Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 40
leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Fri, 04/1/11 7:59 PM (permalink)
Our Costco here in Brick, NJ just got the dogs I've heard about on this site...Hebrew National Umbrellas at the food court gone and replaced by "Kirkland" ones also. I'll try any new dog once, so I bought the $10 bundle.......I'll agree with those who hate them...they're like a greasy cheap brand...hard skin.....no taste...oh and the orange grease that came out of them when I grilled a bunch...my family won't eat them. Called and complained to the Costco consumer phone line. Urged them to find another supplier. We are right next to a Hasitic community in Lakewood...I guess they won't be eating these non-kosher dogs at the food court anymore. My Costco still sells Hebrew National 4 to a pound dogs, but I bet not for much longer. Our Costco used to carry Thumann's which is one of my favorite dogs...no more. Maybe it's a seasonal item. Hope so. Do we know the culprit who made these horrors??? What do you all out there think? How about others calling the consumer hot line and letting them know what you think!!!
']                                                                                                      Lee

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1936
    Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Sat, 04/2/11 4:41 AM (permalink)
    Thanks for the warning, I'll be on the lookout.  It's getting harder and harder to get a good dog at Costco, and I don't understand it at all.  I buy HN at every opportunity now that Best's is gone.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
      Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Sat, 04/2/11 5:53 AM (permalink)
      Last time I was in the Union Costco they still had Hebrew National. I've never had the Kirkland brand. Despite reading the positive things Costco has said about their hot dogs (Kirkland) in the past, I would bet my reaction would be similar to leethebard's. I hope they don't replace Hebrew National here in Union.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6100
        Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Sat, 04/2/11 11:50 AM (permalink)
        Damn, I need to revisit the Kirkland brand as I thought they were pretty good, I could hardley tell the difference from Hebrew National and I'm a dog snob!

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
          Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Sat, 04/2/11 2:16 PM (permalink)
          Dog Snobs of the world unite---
          I refuse (that means I won't go) to buy either brand at Costco
          until youse guys decide which I should buy. Hurry I'm starving.

chewingthefat

Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Sun, 04/3/11 12:32 PM (permalink)
            the ancient mariner

Dog Snobs of the world unite---
            I refuse (that means I won't go) to buy either brand at Costco
            until youse guys decide which I should buy. Hurry I'm starving.

Hebrew National....That will be $25.00, thanks !

MellowRoast

Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Sun, 04/3/11 1:08 PM (permalink)
              I'm a huge fan of Hebrew National, too, and buy the jumbo franks almost every week.  Last week I made some heavenly grilled kraut dogs and had to fight the neighbors off.  And I want to undercut Chewy at $15.00 (Visa/MC/Amex/Disc).

chewingthefat

Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Sun, 04/3/11 2:15 PM (permalink)
                MellowRoast

I'm a huge fan of Hebrew National, too, and buy the jumbo franks almost every week.  Last week I made some heavenly grilled kraut dogs and had to fight the neighbors off.  And I want to undercut Chewy at $15.00 (Visa/MC/Amex/Disc).

My advice comes with a large order of homemade garlic fries, a $50.00 value, to the first 416 customers who qualify!

MellowRoast

Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Sun, 04/3/11 2:26 PM (permalink)
                  Yes, but I don't charge separate shipping & handling!

leethebard

Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Sun, 04/3/11 3:30 PM (permalink)
                    For $25.00 I'll throw in a slice of imitation pizza!!!

chewingthefat

Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Sun, 04/3/11 5:07 PM (permalink)
                      leethebard

Only if it's that yummy Chef Boyardee pizza

leethebard

Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Sun, 04/3/11 7:39 PM (permalink)
                        chewingthefat

leethebard

Only if it's that yummy Chef Boyardee pizza

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                          Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Tue, 04/5/11 11:53 AM (permalink)
                          according to a poster on another site, this is the maker of 
                          costco dogs, by plant #.
                          J BAR B Products

Gilberts Sausages

• Total Posts: 31
                            Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Tue, 04/19/11 6:29 PM (permalink)
                            Not sure what brand they're carrying in the midwest right now, but I've like most of the dogs carried by Costco in the past.  I'll have to check it out

Another question though, when you're buying dogs from Costco and only have a 2 1/2 person household (me, my wife, and a 2-year old) what do you do with them all if you're just buying for yourself?  Even in summer I end up throwing away half the package...don't want to invest in a FoodSaver or something like that...

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                              Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Tue, 04/19/11 9:32 PM (permalink)
                              It's a shame they discontinued the Thumann's brand dogs at leethebard's Costco in NJ. They're my favorite dog.
                              I'm not sure what my Costco in East Plano (Dallas) sells because the only dogs I buy are Thumann's. Which I buy at a popular local butcher shop in Plano called Hirsch's Meat Market. I've never eaten a better natural casing hot dog. And, I've tried them all!

John Fox

Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Tue, 04/19/11 9:39 PM (permalink)
                                Thumann's are great and I'm lucky to have access to them where I live. Are you referring to the German style beef/pork frank or their all beef? Both are excellent, but the beef/pork is what they made their reputation on.

Lost Nation

• Total Posts: 105
                                  Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Wed, 04/20/11 5:42 AM (permalink)
                                  Say it ain't so, I hope our Cosco still sells the Hebrew Nats, I love them in the summer time.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
                                    Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Wed, 04/20/11 9:55 AM (permalink)
                                    Lost Nation, 

Have you been to TJ's Dawg House at Maple Tree Plaza in Williston, Vermont, arguably one of the best, if not the best, hot dogs served in Vermont. It's a very nice stand located outside the Christmas Tree Shop...with seating. 

He serves a Vienna Beef dog. And while you can choose whatever topping you wish, he's got all the ingredients for a bona fide Chicago style frankfurter, if one so desires. Just want to make sure folks are aware of this hot dog gem.

The Bear

bartl

• Total Posts: 1209
                                      Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Sat, 04/23/11 4:14 PM (permalink)
                                      Living in a two-person household: I have found a lot of food which theoretically doesn't freeze well, in fact, does. Hot dogs included.

Bart

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                                        Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Sat, 04/23/11 5:18 PM (permalink)
                                        I don't know how I got along for so many years alone without a FoodSaver. The cost of the unit was made up within the first few months from the savings realized by being able to buy in family-size (and larger) quantities and by not losing food to spoilage.

Twinwillow

Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Sat, 04/23/11 7:54 PM (permalink)
                                          Michael Hoffman

I don't know how I got along for so many years alone without a FoodSaver. The cost of the unit was made up within the first few months from the savings realized by being able to buy in family-size (and larger) quantities and by not losing food to spoilage.

Michael, Amen to that. I'd be totally lost without my FoodSaver! The greatest kitchen tool ever invented!
                                          Only just one of the many things I use mine for is re-sealing the whole bean coffee I buy.

Twinwillow

Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Sat, 04/23/11 7:59 PM (permalink)
                                            John Fox

Thumann's are great and I'm lucky to have access to them where I live. Are you referring to the German style beef/pork frank or their all beef? Both are excellent, but the beef/pork is what they made their reputation on.

Not sure but, I believe the ones I buy are the German style beef/pork. They have a very tender "veal white wurst" texture to them with a great snap when bitten in to.
                                            I'll ask the butcher what kind they are next time I buy them.
                                            <message edited by Twinwillow on Sat, 04/23/11 8:03 PM>

ScreenBear

Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Mon, 05/2/11 3:24 AM (permalink)
                                              I just tried two Kirkland dogs at Costco's and thought they tasted quite good. Although skinless, I thought the all-beef, 1/4 lb. frank had a nice resiliency. The taste is decidedly Eastern U.S./ deli, with a slight garlic taste, and just a tad of smokeiness.  I couldn't figure the manufacturer, though.

The Bear

John Fox

Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Mon, 05/2/11 6:14 AM (permalink)
                                                Which Costco? I go to the one in Union and while I haven't been there in months, last time I was there they still served Hebrew National. Do you like the Kirkland frank more than the Hebrew National?

ScreenBear

Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Wed, 05/4/11 4:42 PM (permalink)
                                                  The fine hot dogs alluded to were purchased and imbibed at the outdoor food patio of a Costco's in San Diego, California. Arguably the best frankfurters in a town that has virtually no discernible hot dog culture, the cozy, welcoming food esplanade, replete with overhead canopy, proves an oasis for both locals who love their dogs, as well as travelers in search of a good frank.  And yep, it's a buck fifty for the dog and a refillable soda. I'll have two, please.

The Bear

leethebard

Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Wed, 05/4/11 7:52 PM (permalink)
                                                    John Fox

Which Costco? I go to the one in Union and while I haven't been there in months, last time I was there they still served Hebrew National. Do you like the Kirkland frank more than the Hebrew National?

No...no...no....not even close to a H.N.........I actually called Costco's National customer service to tell them how inferior these dogs were...bland and tasteless

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
                                                      • Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                      Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Wed, 05/4/11 9:29 PM (permalink)
                                                      I had the new Kirkland hot dog at the Van Nuys, California Costco location.  The dog is huge!  The flavor... so-so.  For $1.50 I loaded it up with lots of Gulden's Mustard, relish and onions and filled my refillable soda glass once.  I have nothing to complain about.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                                                        • Location: New York, NY
                                                        Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Fri, 05/6/11 12:57 AM (permalink)
                                                        There was a pretty funny thread about the new Kirkland Signature hot dogs in 2009:
                                                        http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Costco39s-new-dogs-m491716.aspx

As for who makes it, it sounds like J & B Sausage Co. will create a unique formula for individual private-label customers.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                                                          • Location: New York, NY
                                                          Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Fri, 05/6/11 8:45 AM (permalink)
                                                          Per threads on a few other boards, the only way to know what brand of hot dogs a COSTCO is serving on any given day is to ask to see the box the franks came in.

For those of us in the Northeast, we are accustomed to a market situation where hot dog manufacturers only make a few formulas, but may package a given formula under many different brand names, both for their zombie brands and for supermarkets and mass retailers, packaged with private labels. There are other manufacturers out there who are nimble enough to be able to produce a different frank for each private label customer of theirs. Unless some of our friends in the southwest can provide instances where J & B Sausage Company's Kirkland Signature franks are also sold by local retailers under another brand name, we have to assume it is an exclusive to COSTCO. COSTCO's reason for switching has to be controlling costs of this obvious loss-leader item. The reasons for switching given by COSTCO a few years ago because of shortages in the kosher meat supply are no longer valid. They could have also gone with Nathan's non-kosher dinner hot dogs at the time. They do have a point in wanting to have relationships with two manufacturers to insure a continuing supply.

Here we have a situation where an iconic food item is replaced with something else; i.e. New Coke. As we have discussed many times on this board, the majority of Americans are satisfied with crap hot dogs. Maybe most customers of COSTCO will not revolt over the change of hot dogs. But there are still regional differences of taste in hot dogs. It will take complaints of enough consumers, including threats of not renewing COSTCO memberships, to bring back Hebrew National hot dogs.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                                                            • Location: scotch plains, NJ
                                                            Re:Costco's new Kirkland hotdogs Mon, 05/9/11 2:08 PM (permalink)
                                                            Looks like the Costco in Edison has finally switched to the Kirkland Brand, both at the food court and in the retail section. The Hebrew Nationals have disappeared in both places. I didn't try one yet, and based on what I've read here, I'm not in a hurry to do so. 

For now they are still carrying the Thumann's "Blue" in the 5 lb packages.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 40

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com