" dividend check from the Costco membership card reward.
      We asked for the Polish (not the Hot Dog) and received the new Weinie instead. It was Bigger (in all directions) but it definitely was NOT a Polish Sausage. We didn't eat the previous Hot Dogs very often...always went for the Polish.

I will miss those big Polish Dogs. The New version is NOT as good (IMHO).

BTW they switched their fake-eggs from Eggland to Kirtland brand last week also. (Janet eats them, not me.)
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3286
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/03/01 17:02:48 (permalink)
    The Costco in Chicago, located at 2746 N. Clybourn, serves 4/1 Vienna Beef hot dogs and Polish at their food concession and sells Vienna Beef hot dogs in their retail food store.

CSD PhD Professor of Hot Dogs
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/03/01 17:32:29 (permalink)
    chicagostyledog

The Costco in Chicago, located at 2746 N. Clybourn, serves 4/1 Vienna Beef hot dogs and Polish at their food concession and sells Vienna Beef hot dogs in their retail food store.

CSD PhD Professor of Hot Dogs

I’m leaving from San Diego now. It might be worth it. Except for the weather difference
    Buddy Dek
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 133
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/03/02 19:39:15 (permalink)
    I will miss the hebrew national dogs I have enjoyed there. Vienna beef would be a great substitute, but thats not happening here in NY.  Bring on the kirkland's , if they are acceptable to my taste buds , I 'll be eating healthier. LOL
    djtomatoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/03/23 12:02:49 (permalink)
    the costco here in santa cruz calif. has discontinued the sinai brand with no notice,,,,actually because of roadfoods, i knew about the change to the kirkland brand before the workers at the store knew it was going to happen.

they had no real idea when the kirkland brand would be available, which for me, since i use them at my hb stand.
    hopefully the new dogs will be available befor my customers riot!!!
    djtomatoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/04/07 21:12:29 (permalink)
    well they got the newe dogs in a week or so ago, and they are pretty good,,,,not kosher.
    they are a bit bigger that the kosher dogs they had before.
    abie932
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/04/22 09:54:26 (permalink)
    Costco should consider Louie's All American Kosher Hot Dogs.

Louie DiRaimondo, founder and president of All American Hot Dog Carts, proudly announces a new brand of hot dogs — “Louie’s All American Kosher Hot Dogs.”  As the world’s largest hot dog cart maker, manufacturer and retailer, making hot dogs was the natural next step for America’s Hot Dog King, who literally wrote the book on the business (titled I’m on a Roll). Who better to launch his own hot dog line than the “Hot Dog King” himself, DiRaimondo, who’s been in the hot dog vending business for more than 30 years and has now created his own unique recipe to make the “perfect frank.” 
    “You can’t have a hot dog without the King.  Once people try Louie’s All American Kosher Hot Dogs, they’ll know what a real hot dog should taste like,” said DiRaimondo.  “Louie’s All American Kosher Hot Dogs are plump and juicy and have just the right bite to them.”
    Louie’s All American Kosher Hot Dogs are currently available online at www.allamericanhotdog.com or at the All American Hot Dog Carts corporate offices, located at 292 NW 54 Street, Miami Florida.  DiRaimondo plans to have his hot dogs in major grocery stores nationwide within the next six months.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/04/22 12:00:47 (permalink)
    If the guy can't spell hotdog right how good can his dogs be?
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5047
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/04/22 12:16:55 (permalink)
    leethebard

Sounds good....I hope they taste close to the Thumanns also sold at our Costco, along with the Hebrew Nationals!!!

I love Thumann's! I stopped buying Sabrett for Thumann's "pushcart dogs" in the natural casing.
    Less salty and, garlicky with a very nice texture similar to German veal sausage.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/04/22 12:23:23 (permalink)
    Garlic is life.
    John Fox
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/04/22 19:34:29 (permalink)
    abie932

Costco should consider Louie's All American Kosher Hot Dogs.

Louie DiRaimondo, founder and president of All American Hot Dog Carts, proudly announces a new brand of hot dogs — “Louie’s All American Kosher Hot Dogs.”  As the world’s largest hot dog cart maker, manufacturer and retailer, making hot dogs was the natural next step for America’s Hot Dog King, who literally wrote the book on the business (titled I’m on a Roll). Who better to launch his own hot dog line than the “Hot Dog King” himself, DiRaimondo, who’s been in the hot dog vending business for more than 30 years and has now created his own unique recipe to make the “perfect frank.” 
    “You can’t have a hot dog without the King.  Once people try Louie’s All American Kosher Hot Dogs, they’ll know what a real hot dog should taste like,” said DiRaimondo.  “Louie’s All American Kosher Hot Dogs are plump and juicy and have just the right bite to them.”
    Louie’s All American Kosher Hot Dogs are currently available online at www.allamericanhotdog.com or at the All American Hot Dog Carts corporate offices, located at 292 NW 54 Street, Miami Florida.  DiRaimondo plans to have his hot dogs in major grocery stores nationwide within the next six months.

Since you have an interest in Louie's All American Kosher Hot Dogs according to your profile, I can hardly consider you objective. Seems to me this is a blatant advertising plug. I can't comment on the quality of these dogs since I haven't sampled them, but I am skeptical. "You can't have a hot dog without the King"? Be serious.

"Once people try Louie's All American Kosher Hot Dogs, they'll know what a real hot dog should taste like." Darn, and I was under the impression that some of the high quality hot dogs made from whole cuts of beef and/or beef and pork rather than just trimmings (which is probably what Louie's are from) were real hot dogs.

I'm looking forward to sampling the "perfect frank." Is it perfect? Well, to be considered anywhere near perfect, it's my opinion that a frank should have a casing. Most kosher franks do not, although you can get some with a collagen casing from a kosher butcher. Since Louie's intends to be in grocery stores nationwide, I doubt these dogs will have a casing. So much for perfection. Believe it or not there are many people who believe a perfect frank is a combination of beef/pork or beef/pork/veal.

Let the people on this forum who know hot dogs be the judge. Feel free to ship me a sample. I'd be happy to give my honest opinion. And if you are sure that they are that good, then in all probability they will get a great review. And this from someone who does not have a personal or professional interest in Louie's. Unless of course you are afraid that these franks might be judged less than perfect or not what a real hot dog should taste like.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/04/22 23:26:27 (permalink)
    I think their pizzas and hotdogs are equally poor.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/04/24 21:06:26 (permalink)
    I never received an answer from abie932.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=425707&high=
    David_NYC

abie932

Hi,

Best's Kosher is out of buisness for the past 6 months but try Louie's All American Kosher Hot Dogs  www.Allamericanhotdog.com
    1-800-808-1396

What are we talking here? Hebrew National? 999? International Glatt? Empire National? Meal Mart? Postville?

Corrected URL of referenced Roadfood thread.
    post edited by David_NYC - 2009/04/25 15:02:11
    John Fox
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/04/25 07:50:25 (permalink)
    On the site it mentions that the dogs are a new recipe.

http://www.allamericanhotdog.com/order2.html
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/04/25 09:05:27 (permalink)
    That post is a copy of the All American press release from 2007. 

The hot dogs are evidently available with or without casings.

One of these days I'll "take one for the team" and buy a package to try.  I'm going to have to bring a cooler, as the nearest retail availability seems to be at least 25 miles from my house.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/04/25 12:00:15 (permalink)
    John-its funny, right before I read your most recent post, I was thinking the same thing-that abie932 must work for this company since all the posts have been about Louies. MiamiDon-will be waiting for your "review"!!
    John Fox
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/04/25 12:13:38 (permalink)
    And if you look at his profile he lists Louie's All American Kosher Hot Dogs as his interest. Not to say the dogs aren't good, but an opinion from Miami Don or another Roadfood poster would carry more weight with me than someone who has an interest in the company and is blatantly plugging their dogs.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/04/25 12:18:57 (permalink)
    Bravo, John!!! I know The Mayor makes trips to Costco-maybe he will try them for us ,as well.
    post edited by annpeeples - 2009/04/25 12:20:19
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Costco's new dogs 2009/04/25 12:54:56 (permalink)
    I wouldn't mind taking a flyer and buying some of these franks and paying the shipping on these franks if I was sure that Louie really created a unique new recipe HIMSELF. But the morning network "chat" shows are filled with people promoting their new products. Most of these people don't own a factory and many paid someone else to formulate/design the product. All these marketing types do is flog it, as the Brits would say. Anything with meat that gets shipped to me will have a USDA plant number on it. If I find a brand in my supermarket with the same plant number on it and it tastes the same as the product I paid a fortune for to have shipped, I am going to get mad.

There is no way to know who posted the following example of keyword spammming on tradekey.com:
    "On behalf of Louies All American Kosher Hot Dogs Co, Our clients understand that our New York family based company has brought 36 years of excellence far beyond our clients expectations. All American Hot Dog has experience that will guarantee your company a serious and committed venue at your location. After so many years you can be rest assured that we know how a hot dog should taste; and with our special kosher hot dogs Under the Strict Supervision of Rabbi Israel M. Steinberg, you will be receiving kosher hot dogs that many more can enjoy at the same price as non-kosher hot dogs. All American Hot Dog has attracted the attention of many because of our curiosity and dedication, we have had features from the Miami Herald, New York Times, Radio City Music Hall, among others and is most recognized for the Hot Dog eating contest held on the fourth of July. Our empire has come to be recognized and regarded in very high stature and we even have the honor of being named the King of Hot Dogs. Starting this baseball season we will be the official kosher hot dog of the NY Yankees, NY Mets and the NY Giants. We look forward to enriching you with the Best Kosher Premium Hot Dogs for many years to come."

Legend:
    "Hot Dog eating contest held on the fourth of July" - Nathan's Coney Island and Louie's Florida. 
    "Our empire" - Empire National
    "Best Kosher" - defunct Chicago operation of Sara Lee.

http://www.tradekey.com/profile_view/uid/2589996/Louies-All-American-Kosher-Hot-Dogs.htm

I have seen the name Rabbi Israel M. Steinberg often. That led me to the Kashruth section of Empire National's web site. Empire National operates a plant in Brooklyn that makes kosher frankfurters. I buy their products at Western Beef supermarkets. Anyway, the content of Empire National's Kashruth page is the same as in the link provided by John Fox:
    http://www.allamericanhotdog.com/order2.html
    Empire's:
    http://www.empirenational.info/pages/kashruth.html
    http://www.empirenational.info/pages/kashruth2.html

Empire's plant number is 5386. I have never gotten sick from any of their products. We have had good reviews on this forum of their products. Empire just happens to make products in skinless and collagen casings and in the same put-ups as Louie's:
    http://www.empirenational.info/
    Click on FRANKFURTERS.

Abie is going to have to tell us if Louie's franks are better than the stock Empire National franks, regardless of who makes Louie's franks, and why.

Pork cannot be added to any Kosher food.

post edited by David_NYC - 2009/04/25 15:49:37
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1