Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Snowbird
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2006/08/20 12:22:01 (permalink)

CrackerBarrel Old Country Store

CrackerBarrel Old Country Store ...!

This is absolutely the best place for breakfast. We are Canadians who drive from Ontario to Florida every year. I plan our journey so that we stop for the night where there is a Cracker Barrel nearby.

The hashbrown casserole is to die for and their bacon is so fantastic that we buy 2 or 3 pounds of it to take with us. Usually we end up heading to a location near our destination to buy evern more bacon. The grits are yummy and the eggs done to perfection!

I think the best part of our winter vacation is our stops at the CrackerBarrel Old Country Store.

Ontario/Florida

40 Replies Related Threads

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/20 13:02:19 (permalink)
    Put some variety in your routine and try a Waffle House. Then post a comparison.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/20 13:48:40 (permalink)
    I hate Cracker Barrell, but last year I was dragged into one against my will at dinner time, and I ordered breakfast, which they serve all day and night- I have to admit that it was pretty good. But it wasn't any better than or not even as good as I might have found at a local Mom and Pop place. And at a Mom and Pop i wouldn't have had to put up with that damn country store and all the crap, junk, geegaws, and useless paraphenalia that force you to traipse through to get to the dining room.

As to bacon, yes the CB serves a pretty good bacon, but I guarantee you could drive a few miles off the Interstate and find a local grocery selling a local or regional bacon that would be well worth the experience.

Cheers, John
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/20 15:06:31 (permalink)
    Count me in the minority I guess, I'm not a big fan. That doesn't invalidate your opinion at all; Cracker Barrel just isn't for me, I guess. But I can understand your preference for a reliable experience when in a strange setting.

The purpose of this website, and by extension this forum, is to help folks find alternatives to chains when traveling. It's good to know that when the only choice is chains, Cracker Barrel has good breakfasts... but you could also check the reviews section the next time you are going Ontario/Florida and think about planning your stop around one of the excellent local diners or restaurants! Of course if you want to stick with Cracker Barrel that's OK too; I'm not hatin' on it, just pointing out the choices that you've discovered by finding Roadfood!

Cheers,

Tom
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/20 15:38:51 (permalink)
    Cracker Barrel is the one restaurant that I would go to only if I was really desperate. I cannot understand their tacky gift shop which you have to wade your way through and yet everyone seems to love it. I dislike their "cookie cutter" servers and the food which takes so long to get and yet is nothing special, and the prices are not either.

Many people love this chain and more power to them. My opinion is that the place has a lot of politically incorrect issues and is really low brow.
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/20 21:50:06 (permalink)
    Cracker Barrel, for travelers on limited access highways, is the safest, surest alternative for a meal stop. The restaurants are kept pretty clean, the service is friendly. The bathrooms are OK.

However, while the food smacks of potential , the place just doesn't seem to deliver on its Down Home promise. Yet, the victuals are generally delivered hot and edible.

Then again, the portions are small, probably to remain somewhat competitive with the major fast food competition.

It'd be great to go to a restaurant that had all those country type dishes prepared really, really well.

Bottom line, if you don't want to veer off the beaten path whilst trying to make good time on the highway, Cracker Barrel makes sense. But, unless you live in an area bereft of choices, it would hardly be called a destination.
    The Bear
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/20 22:08:54 (permalink)
    I like cracker barrell as my last resort, the food is usually good, service friendly, CLEAN BATHROOMS. I try and find the "off the beaten path" places first, but if I am pressed for time or the local prospects don't look promising then cracker barrell here I come.

xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/20 22:13:51 (permalink)
    the only times we ever stopped at cracker barrel
    was when we were hauling butt and needed to
    cover at least 600 miles a day. it was the
    one real rest stop we'd take. i'm just glad
    we don't have a van..hubster would put a
    port a potty in the back and only stop for gas.
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/21 07:25:09 (permalink)
    Fortunately CB serves breakfast all day; it's been my experience that's the only edible meal. When my dad visits he insists on going there, although now that he lives in Florida and is relatively near one that might change. ;)
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3434
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/21 12:18:21 (permalink)
    I used to go there a lot, primarily because I find making greens at home a total PITA, and theirs are pretty darn good. Breakfast is breakfast is breakfast...I've not found ANYWHERE that it was any different, be it mom & pop or a chain...ambience is another thing entirely.

Also, they have Stewart's Orange, and I consider that a treat since it's really pretty expensive at the store (and not always available).

The one near my house closed a while back, though, and it's really entirely too hard to drive to the other side of town where traffic sucks to go to one. Haven't been in about five years, I guess.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/21 15:06:17 (permalink)
    CB is tthe last place for any meal for me. Slim Jims and Coke are a better bet.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/21 17:30:08 (permalink)
    o stewart's diet rootbeer.....
    too bad they don't have the big bottles anymore.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/21 18:46:28 (permalink)
    sometimes I hit the store part to see if they have any interesting coca-cola items for my kitchen. Like towels, napkins, spoon rest, etc when my usual places are not carrying the item.

offlady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 343
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/25 16:28:53 (permalink)
    I love Cracker Barrel and we always stop there when traveling because we don't have any in our area. We usually enjoy our meals there, except this last time I ordered the Tortilla soup and it was bad. Everything else was decent. Sometimes the food is hit or miss. I always end up buying a bunch of their old fashioned snacks that are hard to find elsewhere, and get them as gifts too.
    xannie_01
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/25 16:35:01 (permalink)
    okay, i admit it.
    i'll stop just long enough to buy
    the lavander hand lotion.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18257
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/25 19:10:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by xannie_01

the only times we ever stopped at cracker barrel
    was when we were hauling butt and needed to
    cover at least 600 miles a day. it was the
    one real rest stop we'd take. i'm just glad
    we don't have a van..hubster would put a
    port a potty in the back and only stop for gas.

Sounds like he knows what he's about. That's a great idea. I have one in my camper, but you have to stop to get back to it.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/26 06:42:45 (permalink)
    I enjoy CB for breakfast when traveling, won't stand in line though. I haven't had lunch or dinner there but I might give it a shot in a pinch. Chow jim
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/27 18:38:04 (permalink)
    Snowbird's post is looking more and more like spam. Who the hell takes the time to refer to these places as "CrackerBarrel Old Country Store", and twice in the same post, unless they're plowing a corporate furrow?

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/27 19:41:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

Snowbird's post is looking more and more like spam. Who the hell takes the time to refer to these places as "CrackerBarrel Old Country Store", and twice in the same post, unless they're plowing a corporate furrow?

I got that feeling , as well...
    could he be the new marketing director for Cracker Barrel...

I agree with some of the posts that say "good in a pinch......but for breakfast only".

I do like the "pop culture" stuff in the gift shop, like the coca cola memorabalia........I end up finding more stuff I don't really need. (But I'm impulsive.)

About the best thing I'll say about the place (besides the bathrooms) are that they are good for catching some smiles! (the handful of times I've been there , I've always gotten friendly service)
    I was probably just lucky, though...
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/29 18:32:46 (permalink)
    My daughter loves the place, I only go under strong objection, altough the breakfast is ok the amount of time it takes.. everything from the wait outside to the long wait AFTER placing your order just aggravates me, and the overpriced "store" grrrrrrrrr..
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/30 09:27:24 (permalink)
    In my part of New England Cracker Barrel is not very well known, so the wait in the joke shop is usually just long enough to raise a chuckle and hit the can.

And, it's one of the few places around, without going into the city for Soul food, that serves anything resembling Southern cooking (and I'm probably one of the few people around the 'burbs who would want something resembling Southern cooking). So if I want some pintos or greens or an ersatz chicken fried steak, I have to break down and go to Cracker Barrel. Just wish they'd add blackeyed peas to the menu.
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/30 14:48:07 (permalink)
    Actually, I think CB's breakfasts are quite poor and I won't stop there for breakfast. I do enjoy their chicken fried chicken, however, and the lemonade (generally) is to die for.
    fhoran
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/31 22:32:58 (permalink)
    Yeah, Snowbird is clearly a marketing scam artist (oops, just kidding - if you aren't, then welcome aboard but I am a tad skeptical). In any event, I have always liked Cracker Barrel and have eaten at them all over the country. I think their breakfasts are pretty good - I get the Old Timers which comes with sausage and eggs, which they usually cook pretty close to specs, their hashbrown casserole which is pretty good but requires antacids later in the day and biscuits and gravy. Up north, you have to request the grits and the server looks at you kind of funny when you do. Their orange juice is pretty good. Chicken fried chicken is okay.

I can't believe you folks don't love the gift shop! What's wrong with you?! Where else can you see a plastic spider that drops down from a box when you clap your hands? It's art. And that gag box with the recorded voice of the kid yelling "let me out", well, that's worth the trip by itself. Better than Bob Evans though. Can someone check out Snowbird however. "Best part of our winter vacation!" Puhleeze! Fred
    xannie_01
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/31 22:36:40 (permalink)
    hey fred,
    i bought a rocking chair!
    was living in an extended stay for five months
    and just wanted another place to sit.
    of course, dragging it around cross country
    got old real fast but it brings back memories..
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/08/31 23:53:02 (permalink)
    I'll confess that once in a while, I'll stop at a CB for a cheap breakfast. Yes, I said cheap. Three biscuits and gravy with a side of sausage for $2.99 is less than it costs at Hardee's. They don't call me poverty Pete for nothing.
    xannie_01
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/09/01 00:10:50 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete,
    thank you..
    you never fail to make me smile
    you are the Jack Benny of roadfood.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/09/01 00:46:07 (permalink)
    Every time I've eaten at Cracker Barrel Old Junky Store I've gotten the drizzes. I avoid it like the plague. Plus the service is ghastly and the wait after ordering is ridiculous. I think they do that so the stultified patrons will go into that tchotchke laden gift shop and buy stuff lest they pass away from boredom.

Give me a Waffle House any day.
    fhoran
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/09/03 23:13:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by xannie_01

hey fred,
    i bought a rocking chair!
    was living in an extended stay for five months
    and just wanted another place to sit.
    of course, dragging it around cross country
    got old real fast but it brings back memories..

dayle, Their rocking chairs are one of their best features! I do like their breakfasts too (but Snowbird is still probably a marketing director) Fred
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2391
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/09/04 02:20:47 (permalink)
    Cracker Barrel to me is like the one crazy friend that you hang out with sometimes, but they're that "bubble friend". They're not the first one you'd call, but every once in a while they're fun and have a good story to tell about some crazy misadventure of theirs. I do love the rocking chairs and the gift shop though. The only place I can find Valomilks uo north and a good supply of Goo-Goo Clusters. Plus I like the CDs of old time radio serials like The Shadow and The Lone Ranger.
    I had a really great experience at a Cracker Barrel in Virginia. It started in Florida when I visited a friend of mine. Spent some time at his place, visited relatives in Clearwater, but didn't get to see my cousin Brian as I had hoped to. So my buddy and I are driving a few days later to Central NY and we stopped at a Cracker Barrel in VA. My buddy is in the gift shop and says, "Hey, isn't that your cousin Brian?" I turn around and Brian and his girlfriend had stopped there for dinner too. Got to have dinner with them and catch up on old times.
    rpc717
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: CrackerBarrel Old Country Store 2006/09/16 23:53:25 (permalink)
    I've never had good food or good service at any Cracker Barrel, so I usually avoid the place. In fact, the only gift I've ever re-gifted - a practice I abhor - was a Cracker Barrel gift card.

I do like the gift shop, though. And I'd LOVE to be enlightened as to what their "politically incorrect issues" are!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1