Cracklins

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
2003/12/12 09:25:57 (permalink)

Cracklins

On another thread under cornbread, I brought up adding cracklins. I am not sure they are used in the other parts of the USA, but in the northeast part of Tennessee close to Cumberland Gap, they are used quite frequently.

My grandfather had a huge farm in this part of the world. When I was very young, I recall that during hog killing time generally around Thanksgiving the skin of the hog with fat attached was rendered down to make lard. My grandfather would always give me some of these snacks. He always added a little salt and I thought they were wonderful. I noticed that the menfolk would always go to the springhouse and bring out a jar with some liquid in it .

I have attached a website that goes into detail and I thought it was interesting.

[url]www.Deltablues.net/cracklin.html[/url]

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

19 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7281
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/12 10:04:08 (permalink)
    My first experience with cracklins was last month in Alabama. Unfortunately they were in a bag we bought in a grocery store and were as hard as my head and about as tasteless. But I bet fresh out of the fat ones are TASTY MORSELS! Sundancer......what was the liquid in those jars????
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/12 10:08:52 (permalink)
    Corn squeezins ???? NO ????
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/12 10:10:21 (permalink)
    Corn squeezings yes

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/12 10:19:56 (permalink)
    Hi Paul.

Quite often, one of the guys will be making fresh cracklins at the BBQ contests I attend. They are fantastic!!!

John
    alesrus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/12 10:23:45 (permalink)
    Thanks Sundancer that was a real fun site. Very easy to follow instructions. I am glad he made it so easy for us northern types!
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/12 21:22:25 (permalink)
    Chucharron is another great pork fat dish ... it completes a Colombian breakfast. That cracklin' technique looks awesome, but I think I will try it first with a professional ....
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/12 21:35:11 (permalink)
    The cracklins fresh out of the cooker are wonderful and I wish I had some now.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4120
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/13 14:09:44 (permalink)
    What is the difference (if any) between cracklins and chicharrones? [|)]
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/13 17:59:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails

I am not sure that I can tell you but one thing that I know is that cracklins are tasty, faty and are good. Maybe they are the same.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/13 18:26:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails

I am not sure that I can tell you but one thing that I know is that cracklins are tasty, faty and are good. Maybe they are the same.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

As far as I know, they are one and the same.

John
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/13 19:21:56 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    The only differences are the language used and perhaps a little change in the method of preparation. I think it would be totally adequate to refer to cracklings and chicharrones as culinary first cousins.
    By the way, some very good pork skins in sacks are available here from a small maker in Florence, South Carolina. Threre is also a decent brand that comes out of Griffin, Georgia. I can add specifics if anyone is interested, but I'll have to go to the supermarket to get that information. Our local Mexicans really love them, and exhibit great surprise when they espy them in stores.
    This conjures up memories of Ma Groover's cracklin' cornbread. God bless her! - Decent similar cornbread comes from Harold's Barbecue on McDonough Blvd. in S/E Atlanta... Grandma Hembree's recipe is still used... fortunately.
    Only Slightly Hungrily, Ort. Carlton in Brrr-Ridden Athens, Georrrrgia.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7281
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/13 19:30:28 (permalink)
    After reading these posts I'm sorry I missed out on cracklins when I was in the South. Oh, they must be georgous in cornbread......
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/14 10:10:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

On another thread under cornbread, I brought up adding cracklins. I am not sure they are used in the other parts of the USA, but in the northeast part of Tennessee close to Cumberland Gap, they are used quite frequently.

My grandfather had a huge farm in this part of the world. When I was very young, I recall that during hog killing time generally around Thanksgiving the skin of the hog with fat attached was rendered down to make lard. My grandfather would always give me some of these snacks. He always added a little salt and I thought they were wonderful. I noticed that the menfolk would always go to the springhouse and bring out a jar with some liquid in it .

I have attached a website that goes into detail and I thought it was interesting.

[url]www.Deltablues.net/cracklin.html[/url]

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Sundancer.
    i cant thank you enough for posting the link to this wonderful site!!! A true treasure!!! I am building my new home next door to what has been a jukejoint here in Oklahoma --and the birthplace and home of DC Minner---Okla Music Hall of Fame blues man--for nigh on to 75 yrs. This very American institution is vanishing rapidily and Junior is someone who i mst investigate more thoughly---sounds like a road trip to me!!! Again---thanks for the posting!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/14 10:39:55 (permalink)
    You know, I think I would like to meet him also. I read about the restaurants that he likes to frequent. to get to that site you have to click on "how I did this"

The pigs ear sandwich sounded sort of strange. I would have never though to using pigs ears to make a sandwich. That would qualify for the bizarre sandwich thread.

It seems he is a blues hound and likes to frequent black restaurants. Sounded like he found some good places.

The Mayor is a blues guy and he would appreciate this site.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/14 10:57:01 (permalink)
    You're right Paul. I really enjoyed reading that article...and follow up on related sites when I can.
    keep em coming !
    AL
    glennpan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/17 10:21:12 (permalink)
    I had my first taste of cracklins about a year ago as I was driving down I-65 from Louisville to Nashville. I was looking for a BBQ joint or a place to get fried catfish and was near the KY-TN border about 30 minutes north of Nashville when I stumbled onto a 24 hour place (I forget what it is called) attached to a hotel (I believe it was a Ramada, although it could have been a Best Western or Comfort Inn), that had an all-you could eat catfish dinner. This wasn't a buffet, they pan fried it to order, and brought it out to you when you asked for it.

On my way out, I noticed these Ziploc bags full of cracklins for about $1 at the counter, and I bought one on the way out. If I had known quite how addictive these things were, I would have cleaned them out, and taken down the name of the place.

Since I didn't, I have gone through cracklin withdrawal, as the Chicago area is not known for being a cracklin hotbed. If anyone knows this place, please post the name of it. Sorry that my description was so vague.

Glenn

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4120
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/22 16:41:32 (permalink)
    Good......so I can gain weight in the rest of the country too!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Cracklins 2003/12/22 16:58:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by glennpan

I had my first taste of cracklins about a year ago as I was driving down I-65 from Louisville to Nashville. I was looking for a BBQ joint or a place to get fried catfish and was near the KY-TN border about 30 minutes north of Nashville when I stumbled onto a 24 hour place (I forget what it is called) attached to a hotel (I believe it was a Ramada, although it could have been a Best Western or Comfort Inn), that had an all-you could eat catfish dinner. This wasn't a buffet, they pan fried it to order, and brought it out to you when you asked for it.

On my way out, I noticed these Ziploc bags full of cracklins for about $1 at the counter, and I bought one on the way out. If I had known quite how addictive these things were, I would have cleaned them out, and taken down the name of the place.

Since I didn't, I have gone through cracklin withdrawal, as the Chicago area is not known for being a cracklin hotbed. If anyone knows this place, please post the name of it. Sorry that my description was so vague.

Glenn

Glenn,
    That sounds like you were in White House, Tennessee. The great thing about that exit is that you can buy beer 24 hours a day, 7 days a week there... legally. White House ain't got no dadgum closin' law.
    Tennesseeingly, Ort. Carlton in Not-Too-Faraway Athens, Georgia.
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Cracklins 2004/07/21 18:54:21 (permalink)
    I posted this on another thread but I'll add the same info here. best cracklins I've had and can highly recommend came from a place in Clarksdale, MS called "Kim's Cracklins". That's the place that makes'em. You can buy pork or chicken cracklins, regular or bbq flavor and I thuink they even have a few other varieties.

Ph# 662-627-7102

Ask for a sampler box. Very inexpensive

carl reitz
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1