Countertop Ice Machines

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2011/08/30 13:43:38 (permalink)

Countertop Ice Machines

These seemed to be pretty popular several years ago. I don't believe that I've seen one in any retail store in quite a while. Last time I was at our local appliance and home entertainment emporium, there was a single Haier model when a few years back there must have been a dozen on display. I do see them on the net though, so they're still around at about the same price range I remember about 5 years ago. It seems that either people have very good luck with them or appear to have a string of bad luck. Ours started that way with an order off the net of a highly rated model that after 3 replacements either failed almost immediately or arrived damaged. We had the same luck with Cotsco with two arriving at the store in badly damaged condition. Finally we purchased one locally with a rebate and it went on sale in the following weeks that we were refunded the difference, ending up paying around $120. This one wouldn't have won any awards for it's appearance and didn't appear as robust as the others, but this week it's managed to stay in operation daily for 5 years. Many of the criticisms and limitations such as having to fill it with water and they don't self refrigerate have turned out to be non-issues in practical use. I've never had good luck with refrigerator ice makers. This machine has been wonderful and dependable. I'm wondering how those of you that have had any experience with them have fared.

2 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8061
    Re:Countertop Ice Machines 2011/08/30 14:02:57 (permalink)
    They were part of my lineup in the outdoor/indoor grill line.

I only sold one and it was pure Hell for me.  I talked everyone out of "my" selling it to them after that one sale.

The issues I saw in marketing them was capacity and regeneration time. 

Haier is one of the lower priced/quality models.

The best I had was by Marvel who also private labels for a lot of the other companies.  Find out who the manufacturer is... not the brand name on the unit.

Some take hours to make a new batch of ice cubes. 

My take.... not worth it!
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Countertop Ice Machines 2011/08/30 14:49:37 (permalink)
    Well, let's face it. If you're looking for an ice maker to fill up a cooler in a short time, these aren't for you. We go through about 5-7lbs of ice a day with the 3 of us. A store bought 10lb bag is only good through the next day and trays are out of the question with our freezer load and ice consumption. The one we have made by Greenway that's been long discontinued is supposed to make 33lbs in 24 hrs. I think that's even a bit optimistic considering you have to transfer the made ice to the freezer or it's going to melt. Still, filling the reserviour and making and topping of the bag of ice we keep in the fridge works well for us well beyond fooling with ice trays or another ice maker in the freezer.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1