Crack Pie

Author
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1381
2013/05/24 21:53:08 (permalink)

Crack Pie

The Crack Pie from the Momofuku Milk Bar in NYC has become legendary in a very short time.  When two completely different people mentioned the pie to me within a day of each other, it was time for me to make it. 

Although I have the cookbook by pastry chef Christina Tosi, I made the one-pie version she developed for Bon Appetit/Epicurious:  http://www.bonappetit.com.ecipes/2010/09/crack_pie

Here's a quick report on my findings.

First, I slightly overbaked mine because I forgot to push the start button when I set the timer. (My bad!!)  But all was definitely not lost, and when all was said and done it looked like many of the images in a google search of it, and it was tasty. (A little extra caramelization can be a fine thing!)

The filling reminded me of pecan pie without the nuts, although it might be a little different if baked for a slightly shorter time.  Just know that it's going to be very sweet.  The crust is actually a crumb crust made from an oatmeal cookie dough which you bake as part of the recipe.  There's some salt in the crust that helps offset the sweet filling, but I think it could use a little more.

Anyway, that's my report!  Think I'll go wash that down with something savory now.

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1