Cracker Barell why is it always packed?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
2005/04/02 23:36:34 (permalink)

Cracker Barell why is it always packed?

Everytime I go to craker barell it is always full. Man one time i had to hit 3 cracker barells before i could sit sown and eat.

77 Replies Related Threads

dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/02 23:57:14 (permalink)
    I don't understand the draw this place has either, you wait forever on a "porch", make your way through an obstacle course of self serving merchandise only to wait again for food that is barely palatable, pasty gravy, greasy chicken fried steak and biscuts so heavy ya can break yer foot if ya drop one, watery grits that taste worse than instant and I don't even want to think about the brown fluid they try to pass off as coffee!!
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 03:26:41 (permalink)
    Plenty of Bus parking???
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3765
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 04:37:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by WaffleHouserules

Everytime I go to craker barell it is always full. Man one time i had to hit 3 cracker barells before i could sit sown and eat.

Well, this could be one reason. How many decent places did you pass up looking for the familiar mediocrity of Cracker Barrell?
    jeepguy
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 05:49:01 (permalink)
    And how would you know? I'm not crazy about CB but i know what they serve "generally lukewarm", but it's more exciting and easier for a busload of retiree's from Ft Wayne IN to frequent than searching the backroads for a decent Mom and Pop. And i'm 25 years away from retirement...
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 09:01:22 (permalink)
    quote:

It's post like these that make me realize how different small town life on the west coast can be and is, for we don't have 1 cracker barrel, much less 3 to choose among.
    I'm not sure that's a bad thing.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 09:23:52 (permalink)
    We have one about a mile from where I work and I go there to buy Charms and Necco Wafer candies but have only eaten there a couple of times. The cars in the parking lots are about 75-80% out of state license plates and it's right off the interstate.

Cracker Barrel is the one and only restaurants in our area that serves southern-style foods, like grits, sausage gravy, chicken fried steak and those green beans cooked for a long time.

There are Roadfood type restaurants within two miles of Cracker Barrel and most have a line waiting to be seated at breakfast time so there seems to be room for both of them.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 10:39:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

And how would you know? I'm not crazy about CB but i know what they serve "generally lukewarm", but it's more exciting and easier for a busload of retiree's from Ft Wayne IN to frequent than searching the backroads for a decent Mom and Pop. And i'm 25 years away from retirement...

My comment was less a slam on a "busload of retirees from Ft Wayne, IN" than a question for the original poster. (S)He has posted numerous forum topics on Waffle House (moreso the lack thereof), where we think (s)he should eat in his/her own hometown, and Smokey Bones than of any place that one would consider "The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America."

Further, my comment was meant to say that there are more people like that -- that would pass up other places for CB -- then there are people who would follow more of a "roadfood" spirit.

While they do cater to buses, it is clearly not the only thing keeping them in business.

Steve
    jeepguy
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 11:00:27 (permalink)
    I meant to say ie, "How would they know"- not "you" where the great places are hidden. Sorry.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 11:59:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

I meant to say ie, "How would they know"- not "you" where the great places are hidden. Sorry.

Ahh...no worries. I know that for me, eating is an integral part of my trip. I don't know that I plan every meal at every town to which I travel, but I do tend to do a lot of research in advance, especially when driving. I am less apt to just veer off the highway and look for the first thing that looks familiar than most.

This web site and the Stern's books, among others, have been an invaluable resource in keeping me out of awful dining establishments.

Steve
    WaffleHouserules
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 13:12:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:

Well, this could be one reason. How many decent places did you pass up looking for the familiar mediocrity of Cracker Barrell?

i wanted the special they were having there that day.
    WaffleHouserules
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 13:14:12 (permalink)
    I take the interstate when i travel, i dont get off into no small towns looking for mom n pop resturants.
    WaffleHouserules
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 13:18:37 (permalink)
    That day was in ft wayne, me and some family members wanted the special they were having that day bad, we went to the 2 locations in ft wayne they said wait 45 min at both of them, so we went up to auburn,in and sit down at cb and ate. then we stopped at sonic on the way back.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 13:21:23 (permalink)
    quote:

Simple. Touristas are elstupido & perhaps mucho gordo.

WaffleHouserules
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 13:45:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

Tourist? I practally live in ft wayne,in. me, and some family members there really love cracker barell.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 14:25:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

It's post like these that make me realize how different small town life on the west coast can be and is, for we don't have 1 cracker barrel, much less 3 to choose among.
    I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

Not just small town life. Name one of ANY "family dining" chain and we don't have one in San Francisco. After years of seeing Olive Garden adds on TV, I'm tempted to cross that ugly bridge to your beloved East bay to find one so I can try it.

Never been tempted by Cracker Barrel, though. I've read too many things I didn't like about their corporate policies.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 14:26:25 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

Tourist? I practally live in ft wayne,in. me, and some family members there really love cracker barell.

Whatever... I'd rather go to a Denny's and/or even a Shoney's than have 2 endure a trip to CB...
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 14:34:42 (permalink)
    quote:

I take the interstate when i travel, i dont get off into no small towns looking for mom n pop resturants.

Sadly, I have to say, "Me too". When I drive, I am usually alone (or just me and my cat) and all I want to do is get where I'm going. I could take an extra day or two and stop more for regional foods, but that means another day or two in ugly, smelly motel rooms. I love mom n' pop restaurants, but when I'm travelling long distance, eating is just something I have to do to keep driving--like stopping for gas.
    WaffleHouserules
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 14:37:47 (permalink)
    I like fast food. When I want something I get it and I go.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 14:39:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:

Sadly, I have to say, "Me too". When I drive, I am usually alone (or just me and my cat) and all I want to do is get where I'm going. I could take an extra day or two and stop more for regional foods, but that means another day or two in ugly, smelly motel rooms. I love mom n' pop restaurants, but when I'm travelling long distance, eating is just something I have to do to keep driving--like stopping for gas.

Neither do I. But!!!!, my habits are changing, rapidly...
    WaffleHouserules
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 15:26:49 (permalink)
    I do ocasionally eat at this mom n pop style resturant in harlan,in outside of ft wayne.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 16:01:29 (permalink)
    quote:

Then why bother to hang out HERE!--where the entire purpose of tthe place is to point out exactly where those Mom and Pops that YOU dont want to find! why not go to Anyoldchainnearthe exit.com Those folks might have several good reasons why the Crackerbarrel is always full!
    WaffleHouserules
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 16:41:39 (permalink)
    Im trying to find some of these mom n pops. Its hard to find them on the interstates.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 18:11:43 (permalink)
    Snork; <tweak, tweak>. WHR, you slay me, the way you love to stir things up is a hoot!

The last really long cross country car trip I took was from NE PA to Chicago on Rt 80. There aren't even any good CHAIN restaurants from Buckhorn Plaza west to the PA/OH border. We packed sandwiches.

BTW, I'm glad you like the CB, my wife and daughter do too; but I can't stand it. I think the food is virtually unpalateable. And my last two meals were Smokey Bones and Lone Star. Both were "OK enough", I got nothing against chains for chains sake. But Cracker Barrel is pretty rank, not because it's a chain but because the food sucks.

Tom
    WaffleHouserules
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 18:25:28 (permalink)
    Chicken n Dumplins are good, thats all my dad goes there for. I know what your talking about in pa, there isint even any good chains there, I take that turnpike from toledo ohio to breezwood pa and then i get off on 70. I cant eat again till i get deep into maryland. turnpikes suck as far as food goes.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 19:26:46 (permalink)

I won't patronize them for their decidedly mediocre food after learning about their consistently poor record of how they treat their employees--especially those whose sexuality somehow offends the corporate sensibilities.

So, in reponse to the question of why they are always busy in some areas, I suppose the only answer is that many people in those areas are more interested in lukewarm, mediocre food than they are in the rights of their fellow Americans. To me, that is a sad commentary, but then that is just one man's opinion--and I thank God that I still have the right to voice my opinion about policies like those that are practiced at places like Cracker Barrel.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 20:42:59 (permalink)
    Well spoken, Tedbear !!

Cheers, John
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 20:43:21 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Beats me. Some people have just the right combination of poor taste and a dead palate... plus utterly no sense of adventure.
    Unchaining My Heart, Ort. Carlton in Athens, 30601.
    lbb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 22:19:11 (permalink)
    I ate at a CB once. I held my nose at the politics, didn't realize I'd also have to hold my nose for the food. Worst meal I ever paid for, and it wasn't all that cheap either. I don't know why anybody would ever eat at one of these twice; you know the saying, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."
    WaffleHouserules
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cracker Barell why is it always packed? 2005/04/03 22:28:15 (permalink)
    I didnt like it at 1st, but I grew to it. its the only place my uncle ever eats at. I like some of the specials they have there. Their country ham isint really country ham, its injected with salt, not cured. waffle houses country ham is cured I belive. i like the chicken dinner on sunday's at cracker barell.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1