Could Someone Explain the Ratings and Reviews

Author
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1567
2005/05/09 16:46:08 (permalink)

Could Someone Explain the Ratings and Reviews

I don't get how some of these restaurants on this site get "thumbs up reviews".

Nick's pizza is described as "boring, average, and uninspiring", but it gets a thumbs-up. For the Bonelle Pastry Shop, everything appears awful, yet, "thumbs-up".

Why would I even want to entertain wasting my time going to these places? What does it take to get a negative review? it kind of hurts the credibility of the of the other places and puts a bit more doubt in mind when I am planning a trip.

4 Replies Related Threads

Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: Could Someone Explain the Ratings and Reviews 2005/05/09 17:21:29 (permalink)
    Shouldn't this post be in the Roadfood Insider forum? Nothing like this in the non-Insider areas.
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    RE: Could Someone Explain the Ratings and Reviews 2005/05/09 18:01:38 (permalink)
    saps, speaking for ourselves only, not the Sterns, we gave Bonelle a "thumbs up" because there was one outstanding pastry (there may be others we haven't tried, too) that we felt was worth the visit. The thumbs up/thumbs down system may mean different things to different people but it actually reflects the answer to this question: Would you return to this restaurant? If the review writer answers yes, thumbs up.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Could Someone Explain the Ratings and Reviews 2005/05/09 19:09:45 (permalink)
    There's also several people that can do a review... One person may like it, another one may not... Most of the reviewed restraunts can be found discussed somewhere in the forums (just use the search feature), so there you may get some better input!
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Could Someone Explain the Ratings and Reviews 2005/05/10 13:11:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

saps, speaking for ourselves only, not the Sterns, we gave Bonelle a "thumbs up" because there was one outstanding pastry (there may be others we haven't tried, too) that we felt was worth the visit. The thumbs up/thumbs down system may mean different things to different people but it actually reflects the answer to this question: Would you return to this restaurant? If the review writer answers yes, thumbs up.

I see where you're coming from. And in the case of there being one or two really standout items that make a visit worthwhile, it makes sense. I know a lot of local places, such as burger joints, where I'd go to have a great burger but everything else on the menu is lousy.

However, there are a lot of places reviewed on the site that appear to be average to below-average that get a thumbs-up. It may be my mind-set. If I'm using this site as one of my sources for travel planning, I want places that are worthy of being a destination for a standout reason, not just an average place. I feel like I've wasted my time when I stop at an average joint.

And yes, I should have posted this on the Roadfood insider area.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1