County closes another kitchen,

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8699
RE: County closes another kitchen, 2006/09/09 12:51:41 (permalink)
i almost screamed when I heard that the state wanted pot luck suppers to be licensed-thank God the public outcry over ruled the idiots who were pressing for this...." />
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: County closes another kitchen, 2006/09/09 12:54:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Howdy Doodat

What they do is issue "temporary" permits to each participant ... said permits being a waste of time and paper. But, they have this rule, you see -

The same thing happens with the Tazewell County (IL) Health Department, but this we know is just a money-maker for the county, since the "temporary permit" costs $20 if obtained a week in advance, and even more on the day of the function.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
RE: County closes another kitchen, 2006/09/11 14:11:20 (permalink)
When the (official) population of good ol' Springfield was 80,000 there were literally dozens of casual dining restaurants that were 24 hours per day operations to accomodate the shift workers from the factories. In the downtown area alone there were Harold's, Blue Nook, Thompsons, three Roy Conn's Grill(s), Jack Robinsons, Carrigan's Grill, the coffee shop at The Bowl and the restaurants at the bus station and the GM&O (train - now Amtrak) depot.

When the (official) population of good ol' Springfield was 80,000 there were literally dozens of casual dining restaurants that were 24 hours per day. In the downtown area alone there were Harold's, Blue Nook, Thompsons, three Roy Conn's Grill(s), Jack Robinsons, Carrigan's Grill, the coffee shop at The Bowl and the restaurants at the bus station and the GM&O (train - now Amtrak) depot.

That was 20 years ago.

Yes I’m in the food business www.DrofBBQ.com. That’s my trailer and Klose Smoker in the Kmart parking lot at the corner of Veterans and Wabash. I’ll most likely open this Friday. Maybe I’ll post some pictures when I get time. I’ve been doing events all summer and have dealt with numerous health departments around the state, and in other states. That’s why I think Sangamon County is an easy to deal with health department. Heck I did the Eastern Illinois University Art Fair and had a health inspector inspect on Friday giving me a 100%. Then she came back on Saturday morning and took back her 100% inspection sheet and gave me one that indicated I didn’t have a hand-washing sink with a score of 90%. I pointed out to her that I had a 4-hole sink and the first sink was hand washing only. Her reply was well you didn’t point it out to me, yesterday when I inspected. But she washed her hands in it on both days. And they are all attached it’s one unit it’s stainless steel and I didn’t put it in over night. LMAO So I think our guys are A-OK to deal with.
Jack@DrofBBQ.com
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: County closes another kitchen, 2006/09/11 14:36:21 (permalink)
There's got to be a Springfield in every state in the union.
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: County closes another kitchen, 2006/09/11 15:04:52 (permalink)
I live in Wickenburg AZ with a population of about 5,000 people. Since the Town government does not have the personnel to do health inspections, it is done by the County. All employees who work in the food or beverage business MUST obtain a food handlers card within 30 days of employment. This usually entails a class of some sort and a written examination. You must pass with a minimum of 90% correct. This costs about 7-8 dollars to the employee. If you fail, you have to take the test over at a later date and pay again. This is to insure that food handlers are following guidlines set by the county. Restaurants here are inspected about every 4 months by the same agency. The standards are as follows: gold for 0-2 major violations, sliver for 2-4 major violations, bronze for 4-6 major violations. aAnything worse than that then the county will shut the place down untill all problems are fixed. Most places post thier results but not all. They are required by law to show thier last inspection to anyone who requests it. I personally think that it is a great idea that restaurants are held to tough standards as I am a chef myself. I don't feel sad for any establishbent that has to close because of Health Dept. issues no matter how good the food tastes. That's just my humble opinion.
Till next time, David O.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
RE: County closes another kitchen, 2006/09/11 16:57:37 (permalink)
Double Chili Cheeseburger There's got to be a Springfield in every state in the union.

Your correct there are many Springfield's in this country my apologies. It's Springfield Illinois. our county is Sangamon. We are right in the middle of the state and we are also the Capitol of Illinois. We have more govenors indicted and serve time than most states, and our current govenor is about to be indicted. We have a favorite local sandwich called a horseshoe below is a recipe for a horseshoe and a brief discription.
Jack@DrofBBQ.com
Horseshoe Sandwich – The sandwich is considered the signature dish or Springfield, Illinois, the home of Abraham Lincoln. This sandwich will make your arteries cringe and your taste buds rejoice.

The sandwich starts out with two to three slices of thick toasted bread. On top of that you have two traditional choices: a thick fried ham steak or two large hamburger patties. Then a large amount of freshly made French fries are placed onto the top of it. The secret to this sandwich is the sauce that is poured over the top. Every restaurant and chef seems to have his or her own secret cheese sauce recipe. 1928 - The sandwich was created in 1928 by the chefs at the Leland Hotel in Springfield. The name of the sandwich comes from the shape of the ham with the fries representing the horseshoe nails, and the heated steak platter as the anvil. If you order a Pony Shoe Sandwich, it is the same thing, but a smaller or half a Horseshoe portion (usually one slice of toast).

RECIPE INGREDIENTS

For the Welsh Rarebit Sauce:
2 tablespoons salted butter
1/2 cup beer
2 egg yolks
3 cups grated Old English or other sharp white cheddar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
Salt

For the Sandwich:
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
Salt and freshly ground pepper
8 slices toasted thick white bread
2 pounds cooked French fries

RECIPE METHOD

TO MAKE THE SAUCE:
Set up a double boiler or set a medium-sized stainless-steel bowl over a pot of simmering water. Check to make sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Melt the butter in the double boiler and then add the beer. While constantly whisking, slowly incorporate the egg yolks. Add the cheese and stir constantly until melted and the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon: this should take 5 to 8 minutes. Add the Worcestershire and mustard. Season the sauce with salt to taste. To avoid a stringy sauce, it is important to constantly stir the cheese and be sure that the water is not boiling, but rather simmering.

TO COOK THE BEEF:
Season the beef with the salt and pepper and form it into eight 6-ounce patties. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat or set up an electric grill, and cook the patties, a few at a time, 5 minutes per side for medium.

TO ASSEMBLE THE DISH:
For each serving, place two slices of the toast on a large plate and top each with a patty. Pour the rarebit sauce over the beef and top the sauce with French fries. Serve immediately.

Recipe courtesy the Leland Hotel, Springfield, Illinois

Recipe reprinted by permission of Cooks' Catalogue, Inc. All rights reserved.
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: County closes another kitchen, 2006/09/17 19:54:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

Double Chili Cheeseburger There's got to be a Springfield in every state in the union.

Your correct there are many Springfield's in this country my apologies. It's Springfield Illinois. our county is Sangamon. We are right in the middle of the state and we are also the Capitol of Illinois. We have more govenors indicted and serve time than most states, and our current govenor is about to be indicted. We have a favorite local sandwich called a horseshoe below is a recipe for a horseshoe and a brief discription.
Jack@DrofBBQ.com
Horseshoe Sandwich – The sandwich is considered the signature dish or Springfield, Illinois, the home of Abraham Lincoln. This sandwich will make your arteries cringe and your taste buds rejoice.

The sandwich starts out with two to three slices of thick toasted bread. On top of that you have two traditional choices: a thick fried ham steak or two large hamburger patties. Then a large amount of freshly made French fries are placed onto the top of it. The secret to this sandwich is the sauce that is poured over the top. Every restaurant and chef seems to have his or her own secret cheese sauce recipe. 1928 - The sandwich was created in 1928 by the chefs at the Leland Hotel in Springfield. The name of the sandwich comes from the shape of the ham with the fries representing the horseshoe nails, and the heated steak platter as the anvil. If you order a Pony Shoe Sandwich, it is the same thing, but a smaller or half a Horseshoe portion (usually one slice of toast).

RECIPE INGREDIENTS

For the Welsh Rarebit Sauce:
2 tablespoons salted butter
1/2 cup beer
2 egg yolks
3 cups grated Old English or other sharp white cheddar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
Salt

For the Sandwich:
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
Salt and freshly ground pepper
8 slices toasted thick white bread
2 pounds cooked French fries

RECIPE METHOD

TO MAKE THE SAUCE:
Set up a double boiler or set a medium-sized stainless-steel bowl over a pot of simmering water. Check to make sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Melt the butter in the double boiler and then add the beer. While constantly whisking, slowly incorporate the egg yolks. Add the cheese and stir constantly until melted and the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon: this should take 5 to 8 minutes. Add the Worcestershire and mustard. Season the sauce with salt to taste. To avoid a stringy sauce, it is important to constantly stir the cheese and be sure that the water is not boiling, but rather simmering.

TO COOK THE BEEF:
Season the beef with the salt and pepper and form it into eight 6-ounce patties. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat or set up an electric grill, and cook the patties, a few at a time, 5 minutes per side for medium.

TO ASSEMBLE THE DISH:
For each serving, place two slices of the toast on a large plate and top each with a patty. Pour the rarebit sauce over the beef and top the sauce with French fries. Serve immediately.

Recipe courtesy the Leland Hotel, Springfield, Illinois

Recipe reprinted by permission of Cooks' Catalogue, Inc. All rights reserved.

This post is totally off of the topic. Please start a new thread if you want to start a new topic!!!!
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
RE: County closes another kitchen, 2006/09/18 00:03:47 (permalink)
LOL
Jack@DrofBBQ.com
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1