Crabcake Review

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 15:50:46 (permalink)
Thanks for all the news, everyone. Sorry I could not be there to meet you all.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15307
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 15:54:56 (permalink)

OK Truth Time... Tarragon, and all others. I bought that jar (bottle would be a misnomer) back in 1995 while on a road trip around the country from SoCal. It claims to be 30 days old, but in reality it is now nine (9) years in the jar. This is usually a good sign for quality booze...but I am not sure how clear glass will aid in the smoothing of the contents. If I were to open it I would probably have someone who was not close to me sample the contents, before offering any to a 'friend'. It should be ok,as the seal was intact, but a test of quality is in order !!
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 16:14:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

chezkatie, in advance of travelling relatives staying with us this summer, again, and slowly (so that we can all take notes), please tell us how you perfected the formula by which you could get all of your houseguests to attend some internet gathering whilst you stayed home and enjoyed a house to yourself.

Inquiring minds want to know.

It is not as difficult as it might seem at first. You see, I don't exist. Well, at least in the form of a single human. My character, "chezkatie" is actually the composite creation of 4 inmates that currently reside (read: incarcerated) in a local mental institution and are only released on weekends. You had the opportunity to meet those four deranged but generally likable folks on Saturday. I hope that they behaved.
i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 16:19:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:
Originally posted by i95

chezkatie, in advance of travelling relatives staying with us this summer, again, and slowly (so that we can all take notes), please tell us how you perfected the formula by which you could get all of your houseguests to attend some internet gathering whilst you stayed home and enjoyed a house to yourself.

It is not as difficult as it might seem at first. You see, I don't exist. Well, at least in the form of a single human. My character, "chezkatie" is actually the composite creation of 4 inmates that currently reside (read: incarcerated) in a local mental institution and are only released on weekends. You had the opportunity to meet those four deranged but generally likable folks on Saturday. I hope that they behaved.

They behaved as good as "four local mental institution patients" are expected to behave. (Translation: They all behaved better than seafarer john.)

chezkatie
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 16:24:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:
Originally posted by i95

They behaved as good as "four local mental institution patients" are expected to behave. (Translation: They all behaved better than seafarer john.)

" />It sounds like everyone behaved better than wanderinghands........oops, I mean wanderingjew.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 16:45:07 (permalink)
Geez! and I was on my very best behavior...
BarbaraCt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 17:51:28 (permalink)
Sorry, Signman, thanks for the great cookies. They were so good!!! I would have a hard time getting them all to the crab fest. I am sure some would have to be tried to make sure they were okay. You did a great job with the crab fest. WE will be talking about this for a long time.
tarragon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/20 23:06:53 (permalink)
Boy, see what happens when I take a day or two off from surfing the 'net?! I don't know how I had missed you asking for the Corn Liquor winner to step forward, Mayor, but I certainly did miss it. And yes, I did get the corn liquor. I haven't opened it yet, though... and was wondering -who- I could get to test... er taste it for me. Thanks for the story and the tips! Yes, it should be fairly well aged by now.

Seafarer John, I wanted to share with you that you reminded me of my mother's younger brother! You look like him, that is. That's a good thing, btw. My Berger Cookies are on their way--I did indeed order some online. I'm going to take -some- in to share with my office mates.

I still can't believe how wonderful it was to meet everyone, and how friendly everyone was! Thank you all again so much! My daughter and I had a great time!

tarragon
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/21 07:30:49 (permalink)
Ruth,

Here in the Baltimore area, I find Berger cookies to be available in the bakery department at Giant. They are in a cellophane wrapped 15 oz box and sell for $3.79. Ask around at your local Giant.
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/21 08:21:39 (permalink)
signman: those fresh baked Berger cookies you brought were stupendous. I hadn't had one in about 10 years. I allowed myself one or two (ok, maybe 3)on Saturday, but got right back on my Atkins diet on Sunday.
Can't wait to see ya' in Philly in July.
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 281
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/21 12:31:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

We had a great time and learned a few things:
i-95 is a pussycat and a really nice guy - apparently a keyboard and screen turn on some other personality.

This group was , without exception, a collection of wonderful people: convivial, friendly, interesting, considerate, and just great company. We had the pleasure of sharing our section of a table with Rhodes and his very attractive friend (his female friend, that is, his very large and entertainig male friend from Louisiana was also great company) , Chumley and his lovely wife, Jennie and Howard with wonderful stories, and Debbie with her camera and pleasant conversation .

i-95 was surprisingly nice, eh? (obl. Canadian content for Howard8) I somehow thought he'd be taller in person though, and that wandering jew would be shorter I agree with you about the qualities of the group too, we've commented several times since what a pleasant and friendly group this was! And my `very attractive' friend thanks you, and I agree!
JaneDough
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/21 13:34:37 (permalink)
Originally posted by CheeseWit

signman: those fresh baked Berger cookies you brought were stupendous. I hadn't had one in about 10 years. I allowed myself one or two (ok, maybe 3)on Saturday, but got right back on my Atkins diet on Sunday.

And since I'm now on a daily-1200-calories-maximum-30%-fat regimen, I brought the leftover Berger cookies into the DA's Office (where I work, or so they think). One of the ADA's actually knew what they were and I thought she'd wet herself thanking me!" />
Kodi1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/22 17:22:22 (permalink)
Hi all,

Love this thread. Loved the meet and eat. I had a truly great time. I just wish I'd have brought a video cam.

And I95.....concerning the Chardonnay...I'm not a big Chardonnay fan but that is a good wine. I've already gone through it and have to look for some more.

May I suggest that we all meet someday....somewhere for some Maryland style steamed crabs??? That is my all time favorite food and sitting around with a bunch of good people cracking shells (and drinking cold beer) is one of my favorite passtimes.

Gotta run....my wife is wanting me to cook supper.

Later y'all (betraying my southern roots here)
Kodi
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/22 17:56:38 (permalink)
Kodi: We'd love to meet with you and others to eat the sweet and tender morsels of cracked crab - If you'll crack and pick the crabs we''ll happily eat and drink with you ...
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/22 17:59:16 (permalink)

Kodi,
You crack, and I'll eat...Hell, I'll even pour the beer !!AND sit next to Seafarer while I do it. Now ya can't ask for much more !
chezkatie
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/22 19:11:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Kodi,
You crack, and I'll eat...Hell, I'll even pour the beer !!AND sit next to Seafarer while I do it. Now ya can't ask for much more !

Kodi! You pay and we will crack.............now that is a real deal.
Kodi1
Junior Burger
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/22 20:19:37 (permalink)
Heh, heh. I sometimes crack and pick for those poor souls who have not had the good fortune to learn the joy of picking and eating the blue crab (my mom mostly). I think in our case you all will have to pick your own. And IF if I were to hit a lotto before we all get together to do it then I will pick up the tab.

I'm a seafood guy and we are coming into the season (in Maryland) for God's gift to culinary perfection, at least in my opinion, for the blue crab. Not as plentiful as in the past but still great.

Also......Al the Mayor rocks..........

Kodi
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/22 20:37:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Kodi1
May I suggest that we all meet someday....somewhere for some Maryland style steamed crabs??? That is my all time favorite food and sitting around with a bunch of good people cracking shells (and drinking cold beer) is one of my favorite passtimes.

Say the word!! Other than my friend Billy's porch, favorite places to enjoy Maryland steamed crabs are Mariner's Landing in Dundalk and McNasby's in Annapolis. Any places you (or anybody else local) would recommend?
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/22 21:37:24 (permalink)
As I understand it: Kodi buys the crabs, Chezkatie, cracks and picks them, Al the Mayor buys and pours the beer. We''ll be there, just name the time and place...
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/26 14:34:10 (permalink)
This posting is late since we left G&M at 2;45 pm and wound up in New Bern, NC (after stopping at our first Q place Wilbers)around 9:00pm. Thanks Wandering for the recommendation.
Signman you did a great job in arranging and organizing this terrific afternoon and providing delicious coddies for early arrivers. A big thank you.
Pleasure meeting everyone and wish there were more time to talk to those I didn't get to spend time with.
The crab cakes were awesome. Light, but substantial, tasty and not over seasoned. The crab stood out. I started eating as soon as the dish was put in front of me and didn't come up for air until the second crab cake was finished. My only regret was not ordering she-crab soup and oysters as well.
Mr. Mayor I hope the Ford diesel provides many years of mowing and tilling. Mine is still going strong after 12 years.
Wandering, Cheese, Jane, OCdreamer, Sam the man, Meowzart and everyone else, what a great group of people.
Just think about it, 40 or so people and no fights! just a whole lot of clean plates.
The door prizes were thoughtful and a lot of fun.
I95, I am open to your suggesstions re:the best way to use those two sauces. I do a lot of cooking, including shoulder and ribs, and am looking forward to using them.
Speaking for my 2 of 8 ladies and myself, great time, great people, great crab.

Howard8
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/26 14:39:20 (permalink)
I would also like feedback from the recipient of the ginger wasabi sauce, mustard chili stuff and the hot sauce. Did ya like it?
chezkatie
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/26 14:45:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by howard8

I would also like feedback from the recipient of the ginger wasabi sauce, mustard chili stuff and the hot sauce. Did ya like it?

I think it may have been Jennie that got that prize. She and her husband do not like mustard so she gave the mustard with chili's to my son. It was awesome and we loved it!
Kodi1
Junior Burger
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/26 20:43:06 (permalink)
Aiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeee......to paraphrase Calvin (of the late lamented Calvin and Hobbs daily cartoon)

I post a couple of messages and now I'm on the hook to furnish steamed crabs for 30 or 40 hungry roadfooders!!!! Note to self....watch what you say. Being a poor boy I can't afford to do that but again if I hit that ever elusive lotto it's go time!

At least the Mayor offered to pour the beer......if not buy it.

Several messages here since I don't get to post as much as I would like:

Totally changing the topic....and drifting back in time, and (possibly due to age/alcohol induced dementia) mind, I remember 25 years agoI used to buy crabs on the north side of Baltimore for $3 a dozen. And these were huge crabs. I used to keep the shell of the largest one and measure it at the end of the feast. Often it would measure over 9" point to point. No lie. Don't know why I brought this up, it just seemed necessary....and of course I've had some wine.

I also saw the Mayor post on the top of this page (4) and state that he didn't know about the effects of clear glass on the "smoothing" of the contents of booze. As a home brewer I have some small knowledge of this subject. Clear glass is fine as long as the subject(the bottle not the drinker) is out of the light. Ultraviolet is harsh on potent potables...(booze). Green glass is no better. Brown glass on the other hand blocks the rays from damaging the delicate contents of the libation. Thus keep your drinks out of sunlight or pretty much any direct light if it's not in a brown bottle. And even if it is shade is still best.

I'd like to take this time to say that this is probably the best forum I've ever found, and I've been to a few. I have interests in the areas of comics, beer, motorcycles, guns, physics (if you haven't then you should read "A brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking...good stuff), science fiction, movies, and of course food. Yet in none of the forums I've visited regarding these subjects have I found people as nice as you all, or y'all where I come from. And I mean that. Thanks.

I seem to be rambling here so I'll shut up now, unless I think of something that is incredibly important to share.

Talk atcha later,
Kodi

seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/26 23:51:26 (permalink)
I dont think any booze over about 15% alcohol ages at all once it's in the bottle. That much alcohol is guaranteed to stop the good things that are happening to smooth out raw alcohol when it is in a wooden barrell. As long as it's in the wood and there is a bit of transfer of air and liquid through the wall of the wood ageing will proceed. Also, there's reaction between the wood itself ( or the charred wood in many cases) and the booze that helps in the ageing process.

Wine, at about 10% - 13% alcohol, on the other hand, is a living changing product and will continue to age ( and perhaps improve) for many years if properly stored. I defer to the brewers in our forums, but I dont think most types of beer and ale benefit from any considerable ageing time - they are best drunk when fresh.

In any case, beer and wine are best preserved in dark bottles as light can ruin them in a very short time. White wines, most types of which dont improve from long ageing, are usually sold in clear glass because knowledgeable customers want to see the color of the wine. Improperly stored white wines will take on a brownish color in a very short time and will not have a taste typical of their type.

The stories of the great smooth old Napoleon brandies made about 200 years ago are, I think, mostly apocrophal. I doubt, unless the bottles were very carefully stored over all those years , that they are very good to drink at all. Further, I doubt that those famous bottles are ever even opened by the people who pay the exorbitant prices for them - they just pass from collector to collector at ever increasing prices and only a damn fool would destroy the value by opening the bottle.

If you buy yourself some brandy or whiskey that's over about 7 years old when it was bottled out of the barrell from bonded storage , youv'e probably got yourself something very nice to drink. A dark bottle is probably best for brandy and whiskey, but i'm not totally sure that it matters. What does matter is that you either drink it up quickly or store it in a cool dark place - both heat and light are bad for any alcoholic beverage.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/27 00:54:38 (permalink)

I dunno John, take a fifth of PUCKER, the Sour Apple Flavor Schnapps Aged in the bottle on the way from the Production line to the Liquor Barn in Louisville. The special blend of Polymer-BromideChorhizifine in the plastic bottle adds a unique flavor to the beverage that certainly makes it worth every penny of the $2.49 per fifth price.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/04/27 09:08:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I dunno John, take a fifth of PUCKER, the Sour Apple Flavor Schnapps Aged in the bottle on the way from the Production line to the Liquor Barn in Louisville. The special blend of Polymer-BromideChorhizifine in the plastic bottle adds a unique flavor to the beverage that certainly makes it worth every penny of the $2.49 per fifth price.

Bet it goes real well with Lutefisk too!
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Crabcake Review 2004/05/02 15:27:02 (permalink)
We want to thank, Al The Mayor, for the fine Bourbon and the Mint Julep elixer he provided and we won at the Crabcake Fest. We had a very pleasant hour yesterday watching the Kentucky Derby festivities and the race while sipping the Juleps we made from the fixin's provided by Al. Unfortunately, Friend's Lake, the New York horse, finished someplace far back in the mud, but Smarty Jones was a wonderful horse to watch even as my money disappeared into someone else's pocket.

BTW: If you want a great meal at a very nice Inn in the Adirondacks and near the source of the Hudson River (Queensbury, NY) you can't beat the Friends Lake Inn.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1