Cracking eggs ... a silly question

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
Re:Cracking eggs ... a silly question 2011/04/13 16:14:15 (permalink)
Foodbme

Scorereader

annpeeples

Well, I just crack them with 2 hands, on the stove next to the pan, then open eggs up into the pan.100% success rate.Didnt think there was a "procedure". But then again, I was a short order cook in the 70s at Waffle House and Lums.

that's what we did at Big Boy's, too. not pan though, we had a flat grill. Usually opened with one hand while I flipped another egg over easy with my right hand.

You're a multi-tasker huh?
IMHO, Fried Eggs should never be cooked on a flattop. Only in a pan. When eggs are cooked on a flattop, the whites tend to spread too far. In a pan, the whites of the eggs are kept from spreading, allowing for a more evenly cooked egg and a better plate presentation.  Same goes for Scrambled Eggs and Omelets. Never had fluffy scrambled eggs or an omelet cooked on a flattop.

never had that problem, and for omelettes, flat top was great because I could make the tri-fold omelette more easily. If you want the half moon look, pan works. I like to present omelette in a tri-fold fashion. Although, we may have used a small pan for fried eggs...I don't recall now. I did try to forget a lot of what happened at that place. My fondest kitchen memories was making three meals a day in a mess hall atmosphere, at a summer camp. While some people remember summer camp food as being pretty bad, the food at our camp was very good. I remember 1st year counselors who came to us form other camps would comment that it was the only summer camp they recall where they may have gained weight, because they ate fulll meals and sometimes seconds because they lied it so much. Well, it was either that, or they drank too much bug juice. 

Later on in college, working at the grill, we used small pans for fried eggs, except for the eggs used in sandwiches, which were cooked on the flat grill using those contraptions that make 8 perfect circled eggs (patented by some McDonald's worker, I believe), And we had an omelette station much like you see at most buffet places. Frankly, I don't care for small pan omelettes - the eggs are almost always too dry because they cook the egg by lifting the edges, then flip the whole thing over. I hate dried out eggs.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
Re:Cracking eggs ... a silly question 2011/04/14 17:54:48 (permalink)
so, last night, was breakfast for dinner night in my household. I decided to try my one handed cracking technique. I cracked 8 eggs in total, left hand (which, admittedly, is my dominant hand), on a flat surface, and dropped into pan. Broke not a one...until all eight were in the pan and I broke out the fork to scramble them ...I figured I experiment the procedure with a dish that didn't matter if they broke - still, I felt good that I still have it in me - next time, Ill try to flip an egg with my right hand...that could be a disaster! 

post edited by Scorereader - 2011/04/14 18:11:43
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10080
Re:Cracking eggs ... a silly question 2011/05/07 15:39:08 (permalink)
From Saveur Magazine - The Essential Egg Techniques:
Learn how to boil, scramble, crack, fluff and peel an egg! WOW!
http://www.saveur.com/article/Techniques/Essential-Egg-Techniques?cmpid=enews050611
post edited by Foodbme - 2011/05/07 18:05:09
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1