Cotton Candy

Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10412
2006/12/01 14:20:16 (permalink)

Cotton Candy

On Wednesday, I had a business dinner at an upscale downtown Pittsburgh steakhouse. After dinner and dessert was served, they brought several large globes of cotton candy out for us to enjoy. I had never this before in any restaurant, let alone a place like this. Has anyone seen this before? What do you think? Other than the obligatory sticky hands, I enjoyed it.

9 Replies Related Threads

Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Cotton Candy 2006/12/01 14:38:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

On Wednesday, I had a business dinner at an upscale downtown Pittsburgh steakhouse. After dinner and dessert was served, they brought several large globes of cotton candy out for us to enjoy. I had never this before in any restaurant, let alone a place like this. Has anyone seen this before? What do you think? Other than the obligatory sticky hands, I enjoyed it.

This is a VERY trendy thing right now. A lot of cutting edge restaurants (well, the ones that think of themselves as cutting edge) are doing exotic cotton candies. I've recently seen cotton candy made from berries and from martinis (of all things).
    buttrdish
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: Cotton Candy 2006/12/01 15:01:22 (permalink)
    In San Franciso, I heard that one restaurant was serving mini cotton candy on small wooden sticks.
    PepperPhil
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Cotton Candy 2006/12/01 16:36:46 (permalink)
    You should be so lucky, All we get is dry roasted peanuts
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Cotton Candy 2006/12/05 17:28:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pigiron

quote:

This is a VERY trendy thing right now. A lot of cutting edge restaurants (well, the ones that think of themselves as cutting edge) are doing exotic cotton candies. I've recently seen cotton candy made from berries and from martinis (of all things).

Maybe I'm just a Scrooge, but I think cotton candy after a "trendy" meal is dumb.

Sorry....
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Cotton Candy 2006/12/05 18:15:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM
    Maybe I'm just a Scrooge, but I think cotton candy after a "trendy" meal is dumb.

It's not exactly "cotton candy" that they're serving. Rather, they're using a cotton candy machine to create interesting new ways to prepare food. I don't particularly like it (I find the texture to be sickening, and not at all food-like), but it definitely is interesting.

The other thing I keep seeing at cutting edge restaurants is foam. Basil foam, milk foam, coconut-ginger foam, gorgonzola foam, even bone marrow foam. At Fleur De Sel in New York, I had Jerusalem Artichoke foam and Lobster foam in the same meal.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8490
    RE: Cotton Candy 2006/12/05 20:01:20 (permalink)
    Wouldnt interest me in the least......
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cotton Candy 2006/12/05 21:28:21 (permalink)
    OK, maybe its my latent NYC snobbism, but where are they doing this stuff? It does't sound "trendy" to me, it sounds desparate.
    What's next, food bubbles blown in the air? Food rubber bands? Food balloons? Blankets????/

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cotton Candy 2006/12/05 22:23:54 (permalink)
    Oooh I get more ideas: How about desert knives, forks and spoons? You can eat them, then you can also eat the napkins, tablecloths, and then flavored tables and chairs!!! Yum yum!!
    John In Seattle
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: Cotton Candy 2006/12/17 14:19:32 (permalink)
    quote:

Sound like the restaurant hired a “carny” LOL. What’s next - Corn dogs and batter-fried cheese?

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1