Cracker Barell why is it always packed?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 22:33:15 (permalink)
5 days away from my baseball trip. Believe me, I'll be passing all the Crapper Barrels and enjoying some real food!
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 23:22:24 (permalink)
What real food wj, tell me about it.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 709
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 00:09:24 (permalink)
I have eaten at cracker barrel about 9 times in the last 25 years, 8 of them for breakfast and 1 for dinner. I didn't like the dinner, but I always found the eggs, bacon, and pancakes very good at CB! I must admit, Cracker Barrel was never my choice, always someone else's in the group I was with.

In fact there food is much better than Denny's and I never seen a line of people trying to get into a denny's either.

I think people eat at CB fo the following reasons.

1 they are very close to the freeways and toll roads.

2.You know what You are going to get.

3. It reminds Senior Citizens of days that have gone by.

4. It is better than alot of other places near the tool raods and interstate.

Alot of people who travel aren't Roadfood freakies like us, they are in a big hurry to get where they are going and they are not going out of their way to find a local place or a mom and pop place, but they don't want fast food either.

These are my opinions only and I would love to hear other opinons
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 00:35:33 (permalink)
Flagrantly cNp'd from the wafflehouse thread but it's as true here as in the original, and it is after all my own words ..................................................... ( Waffle house is a great roadfood palace and just about the only place you can get decent food at any hour and for those families on a budget, everyone can get what they want (expect maybe for that one you swear cant be yours) Hashbrowns scattered covered smothered peppered etc etc and a two inch thick whipped omelet and a side of georgia ice cream dripping with butter, havoc on the cholestrol but...... and the coffee is about the best you can find on the road except maybe TA truckstops... Waffle house is an early morning(3am)must before heading out to the gulfstream for a day of fishing or those nights you wake up hungry as a bear and dont want to wake the family.. at 6'4 and 280 pounds the booths are a lil tight but I just sit cattycornered and stretch out anyway. Huddle House is almost as good but there aren't as many around north florida. Somebody mentioned Cracker Barrel..pleaseeeeeeeee a 30 minute wait on the "porch" and the gravy is bland, the rolls heavy and the grits like wallpaper paste, not to mention the prices belong in some(shudder) NYC bistro!! I can fill the table with good grub a cherry coke and a bottomless cuppa joe for 10 or 12 bucks at waffle house.)
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 00:43:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dreamzpainter

Flagrantly cNp'd from the wafflehouse thread but it's as true here as in the original, and it is after all my own words ..................................................... ( Waffle house is a great roadfood palace and just about the only place you can get decent food at any hour and for those families on a budget, everyone can get what they want (expect maybe for that one you swear cant be yours) Hashbrowns scattered covered smothered peppered etc etc and a two inch thick whipped omelet and a side of georgia ice cream dripping with butter, havoc on the cholestrol but...... and the coffee is about the best you can find on the road except maybe TA truckstops... Waffle house is an early morning(3am)must before heading out to the gulfstream for a day of fishing or those nights you wake up hungry as a bear and dont want to wake the family.. at 6'4 and 280 pounds the booths are a lil tight but I just sit cattycornered and stretch out anyway. Huddle House is almost as good but there aren't as many around north florida. Somebody mentioned Cracker Barrel..pleaseeeeeeeee a 30 minute wait on the "porch" and the gravy is bland, the rolls heavy and the grits like wallpaper paste, not to mention the prices belong in some(shudder) NYC bistro!! I can fill the table with good grub a cherry coke and a bottomless cuppa joe for 10 or 12 bucks at waffle house.)

You got to remember, that us Northerners don't have waffle houses up here!!

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1511
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 05:45:19 (permalink)
Guess I'll never know the answer to that one.. we don't have an interstate near us... and that is the stated requirement for one of those places..
johnreed
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 08:09:08 (permalink)
I've always said Cracker Barrel has a reliably good breakfast and very good biscuits, but the rest of the menu is unspectacular.

However, after recovering from food poisoning at one of their locations in February, I'm wondering whether I can ever go back.
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 08:55:44 (permalink)
The entire state of KY is sprinkled with Cracker Barrels and personally I like CB and prefer it over Waffle House. And yes, when you're on a long road trip and tired and there it is right off the interstate exit it's not a bad choice. I find the prices reasonable for what you get, and I've never gotten sick eating there. I'd never go out of my way to eat there, but I've not had a bad experience there. Some of their salads are pretty good.

Andrea
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18859
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 09:33:03 (permalink)
I went to a Cracker Barrel once. It was along I-75 in Tennessee. Never again.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 09:34:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by garryd451

I don't know about that. The last time I looked Northern Ohio was still part of the North.
cyrano
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 11:02:23 (permalink)
I've got some people in my family who don't share my passion for great food, and they like Cracker Barrel just fine. For them, it's reliable, a step up from Mickey D's, and unthreatening. The fact that it's also flavorless is not an issue to them. Only when I'm alone on road trips do I get to hit the places I found out about from the Sterns or, more lately, this website.

So I think there's a big market out there for nonthreatening food as fuel, to be wolfed down quickly.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 11:17:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

I don't know about that. The last time I looked Northern Ohio was still part of the North.

I am sorry, I didn't know, they were in the Midwest! I never seen one in Michigan, Indiana, or Ill.

sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 12:34:41 (permalink)
When travelling, it can be really hard to find good breakfast food along the interstate. Roadfood recommendations are super, but there are lots of gaps in the map. Though service can be spotty, the food is consistent, and I've not seen cherry pancakes anywhere outside of Door county, except at Cracker Barrel. But I've not been there for any meals but breakfasts.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 12:39:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sugarlander

When travelling, it can be really hard to find good breakfast food along the interstate. Roadfood recommendations are super, but there are lots of gaps in the map. Though service can be spotty, the food is consistent, and I've not seen cherry pancakes anywhere outside of Door county, except at Cracker Barrel. But I've not been there for any meals but breakfasts.

You can find cherry pancakes in alot of restaurants in Northwest Michigan, in lower lower U.P.!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 12:47:19 (permalink)
quote:
[brI am sorry, I didn't know, they were in the Midwest! I never seen one in Michigan, Indiana, or Ill.

There are 14 in Indiana, two in Illinois, 54 in Ohio, and nine in Pennsylvania. Those are the northernmost states with Waffle Houses.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 12:55:32 (permalink)
quote:

[brI am sorry, I didn't know, they were in the Midwest! I never seen one in Michigan, Indiana, or Ill.

There are 14 in Indiana, two in Illinois, 54 in Ohio, and nine in Pennsylvania. Those are the northernmost states with Waffle Houses.
[/quot

Wow! 6 of them in the Indi Area, I don't know why i miss them! I gotta keep my eyes open and my big mouth shut!
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 13:00:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by WaffleHouserules

What real food wj, tell me about it.

This looks like a real blast!

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6953

sugarlander
Cheeseburger
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 13:05:01 (permalink)
Okay, I've been there lots too, never had cherry pancakes there though. But both states (Mich and Wisc) are far from home...
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 13:05:49 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

[/quot

Wow! 6 of them in the Indi Area, I don't know why i miss them! I gotta keep my eyes open and my big mouth shut!

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 14:32:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sugarlander

If you travel the interstates then the TA Truckstops are generally a good place for "breakfast" 24-7, other large truckstops are usually acceptable but I've always "gone the extra miles" to reach a TA, the professional drivers showers and accomadations are always clean which naturally makes me more comfortable about the kitchens.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 14:36:39 (permalink)
I live in detroit area garry as you know, I drive to the toledo ohio area and eat at waffle house, all the waffle houses in indiana are in Indianapolis. I seen a few wh going down interstate 57 in illinois.
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 14:44:19 (permalink)
Over the years, I think that the truckstops have become much worse. They are nearly all chains, featuring laminated limited choice menus and no longer have regionalized roadfood-type food or atmosphere. It's a shame, but I guess it's "progress."
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 16:32:09 (permalink)
Yea I cannot stand the food in some of these TA's.
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 16:35:29 (permalink)
I ate at a Cracker Barrel once for breakfast while traveling. I remember the service being very slow and I liked the hash brown potato casserole dish, but that is about all.

The last two “road breakfasts” we have had were really not very good. I selected non-chain, café type places both times in two different towns, and was really disappointed. Heavy biscuits, cold eggs, weak coffee etc. The food was bad and expensive. Now, it would not be that much of a loss for one person, but when you have a family with you it can get quite expensive. Now when we are in our town we never go to the IHOPS and Dennys, because we know where to go, but there is something to be said for the knowing-what-your-gonna-get factor when traveling.
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 16:54:27 (permalink)
Also, there are towns where no one seems to go out, so a bird in the hand (known though maybe lower quality) on the interstate can be better than looking all around a strange town in an RV, then trying to find a parking place..
UNLESS we're looking for a specific recommended ROADFOOD place!
brookquarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 280
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 17:30:44 (permalink)
As I,ve posted before Cracker Barrell is one of the few chains we eat at with any frequency (maybe half a dozen times a year) We eat there for the following reasons:
1. We like breakfast food at hours other than breakfast, and Cracker Barell serves their full breakfast menu during the entire day.
2 Some of the breakfast food is exceptional (the hash-brown caserole,) and all of it is acceptable.
3.They are one of the few places serving real maple syrup.
4. They are the only place in our area of Pennsylvania where you can get Southern sides like fried okra or turnip greens.(Unless someone can point me to Soul food places in the Lehigh Valley.) This is the only reason I ever order dinner. The entrees although also Southern tinged(chicken fried steak, country ham) are mediocre.
5. I actually am glad they have the 'country store'- browsing in it while enduring a half-hour wait because they don't take reservations, is prefereable to simply standing in the lobby as is necesary at other chains.Also, I often buy their old-time candies which I otherwise have to order online.
All that being said, ourtwo favorite breakfast places are still Mom and pops:
Comptons pancake house, on South 7th Street in Stroudsburg (excellant omelets french toast and pancakes) and,
Chris's Family Restaurant on Tilghman street in Kuhnsville, west of Allentown -which I discovered because of a post by Ruby Rose on this site.
both use cheap syrup though.
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 17:50:35 (permalink)
BT - does your cat travel in a crate or just ride along?
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 17:53:15 (permalink)
I do eat at some good mom n pops in memphis,tenessee. down south is were your good mom n pops are.
Saint Matt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 183
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 18:56:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

Not just small town life. Name one of ANY "family dining" chain and we don't have one in San Francisco. After years of seeing Olive Garden adds on TV, I'm tempted to cross that ugly bridge to your beloved East bay to find one so I can try it.

Uh, isn't there an Olive Garden at Stonestown on 19th Avenue? It been there for years! It's next door to Chevy's, another "family dining" chain.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/04 19:27:03 (permalink)
I can't say anything bad about CB. My last 2 jobs I was interviewed at a CB in Chattanooga and got both jobs so I have a soft spot in my heart for that reason. Other than that my in-laws love CB to the max and they always "treat" my family to dinner there when they come and visit from MO. But, I myself have always wondered what is the draw at this place?
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1