Crabcake Review

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/18 13:15:51 (permalink)
Meowzart's 50 plus photos are on another thread "Crabcake Pics"
Argent
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/18 13:17:09 (permalink)
Iam really fuzzy on this whole normal thing
quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:
Originally posted by signman

And Kurt (i95) seems so normal on the outside

We all seemed so normal on the outside.
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/18 20:53:48 (permalink)
Signman asked what everybody received in their goodie bags... my first one had a copy of The Crab Cookbook by Whitey Schmidt which'll come in handy this year as I learn more of what can be done with this wonderful food. Then I hit the motherlode from The Mayor, including a can of Moonlite Bar-B-Q Burgoo Soup (it's a special recipe made with mutton!), a bottle of Moonlite BBQ Very Hot Sauce (with a lil' vodka!), and a bag of Sour Mash Bourbon Pancake Mix from Kentucky. Wow... seems kinda fitting, being The Hungover Gourmet!

Thanks to everybody for putting such thought into the cool gifts!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15304
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/18 22:34:27 (permalink)
10 PM Sunday Nite. I just got in off the road. Pooped is the best discriptor at this point. Most of you know I headed to Tonawanda (Buffalo NY) to pick up a Tractor I bought last week on Ebay. Well it is fine and now sits in my driveway. Total mileage was 1800 in 3 days with time out for a good dinner Friday in Hagerstown at Richardson's Falily Restaurant...review coming... And the OUTSTANDING Session on Saturday. I will do a photo narrative tomorrow when my eyes focus a bit better.[|)]
Yeah somehow I tossed my name card aside in the drawings, but that's ok. I have some great photo's and will add them to the collection already posted.
Jan wants to try a 'good' crabcake sometime soon...SO I think it will be mailorder time!! More to follow.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/18 23:10:24 (permalink)
We had a great time and learned a few things:
i-95 is a pussycat and a really nice guy - apparently a keyboard and screen turn on some other personality.
Big Al The Mayor is a party pooper - he snuck out on us before most of us had a chance to thank him for all his hard work. Maybe he was a bit put out when his welcoming speech was cut short by the management's need to get our food ordered . Well, I guess his loss was our gain...
I push around a pretty good belly but I have to say I was impressed by the sheer collective tonnage of the males in attendance. On the other hand I was equally impressed by the evident good appetites of the number of roadfooders with slim waists - how do they do it?
There's more than one way to make a great crabcake. The crabcakes at G&M are like no others I have ever eaten- they are huge, light, fluffy, delicious, and loaded with big lumps of crabmeat - that place is a great find- thanks, Signman and thanks, Wanderingjew for finding and getting us to that place.
We have to admit that we approached this meetup with a bit of trepidation - meeting 40 people we knew only from the internet seemed probematic to us- they might all turn out to be monsters, or worse. Well, our fears were baseless. This group was , without exception, a collection of wonderful people: convivial, friendly, interesting, considerate, and just great company. We had the pleasure of sharing our section of a table with Rhodes and his very attractive friend (his female friend, that is, his very large and entertainig male friend from Louisiana was also great company) , Chumley and his lovely wife, Jennie and Howard with wonderful stories, and Debbie with her camera and pleasant conversation .

We left with several bottles of BBQ sauce ( I traded the hottest one to Rhodes for a bottle of Bourbon ), a bottle of Maryland Mead, a package of Tastycakes, a slice of Pizza from Rhode Island (delicious wamed up in our motel microwave along with Martinis that evening), and some delightful publications from Hungovergourmet.

Who ever won the bottle of Clinton Vineyards Seyval Blanc from Dutchess County ,New York might be pleased to know that that wine was served at a state dinner at the White House during the Clinton Administration. Drink it in good health!

The bottle of Herman Wiemer Riesling won by Jane Dough and Cheesewit was the winner of the New York State Governor's Cup last Fall - the best wine produced in New York State - a winner over several hundred entries. Drink it in good health!

I have just now perused Debbies' photos - they are great- thanks for sharing with us Debbie...

BTW: I caught up with some shad roe at a restaurant in Kent Narrows
Saturday night. It was overdone and overburdened with a delicious sauce of caramelized onions, bacon, and wine- but it was the first of the season and was a delight after 11 months without shad roe.

BakersBoy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/19 08:58:59 (permalink)
What a great day Saturday was the weather the food and the friends. My wife Laura and I brought two guests with us Chris and Tracey from Boston( they left our house with a new copy of Roadfood. They had a great time as well. The food as always at the G&M was terrific but the service was truly outstanding. The next day we did some comparison shopping and since we live in Annapolis, went to Cantlers for more crabcakes. Now Cantlers is renowned for their seafood but they could not hold a candle to the crabcakes at G&M.

We left G&M with new friends (Chezkaties son and daughter-in-law, Jane Dough and Cheesewit, Al, Signman, ocdreamer and so many others.)
Plus we left with a mint julip survival kit, McCormick spices and an autographed cookbook. But mostly we left with memories of a wonderful day.

Thanks to all and let's do this again.

BB

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/19 09:03:06 (permalink)
BB, it was a pleasure to meet you and Laura. It was also great to meet Chris and Tracey. She told me that they will be visiting the website and become posters. I hope so!
I was very impressed with the service at G&M and I thought the crabcakes were the best I ever had. I, too, won one of those mint julep kits and look forward to Derby Day and mixing my own.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7909
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/19 09:58:50 (permalink)
Hey guys. I'm back safe and sound here in Lil' Rhody. This is the first time I've managed to jump on line. I'm on a "break" here at work and can't write much yet. Will write more later though. It was great to finally meet everyone. You're all wonderful people with diverse and exciting interests and hobbies. I'll write more in detail later when I have more time.
Argent
Cheeseburger
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/19 13:10:55 (permalink)
I umm Crab cakes this suday ,G & M Whos in,
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/19 13:53:27 (permalink)

Argent, The system says "Go for it" the gas pedal foot says NO WAY !!
Folks I am posting a few photos on the Pictures thread so if you want to see them go to that thread 9in about 30 minutes).
I am sorry that I had to leave rather directly after the session. As it was it was 3am when I arriived in Buffalo. That used to not be an issue...but the back and the feet gave out and needed a break !!
I will write a review of Richardsons, My friday night stop in hagerstown. Not bad for a Buffet !!
I apologize if I failed to meet everyone..I think I did but not sure...It was a bit busy at the signin table.
Signman I found two bottles of the Almond Cherrry ...I'll consider that my door prizes.
OH YEAH..You Mint Julep Winners...Please note that the plastic cups that came with your mixers are special for the COMING KENTUCKY DERBY on the First Of May. Not just any old used cups !!! Think of us on that day. It will be a suit and tie day...and the Governor's Breakfast for the Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels will be the pre-Derby event. We won't go to Churchill Downs but plan to attend the breakfast ($200 a couple) (deductible!)
OK Time to post photos I have 50 but 6 is all I will post at this time.
AL
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/19 17:52:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Argent

Don't tempt me! Unfortunately, I'm "training" for a 5K in Philly on May 9th and I've sworn off all the tempting good stuff between now and then.
Argent
Cheeseburger
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/19 18:40:05 (permalink)
As MR Simpson would say "MMMMMMMMMMMMMM Crab Cakes
quote:
Originally posted by hungovergourmet

quote:
Originally posted by Argent

Don't tempt me! Unfortunately, I'm "training" for a 5K in Philly on May 9th and I've sworn off all the tempting good stuff between now and then.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/19 19:18:03 (permalink)
Ok, got plenty of time now to babble. I left Rhode Island early Saturday morning around 5:15 AM. Hit absolutely no traffic, I think this is the first time I drove right onto the George Washington bridge without haveing to stop for traffic. I arrived at the Delaware rest stop at around 9:30 am. I figured I had plenty of time on my hands so I gassed up the Tercel, grabbed a coffee and then did a quick walk around the travel plaza three times. Got back in my car a little after 10AM and arrived at G & M at around 11:15. When I arrived I was greeted by Cheesewit, Jane Dough and Barbara CT in the parking lot. Signman and the Mayor were both inside G & M and getting everything organized. Soon Howard 8 and OC Dreamer arrived and afteward the rest of the folks as we went inside to look forward to the Crabcake feast. I had the pleasure of sitting next to I-95 and to my surprise he didn't have 8 tentacles (don't get any ideas) and an eye in the middle of his forehead. He was just a regular guy like the rest of us...Well most of us! The real surprise was when Signman's friend, Peggy Engel arrived. I've seen most of her books and have the first edition of the ballpark book that she and her husband wrote. Then the crabcakes arrived. I had the Crabcake Sandwich and it was FANTASTIC. Pure jumbo lump crabmeat with virtually no binder..What was holding that piece of art together?? Tartar Sauce was not even necessary although there was plenty of it as well as cocktail sauce on the table. Anyway, I don't want to take all the credit for G & M, it was actually Signman who had heard about the place and suggested it to me last fall on his visit to Rhode Island. Anyway the door prizes were great and I want to thank the mayor for the Kentucky Ginger Ale and Meowzart for the Crab T Shirt and Plate (I didn't realize the bag "meowed") until today! By the way, after reviewing my photos I realized two things. 1. I still have to get rid of my double chin 2. I gotta find hair dye I'm not allergic too.(39 is just to young to go gray!) Other than that I look forward to Cheesesteak Run later this summer
CheeseWit
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/19 19:41:43 (permalink)
Wandering,
It was a pleasure to finally meet you. I envy your ballpark tours. I love baseball and those trips of yours are a dream.
I'm glad you made it home safely. That Tercel of yours is a very special friend to you I bet. I enjoyed our table and the conversation.
Your bakery pizzas were great. Thanks for bringing them down!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/19 20:21:44 (permalink)
Dale,

I am looking forward to your stop in Owensboro this Summer. We will make an evening of it or afternoon or whatever !! The evening Buffet has a wider selection so time your trip for it if you can.

Signman-Howard---do you have the checkin sheet...There are some folks that i'see' but can't put a name with them. Chalk that up to my old age!!
I am working on the review for Richardsons (Hagerstown MD). It is not in the same league with G&M, but the Buffet was good and the location is great for an I-70 traveler.

HEY, WILL THE WINNER OF THE GEORGIA CORN WHISKEY PLEASE IDENTIFY YOURSELF...I NEED TO TELL YOU THE STORY BEHIND YOUR PRIZE !!
i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 08:55:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

i-95 is a pussycat and a really nice guy - apparently a keyboard and screen turn on some other personality.

quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

I had the pleasure of sitting next to I-95 and to my surprise he didn't have 8 tentacles (don't get any ideas) and an eye in the middle of his forehead. He was just a regular guy like the rest of us.

You know, I've got to get a better agent.
i95
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 09:02:27 (permalink)
BTW, Mayor, my door prize -- not including both the Tastycakes and Berger's cookies I brought home to my kids thanks to CheeseWit, JaneDough and signman ) -- was a great gift basket of food products from the Nutmeg State and New England, in general, courtesy of BarbaraCT and including Huskies (as in UCONN) tortilla chips, salsa, Cape Cod crackers, Cape Cod mustard, Nantucket Nectars, sauerkraut and more. A very generous door prize! (Thanks, again, Barbara!! )
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 09:03:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

I had the pleasure of sitting next to I-95 and to my surprise he didn't have 8 tentacles (don't get any ideas) and an eye in the middle of his forehead. He was just a regular guy like the rest of us.

You know, I've got to get a better agent.

Don't tell me you forgot to wear the extra head!
BarbaraCt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 09:37:18 (permalink)
Hi all,

We got back late Sunday, and had to take advantage of the great weather yesterday to do some much needed yard work. I couldn't post here while my dear husband was breaking his back outside.We had a wonderful time putting names to faces. The crabcakes weren't bad, either! Thanks Signman for all your hard work. Also, thanks to CheezeWit and Jane Dough for the Berger cookies. Wow, they were great. Also the coffee cakes. My door prize was Eclipse coffee syrup from Rhode Island, thanks, wanderingjew. Also, a bottle of Boordy Vineyards Coastal Cuvee from, ?? We will open it this summer over some lobster. I can't wait.
I was asked what crab cake I preferred, Cantler's or G.and M. Well. G and M has a much better parking lot. Cantler's wouldn't have held us all. Cantler's is very hard to find, and is barn-like with no separate rooms, except the outdoor deck, which wouldn't have held us all. But, the crab cakes are darn good. Not that I didn't love, LOVE, the crab cakes at G and M. I think that G and M was the place for us. And the service was excellent. And the cost of beer!!!!
We never see it that cheap up here in Ct.
Seafarer John gave us a great recommendation of Anglers in Kent Narrows, Md. (Just outside of Annapolis). We had stayed at the Holiday Inn Express there last fall, and used coupons again that you can get in the books at rest areas. For 59 dollars, we had a beautiful room overlooking the bay. We watched two geese, one on a nest, and one swimming around providing distraction away from the nest. Back to Anglers, it was just around the corner from our hotel, and we ended up going there 3 times. Later we found out that Seafarer John was at the other hotel on Kent Narrows, and we could have had dinner with them, had we known. In fact, we probably just missed each other. There are several good restaurants that we both visited in the area.
I enjoyed sitting next to OC dreamer. It is amazing what all we have in common besides good road food.
My husband Keith left drool marks on I 95's car in the lot. He is a real car nut. By the way, this trip was also our celebration of our 35th wedding anniversary.
We were watching television last night, and saw Ort on there. It was on A and E, a crime story about Athens, Ga. He was being interviewed, and listed as a beer afficionado. (sp?)
Well, we had a great time. I will enjoy reading this even more, now that I know you all.

Barbara
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 09:55:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

Wandering,
It was a pleasure to finally meet you. I envy your ballpark tours. I love baseball and those trips of yours are a dream.
I'm glad you made it home safely. That Tercel of yours is a very special friend to you I bet. I enjoyed our table and the conversation.
Your bakery pizzas were great. Thanks for bringing them down!

Same here, CheeseWit, however I envy your easy access to great Cheese Steaks. It was a pleasure meeting you and your "better half" the lovely JaneDough. I'm going to keep the Tercel for another year and plan on buying a new Camry. I definetly plan on staying with Toyota since they have obviously been very good to me.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 09:59:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Dale,
I am looking forward to your stop in Owensboro this Summer. We will make an evening of it or afternoon or whatever !! The evening Buffet has a wider selection so time your trip for it if you can.

Al,

I too am looking forward to an evening get together in Owensboro. That will be a great finale to a two week long cross country trip as the following day I will be driving back to Chicago so I can fly back home. It's been five long years since I've been to the Moonlite and I can just taste that Mutton and Burgoo right now!
CheeseWit
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 10:00:09 (permalink)
BarbaraCT: We can't take credit for the Berger Cookies. They were courtesy of signman. And boy were they great. We gave out the Tastykakes. Sounds like you got a bag with their Koffee kake.
Nice to spend time with you and your husband Saturday.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 10:00:25 (permalink)
I saw that A&E show with Ort. last night also, it's been on several times and shows that Ort. looks the big teddy bear that he comes off on on this board. I'm jealous of the good time and good food you all had! Those crab cakes look incredible!

Karen, in oceanless Northern Illinois
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 10:01:54 (permalink)
I think i forgot to mention that I also left the Crabstock with the makings for a Mint Julep, generously provided by Al the Mayor, which I will enjoy as I watch a New York horse win the Kentucky
Derby this year.

I have a story about the generousity of strangers....

We went to Harris' Crab House in Kent Narrows for dinner on Friday night. Harris' is one of those very large places with rows of chest high tables covered in Kraft paper on which they dump bushels of crabs which the clientel joyfully disassemble with their fingers and little wooden mallets to get at the morsels of crabmeat.

Harris' had advertised an Oyster Fest- all you can eat for $20. We arrived, after dawdling over out Martinis too long at 9:10 pm. "Sorry, too late for the oysters", said the hostess, that special ended at 9pm."

So we swiped a couple of already opened oysters off their beds of ice and said, "OK, we'll just have a soup and sandwich". With that we were given seats at a long table next to a couple who were still enjoying their Oyster fest. Mrs Seafarer immediately endeared herself to these new friends by dumping the man's beer in his lap, but recovered with her usual insousuance by ordering me to get him a new beer- Yeungling on tap. By the time I returned from the bar with his beer a dozen oysters had appeared in front of us. When these were gone another dozen appeared - all courtesy of the new friends who were still on their oyster tab.

These nice folks, with whom we had a very pleasant conversation, turned out to be natives of Baltimore and more generous folks we have never met. We told them about "Roadfood"- hope thay tune in - they are our kind of people...
CheeseWit
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 10:03:38 (permalink)
Dale, you're a living ad for Toyota. I can see you and your Tercel parked at every ballpark you visit, followed by a closeup of your odometer.
i95
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 11:23:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jennie

My husband and I had a terrific time, and I'd like to join the chorus of thanks to Signman and the Mayor. ChezKatie, you were missed, and I hope you like the Mustard. Neither of us are big mustard eaters, and it looked like an interesting one, so we passed it over to the ChezKatie crew. We also got an interesting looking jar of Ginger Wasabi Sauce from Robert Rothschild Farm. We plan to try it next time we make sushi, although the label also recommends it for spring rolls, crabmeat salad, smoked salmon, or drizzled over veggies. Last but not least was a jar of Habanero Traditional Caribbean Style Hot Sauce and Marinade by Spice Exchange (http://www.spice-exchange.com/). Hubby is a big sauce nut, so he can't wait to sample it. In the second round of drawing, we got a jar of Sunnyside Tart Cherry "Only Fruit" Spread, by Gloria's Gourmet (http://www.gloriasgourmet.com/), which looks interesting, along with a copy of Allison and Margaret Engel's book, Food Finds, which Peggy graciously signed for me, "To Jennie--who understands the mania that food can produce! Happy eating! Margaret Engel".

The crabcakes were fantastic. I've lived in the Baltimore area all my 35 years, and have had many a crabcake, but never one like this. My husband and I were actually relieved that we only got the sandwiches, which included only one crabcake. The people who had two looked like Dolly Parton had reclined on their dish. I'm not much delving into the realm of fantasy here, am I folks? I said as much to Argent as we walked out ("They were like . . . two huge breasts of crab!") and the waitress we passed cracked up. I'll bet that made the rounds of the kitchen. All kidding aside, they were filled with enormous chunks of crabmeat, obviously good backfin, and neither hubby nor I found a single speck of cartilage. The binding appeared to consist more of egg white than bread, which lent them a nice fluffy consistency. But because of the enormous amount of crab, you weren't left with the feeling that it was all fluff. It was all meat! As I said, we were pleased we'd only gotten the sandwiches, because many who got the platter had to take one of the breasts home with them. I mean a crabcake.

In any event, Havelyard (as such is the handle/screenname my husband is likely to choose should he begin posting here) and I had a wonderful time, and chatted mainly with Meowzart and her hubby and with Seafarer John and his "mate", but also a bit with the ChezKatie contingent. Several of us talked about getting together in the Olney area, possibly at the Mannequin Pis (http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/Profiles/mannequinpis.html), although even the Washingtonian notes that it's "expensive". Perhaps the Olney Ale House might be more on our budget just at first.

Thanks for a great day.
Jennie

Jennie, it was nice to meet you on Saturday. I agree with meowzart, your photo from her "collection" is the best!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 13:12:58 (permalink)
Wandering-- Another shameless plug for Toyota. We sold our '96 Avalon this past winter on Ebay and got a good deal on an end-of-the-year '03 Camry V6. Since it is basically Janet's commute car, I wasn't too concerned about me driving it (tight squeeze!!) Well truth be told this Camry has as much or more interior room (read belly and head room) as the Avalon did. I love the car.

HEY, I still am looking for the winner of the GEORGIA CORN WHISKEY in the door prize drawing. I know someone got it since I didn't bring it home!! I dentify yourself and you will hear the great tale of how it became a door prize !!!
i95
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 13:37:07 (permalink)
chezkatie, in advance of travelling relatives staying with us this summer, again, and slowly (so that we can all take notes), please tell us how you perfected the formula by which you could get all of your houseguests to attend some internet gathering whilst you stayed home and enjoyed a house to yourself.

Inquiring minds want to know.
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 14:36:58 (permalink)
Mr Mayor,
I believe back on page 2 Tarragon says she took home a bottle of real corn liquor, I believe that's what your looking for.
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 15:06:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

Mr Mayor,
I believe back on page 2 Tarragon says she took home a bottle of real corn liquor, I believe that's what your looking for.

Yes, Tarragon was the winner because she asked me if it was really what the label said. Having had a previous encounter with a jar of said substance I confirmed that it was. And THAT is all I will say about THAT!
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1