Crave foods

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6174
2011/06/25 17:49:35 (permalink)

Crave foods

I am very seriously thinking of opening another place, same name, same food in the DC area, in addition I want to open a place that serves a limited variety of entrees and sandwiches, not high end. Would you help with your choices of sandwiches, entrees, and sides, that from time to time you find yourself craving. many thanks in advance!

16 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    Re:Crave foods 2011/06/25 18:25:08 (permalink)
    Chewie:  Good luck!  My brother who is a stock broker and also owned a Lincoln Mercury Subaru dealership in Minneapolis opened a very successful restaurant call T. R. McCoy's  It did real well as it had a family room as well as a adult section with lotsa games and a bar.  They were a 50's style restaurant and had neet entertainment such as Chubby Checker.  It was doing so well that he opened a second restaurant and between all his duties, it wore his A-- out.  He finally sold them both,  My advice is KISS, Keep it simple stupid.  If you income is adequate, it will be difficult to maintain quality between two places.  It is not twice the effort but more like 10 times..  I cannot explain why but it is.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN  
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6324
    Re:Crave foods 2011/06/25 20:01:20 (permalink)
    I crave deep-fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches. That is a Midwest Indiana, Illinois, Iowa specialty that is rarely found elsewhere. Corkie's, later Dominion, in McLean served them but I understand they no longer do with new ownership. The local mini-chain Austin Grill has a fair facsimile of them but they are not quite the same. Other than that I don't know of any other place. Midwest transplants in the DC area would crave them.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Crave foods 2011/06/25 22:31:36 (permalink)
    Well, if you open a restaurant serving foods people crave, you probably wouldn't want to name it "Crave", since there are already Crave Restaurants in Minnesota, New York and Ohio (and probably in other places, too).  Maybe you could call it "Memories of Home".
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Crave foods 2011/06/26 11:42:05 (permalink)
    6star

Well, if you open a restaurant serving foods people crave, you probably wouldn't want to name it "Crave", since there are already Crave Restaurants in Minnesota, New York and Ohio (and probably in other places, too).  Maybe you could call it "Memories of Home".

Probably gonna call it Porky Big's!

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3997
    Re:Crave foods 2011/06/26 12:40:01 (permalink)
    Of all the goodies available in the Metro-DC area, saltenas share the top spot with G&M crabcakes.  Look at the pics herein and tell me you don't want to go sample several:

http://www.dcfoodies.com/2008/01/bolivian-salten.html

THe "green stuff" you see on the side is llajwa (pronounced yaw-quah).  Use sparingly.

Don't confuse this very juicy treat with empanadas which tend to be rather dry.
    BelleReve
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1153
    Re:Crave foods 2011/06/26 12:43:05 (permalink)
    deep fried foods - onion rings, french fries, fried chicken, (Davydd's pork tenderloins?)

home-cooking-comfort food -
    beef stew with carrots and potatoes over rice or egg   
       noodles
    stuffed bell peppers 
    meatloaf 
    chicken and dumplings
    pot roast
    green beans
    just about any dried bean except for black-eyed peas

pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2358
    Re:Crave foods 2011/06/26 13:07:26 (permalink)
    Hey Chewy, just when I thought you were ready for the Hammock, you want to open another restaurant.
    I know my customers like when I offer something that ends with  the word "MELT". I did A BBQ Pork and Cheddar melt hoagie the other day and it people loved it. MY hoagie menu has:
    Phily Cheese Steak
    Beefeater.......w/sautee mushrooms with melted swiss
    Chicken Fajita Montery Jack Melt
    Crispy Chicken Hoagie

Chicken Parmesan Mozzarella melt also does well
    I think you would be good at offering comfort food, homemade/ Southern
    ............................Chubby's Gritts....................
    Po'boys could be a good idea............Oyster PB, Soft shell crab PB, and so on..................Large portions, good food is what your about....................Take care...............pnwc
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Crave foods 2011/06/26 16:02:49 (permalink)
    I've had the Bolivian Saltenas, not in DC, but in Cochabamba, Bolivia. They are indeed the treat. They come with a hard-boiled small quail's egg in the middle.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Crave foods 2011/06/26 17:21:29 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

Of all the goodies available in the Metro-DC area, saltenas share the top spot with G&M crabcakes.  Look at the pics herein and tell me you don't want to go sample several:

http://www.dcfoodies.com/2008/01/bolivian-salten.html

THe "green stuff" you see on the side is llajwa (pronounced yaw-quah).  Use sparingly.

Don't confuse this very juicy treat with empanadas which tend to be rather dry.

That looks and sounds fantastic, Jim!

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Crave foods 2011/06/26 17:22:49 (permalink)
    Davydd

I crave deep-fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches. That is a Midwest Indiana, Illinois, Iowa specialty that is rarely found elsewhere. Corkie's, later Dominion, in McLean served them but I understand they no longer do with new ownership. The local mini-chain Austin Grill has a fair facsimile of them but they are not quite the same. Other than that I don't know of any other place. Midwest transplants in the DC area would crave them.

The first thing I thought of, really!

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Crave foods 2011/06/26 17:27:44 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

Hey Chewy, just when I thought you were ready for the Hammock, you want to open another restaurant.
    I know my customers like when I offer something that ends with  the word "MELT". I did A BBQ Pork and Cheddar melt hoagie the other day and it people loved it. MY hoagie menu has:
    Phily Cheese Steak
    Beefeater.......w/sautee mushrooms with melted swiss
    Chicken Fajita Montery Jack Melt
    Crispy Chicken Hoagie

Chicken Parmesan Mozzarella melt also does well
    I think you would be good at offering comfort food, homemade/ Southern
    ............................Chubby's Gritts....................
    Po'boys could be a good idea............Oyster PB, Soft shell crab PB, and so on..................Large portions, good food is what your about....................Take care...............pnwc

Bill, all great ideas, keep them coming please!

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Crave foods 2011/06/26 17:33:55 (permalink)
    I just made a customer a Pork Belly sandwich that I put 2 fried eggs on, the look on his face was pure bliss with each bite...a keeper sandwich
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Crave foods 2011/06/26 19:00:23 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Davydd

The first thing I thought of, really!

I sure hope so if you are going to call it Porky Big's.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    Re:Crave foods 2011/06/26 20:19:34 (permalink)
    Porky Big's is a great name.  I just hope that the hop between Maryland and DC does not wear you out.  You only have so much energy and it gets much much harder to control the taste and quality even if you think you can.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re:Crave foods 2011/06/26 20:29:13 (permalink)
    How about doing a monthly special featuring an especially craved item from different sections of the country.  Maybe even call it the Craver.  I'd come back every month to see what the new special is and try it out.  Gives folks an excellent reason to repeat.  Instead of a sense of 'been there done that' which can impact even the most excellent places it would build some anticipation.  Of course there is the demographic that likes to stick with the tried and true but for the more adventurous it could be almost like discovering a new special place every month.  Plus for those who really enjoy that month's specialty they know that it's only there for a limited time so might even repeat visits within the month.

As for my own cravings,  I lived in Grand Rapids for awhile in the 80's and occasionally find myself craving the Wet Burritos from the Beltline Bar.  There was also a little hole in the wall bar down Michigan St from where I lived that served giant mugs of beer, probably 32 oz or more, but what I crave is the carrot sticks that they would let soak in some sort of nearly clear hot sauce that we would refer to as battery acid.  Made all that beer go down REAL easy.  Wish I could duplicate that sauce real bad.
    ed
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    Re:Crave foods 2011/06/26 20:34:11 (permalink)
    On my crave list:
    French dip sandwiches
    Club sandwiches on toast
    BLT's
    Stewed tomatoes
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1